The Only Way...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magdaleana

Mar 2, 2020
Hello. I would like your thoughts on whether personal faith in Jesus the only way to heaven. Whilst John 14:6 says 'I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me', Romans 1:20 says 'For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.' So what of those who don't put their faith in Christ but believe in God (possibly the wrong god). Ofc, Christ is God, but He differentiates himself from the Father. I hope I have made myself understood.

Chester

May 23, 2016
Hello. I would like your thoughts on whether personal faith in Jesus the only way to heaven. Whilst John 14:6 says 'I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me', Romans 1:20 says 'For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.' So what of those who don't put their faith in Christ but believe in God (possibly the wrong god). Ofc, Christ is God, but He differentiates himself from the Father. I hope I have made myself understood.
John 14:6 clearly says that no one comes to God the Father but through Jesus. That is a clear straightforward fact. The orthodox Jew who believes in God but does not believe in Jesus will not get to heaven because Jesus is the WAY there.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one gets to the Father but through Him.

Now does that mean people have to make a conscious decision with regard to acknowledging His divinity? People who don’t believe Jesus is the Son of God are calling God a liar. Remember, if you profess Jesus to others, Jesus will profess you to God.

E

EleventhHour

Romans is not addressing the plan of salvation....rather that all men are surrounded by evidence of God and they themselves can make a decision to deny that evidence and are therefore without excuse.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Romans 2:12-16 New International Version (NIV)
12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

To all those who have never heard of Jesus Christ will still be held accountable to God's natural revelation (Romans 1:20) and the moral law ( Romans 2:14-15) God judges the heart and knows who responds to Him and who isnt by the activity of the Spirit that draws all people to God with a pursuing love.

Ultimately we are called to make disciples of all nations and help everyone hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ. God is all just, so everyone will be judged in a just manner. Jesus has been known to reach these individuals in places that are hard to reach with dreams or visions.

But yes worshipping false Gods who Biblically was actually demons doesn't save the individual.

UnoiAmarah

Jul 28, 2017
John 14:6 clearly says that no one comes to God the Father but through Jesus. That is a clear straightforward fact.
And in John 6:44 it is written that no man can come to Jesus but by the Father. That is basic fundamental precept.
But then again, the testimony of Paul was, "...for he who comes to God must believe that he is."

And it seems to me that those that do, believe they are.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Hello Magdaleana,

I'm trying to understand your question(s)......I think you are asking several questions.....

"Is Jesus Christ God?"
"Are there other Gods?"
"Is Jesus Christ the ONLY WAY to be saved from going to Hell?"
"Is Jesus Christ the ONLY WAY to go to Heaven?"

Are these your questions, am I understanding you correctly? :unsure:

E

EliBeth

Greetings, Magdaleana! 🙂 I do firmly believe that personal faith in Jesus is the only way to eternal life. Even today I read 1 Corinthians 3:11 talking about Jesus Christ is the only foundation.

"For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 3:11 NASB

He is the Rock upon which our eternal salvation is based. It was His sacrifice and only His sacrifice which made it possible for a human being to be spared from the wrath to come. John 10 is another chapter that, I believe, reinforces the truth that it is only through belief in Jesus that one can be forgiven of sin and be given eternal life.

"So Jesus said to them again, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly." John 10:7-10 NASB

"I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me, even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep." John 10:14-15 NASB

Jesus's own know Him.

... I currently hold the belief that for those people who have not had the opportunity to hear the truth about Jesus but who truly are grasping for and seeking the one true God, Jesus can reveal Himself to them through a vision or dream. I have heard of Muslims especially having dreams where Jesus reveals Himself to them. I do not know that this belief is Biblical, so take it with a grain of salt I suppose.

This is a deep question. But we must not let our limited reasoning and understanding drive us away from God. He is God and we are not. The Bible describes Him as being Love and Light. We can trust Him with what we don't understand. If we perfectly understood everything about Him and His ways then there wouldn't be a need for faith. But Scripture says without faith it is impossible to please Him.

"And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him." Hebrews 11:6 NASB

I hope that this is somewhat helpful. 🙂 Welcome to Christian Chat by the way!!

