The Holy Spirit in Acts according to Acts

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
You are separating HIS SPIRIT? By whose SPIRIT are we quickened?

Godś or The Son...
If indeed, you will say they are separate
Separate in "works".... are not we all ONE Body yet, not all are the hand or the eye....etc.

Yeshua/Jesus had to LEAVE so we would receive ANOTHER Comforter - there was a separate "work" to be done.

You really need the Holy Spirit to give you understanding. I know He would if you would go read ALL the scriptures in the Holy Bible that mention the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost, Spirit of Truth, Promise of the Father....

The Holy Spirit is our Teacher, NOT man. Let the Holy Spirit teach you.

1 John 2:27 King James Version (KJV)
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Listen, you and I BOTH are loved by God and He will finish what He started in you and in me.

No worries, we just simply don't agree at this time. The Lord will perfect all that concerns us.

Much love to you, in Christ! :love:(y)

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I was alone when I prayed to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit and immediately I did speak in tongues

I sing in tongues and pray in tongues and I can tell you that I could not make up such beautiful words to God when I translate what I sing

sadly, there is much abuse with the gifts today and tongues are not used the way the Bible ... through Paul's teaching...describes

I pray God does grant your request and fill you with His Spirit and give you the gift you desire

hugs and God bless you
Oh dear, oh dear.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I was alone when I prayed to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit and immediately I did speak in tongues

I sing in tongues and pray in tongues and I can tell you that I could not make up such beautiful words to God when I translate what I sing

sadly, there is much abuse with the gifts today and tongues are not used the way the Bible ... through Paul's teaching...describes

I pray God does grant your request and fill you with His Spirit and give you the gift you desire

hugs and God bless you
Hugs to you, thank you soooo Much. I am hopeful. I am so happy that you have this gift. It has to be so surreal. Perhaps my wanting this blessing partly for the experience is keeping me from it. Maybe I need to examine my motives and also see if I am regarding any of my iniquities as in psalms 66. I don't know, maybe. The thought just crossed my mind.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Hugs to you, thank you soooo Much. I am hopeful. I am so happy that you have this gift. It has to be so surreal. Perhaps my wanting this blessing partly for the experience is keeping me from it. Maybe I need to examine my motives and also see if I am regarding any of my iniquities as in psalms 66. I don't know, maybe. The thought just crossed my mind.
Treasure sound doctrine and do not be enticed by those with itching ears.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

7seasrekeyed

I think you are fine and not a question of motive here :)

but you know, it is not really surreal..somehow it seems normal and I have certainly had many prayers answered in ways that indicate God really intervened because of praying in tongues

I think you are brave to even post about it with regards to all the naysayers here ;)

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016

hugs and God bless you
Without faith in CHRIST´s sacrifice one is not washed....
And according to Haggai 2, through GODś WORD and declaration....all are unclean.
So how can all who GOD has called unclean....be made clean?

First and foremost...

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Treasure sound doctrine and do not be enticed by those with itching ears.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
What do you mean. I suppose I need to go back and read through the thread all the comments to see what you mean.

7seasrekeyed

What do you mean. I suppose I need to go back and read through the thread all the comments to see what you mean.
he has stated that anyone who prays or speaks in tongues today does so by a demonic power...but does not come out and say that anymore but he has said it to me in times past

he is addressing me actually and we have exchanged many posts over the years I have been here

believe the Bible and what it states

I am sorry you are so soon attacked by the naysayers

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
No it's a charismatic Pentecostal doctrinal error. The Holy Spirit indwells the moment a soul receives Christ as Savior. One baptism with many fillings for service. Pentecostalism has greatly erred in this matter. The creation of a second baptism is man made doctrine and not biblical.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
I agree with this... Great post...

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
Yes, believe the Bible and what it states...
But remember, that all Paul´s letters were written to the believing churches in CHRIST...those who had heard the GOSPEL and had come to believe that JESUS is the savior. and had put their faith in HIM as the ONE who came forth from GOD and into the world..also remember, that all these letters were written as issues arose in the believing body, and that Paul did not write to anyone OUTSIDE the body.

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
Paulś letter to the church at Corinth was more due to the fact that the believers in the body were losing sight of what they were doing and were lording it over one another, saying I can do this, I can do that...
Paul had to remind them that these gifts will pass...but the greatest gift is love...and clearly they were flaunting their gifts...wh
Nope.

Not everyone in the Bible received the baptism with the Holy Spirit the moment they believed. They did get sealed with the Holy Spirit, but not baptized. It was later when Paul asked if they had received the baptism of the Holy Spirit since they believed.

It's not man-made. It's biblical. John the Baptist baptized in water, but Yeshua/Jesus baptizes us with the Holy Spirit and Fire.
You were referring to Acts 19. The reason these did not receive the HS was because they did not hear the Gospel, being baptized into Johnś baptism. Furthermore, they had not even heard there was a Holy Spirit. When they heard the Gospel preached, (just like Cornelius'family) they believed and were baptized and received the Holy Spirit

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
My dad was an Assembly of God preacher/evangelist. My bio and Christ sister still speaks in tongues and she is a very reasonable, honest, and humble woman. I believe it is a gift but not given to all.

