The only Evidence of Salvation - by Brother Gregg Jackson

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
The devils do not believe the Gospel. They believe that there is ONE GOD. This is Monotheism. This is what James is speaking about. James is not speaking about believing the Gospel, but rather about believing there is One God and believing that there is a Judgment coming. That is what the context of James 2 is showing.

All a person has to do to be saved is BELIEVE THE GOSPEL. Once a sinner is under conviction, all they need to do is believe on Jesus Christ, trusting alone in His finished work which He did for them at Calvary. And that's all. Once a person has believed the truth of the Gospel, that person is instantly saved and born again.

And yes, God does only save sinners. And the reason that a person must come under conviction, is because Conviction is where the person sees himself as he what he really is, which is a lost sinner before a holy God. Once that sinner is convicted, now all he needs to do is repent of his unbelief and believe the Gospel, and he will be saved.

Also the tests in 1 John are not tests to see who is saved and who is lost. But rather, the tests given in 1 John are to determine which born again Christians are walking in the Spirit (Light) and which born again Christians are walking in the flesh (Darkness).
You contradict yourself. "All a person has to do is believe the gospel". No. It is estimated that 2.2 million people made "decisions" at Billy Graham crusades. Dr Graham himself said that he would be delighted if 4% of them stuck. I was one of those who went out the front in 1967, Sydney Australia. I was not saved. I filled in the card, studied the discipleship material and corresponded with my counselor for a time. Six years later, I heard the gospel again and this time it was more than just believing a set of facts.

John 1:12 says that it is necessary to receive Christ in order to be born again. Now no one is going to receive if they do not believe. However, I know a few people who agree with the facts of the gospel but who have yet to receive Christ. My own daughter is one. I wish it were different, obviously. Ask her and yes, she believes. But there is no reality of salvation. She has yet to receive.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
You contradict yourself. "All a person has to do is believe the gospel". No. It is estimated that 2.2 million people made "decisions" at Billy Graham crusades. Dr Graham himself said that he would be delighted if 4% of them stuck. I was one of those who went out the front in 1967, Sydney Australia. I was not saved. I filled in the card, studied the discipleship material and corresponded with my counselor for a time. Six years later, I heard the gospel again and this time it was more than just believing a set of facts.

John 1:12 says that it is necessary to receive Christ in order to be born again. Now no one is going to receive if they do not believe. However, I know a few people who agree with the facts of the gospel but who have yet to receive Christ. My own daughter is one. I wish it were different, obviously. Ask her and yes, she believes. But there is no reality of salvation. She has yet to receive.
Mental assent to the tenets of the gospel is at least a step in the right direction.

But I agree with you that genuine faith in Christ means surrender to the Lordship of Jesus Christ.

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
The fruit of the Spirit is evidence that you are walking in the Spirit.

But the only evidence of our Salvation is the word of God.
Can unsaved, walk after the Spirit? Can unsaved have the fruit of the Spirit? I don't think it so. Now can you provide evidence they have the Spirit of God? Thanks

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Mental assent to the tenets of the gospel is at least a step in the right direction.

But I agree with you that genuine faith in Christ means surrender to the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
Thank you. I know the difference because that was me. It sure helped that I knew the basics of Jesus being God's son, dying on the cross and rising again. But it meant about as much to me as knowing that Alexander the Great was a brilliant general.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

Biblical, saving faith is clearly defined in Hebrews 11:1. Surrender to the Lordship of Jesus is not part of the definition.

A whole biblically sound theology of the Christian faith (“religion”) incorporates the concept of Lordship. Clarity of terminology is important when addressing the specifics of meaning and implication.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Can unsaved, walk after the Spirit? Can unsaved have the fruit of the Spirit? I don't think it so. Now can you provide evidence they have the Spirit of God? Thanks
Actually, the unsaved commonly demonstrate behaviour and belief consistent with the fruit of the Spirit. That’s why the fruit, by itself, is not an adequate indicator of salvation.

Confession and fruit must go together.

ChosenbyHim

Sep 19, 2011
Gideon, if you BELIEVED The Gospel of Jesus Christ at the Crusade back in 1967, then you were saved that very moment, whether you believe that or not, sir. If those listeners at the Billy Graham crusade decades ago, were told to ask Jesus into their hearts, or to surrender their lives to Christ, or to repent of their sins (Works) AND receive Christ (Faith), then it is obvious those people did not get saved, because they were not told to BELIEVE the Gospel. Asking Jesus to come into your heart, praying a sinner's prayer, inviting Christ into your heart, trying to repent or turn from your sins, are works, and they cannot save a sinner. The only thing that can save a sinner is Faith in Christ. And a Sinner can only receive Christ by placing their faith in Him and His finished work alone for their Salvation. Salvation is by Grace through Faith in Christ Alone.

The only way that a person receives Christ, is by Believing on Him. And that's it Gideon. I believe your Daughter is saved, that is, IF she has believed on Jesus Christ, trusting alone in His Death, Burial and Resurrection as the only sufficient payment for her sins.

ChosenbyHim

Sep 19, 2011
No lost sinner can walk in the Spirit, since they do not have the Holy Spirit.

No Lost sinner has the Spirit of God.