E

EliBeth

Jesus revealed Himself personally to Saul (aka Paul) in Acts 9.

L

Locoponydirtman

The passage in Romans is about unbelievers not having an excuse because all the natural evidence of God. It goes on to say that they denied what they had and exchanged the worship of God for the worship of idols. So it's a scathing rebuke of isolators.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Yes, faith in the Person and finished work of Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven.

James 2:19 tells us, "You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder." Belief in one God is not enough.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
Firstly, welcome to our community. :)

Mary was told by the angel prior to Holy Spirit God begetting our Savior upon her that she was to name her son, Emmanuel, meaning, God with us.
Jesus was God in first century A.D., because in the Old Testament we're told we cannot look upon the face of God and live. To bring the new covenant, testament, testimony of God, to the world, God sent Himself for that purposed driven life.
There is only one God and that is the God that bestowed His eternal everlasting grace upon the world so as to save us from the sin this world leads us toward.
Christ means, anointed. Jesus was both man, and divine God. He was knitted together in His mother's womb as Holy Spirit incarnate in the flesh of a man. Emmanuel, Jesus, differentiated Himself from His Father in Heaven because Jesus was man during His ministry and empowered with the union He had with Himself , the Father, after He was Baptized. The Holy Spirit then descended like a dove upon Him at that time, and the eternal voice of Creator spoke from the Heavens and said, so that all there gathered would hear, this is my Son in whom I Am well pleased.
Jesus' ministry began then. He healed the blind, cast out demons, made the lame to walk, and raised the dead to life. And this because His divine power was channeled to Him when He was Baptized and indwelt then by the Holy Spirit. In other words, His true self was realized. He became the example of His ministry to those who followed Him. Reborn as a new creation after Baptism, Jesus was. The man people may have known, went down in water. And when He rose up He was reborn as one indwelt and Baptized by and of the Father.

The scripture you recalled in your post is true. All that is, was, or ever shall be, is of and from God the Creator of all things. That is why we are without excuse if we tell ourselves there is no proof of a Creator. There is. Everywhere, in all of creation.

There is no thing that is not of nor from God. Even you. :) When you accept Christ as your Savior, you begin a new chapter of your life. When you are Baptized in the name of Jesus, you are like Him after the crucifixion and resurrection back to life. Your old self goes down in water, as if buried with your sins upon you. And when you arise, that old self is left behind, and the new creation arises as one reborn as a new creation. As you left your mothers womb where you grew in those waters, and then were born into this fallen world, when Baptized, you arise from water again only to be reborn as a new creation in Christ. As He arose from the tomb and was alive as a glorified body.

Remember, when Mary Magdalene first saw Jesus after He arose from the tomb she didn't recognize Him as the teacher she'd known.
So too would you be a new creation, free of the sins that you once bore, as those are now left behind, put under the sacrificial blood of Christ. That life blood that He shed for to take away the sins of the world. And God will remember those sins no more.

Reborn, regenerated, into a whole new self, and a whole new life wherein we are guided by God and His wisdom because Holy Spirit God indwells the redeemed. Now we don't walk this world alone. We have as our guide the creator of all of it. Who better to help us navigate the trials and travails than that One that sees all things and knows where to tread?

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. When we "die" the blood of Jesus is upon us and we are made holy or pure.

Now the why... No person can earn their way to God. Every other faith and even some Christian denominations rely on themselves to "earn" their place in heaven. That will not work as perfection is the only way to enter. A person will approach Jesus and realize how they did not earn anything or boast about how great they are by earning it. Either way they have missed the point and are only understanding God the judge. So that is who they receive.

To enter the gates of heaven you must love God and be dependent on God. A child loves their parents and understand they need parents to survive. Likewise people need to understand they depend on God for everything including entering heaven. Only then are we accepting his love.

A baby reaches out and assumes someone will meet all of their needs. They understand they depend on others. They do not rely on "religion." An adult needs the knowledge to live correctly and to approach God correctly even though a typical child already knows the secret.

Jesus loves us this I know, for the Bible tells us so.

