The Gun Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Oooookay. Which town?

Chances are we're distantly related.

At times I feel like I missed out because I never really got to know my extended family (older generation) on my Dad's side because we moved from the east coast to the west when I was 6. My dad spent a lot of time up in Mass when he was a kid and when I was little he still had a couple of uncles and cousins that lived there. Now (after 300 years) there is no one in the family that even owns property in the town they helped found.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Oooookay. Which town?

Chances are we're distantly related.
Moses Stanford (my great, great, etc. grandfather) lived in Zoar Massachusetts, and my grandfather was born in Rowe Mass (about 4 miles from Zoar). When I was 16 we were up there visiting one of my Dad's elderly uncles and we went through some of the old cemeteries. It was kind of cool to realize that generations of my ancestors were all laid to rest in the same ground.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
As far as I know, we're not related after American settlement, then. My folks were the Cottons of Boston (well at first). But maybe you know of something I don't!

There is something special in that. I think people like you and I appreciate this rootedness because we live in such unrooted times.

Moses Stanford (my great, great, etc. grandfather) lived in Zoar Massachusetts, and my grandfather was born in Rowe Mass (about 4 miles from Zoar). When I was 16 we were up there visiting one of my Dad's elderly uncles and we went through some of the old cemeteries. It was kind of cool to realize that generations of my ancestors were all laid to rest in the same ground.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
There is something special in that. I think people like you and I appreciate this rootedness because we live in such unrooted times.

I've always bemoaned the fact that post WWII with advancements in travel Americans have lost their roots (and in the process pride in their family) because families have become scattered across the country.

When I was in Middle School (over 35 years ago) we had to do a family tree as a class project. Most of my classmates could only trace back to their grandparents or maybe great grandparents. I was (at that time) able to trace back 14 generations (to the Mayflower) down one branch.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Part of the reason is that Puritans were so literate. Once you hit on English New England heritage, you can go back really far.

I've traced that direct line all the way back to a couple of decades after Rome fell.

I've always bemoaned the fact that post WWII with advancements in travel Americans have lost their roots (and in the process pride in their family) because families have become scattered across the country.

When I was in Middle School (over 35 years ago) we had to do a family tree as a class project. Most of my classmates could only trace back to their grandparents or maybe great grandparents. I was (at that time) able to trace back 14 generations (to the Mayflower) down one branch.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
The Cottons were Norman nobility before they became Vermont peasantry :p That helps.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
As far as I know, we're not related after American settlement, then. My folks were the Cottons of Boston (well at first). But maybe you know of something I don't!

My Mom would know more about family location pre-Revolution (she's always been the family history junkie). I do know that my Grandmother's family (on my Dad's side) was from Lynn Mass (just a little north of Boston) dating back numerous generations.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
The Cottons were Norman nobility before they became Vermont peasantry :p That helps.
LOL. Most of my ancestry from the other side of the pond is Scotch and English if I'm not mistaken. The entymology of my surname (Stanford) is old English (stony ford).

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Hmmm. There's a shot then. Bay families inter-married so much.

My Mom would know more about family location pre-Revolution (she's always been the family history junkie). I do know that my Grandmother's family (on my Dad's side) was from Lynn Mass (just a little north of Boston) dating back numerous generations.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
My surname is Welsh in origin. I trust you, but not the rest of CC with it :p

But Cotton comes from the French "de Cotin" meaning "of the Cottage."

So chances are our ancestors fought with each other over some pond before they followed their love of the gospel here.

LOL. Most of my ancestry from the other side of the pond is Scotch and English if I'm not mistaken. The entymology of my surname (Stanford) is old English (stony ford).

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Hmmm. There's a shot then. Bay families inter-married so much.
What I found interesting as a teenager in California was that I was distantly related to old money in California. Governor Leland Stanford (for whom Stanford University was named) was a distant relative who had transplanted from New York at the time of the gold rush. Our common ancestor dated back to the 1600's in Charlestown Mass (now a part of Boston).

I'll have to ask Mom if there are any Cotton's mixed in back there somewhere.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
There's a lot here, man.

Yeah, you should ask her. I'd be curious to know.

What I found interesting as a teenager in California was that I was distantly related to old money in California. Governor Leland Stanford (for whom Stanford University was named) was a distant relative who had transplanted from New York at the time of the gold rush. Our common ancestor dated back to the 1600's in Charlestown Mass (now a part of Boston).

I'll have to ask Mom if there are any Cotton's mixed in back there somewhere.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
History and heritage is cool.

Not to change the subject, anybody have experience with the new Wrangler by Ruger?

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
No, but I'm going to ditch my Levis for Wranglers when they wear out. Levi Strauss is poison. Can't fund them anymore much as I like their product.

History and heritage is cool.

Not to change the subject, anybody have experience with the new Wrangler by Ruger?

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Yeah, Levi Strauss went leftist years ago.

I meant the new 22 revolver by Ruger.
best wishes

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Saw this and thought it was cute and informative, hope you enjoy
I give thanks she didn't fill her trunk.