The ignore function

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Prov910

Jan 10, 2017
People get put on ignore by others for what they say. But it's not only the "trolls" who say offensive, sinful things on CC.

There's something about anonymous posting on the Internet that causes people to say things they wouldn't say in a face-to-face conversation. This is especially true of the ministers, ex-ministers and clergymen on this site. I mean, when is the last time you heard your pastor call someone a heretic? Or heard them respond to a parishioner's earnest questions with, "That's blasphemy!" These are things you see nearly every day on CC. Because it's anonymous. On the Internet.

H

heartofdavid

It will always be a sieve, not a wall, but ya gotta do sumptin' right? :)
Ignore function is awesome.

Glad it is available.

There are 2 basic types of people
Nurtures and poisonous

You can still love them and ignore their nastyness

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
People get put on ignore by others for what they say. But it's not only the "trolls" who say offensive, sinful things on CC.

There's something about anonymous posting on the Internet that causes people to say things they wouldn't say in a face-to-face conversation. This is especially true of the ministers, ex-ministers and clergymen on this site. I mean, when is the last time you heard your pastor call someone a heretic? Or heard them respond to a parishioner's earnest questions with, "That's blasphemy!" These are things you see nearly every day on CC. Because it's anonymous. On the Internet.
The very Anonymity the internet affords these people allows them to show their true inner nasty selves.. But when it is face to face they are all peaches and cream because they put forward their well cultured and practiced fake image..

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
The very Anonymity the internet affords these people allows them to show their true inner nasty selves.. But when it is face to face they are all peaches and cream because they put forward their well cultured and practiced fake image..
I'm the same way in real life.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I have never put anyone on 'ignore' and don't intend to do so. However, occasionally I will put a member on 'Eeyore' but that's not the same as 'ignore'.

U

Ugly

Again. If someone wants to read your post all they have to do is not log in and read the forums. So what is the point of making it so people can't read your posts if they still can read them? Pointless feature.
And this "I should have the right to block them" thinking? Well, if you're that interested in controlling who can and can't hear what you say A) you have control issues, get some help and B) you probably shouldn't be posting on the internet.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
I'm tired of the arguing. I'm tired of the unprovoked personal attacks. If I know certain people are going to respond to my posts with personal attacks and argument just for the sake of argument, I should have the option to keep the peace by not letting them see it. But, I realize that I am in the minority, that argument and personal attack are necessary staples of interaction for many here. So, you keep on bickering amongst yourselves as you evidently love to do, I'm going to find more peaceful pastures.

7seasrekeyed

I'm tired of the arguing. I'm tired of the unprovoked personal attacks. If I know certain people are going to respond to my posts with personal attacks and argument just for the sake of argument, I should have the option to keep the peace by not letting them see it. But, I realize that I am in the minority, that argument and personal attack are necessary staples of interaction for many here. So, you keep on bickering amongst yourselves as you evidently love to do, I'm going to find more peaceful pastures.
that's what happens. and the bullies continue.

about half a dozen people on here are bullies...and I don't know how they get away with it as I'm pretty sure the TOS do not allow for it..the funny thing is, at least 2 of them always appear in threads that condemn the name calling and bickering and yet the 2 of them are experts at that very thing. maybe they think they are hiding in plain sight?

it speaks more to their immaturity and weakness than anything else IMO, but makes you wonder if they come here to blow off steam since they can hardly do it at church. :rolleyes:

I hope you don't go...you are reasonable and polite. most Christian forums will have the bickering but not the name calling

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Ricky, the thing is, and the mod has confirmed, that none of us has the right to say that another cannot read or respond to our posts. That leaves the onus squarely on you. If you do not want to see what a particular person says, then it is up to you to put them on ignore, not peek at their posts, and pay attention when you are aware that person is posting in threads you are in, so that you do not inadvertently read the other person's messages if and when they have been quoted by others.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
When did argument become a bad thing?

Dec 28, 2016

There's been "arguing" within the church since its inception. Everyone wants to be "like the early church" as if it were pure and without controversy, without arguing, without exposing the false in a polemic fashion, and/or without heresy. Much of the epistles are arguments against false teachings, with naming names, and calling names.

Thank God for men like that then who stood up, and for men who do it today as well.

I think if we spend some time actually reading Scriptural accounts, instead of offering up sentimental, disingenuous "arguments" that paint a false narrative contrary to the reality we'd be better off. No offense intended but let's man up, end the nonsense and false narratives, and mostly the whimpering and pointing fingers at others as if we are pure, and since they "argue" they are "bad."

Certainly all false teachers and doctrinally unsound persons believe they are "attacked" "unprovoked."

