The Gun Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
In the men's Bible study this morning our pastor discussed our churches' attitude toward an experience like that in Texas. I learned that at least one of our security persons carries concealed whenever the church is open. He also mentioned that the off duty policemen that come to our church all carry when they attend.

I also learned our churches' recommendation about what to do: "Run, hide, or fight" depending on how God leads you at the time. I don't know if they will be mentioning that from the pulpit though.

Do I dare ask who carries concealed to church? Or is that something we ought not to discuss in a public forum.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
In the men's Bible study this morning our pastor discussed our churches' attitude toward an experience like that in Texas. I learned that at least one of our security persons carries concealed whenever the church is open. He also mentioned that the off duty policemen that come to our church all carry when they attend.

I also learned our churches' recommendation about what to do: "Run, hide, or fight" depending on how God leads you at the time. I don't know if they will be mentioning that from the pulpit though.

Do I dare ask who carries concealed to church? Or is that something we ought not to discuss in a public forum.
I have no problem answering the question.... I have not carried in church...yet. I am thinking I will start doing that, though.

MichaelOwen

Nov 6, 2017
I have no problem answering the question.... I have not carried in church...yet. I am thinking I will start doing that, though.
I think it would be a good idea if you did. I go to church with a few officers and a few veterans, and they ain't shy about carrying.

Dec 12, 2013

I do....always!

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I do always as well, satan seems willing to send his misguided ones there to do harm, it seems a part of our obligation to bear each others burdens. Would we want to stand by and watch a pregnant mother and 14 month old children murdered??

Dec 12, 2013
I do always as well, satan seems willing to send his misguided ones there to do harm, it seems a part of our obligation to bear each others burdens. Would we want to stand by and watch a pregnant mother and 14 month old children murdered??
Amen.....I would instantly go into lethal mode if I seen that happening.....and like the guy in Texas....I would have lit the murderous scum bag up....he would have not made it to his truck....

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
from your avatar it looks like you are a Marine and have received training in what that means. Thank you for your service.
This is a great teaching I found just today I think applies to this need of focus and action, hope you enjoy.
https://youtu.be/mqmpXTAfbXA?t=1398

blessings

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Had a great visit to the gunshow, prayed with a lady for the healing of her shoulder, she became very hot, sometimes the healing power rests on a person in the form of heat.
Found a box of S&W 38 for some older revolvers I have.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014

In a public forum I don't think it's a forbidden subject, but if you go up to my uncle and ask him "do you have a gun on you right now?" he will not give you a direct yes/no answer. I'm not sure if the reason is tactical or social, but my uncle has a good reason for everything he does so I'm guessing it's not a good idea to go around asking people at church if they are packing.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
That is the nature of concealed carry, we are not to discuss it or pull it out. A perpetrator is ready and planning on doing harm, the element of a surprise response by the armed citizen is a valuable asset.
In a carry state the chance of every citizen being armed transfers protection to those who choose not to carry also.
Mass murders choose soft targets.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
A tool He has provided that we may protect His own , when He has us in a place to do, we are not to seek it out, our G-d knows the end from the beginning, and has a complete plan for our lives,if He allows us to be in an area where aid is needed we must be ready for His timing, it isn't merely self protection, we may be as the traders who bought Joseph, put in a place to preserve a life.
blessings

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2016
Look,,,,,, before I state my perspective on the Gun issue, here is some info about me
  • I have guns, a few shotguns and pistols
  • I have Military training, I was Artillery for 6 years
  • I am from the South, I am a rebel blooded American - live in Gun country
  • I have many military friends who personally own AR15's
Ok, so I am well aware of the 2nd amendment - and for many years I supported it. Slowly, with my experience and opinions, I am thinking more for our Country than for our wants and dreams. The AR-15 and many other semi-automatic guns are collected all over this country for the purpose of treating it like a toy, and not what our constitution meant in my loose interpretation of the 2nd amendment. We need to have Guns to protect ourselves from the Government and outside threats. But,,,,,, how far can this statement go? How far are you willing to shoot up in order to defend our Country and House? Lets look into the reality of the situation. Most gun owners in the South are deer hunters, and have little to no military BRM training at all. A shot gun is their best choice to defend their land because of the scatter and loud suppression effect. If a crazy man or woman uses a shotgun to go on a rampage, at least their capability of killing people is limited to the number of shells and blast of a shotgun. Even with a 6 shooter, 6 shots and they have to reload, giving the "good guy with a gun" argument a better chance at fighting back.

