The Gun Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
the cap and ball conicals did not have a hollow base, the Minie ball for rifles did.
The Mineral Spirits soak would not gum up the internals as it would not be allowed to evaporate leaving the gummy residue. Taking them down for cleaning would be the best, in the civil war the wood was removed and the pistols were boiled, then oiled with olive oil from what I have read.
Kind of a miracle any survived......

cdan2

Dec 2, 2021
the cap and ball conicals did not have a hollow base, the Minie ball for rifles did.
The Mineral Spirits soak would not gum up the internals as it would not be allowed to evaporate leaving the gummy residue. Taking them down for cleaning would be the best, in the civil war the wood was removed and the pistols were boiled, then oiled with olive oil from what I have read.
Kind of a miracle any survived......
"the cap and ball conicals did not have a hollow base."
Interesting. It would be fun to shoot a few.

I can believe they didn't take the whole gun down to clean back then, especially in field conditions. It requires tools, and smaller pieces would be too easy to loose. I use 2 old kitchen strainers (large and small) to keep parts together as I wash them. Also ovens were scarce in the field. Olive oil should work as a lubricant. With my method, if I don't immediately drain off the lube while parts are still hot it will make the action sluggish and things don't work like they should. But I don't rely on my gun for my life, so it's an easy (if a little time consuming) fix. Upside is it preserves parts and lubricates well, long as I don't overdo it.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
So very many good lubes out there, I have gone to Mobil 1, 5-20, same as my car, bonds to metal well. The olive oil would gum up over time from what I hear.
A good ultrasonic cleaner would be a blessing too.

cdan2

Dec 2, 2021
So very many good lubes out there, I have gone to Mobil 1, 5-20, same as my car, bonds to metal well. The olive oil would gum up over time from what I hear.
A good ultrasonic cleaner would be a blessing too.
"A good ultrasonic cleaner would be a blessing too." Boy, wouldn't it just! BP is prone to gumming with almost anything, it seems. That's why I break it down and scrub with hot soapy water. Then new lube, baked in then well drained while hot. Even then gumming can occur.

cdan2

Dec 2, 2021
Have to be careful too and keep oven temp LOW so not to effect temper of springs. Not sure at what temp that might happen, but I know I don't want to get anywhere near it!

LOL, I have a "no glow" policy on heating gun parts!

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I wish I knew as well, but I believe it would need to be red or near red, maybe a wise soul might jump in and share their wisdom.
Spraying with a good silicone "water displacing" spray would allow the water to bead up and roll off.

Aug 18, 2021
With all these new members, I decided to revive an old topic. Just to see how many of y'all are also gun enthusiasts.

So here is a thread for general talk about guns, gun accessories, and gun-related hobbies.

Anybody have gun-related New Years resolutions?
Seems to me Americans all need guns, because Americans all have guns. I suggest you would have a kinder, more compassionate society if you got rid of them all, as we have largely done here in the UK.

Best wishes, 2RM.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
That's why you in the U.K. are subjects and never citizens.
"Seems to me" indicates an outward form of godliness denying the power He died to send us.
Fear of inanimate objects is an illness.

Aug 18, 2021
So, I admit I'm a subject. But the queen, over the years, has, I think, done a sterling job. She lends a long term perspective to our politics that many nations lack. But I am also a citizen, empowered to vote for the flavour of government I prefer. So we really have the best of both worlds.

Best wishes, 2RM.

O

Oblio

We don't have the right to bear arms in Canada and we have...whatever rights we are told we have...unless the elite decide otherwise.
We have the right to do what we are told. It appears we do not have the right to disagree.

Aug 18, 2021
We don't have the right to bear arms in Canada and we have...whatever rights we are told we have...unless the elite decide otherwise.
We have the right to do what we are told. It appears we do not have the right to disagree.
Interesting. And there was I thinking Canada was a democracy.

Best wishes, 2RM

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
They too are subjects, sadly.
At one time the U.K. was a missionary supplier, now it is a mission field, they have lost their way.