The question no flat-earther can answer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Well, being down south, experiencing southern summers, I can tell you. Just like in winter, the sun rises from the bottom and curves around to the other side to the west. It doesn't just appear high in the sky in the morning.

It does however have a different position during the seasons hehehe

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Point is, though, that none of those flight plans took into consideration a flat earth.
No special consideration is needed for a flat earth scenario (straight and linear is the 'default'); however, for a ball earth scenario, special consideration is needed - because of surface curvature. If you didn't make any special non-linear adjustments to your flight plans --- what does that tell you...?

S

Susanna

No special consideration is needed for a flat earth scenario (straight and linear is the 'default'); however, for a ball earth scenario, special consideration is needed - because of surface curvature. If you didn't make any special non-linear adjustments to your flight plans --- what does that tell you...?
That’s a logical fallacy.

‘Straight and linear’ is not the ‘default’.

‘Straight and linear’ is a man made idea.

If you take away everything that is man made there will be little left that is ‘straight and linear’.

If you insist on entertaining the notion that ‘straight and linear’ is the ‘default’ there could be argued that there is nothing left to talk about.

How did you come up with the idea that the earth is flat? I’m just curious.

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Expand the quote to see my replies.

That’s a logical fallacy.

No, it is not; however, I am curious about the peculiar type of logic that makes you think so.

‘Straight and linear’ is not the ‘default’.

Of course it is. Everyone I know learned in grade school that the horizontal 'X' axis is straight and linear (by default) and the vertical 'Y' axis is straight and linear (by default). And, later, we all learned that the same was true for the 'Z' axis when we got into 3-dimensional math.

Are you saying that when you learned it, the axis lines were not straight and linear by default?

That would certainly make for some interesting math, but it does not describe the 'default' base-level foundation of the world we live in.

We 'level' and 'plumb' everything we build because "straight and linear" is in fact the 'default'.

‘Straight and linear’ is a man made idea.

I dare say that God came up with the idea.

If you take away everything that is man made there will be little left that is ‘straight and linear’.

I will simply have to disagree with this statement.

If you insist on entertaining the notion that ‘straight and linear’ is the ‘default’ there could be argued that there is nothing left to talk about.

Oh, there is plenty left to talk about - like "flat earth", for example...

I will address the last part in a later post.

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
It is a combination of things, some of which are:

~ a knowledge and understanding of the character and nature of God

~ a knowledge and understanding of the character and nature of Satan

~ a knowledge and understanding of the character and nature of man

One of the character weaknesses of man is that we may be so easily deceived by Satan.

The Bible illustrates this very poignantly in this verse:

Revelation 12:

9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

And, he has...

~ I am able to "suspend" what I have been taught while studying the Bible to determine what it is actually saying - instead of just simply trying to wrap the Bible around all of the deception I have been taught all my life and attempt to make it all agree.

~ I am the kind of person who wants to know the [real, actual, bona fide] truth - "even if it hurts"...

~ I am not afraid of [knowing] the truth.

The more truth you know about the reality you live in, the less you will be afraid of it.

~ I don't have a pride problem dealing with the fact that I am "just another dumb human" who has been deceived by the "conspiracy of hidden knowledge" erected in this world by the followers of Satan.

The sooner you come to realize this truth (about you, not me), the sooner you will be able to learn the truth about a lot of things.

"Loose your pride, learn the truth."

Because of these things and more --- I have seen with my own eyes and reasoned with my own mind - that we have all been taught "a big lie" concerning [virtually] everything we know anything about.

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
"Loose your pride, learn the truth."
From the top of the 'Truth' page on my website:

"Truth is available only to those who have the courage to question whatever they have been taught." - (Author Unknown)

If you want to know the "real truth" about the reality you live in, you need to understand what this statement is telling you.

S

Susanna

Gary,

The earth isn’t straight and linear.

It’s spherical.

It’s not important what you or I believe.

It’s still spherical.

It will be spherical till God says otherwise.

He hasn’t yet.

Peace out.

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Well, being down south, experiencing southern summers, I can tell you. Just like in winter, the sun rises from the bottom and curves around to the other side to the west. It doesn't just appear high in the sky in the morning.

It does however have a different position during the seasons hehehe
What exactly do you mean by "from the bottom", aside from "the side to the east"?

Do you simply mean "from the horizon"?

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
What exactly do you mean by "from the bottom", aside from "the side to the east"?

Do you simply mean "from the horizon"?
see, this is my issue on the flat earth thing. the implication that one is not a real Christian if they do not believe in a flat earth.

so, where does " believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved" include " and believe on a flat earth"???