I now belong to a non denominational church. However, I would love to have this gift. I have asked for it. I believe the gift of tongues are still alive and well, but also believe that the gift isn't for everyone, every saved person. I do know of the verses that say they will be no longer but I do not believe it is yet. I do NOT know. Honestly, I can only imagine such a gift being a beautiful and amazing blessing.

hugs and God bless you
Me, too - the same when I pray in tongues. Sometimes when I hear people speak or sing in tongues, I hear them speaking in tongues in my natural ears, but in my head, my spiritual ears are hearing the person's voice in English (my native language). Really freaked me out at first, but now I understand it is the gift of interpretation of tongues. The gift of tongues I always have, but the gift of interpretation comes and goes.

I know these gifts (listed below in scripture) will not be necessary in Heaven, but they must be necessary now on the Earth or God would not give them.

1 Corinthians 12:7-11 King James Version (KJV)
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

God's Ways are higher than ours, I open my heart and receive every good and perfect gift that comes down from the Father of lights.

Sweet CharliRenee, I agree with you and pray with you for you to receive the gift of tongues and whatever else God desires to give you, in the Name of Yeshua/Jesus, amen. :love:(y)

presidente

May 29, 2013
Paulś letter to the church at Corinth was more due to the fact that the believers in the body were losing sight of what they were doing and were lording it over one another, saying I can do this, I can do that...
Paul had to remind them that these gifts will pass...but the greatest gift is love...and clearly they were flaunting their gifts...wh
This is guesswork-- that they were lording over one another. I don't see a hint of that in the book. Even showing off is an assumption. A reason Paul addresses for their misuse (presumably) of spiritual gifts is immaturity in their thinking. He had to explain that tongues needed to be interpreted to edify the church and the fact that all things needed to be done unto edification in the context of the church. He taught on the importance of love prior to that. There could have been mixed motives since different Corinthian Christians likely had different issues.

You were referring to Acts 19. The reason these did not receive the HS was because they did not hear the Gospel, being baptized into Johnś baptism. Furthermore, they had not even heard there was a Holy Spirit.
They received Paul's message and were baptized before Paul laid hands on them and the Spirit came upon them. It seems likely that Paul did not realize they had only received John's baptism before Paul asked the question about into what they had been baptized.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Me, too - the same when I pray in tongues. Sometimes when I hear people speak or sing in tongues, I hear them speaking in tongues in my natural ears, but in my head, my spiritual ears are hearing the person's voice in English (my native language). Really freaked me out at first, but now I understand it is the gift of interpretation of tongues. The gift of tongues I always have, but the gift of interpretation comes and goes.
Do you get prophecies in the same way?

I've never gotten the interpretation in church. I have known people who experienced getting the interpretation like that, then someone says the same words they got as the interpretation. One of them was a young teenager who was confused by it and described what happened to him. I don't think he realized it was interpretation of tongues at the time. My college roommate used to experience that, and other people. Similar things happen with prophesying. I've gotten words of knowledge, then someone else prophesied what I got before I could share it.

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
I was addressing the OP, not your post. Well take a look at another verse where the Holy Spirit is mentioned but nothing about tongues:

And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the Word of God with boldness. (Acts 4:31).
would you be so kind as to mention in whose name signs and wonders would be done? Acts 4:
The gospel is after no man to include the apostles. New meaning has been added to that word.(apostle).. destroying the use in many places.

The apostles as us today can plant the born again seed of faith as it is written and water it with the water of the word as the doctrine of God that fall like rain .

But Christ must perform the unseen work of baptism . Bringing those doctrine that do fall like rain inspired from above teaching us not to add to it as it is written or take away from it .
I agree...CHRIST alone is the one who baptizes...

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
This is guesswork-- that they were lording over one another. I don't see a hint of that in the book. Even showing off is an assumption. A reason Paul addresses for their misuse (presumably) of spiritual gifts is immaturity in their thinking. He had to explain that tongues needed to be interpreted to edify the church and the fact that all things needed to be done unto edification in the context of the church. He taught on the importance of love prior to that. There could have been mixed motives since different Corinthian Christians likely had different issues.

They received Paul's message and were baptized before Paul laid hands on them and the Spirit came upon them. It seems likely that Paul did not realize they had only received John's baptism before Paul asked the question about into what they had been baptized.
I corinthians 3 talks about their lording it over one another...as if Paul, or Peter, or Apollos mattered...they were crediting their abilities to the men whom they were considering their leaders and teachers:...

I follow Paul, I follow Peter, I follow Apollos...

Paul had to remind them that these men are just men...they cant baptize anyone into themselves...that it is CHRIST alone, and HIS BODY and HIS PURPOSE that gifts of HIS BODY are given.

Feb 28, 2016
PRO. 17:14.
The beginning of strife is as when one lets out water: therefore leave off contention, before it be meddled with.!!!

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
Do you get prophecies in the same way?

I've never gotten the interpretation in church. I have known people who experienced getting the interpretation like that, then someone says the same words they got as the interpretation. One of them was a young teenager who was confused by it and described what happened to him. I don't think he realized it was interpretation of tongues at the time. My college roommate used to experience that, and other people. Similar things happen with prophesying. I've gotten words of knowledge, then someone else prophesied what I got before I could share it.

Please read all of corinthians again...they were not showing love in the Body. They were prophecying over one another at gatherings, no one was following orderly worship and Paul´s concern was for unbelievers who would look at their behavior and NOT understand what was going on...
No, you are wrong. Only your first sentence is correct.

Go to the Holy Bible (not commentaries), read all the scriptures that mention the Holy Spirit and Holy Ghost.

The King James Version of scripture mentions both Holy Spirit and Holy Ghost. Go read and study the scriptures.
One and the same...Holy Spirit is Holy Ghost...