The Idol of Self

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Matthew 7:7 (NIV)

7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

In our darkest hours, our rock bottom moments in life we pray out to God hoping for a miracle, a change in situation, a answer to the problems. If our eyes are too focused on the pit we may miss what God provides. If we are not focused on God we may continue to waste what God gives us, what he provided, or the answer may go unnoticed. Just as the man in the pit is only focused on the pit, he wastes what was provided and he remains trapped in the fear, depression, grief, sorrow, hopelessness, anxiety and rock bottom moment unable to push forward.

The picture can also represent what happens when rely too much on self and not enough on God. God tries to show us the way but we think we know better.

Pawel_Kuczynski_Drawings_46.jpg

Feb 28, 2016
we think that you think you know 'better' -
pray, tell us, many of us desire to learn...

shineyourlight

May 25, 2015

7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

In our darkest hours, our rock bottom moments in life we pray out to God hoping for a miracle, a change in situation, a answer to the problems. If our eyes are too focused on the pit we may miss what God provides. If we are not focused on God we may continue to waste what God gives us, what he provided, or the answer may go unnoticed. Just as the man in the pit is only focused on the pit, he wastes what was provided and he remains trapped in the fear, depression, grief, sorrow, hopelessness, anxiety and rock bottom moment unable to push forward.

The picture can also represent what happens when rely too much on self and not enough on God. God tries to show us the way but we think we know better.

View attachment 203664
Thanks for the reminder! :)

I had a two-week vacation. I'm from NY, but I traveled to NC for a week and then CA for a week and just got back. When I was in CA, I spent some much needed time with Jesus when my niece was taking a nap. He really brought this reality to me: You rely too much on yourself and not Me.

TALK ABOUT CONVICTION.

Holy guacamole. It was an eye-opener, to say the least. Thankfully, I repented and am trying to turn my eyes to Him when I find my eyes turning to myself.

Thank you for this!

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Thanks for the reminder! :)

I had a two-week vacation. I'm from NY, but I traveled to NC for a week and then CA for a week and just got back. When I was in CA, I spent some much needed time with Jesus when my niece was taking a nap. He really brought this reality to me: You rely too much on yourself and not Me.

TALK ABOUT CONVICTION.

Holy guacamole. It was an eye-opener, to say the least. Thankfully, I repented and am trying to turn my eyes to Him when I find my eyes turning to myself.

Thank you for this!
I'm curious as for me I'm from south Georgia where it is usually rare to find nonreligious people but how is it in New York? What does the mission field look like in your area?

But yes I agree this piece of artwork spoke to me what I had written and I felt it as anyone who has spent time on Earth has probably felt and experienced. After all the self is who we struggle to crucify daily as we try to keep our focus on Jesus. Not easy as it comes too naturally. We was born selfish due to reasons to survive but with age; humility and sacrificial love is hard learn and to reprogram our carnal nature. Thankfully we have the Holy Spirit to help us if only we will hear and respond.

shineyourlight

May 25, 2015
I'm curious as for me I'm from south Georgia where it is usually rare to find nonreligious people but how is it in New York? What does the mission field look like in your area?

But yes I agree this piece of artwork spoke to me what I had written and I felt it as anyone who has spent time on Earth has probably felt and experienced. After all the self is who we struggle to crucify daily as we try to keep our focus on Jesus. Not easy as it comes too naturally. We was born selfish due to reasons to survive but with age; humility and sacrificial love is hard learn and to reprogram our carnal nature. Thankfully we have the Holy Spirit to help us if only we will hear and respond.
I live upstate, not in the actual city. But, I find a lot of mix. Muslims, Christians, atheists, etc. The mission field, I"m not entirely sure. I know I worked at a mission organization a few years ago, and a lot of missionaries hung around the BIble college I attended. :)

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I live upstate, not in the actual city. But, I find a lot of mix. Muslims, Christians, atheists, etc. The mission field, I"m not entirely sure. I know I worked at a mission organization a few years ago, and a lot of missionaries hung around the BIble college I attended. :)
Oh okay I was just curious because my Pastor was from New York and he was telling me how secular his area was. How his family didn't grow up religious, etc.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
The pic reminds me of this song which I have been listening to again as a result of a recent lifebit :)

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016

View attachment 203664
Who is the artist of the painting? I like to see work credited. It is strong.