ChosenbyHim

Sep 19, 2011
Exactly, I was recently saved and started attending grace baptist in my area. After attending a few times I found myself at a Bible study, afterwards they asked if I was married. I told them I preferred to remain single in my promiscuous lifestyle (playa 4 life) Long story short they showed me some stupid verses about adultery/fornication being wrong and then had the nerve to tell me I needed to stop, repent and believe the gospel. I assured them of my faith in Jesus, that I believed he died for my sins, was crucified and raised but it seems like they didn’t believe me. Pfft. Can’t believe they didn’t treat me as a brother. Rude.

Not a true story but should do the trick 😉

I would recommend for you to be reverent toward the word of God. All verses in the King James Bible are faithful and true. Now if it even was a true story, and you told me you were living in sin like fornication. If you told me that there was a time that you did believe on Christ and trust alone in His blood atonement for the payment of your sins, then I would believe that you are saved. And I would rebuke you for living in sin, and tell you that you need to repent of your sin of fornication and get right with God.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
Biblical, saving faith is clearly defined in Hebrews 11:1. Surrender to the Lordship of Jesus is not part of the definition.

A whole biblically sound theology of the Christian faith (“religion”) incorporates the concept of Lordship. Clarity of terminology is important when addressing the specifics of meaning and implication.
We will have to agree to disagree, as usual.

You can take your chances with your "fire insurance" religion...

I will go with the real thing.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
At the very least, those who work or do iniquity shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

I consider that the opposite of these, are those who have received Jesus as Lord

Mat 7:21, Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22, Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23, And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Mat 13:41, The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
Mat 13:42, And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

2Co 13:5, Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
We will have to agree to disagree, as usual.

You can take your chances with your "fire insurance" religion...

I will go with the real thing.
Your dismissal has no biblical basis so all you can do is throw shade.

NOV25

Nov 23, 2019
I would recommend for you to be reverent toward the word of God. All verses in the King James Bible are faithful and true. Now if it even was a true story, and you told me you were living in sin like fornication. If you told me that there was a time that you did believe on Christ and trust alone in His blood atonement for the payment of your sins, then I would believe that you are saved. And I would rebuke you for living in sin, and tell you that you need to repent of your sin of fornication and get right with God.
If I were to be faced with someone like this I would conclude they are not and never have been of saving faith.
Which raises the question, why the two different conclusions from those who supposedly have the same mind, the mind of Christ?
🚩

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
If I were to be faced with someone like this I would conclude they are not and never have been of saving faith.
If you recall there was a Corinthian man who fell into fornication, was rebuked, and committed to Satan for "the destruction of the flesh" (which could mean a disease of some kind). Later on he repented and Paul asked the Corinthian Christians to receive him back into fellowship as a "brother". Paul also indicated that this was necessary to prevent Satan from taking advantage of this matter. This is not an excuse to commit sin, but an example of a Christian falling into sin and repenting.

2 CORINTHIANS 2: RESTORATION OF A SINNING BROTHER
4 For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you.

5 But if any have caused grief, he hath not grieved me, but in part: that I may not overcharge you all.
6 Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many.
7 So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.
8 Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him.
9 For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things.
10To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ;
11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Gideon, if you BELIEVED The Gospel of Jesus Christ at the Crusade back in 1967, then you were saved that very moment, whether you believe that or not, sir. If those listeners at the Billy Graham crusade decades ago, were told to ask Jesus into their hearts, or to surrender their lives to Christ, or to repent of their sins (Works) AND receive Christ (Faith), then it is obvious those people did not get saved, because they were not told to BELIEVE the Gospel. Asking Jesus to come into your heart, praying a sinner's prayer, inviting Christ into your heart, trying to repent or turn from your sins, are works, and they cannot save a sinner. The only thing that can save a sinner is Faith in Christ. And a Sinner can only receive Christ by placing their faith in Him and His finished work alone for their Salvation. Salvation is by Grace through Faith in Christ Alone.

The only way that a person receives Christ, is by Believing on Him. And that's it Gideon. I believe your Daughter is saved, that is, IF she has believed on Jesus Christ, trusting alone in His Death, Burial and Resurrection as the only sufficient payment for her sins.
Your definition of believing is not the same as mine. And John 1:12 says that we need to receive Christ. No one will receive if they do not believe. But the rich young ruler turned away from Jesus, not because he did not believe, but because the cost was too high.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
This man was publicly a Christian but very likely did not have a saving faith in Jesus Christ.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
You cannot be sure of that. Paul certainly regarded him as a Christian.
Anyone who says to Jesus' Lord, Lord, is a Christian...

On their way to heaven is another story (Matthew 7:21-23).

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
This man was publicly a Christian but very likely did not have a saving faith in Jesus Christ.
And you really think Paul -- an apostle and prophet -- would not have know this, but we had to wait for your revelation? This is what Paul said: To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

If this person was an unbeliever, there is no way that his spirit (and soul since they are joined together) would be saved. "The day of the Lord Jesus" refers to the Rapture, which means that this person would be among those raptured. As Paul indicated elsewhere Christians who failed to examine themselves before partaking of the Lord's Supper could bring judgment upon themselves also. So this man brought judgment upon himself without losing his salvation, and was clearly not an unbeliever.