The Gun Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
Anybody using or looking into the 327 Ruger revolvers?
Can't go wrong with a Ruger revolver.
I own three Ruger revolvers and love them all
Never had a single problem with any of them.
I don't buy odd calibers because of ammo cost and availability.
My EDC is an SP101 .357 snubby, model 5718.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
327 has been around for a while, I know some who are partial to it, I think it has been out long enough to not be an odd caliber anymore. I have become primarily a 38 special shooter for a while, maybe stick with that.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
327 has been around for a while, I know some who are partial to it, I think it has been out long enough to not be an odd caliber anymore. I have become primarily a 38 special shooter for a while, maybe stick with that.
My only revolver at this time is a .38 special... k frame S&W....

I would like to play with the SP101 revolver in .327 Fed... Being 6 shots would be nice. A 3" barrel would probably balance out just about right. Interesting cartridge, to read the "specs" on it.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I've heard lots of people do that... I imagine it would clean and de-grease like nobody's business...

I think I'd be a little cautious using it on polymer guns... I don't know if it would attack the polymer, or not. I've heard that it will definitely take the finish off a wood gunstock.
I just stick with gun oil. I first learned how to clean my pistol watching this video. YouTube makes everything easy. :eek:

[video=youtube;TXMFEoMtd_I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXMFEoMtd_I[/video]

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
wow, i'm dizzy from the selection. Only problem I have had is getting one that fills up too fast.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
wow, i'm dizzy from the selection. Only problem I have had is getting one that fills up too fast.
I just need room for my 9mm pistol, ammo, extra clip, hearing protection, eye protection.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
some have a divider that " moves " on the inside, full ammo on one side, empties on the other.
At one time I saw some small bags at a thrift store given out by a "crisis center" and so labeled, I always thought that
wound be a good label form an ammo pouch.
We are supposed to have ammo separate from the firearm here, but then eveybody has a CCW permit which negates that for those so licensed.
Nice looking bag, I am sure it is well thought out for the purpose.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
We are supposed to have ammo separate from the firearm here, but then eveybody has a CCW permit which negates that for those so licensed.
I plan on getting my CCW permit soon, even though the state of Missouri does not make it mandatory to have one in order to conceal and carry. I want the training and to be informed on laws in regards to the responsibility of owning a handgun.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Like a good citizen should. The same here, it is a responsibility and we want to do it right.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I just need room for my 9mm pistol, ammo, extra clip, hearing protection, eye protection.
..... and a good screwdriver set, and some markers, and a small notebook for taking notes, and some foam ear plugs to use under your muffs, and.....

well, you get the idea. :rolleyes:

It's an addiction.... feed it. :D

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
We finally were able to go to the indoor range for an hour or so, to shoot her new pistola.....

For some odd reason, their "rules" included, cannot take pictures or videos while on the range. :mad:

I wanted to get a couple of pics of her firing it, and her expression after her first magazine, but I wasn't allowed to do that. I suppose I should have simply thumbed my nose at the rules, and done it anyway, but, old training dies hard.

Bottom line, she LOVES it. Her eyes after shooting the first few shots were literally sparkling. She told me she's never enjoyed shooting as much as she enjoyed that one. She can't wait to go again....

Here are a couple of the targets.... she first started out by aiming at the "8", and was doing pretty well. I told her that when she goes to take her LTC class and shooting, that she will have to be aiming at the "X", for scoring. She tried some, aiming at the X, and grouped very nicely. The shots in the head area were me, playing around with my PT111 G2 at 7 yards. Most of the others were at 3 yards, to help build her confidence.

The 4 circled up by the ear were my first 4 shots with it. I was aiming at the ear. I need more practice with it, but it has a very nice trigger let-off. All in all, it's a VERY slick pistol.

She also shot my TCP 380, and my PT111 9mm, and did pretty well with both of those. I was impressed.
C target 1.jpg C target.jpg

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Impressive!, Especially the two new earring holes!
blessings

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I was able to purchase some Hornady critical home defense HP 9mm rounds for a very reasonable price. They only had 115 grain rounds left though. I noticed they also make 124 grain and 135 grain rounds and maybe even 147 grain. Will it really make that much difference? I've been told don't go below 115 or above 135. So many opinions. :confused:

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
That's the way it is, you noticed early in your sporting arms life, there are more opinions out there and anecdotal "evidence"
than you can shake a stick at. I n my relationship with the living Christ, He directs me and keeps me safe, always has, and that relationship just gets closer and more solid each day. What about our brothers and sisters? Would/could a spirit filled Christian be called to the aid of a brother or sister in Christ? Perhaps so and if possible one should ready themselves for that eventuality.
I recall a Christian officer involved in an struggle with a convicted killer who was given direction by an angelic presence to "shoot now", and in obedience he did so, ending the perpetrators violence. When those things happen it is too late to get ready, we need to be ready. What do you folks think?
Plus, we get to be around good citizens when we participate in the shooting sports.
blessings

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I was able to purchase some Hornady critical home defense HP 9mm rounds for a very reasonable price. They only had 115 grain rounds left though. I noticed they also make 124 grain and 135 grain rounds and maybe even 147 grain. Will it really make that much difference? I've been told don't go below 115 or above 135. So many opinions. :confused:
You are correct about the plethora of opinions.... here is mine...

It very likely doesn't make much, if any difference to the average citizen.

The 115gr bullet is the lowest bullet weight in "normal" 9mm ammo. The 147gr is the highest weight in "normal" ammo.

There are differing schools of thought as to what makes the best defensive load. There is the "lighter, faster" school that says expansion is the holy grail, so a lighter bullet (for caliber) going as fast as possible will expand more/be better. This was somewhat "proven" by data collected in actual shootings back in the 80's or so, by Marshall and Sanow (IIRC) that found the 125gr hp load in .357 mag (light and fast) was THE best defense load, period. It had a record of one-shot-stops in the upper 90% range... 95? 97? can't remember exactly, but it was far and away the most effective. It even beat the .45 ACP and .44 Magnum.

Others say that penetration is paramount. Heavy/slower bullets. I think that is why the FBI adopted the 147gr HP in 9mm for a while, at least. Better penetration, without being OVER penetrative. Whole books have been written on this topic...

To me, bottom line, I will only be using lethal force as a LAST resort. It will very likely be close, because I have no business shooting at someone who is 25 yards away, unless they are running at me with a machete, or some other crazy, hypothetical situation.
And, for me, nearly ANY bullet weight defensive ammo will work, if it is applied correctly. (in the right spot, etc...) I try to not get too hung up on deciding on, and demanding what is "the best".... I try to buy the best I can afford at the time. If, at the time, all I can find/afford is FMJ, that's ok with me.

Like I stated earlier.... I carry the Federal 124gr HST's.... a friend and I found some at a good price, and split the cost of 3 or 4 hundred of them. I still have about 2 1/2 boxes of them. I shoot enough of them through my 9's to make sure they function flawlessly... then save the rest for "carry". Range shooting is done with 115-124 fmj's, mostly.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
good info, thanks, I purchased a 9mm from an officer who used it as a back up, he chose Speer Gold Dot ammo, this was a while back before the current generation of rounds and Speer Gold Dot was well regarded for expanding well under various situations.