JustEli

Dec 23, 2018
hashtag whutinthe? Flat earth? hHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
It’s spherical.
Do you realize that you believe something that has never actually been scientifically proven (I'm talking about real science - you know - demonstrable, repeatable, etc.); rather, it has been assumed to be true for hundreds of years?

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
see, this is my issue on the flat earth thing. the implication that one is not a real Christian if they do not believe in a flat earth.
You will never hear/see me imply that...

Why do you think this idea has anything whatsoever to do with what you quoted???

S

Susanna

Do you realize that you believe something that has never actually been scientifically proven (I'm talking about real science - you know - demonstrable, repeatable, etc.); rather, it has been assumed to be true for hundreds of years?
In what way has it not been scientifically proven?

What ‘real’ science are you talking about?

Have you ever been studying physics? Or maths?

In your previous post you were occupied with ‘straight and linear’ by ‘default’. You then ventured into mathematics and physics without taking into consideration the facts by which mathematics and physics are founded on.

‘Straight and linear’ is theoretically all good, but the earth is not ‘straight and linear’.

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
In what way has it not been scientifically proven?

What ‘real’ science are you talking about?

Have you ever been studying physics? Or maths?

In your previous post you were occupied with ‘straight and linear’ by ‘default’. You then ventured into mathematics and physics without taking into consideration the facts by which mathematics and physics are founded on.

‘Straight and linear’ is theoretically all good, but the earth is not ‘straight and linear’.
Most people simply accept what they have been told by the [scientific] "authorities" - and then vehemently defend it without ever actually considering whether or not it is true.

The first statement you made in the quote above tells me that you are one such person.

My intent for saying this is not to insult or deride you; rather, it is to try to get you to see just how "lazy" we humans are when it comes to "doing the research" to determine what the truth of a matter is.

You defend it because you were taught / conditioned / brain-washed to defend it.

Have you ever-in-your-life thought to question it?

For the absolute majority of people, the answer to this question is:

"Of course not."

S

Susanna

Most people simply accept what they have been told by the [scientific] "authorities" - and then vehemently defend it without ever actually considering whether or not it is true.

The first statement you made in the quote above tells me that you are one such person.

My intent for saying this is not to insult or deride you; rather, it is to try to get you to see just how "lazy" we humans are when it comes to "doing the research" to determine what the truth of a matter is.

You defend it because you were taught / conditioned / brain-washed to defend it.

"Of course not."
Gary,

I know the earth is not flat.

There’s no need for us to continue this conversation.

Have a nice evening.

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
You should. And then, set out to actually attempt to prove it to yourself.

(that Ball Earth is true)

You will not be able to do it...

(once you look at the real facts)

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
You then ventured into mathematics and physics without taking into consideration the facts by which mathematics and physics are founded on.
I have studied math and physics more than most folks.

My picture hangs in the 'Hall of Fame' of my high school because I won silver and bronze medals in Physics and Geometry (respectively) at the state level - as well as high honors in Trigonometry and other math subjects at the regional level.

Of course, none of that makes me any kind of "expert" physicist or mathematician. Nor do I make any such claim.

However...

I have studied math and physics more than most folks.

Please believe me when I tell you - I have taken a great deal into consideration.

What you need to understand is that a lot of modern-day "science" is not real science.

A lot of it is actually made up. :eek:

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
1 Timothy 6:

20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:

This is referring to things that are called "science" but that - are not only not real science - but, are also "against" real science.

And, there is a lot of it out there...

Chester

May 23, 2016

"Of course not."
I have questioned the round Earth and studied the flat Earth theory - and for a little while I thought it may be an option - but when I looked closely at the evidence given for the flat Earth model I find it woefully lacking and in some cases downright crude and lacking any substance at all.

What I have found is that most people who believe in the flat Earth believe it because somehow they have come to believe that the round Earth is part of the beginning of Satan's attempts to take over and get man away from the Bible. They see the round Earth idea as the forerunner and the foundation of Evolution and then all that follows Evolution.

So confronting them with the best physical evidence of a round Earth will not change their mind - because they do not believe it because of the objective evidence.

I personally believe that Christians do not need to throw out the real objective evidence around them. I think the real objective evidence in clear: We live on a round Earth. The theory of evolution is not true. (And this matches the Bible)

We do need to begin with the Bible and not science. But most who believe in a flat Earth theory did not begin with the Bible. They came to their view from other sources and now try to use the Bible to defend their view.

That is why I asked the question I did in this thread (see first post)