R

Ralph-

There's been "arguing" within the church since its inception. Everyone wants to be "like the early church" as if it were pure and without controversy, without arguing
I want the church to be like the early church because it was good for believers despite all the wranglings and problems they had like we do now. Now we just have all the wranglings.

Apr 15, 2017
Everyone wants to be like the early Church,and they would have problems,but at least it was not to the degree of problems that it is today,so people might not be saying the early Church is perfect,but they were a whole lot better than the condition of many today.

Many would also like to go back years ago when America was more moral,and decent,than the condition of many today.

Many marriages that fell apart would like to go back to when they got along great.

Many people would like to go back when it was a better time.

So people would like to go back to the early Church because the condition was not so bad as it is today,not oh that early Church was not so special.

But the thing is who does anything about being like the early Church,for if it is the early Church they would of surely cared about each other more,loved each other more,helped the poor out more,would of not had as many disagreements over the Bible,and not as much hypocrisy.

Which Jesus only had one thing against them in the first Church,they left their first love,and to repent,but then it gets worse from there until the sixth Church where Jesus did not point out a fault.

And then the seventh Church where they are lukewarm,neither hot or cold,and say they are rich,and increased with goods,and have need of nothing,but are in bad shape,which we see going on today,which God tells us of the last generation before God puts down the world,that they will be pure in their own eyes,but not washed away from their filthiness.

Where the early Church had all things common,and shared,and sold all their things that were not a necessity,and distributed to those that had need,but how much of that goes on today.

So many would like to go back to the early Church ways,where they loved each other more,cared for each other more,they only went by their needs,and not their wants,and the poor were getting fed,and clothed,to a great degree.

But how many do anything to be like the early Church,especially in the department of they shared everything,and sold all their things that were not a necessity,and distributed to the poor saints,and only went by their needs.

Sep 14, 2017
A lot of the time (I believe) one person puts another on ignore because they just have bad chemistry, and that fosters animosity and arguing here in these pages. Since this is a 2-way street, if I know someone is just going to off on my posts for no other reason than I wrote it, I should be able in the interests of peace say I don't want that person reading my stuff. It keeps them from having that anger response, which really needs to be tamed down here. Like 7 seas exampled and Magenta said, why subject yourself (and others) to such a spirit?

And is it really fair to allow them to continue responding to something I've indicated that I don't want to discuss with them?

Yes seed time it is hard not to peek, isn't it? lol. So maybe the ignore should have an option to just remove all their posts from your feed. Instead of saying 'oh there's something here but you're gonna have to break your will to ignore to see it'. Lead us not into temptation, right ;)?

If you ignore someone, they don't know; If I chose to block you from seeing my posts, of course you would know (response to BillG). And yes preacher I can see yours, but I can't see Tommys. Oops now Tommy knows.

And wife is the very definition of 'one you can't ignore'

I guess I could always just ask someone to put me on ignore, but I doubt Depleted or Roger would honor that request.

Anyway, it was just a thought. If you know someone will instinctively respond aggressively to your thoughts, you should be able to keep them from hearing them. It would help keep the aggression down in these pages and keep such spirits at bay.
They won't let such an idea happen even if the software allowed it.

The reason? We would be able to "wall out" certain hateful members we obviously can't stand, & leave them ranting in silence.

They don't want that to happen, because then we could cut off half the poison coming through the site all by ourselves, without Admin interaction.

Nice thought, though.:D

Sep 14, 2017

Did you ever stop & think some of those people aren't preachers at all, hiding behind a curtain, like the all-powerful wizard of Oz?

Or, are you taking a potshot at all the real preachers on here?

I really can't tell. But I'm hoping for the best.

Sep 14, 2017
that's what happens. and the bullies continue.

about half a dozen people on here are bullies...and I don't know how they get away with it as I'm pretty sure the TOS do not allow for it..the funny thing is, at least 2 of them always appear in threads that condemn the name calling and bickering and yet the 2 of them are experts at that very thing. maybe they think they are hiding in plain sight?

it speaks more to their immaturity and weakness than anything else IMO, but makes you wonder if they come here to blow off steam since they can hardly do it at church. :rolleyes:

I hope you don't go...you are reasonable and polite. most Christian forums will have the bickering but not the name calling
First of all, let me call you out on some mistakes in your post.

Only a half-dozen bullies? Go into the "Not By Works" thread, & do a recount. I think you'll find you left out a zero somewhere, LOL!

Then there's the 2... I think it might be 7-8.:p

Seriously, though, there's wolfpacks in here with over half a dozen members EACH. I can think of two of them right now.

Last edited:

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Debates are fine, they hone the sword. But far too many here prefer to swing their sword than to sharpen it.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Debates are fine, they hone the sword. But far too many here prefer to swing their sword than to sharpen it.
I just don't see what y'all are writing about.