It really is that simple.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
People who have never heard of Jesus still must go through the same only Way that is Jesus Christ. What does this mean:
It means that the door to Heaven is akin to a circle, and if you're a square block, you cannot enter until the excess and rough edges are shaved off into a perfect sphere. Then you are fit to enter.
It means any person must conform to the image of Christ just like a Christian, and even though they haven't heard of Jesus, in a way they know Him, and Jesus lives in them. They fruition with lovingkindness, forgiveness, patience, etc. They separate themselves from the ways of the world. Such ways is how some in the Old Testament pleased God, even so that Elijah's body wasn't even found, he was taken straight to Heaven.
This is the ONLY way that few find. I am aware that this might be an unpopular opinion, but Jesus Christ has lived forever and imo is bigger than Christianity.
But for a person to have opportunities to hear about Jesus and yet oppose Jesus, that's another matter altogether. They are not able to believe because they do the works of the flesh, and want to keep doing them.

Magdaleana

Mar 2, 2020
Romans 2:12-16 New International Version (NIV)
12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

To all those who have never heard of Jesus Christ will still be held accountable to God's natural revelation (Romans 1:20) and the moral law ( Romans 2:14-15) God judges the heart and knows who responds to Him and who isnt by the activity of the Spirit that draws all people to God with a pursuing love.

Ultimately we are called to make disciples of all nations and help everyone hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ. God is all just, so everyone will be judged in a just manner. Jesus has been known to reach these individuals in places that are hard to reach with dreams or visions.

But yes worshipping false Gods who Biblically was actually demons doesn't save the individual.
Thank you for referencing the Romans passage. It's great insight, and I will go and study it further :)

Magdaleana

Mar 2, 2020
Hello Magdaleana,

I'm trying to understand your question(s)......I think you are asking several questions.....

"Is Jesus Christ God?"
"Are there other Gods?"
"Is Jesus Christ the ONLY WAY to be saved from going to Hell?"
"Is Jesus Christ the ONLY WAY to go to Heaven?"

Are these your questions, am I understanding you correctly? :unsure:
Hello Lafftur, thanks for your reply. I posted this question as the other day I came across someone who has been a dedicated Christian far longer than me, and he said that it's possible that some who have goodness in their hearts will go to heaven apart from Jesus. It made me feel arrogant and exclusive, and I wondered if I was wrong, and I wanted some insight from other Christians. So yes, I'm asking if Jesus Christ IS the only way :)

Magdaleana

Mar 2, 2020
Greetings, Magdaleana! 🙂 I do firmly believe that personal faith in Jesus is the only way to eternal life. Even today I read 1 Corinthians 3:11 talking about Jesus Christ is the only foundation.

"For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 3:11 NASB

He is the Rock upon which our eternal salvation is based. It was His sacrifice and only His sacrifice which made it possible for a human being to be spared from the wrath to come. John 10 is another chapter that, I believe, reinforces the truth that it is only through belief in Jesus that one can be forgiven of sin and be given eternal life.

"So Jesus said to them again, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly." John 10:7-10 NASB

"I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me, even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep." John 10:14-15 NASB

Jesus's own know Him.

... I currently hold the belief that for those people who have not had the opportunity to hear the truth about Jesus but who truly are grasping for and seeking the one true God, Jesus can reveal Himself to them through a vision or dream. I have heard of Muslims especially having dreams where Jesus reveals Himself to them. I do not know that this belief is Biblical, so take it with a grain of salt I suppose.

This is a deep question. But we must not let our limited reasoning and understanding drive us away from God. He is God and we are not. The Bible describes Him as being Love and Light. We can trust Him with what we don't understand. If we perfectly understood everything about Him and His ways then there wouldn't be a need for faith. But Scripture says without faith it is impossible to please Him.