Yes, even if we made a law, if a bad man wants to get a gun that is semi-automatic or fully automatic, they will find a way. BUT to counter this argument,,,,,, its about the numbers, the likelihood of it happening. We cant prevent all mass shootings, but what we can do is make it hard as heck for them to get a gun. We can pass laws that will allow more screenings and paperwork to prevent someone with ill intent from arming themselves. I am tired of seeing and hearing about mass shootings! We have to do something about it!

Another issue I believe can stop the high frequency of shootings is faith and family. We need to increase our community involvement! When we are social, we are less likely to be depressed and angered. We need to do anything we can to mitigate the chances of evil and demons from taking over. We have to be more active in being the light, helping the needy, and most of all - keeping families together and talking. We are so individualistic in this country!

I dont have all the answers, and I dont have the strongest voice. But what i can do is hopefully inspire someone who has a voice to say something and make action happen, We need better regulations, we need more community involvement, we need families to help each other and love one another. One action can have little effect on the Nationwide issue, but if we can work on all the factors can help mitigate the chance of evil from happening, then we should be the light!

• make automatic weapons either illegal or hard to aquire
  • pull the community together! join more events, inspire more participation, and help the needy
  • improve our education and show our future generations that they can do something about it, we are all in this together
  • This individualistic mindset needs to change, we cant go on life thinking for ourselves and sticking our face in a phone or computer 24/7,,,, that wasted time could have been spent with friends, faith, and family
  • We have so many churches in this land, and from may faiths. Why cant we get together and conduct events within the community? more soup kitchens, more support for those in crisis, more counsel for those who are lost and in a tempest trifle,

I pray for the Families of those involved, any family that has lost a loved one, from a child to an elder, has so much pain in their hearts. I pray that they can find the strength that God has given them and to find peace.

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
Look,,,,,, before I state my perspective on the Gun issue, here is some info about me
  • I have guns, a few shotguns and pistols
  • I have Military training, I was Artillery for 6 years
  • I am from the South, I am a rebel blooded American - live in Gun country
  • I have many military friends who personally own AR15's
Ok, so I am well aware of the 2nd amendment - and for many years I supported it. Slowly, with my experience and opinions, I am thinking more for our Country than for our wants and dreams. The AR-15 and many other semi-automatic guns are collected all over this country for the purpose of treating it like a toy, and not what our constitution meant in my loose interpretation of the 2nd amendment. We need to have Guns to protect ourselves from the Government and outside threats. But,,,,,, how far can this statement go? How far are you willing to shoot up in order to defend our Country and House? Lets look into the reality of the situation. Most gun owners in the South are deer hunters, and have little to no military BRM training at all. A shot gun is their best choice to defend their land because of the scatter and loud suppression effect. If a crazy man or woman uses a shotgun to go on a rampage, at least their capability of killing people is limited to the number of shells and blast of a shotgun. Even with a 6 shooter, 6 shots and they have to reload, giving the "good guy with a gun" argument a better chance at fighting back.

Yes, even if we made a law, if a bad man wants to get a gun that is semi-automatic or fully automatic, they will find a way. BUT to counter this argument,,,,,, its about the numbers, the likelihood of it happening. We cant prevent all mass shootings, but what we can do is make it hard as heck for them to get a gun. We can pass laws that will allow more screenings and paperwork to prevent someone with ill intent from arming themselves. I am tired of seeing and hearing about mass shootings! We have to do something about it!

Another issue I believe can stop the high frequency of shootings is faith and family. We need to increase our community involvement! When we are social, we are less likely to be depressed and angered. We need to do anything we can to mitigate the chances of evil and demons from taking over. We have to be more active in being the light, helping the needy, and most of all - keeping families together and talking. We are so individualistic in this country!

