The Mark of the Beast

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 17, 2023
so sad but that's right

You can only share what the Bible says only so much to people who refuse to listen and take to heart what the Bible actually warns. Even Jesus said in the Bible:

Matthew 7:6Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces."

That's why I don't bother warning dogs and pigs after I've warned them only so much. :)

🍔

awelight

Aug 10, 2020
Yeah, about that, believing in pre-trib won't change God's mind. He wrote in the Bible that His Son will pick us up AFTER the great tribulation and said that we should endure to the end - that means to build up our faith in Him so that we can withstand everything that will come against us.

If you build up your faith to endure to the end, you can continue to hope for the fantasy of pre-trib, but also be ready for the great tribulation that is sure to come.

🍵
I am sorry you don't see this teaching in the Bible. However, I am not going to debate that on this thread. I will leave that subject with a final statement from our Lord that you might consider pondering:

Rev_3:10 Because thou didst keep the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the time (Greek - Hour, day, time, season) of trial (Greek - Trial, testing or adversity) that which is to come upon the whole world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

awelight

Aug 10, 2020
Bear in mind that these are two completely distinct Greek words (translated 'mark' in English):

Rev13:16 has the word "G5480 - charagma " - https://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/rev/13/16/t_concif_1180016

( G5480 - https://www.blueletterbible.org/lexicon/g5480/kjv/tr/0-1/ );

... whereas Rom16:17 (and Phil3:17) has the word "G4648 - skopein " - https://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/rom/16/17/ss1/t_concif_1062017

( G4648 - https://www.blueletterbible.org/lexicon/g4648/kjv/tr/0-1/ )

... and yes, the latter of these two (I've listed here) does carry the meaning that you spoke of, there.

Check out how the other word is used though (from the second link, at top):

"[G5480] χάραγμα cháragma, khar'-ag-mah; from the same as G5482; a scratch or etching, i.e. stamp (as a badge of servitude), or scupltured figure (statue):—graven, mark."
I appreciate your reply. Actually made me sit back and think about the whole thing over again.

It is difficult to think that the "mark" (charagma), could be in the figurative sense because there are no good examples of this Greek word being used in this fashion. So yes, the "mark" could be some kind of physical indicator. Perhaps an ID card. After all the Soviets were all card carrying communists.

However, I think the base of this idea - the mark - should be seen as figurative. Just as the "seal" of believers is figurative. I am driven to this thought also by what is said in verse 20 of Revelation 19 "And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought the signs in his sight, wherewith he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast and them that worshipped his image: they two were cast alive into the lake of fire that burns with brimstone:" and verse 4 of Revelation 20 "And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that had been beheaded for the testimony of Jesus, and for the word of God, and such as worshipped not the beast, neither his image, and received not the mark upon their forehead and upon their hand; and they lived, and reigned with Christ a thousand years."

We know that one being "deceived" and "worshipping", (The reverse of verse 4), is a state of mind and heart. No mark or ID could cause one to be deceived or to worship something that they do not believe in. Therefore, the real issue here, is being deceived, in such away, as to believe in that which is false. One who is sealed for Christ cannot throw away their position in Christ because of a physical mark that would allow trade or purchases.

Thankfully, a true believer does not have to worry about these things because Scripture says it can not happen.

Mat 24:21 for then shall be great tribulation, such as hath not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, nor ever shall be.
Mat 24:22 And except those days had been shortened, no flesh would have been saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

Mat_24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect. The construction of the sentence, is understood, as NOT possible.

Aug 2, 2024
The tribulation period is known as the time of Jacob’s trouble ( Jacob being Israel). The purpose of the tribulation is to bring Israel to its knees before Jesus and make them realise their Messiah had already been.

When Jesus returns to save them we (the church) are with Him and we will have been with Him through the whole trib period, having a great time at the wedding.

I would urge anyone who’s in doubt about a pre trib rapture to grab your Bible and watch a documentary called ‘Before The Wrath’. Absolutely mind blowing stuff about Jesus and His bride and the similarities with a true Galilean wedding. It really is quite staggering.

Aug 3, 2018
I am sorry you don't see this teaching in the Bible. However, I am not going to debate that on this thread. I will leave that subject with a final statement from our Lord that you might consider pondering:

Rev_3:10 Because thou didst keep the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the time (Greek - Hour, day, time, season) of trial (Greek - Trial, testing or adversity) that which is to come upon the whole world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
I agree with you, here. Right on! (y)

Feb 17, 2023

God gave that promise to the church at Philadelphia. Did you ever check to see if God removed them physically when persecution came? I did. God NEVER physically moved them out of there. As a matter of fact, ELEVEN of them ended up being martyred along with Polycarp.

So to keep them from the time of trial wasn't to remove them physically, but to keep them strong with their faith intact through the persecution.

🍨

Aug 23, 2024