"And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him." Hebrews 11:6 NASB

I hope that this is somewhat helpful. 🙂 Welcome to Christian Chat by the way!!
Hello EliBeth. Thank you for your reply and welcome! I have also heard of Muslims having visions of Jesus. Let's hope there are many more of those to come :)

Magdaleana

Mar 2, 2020
Firstly, welcome to our community. :)

Mary was told by the angel prior to Holy Spirit God begetting our Savior upon her that she was to name her son, Emmanuel, meaning, God with us.
Jesus was God in first century A.D., because in the Old Testament we're told we cannot look upon the face of God and live. To bring the new covenant, testament, testimony of God, to the world, God sent Himself for that purposed driven life.
There is only one God and that is the God that bestowed His eternal everlasting grace upon the world so as to save us from the sin this world leads us toward.
Christ means, anointed. Jesus was both man, and divine God. He was knitted together in His mother's womb as Holy Spirit incarnate in the flesh of a man. Emmanuel, Jesus, differentiated Himself from His Father in Heaven because Jesus was man during His ministry and empowered with the union He had with Himself , the Father, after He was Baptized. The Holy Spirit then descended like a dove upon Him at that time, and the eternal voice of Creator spoke from the Heavens and said, so that all there gathered would hear, this is my Son in whom I Am well pleased.
Jesus' ministry began then. He healed the blind, cast out demons, made the lame to walk, and raised the dead to life. And this because His divine power was channeled to Him when He was Baptized and indwelt then by the Holy Spirit. In other words, His true self was realized. He became the example of His ministry to those who followed Him. Reborn as a new creation after Baptism, Jesus was. The man people may have known, went down in water. And when He rose up He was reborn as one indwelt and Baptized by and of the Father.

The scripture you recalled in your post is true. All that is, was, or ever shall be, is of and from God the Creator of all things. That is why we are without excuse if we tell ourselves there is no proof of a Creator. There is. Everywhere, in all of creation.

There is no thing that is not of nor from God. Even you. :) When you accept Christ as your Savior, you begin a new chapter of your life. When you are Baptized in the name of Jesus, you are like Him after the crucifixion and resurrection back to life. Your old self goes down in water, as if buried with your sins upon you. And when you arise, that old self is left behind, and the new creation arises as one reborn as a new creation. As you left your mothers womb where you grew in those waters, and then were born into this fallen world, when Baptized, you arise from water again only to be reborn as a new creation in Christ. As He arose from the tomb and was alive as a glorified body.

Remember, when Mary Magdalene first saw Jesus after He arose from the tomb she didn't recognize Him as the teacher she'd known.
So too would you be a new creation, free of the sins that you once bore, as those are now left behind, put under the sacrificial blood of Christ. That life blood that He shed for to take away the sins of the world. And God will remember those sins no more.

Reborn, regenerated, into a whole new self, and a whole new life wherein we are guided by God and His wisdom because Holy Spirit God indwells the redeemed. Now we don't walk this world alone. We have as our guide the creator of all of it. Who better to help us navigate the trials and travails than that One that sees all things and knows where to tread?
Hello Whispered. what a beautiful reply. Thanks so much :)

Magdaleana

Mar 2, 2020
People who have never heard of Jesus still must go through the same only Way that is Jesus Christ. What does this mean:
It means that the door to Heaven is akin to a circle, and if you're a square block, you cannot enter until the excess and rough edges are shaved off into a perfect sphere. Then you are fit to enter.
It means any person must conform to the image of Christ just like a Christian, and even though they haven't heard of Jesus, in a way they know Him, and Jesus lives in them. They fruition with lovingkindness, forgiveness, patience, etc. They separate themselves from the ways of the world. Such ways is how some in the Old Testament pleased God, even so that Elijah's body wasn't even found, he was taken straight to Heaven.
This is the ONLY way that few find. I am aware that this might be an unpopular opinion, but Jesus Christ has lived forever and imo is bigger than Christianity.
But for a person to have opportunities to hear about Jesus and yet oppose Jesus, that's another matter altogether. They are not able to believe because they do the works of the flesh, and want to keep doing them.
Hello SoulWeaver, I think this is what the person I was talking to the other day was trying to convey to me. Beautifully put! I felt so mean. I would like to do some more study on this. Thanks so much for your reply.

UnoiAmarah

Jul 28, 2017
There is no thing that is not of nor from God. Even you. :)
Well,, I have to disagree in part, there is one thing which is not of God.
He that commits sin is of the devil; 1 John 3:8

Humm, I have to disagree in whole, there are two things which are not of God.

A time to be born, and a time to die; Ecc; 3:2