I dont have all the answers, and I dont have the strongest voice. But what i can do is hopefully inspire someone who has a voice to say something and make action happen, We need better regulations, we need more community involvement, we need families to help each other and love one another. One action can have little effect on the Nationwide issue, but if we can work on all the factors can help mitigate the chance of evil from happening, then we should be the light!

• make automatic weapons either illegal or hard to aquire
  • pull the community together! join more events, inspire more participation, and help the needy
  • improve our education and show our future generations that they can do something about it, we are all in this together
  • This individualistic mindset needs to change, we cant go on life thinking for ourselves and sticking our face in a phone or computer 24/7,,,, that wasted time could have been spent with friends, faith, and family
You make a valid point and the framers of the constitution would agree with you to some extent in that, as Washington said, "the foundations of our freedom on are the twin pillars of religion and morality." The founding fathers knew that for our form of freedom to work there had to be individual commitments to morality and the greater good.

I disagree with you however because automatic weapons are already illegal and very hard to obtain. The Las Vegas shooter did not have an automatic weapon. He had a bump stock which made his rifle act like an automatic weapon.

He was attacking people he thought voted for Trump. He was a member of an american terrorist group that was far left politically.

I also protest your saying we can't go on thinking for ourselves. This is wrong on so many levels I can't even begin to explain why.

Thinking for ourselves is what differentiates us from sheep (or sheeple).

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Maybe it is time the 2nd amendment... is amended lol
lolololol..... wrong.

It was put there for a valid reason, which still exists. The writers of the constitution understood governments FAR better than you or I do. Especially you, apparently.

Without the protection the 2nd amendments provides the citizens of this nation, you might as well rip out the other amendments that guarantee the "right of the people..."

Just go ahead and move us right into an aristocracy, which is a short jump from a dictatorship/theocracy.

Personally, I vote NO.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
"religion" has brought us to this state, merely knowing about G-d , having learned from a person or institution has separated us from relationship with the person of Jesus. Jesus never instructs people to do these things, nor does he guide people to make some of the snarky comments and wrong viewpoints we see on Christian forums. We are called to love one another and do His good will toward one another. More laws or tweaking the ones we have obviously is not the answer. The answer is in each of our hearts and in our actions to love the unlovable. Someone missed the guidance to reach out to these people and bring them back to the fold.
Blaming an inanimate object, a firearm, a knife, a bar of soap in a sock, an icepick in the ear, is something from the adversaries camp.

MichaelOwen

Nov 6, 2017
"religion" has brought us to this state, merely knowing about G-d , having learned from a person or institution has separated us from relationship with the person of Jesus. Jesus never instructs people to do these things, nor does he guide people to make some of the snarky comments and wrong viewpoints we see on Christian forums. We are called to love one another and do His good will toward one another. More laws or tweaking the ones we have obviously is not the answer. The answer is in each of our hearts and in our actions to love the unlovable. Someone missed the guidance to reach out to these people and bring them back to the fold.
Blaming an inanimate object, a firearm, a knife, a bar of soap in a sock, an icepick in the ear, is something from the adversaries camp.

I agree, this is completely an issue of the heart. Has nothing to do with a material thing, but a spiritual thing. A true person of faith exhibits love, compassion, and understanding to his neighbor, but is not afraid to stand on the truth and hold firm to the teachings of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
It is not always necessarily a "heart/spirit" issue entirely. I believe that most of these mass shootings are the result of chemical manipulation of the brain, and its processes.

Statistics seem to prove that, as well.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I have heard it taught little sins give us a "chink" in the armor He provides, the adversary exploits the chink in the armor, Las Vegas miscreant was a gambler, may have had others character flaws, could the devil have been allowed to tweak his brain chemistry making it appear to be a "mental illness" when it some "mental illness" is a result of the enemy being allowed in through wrong living?
Do you suppose that is what was expressed in "a sin unto death" and some not being "a sin unto death"?
That being said, happy Turkey day, I think I will celebrate by going to the range.
blessings