If we know what a word means, do we then have all the meanings of that word?
Let's look at the word "word" in some different ways.
The only Spanish word for it that I know of is "palabra," which I understand can also mean a promise or one's turn to speak.
In Greek, I know of the popularly recognized "logos" (LAH-gahs) as well as the more accurate term for the traditional word, "rhema" (RAY-muh).
English incorporates all of those meanings simultaneously, and then some:
Word can be used to mean
expression;
dialogue;
language;
idiom;
idea;
wisdom;
truth;
message;
even our glorious God Himself.
*Note:
I'm sure I missed many, so I welcome additional suggestions for broadly recognized applications of the expression "word."
Back on topic:
So does "logos" mean word? I would say about as much as transportation means Toyota.
Transportation means travel means distance means roads means cars means...
There is only one way to connect all the meanings and only one Spirit by which we may appropriately do so.
Our Lord Jesus Christ lived to perfection so that we might seek within Him how we might please the Almighty in search of His love.
The only way to find the meaning is to seek it with everything one has.
The rich man couldn't let go of his stuff.
How tragic to cherish what moth eats and rust destroys over the limitless treasures of a deeper life!
I refused to believe what men taught; that "divine mystery" was ever an acceptable answer.
The truth is as God says! There is no "but..." to follow any of His promises.
I believe what He says and He has shown me that all of His promises are true.
It's not after you die, my friends.
You can know Him now.
Keep seeking.
- A servant
Let's look at the word "word" in some different ways.
The only Spanish word for it that I know of is "palabra," which I understand can also mean a promise or one's turn to speak.
In Greek, I know of the popularly recognized "logos" (LAH-gahs) as well as the more accurate term for the traditional word, "rhema" (RAY-muh).
English incorporates all of those meanings simultaneously, and then some:
Word can be used to mean
expression;
dialogue;
language;
idiom;
idea;
wisdom;
truth;
message;
even our glorious God Himself.
*Note:
I'm sure I missed many, so I welcome additional suggestions for broadly recognized applications of the expression "word."
Back on topic:
So does "logos" mean word? I would say about as much as transportation means Toyota.
Transportation means travel means distance means roads means cars means...
There is only one way to connect all the meanings and only one Spirit by which we may appropriately do so.
Our Lord Jesus Christ lived to perfection so that we might seek within Him how we might please the Almighty in search of His love.
The only way to find the meaning is to seek it with everything one has.
The rich man couldn't let go of his stuff.
How tragic to cherish what moth eats and rust destroys over the limitless treasures of a deeper life!
I refused to believe what men taught; that "divine mystery" was ever an acceptable answer.
The truth is as God says! There is no "but..." to follow any of His promises.
I believe what He says and He has shown me that all of His promises are true.
It's not after you die, my friends.
You can know Him now.
Keep seeking.
- A servant