The right way to handle those who don't agree on spiritual doctrines

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
This is the attitude Christians need to have when dealing with those who differ with them in spiritual doctrines:
"I'll pray for you, and I love you, but I don't agree quite the same."
And if you find they don't agree quite the same as you - and can see that they aren't likely to change their views any time soon - then often, it is best to keep communication on those things at a minimum with them. Since God wants us to be peacemakers and also to help keep the unity of Christians in the whole church of God, here on the earth. It does no good to keep telling their views if they are solidly set in their own views on a thing. It is the same way when working at converting unbelievers to Christ. If they aren't interested or open to hearing the gospel message you have to offer - then just pray for them, and let the Holy Spirit work on them.
Jesus preached to crowds a lot. Paul did too, and preached regardless of what opinions might be of some in his congregations. That's a lot like posting spiritual things on the internet. But Jesus didn't explain spiritual things to others personally, unless He knew they had a genuine interest in hearing what He had to say. He always explained such things personally - aside from the crowds - to his disciples.
I looked for testimonies of people who got converted to Christ. I noticed some were more like Luther - in his approach to salvation. Coming out of the Catholic church - he had to learn that works alone can't save anyone. That gave him much relief, and led to his salvation, since he came to see that being saved came largely as a result of God's grace. He rejected the book of James, I've read, as he thought it was not a genuine book of the Bible.
Other testimonies of conversions I read about - were about people who prayed to get converted to Christ, but didn't at first respond to the need to repent of their sins. They didn't have full assurance of their salvation, until they learned the importance of repentance, from the Bible.
As for myself, I thought I got converted, when I was 12 years old. But I denied the need for full repentance towards God. I didn't come to full repentance unti many years later, after I surrendered my life wholly to God - and came to be in the habit of always praying for God to help me be as obedient as was possible. And always doing my best to be as obedient to God as I possibly could, And always repenting daily of my sins. After that big change of my way of following God in my life - I for the first time, had full assurance of being saved. And have continued to have that assurance ever since.
I used to strongly feel the presence of evil forces in my life, and it felt scary. Now, I feel safe - and feel God's presence with me every moment of every day in my life. So much better this way - so glad for this very important improvement in my life!

Eph 4:1-3
4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
KJV

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
well repentence isnt something you do for others or your parents or someone with spiritual views or a priest (as in a catholicism, you go into a cupboard, tell a priest your sins and he gives you some hail marys to say) its something you do before God Himself.

Often peoples time with God isnt in a church building in view of everyone or even on a christian forum, confessing on how sinful you are. Its usually in those quiet moments alone with Him when nobody else is around.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
This is the attitude Christians need to have when dealing with those who differ with them in spiritual doctrines:
And if you find they don't agree quite the same as you - and can see that they aren't likely to change their views any time soon - then often, it is best to keep communication on those things at a minimum with them. Since God wants us to be peacemakers and also to help keep the unity of Christians in the whole church of God, here on the earth. It does no good to keep telling their views if they are solidly set in their own views on a thing. It is the same way when working at converting unbelievers to Christ. If they aren't interested or open to hearing the gospel message you have to offer - then just pray for them, and let the Holy Spirit work on them.
Jesus preached to crowds a lot. Paul did too, and preached regardless of what opinions might be of some in his congregations. That's a lot like posting spiritual things on the internet. But Jesus didn't explain spiritual things to others personally, unless He knew they had a genuine interest in hearing what He had to say. He always explained such things personally - aside from the crowds - to his disciples.
I looked for testimonies of people who got converted to Christ. I noticed some were more like Luther - in his approach to salvation. Coming out of the Catholic church - he had to learn that works alone can't save anyone. That gave him much relief, and led to his salvation, since he came to see that being saved came largely as a result of God's grace. He rejected the book of James, I've read, as he thought it was not a genuine book of the Bible.
Other testimonies of conversions I read about - were about people who prayed to get converted to Christ, but didn't at first respond to the need to repent of their sins. They didn't have full assurance of their salvation, until they learned the importance of repentance, from the Bible.
As for myself, I thought I got converted, when I was 12 years old. But I denied the need for full repentance towards God. I didn't come to full repentance unti many years later, after I surrendered my life wholly to God - and came to be in the habit of always praying for God to help me be as obedient as was possible. And always doing my best to be as obedient to God as I possibly could, And always repenting daily of my sins. After that big change of my way of following God in my life - I for the first time, had full assurance of being saved. And have continued to have that assurance ever since.
I used to strongly feel the presence of evil forces in my life, and it felt scary. Now, I feel safe - and feel God's presence with me every moment of every day in my life. So much better this way - so glad for this very important improvement in my life!

4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
KJV

How could a sweet lady like you have that attitude in a FORUM where ideas are exchanged, debated and disputed.....to ignore them that do not agree with you? I'm certain the apostles faced that daily, but they were never deterred. To offer to "pray" for them is an back-door insult and indicates some spiritual pride....it says to them 'you are wrong to disagree with me and are not saved like I am'.

Its a forum....not a tea party. But being civil is part of good manners.
My first venture into the forums a couple of years ago.....off and on since for awhile.....when I looked back at my exchanges with others I was appalled at my behavior. It was a good lesson to me to see my own spiritual pride.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
We shall have to disagree to disagree. :LOL:

P

pottersclay

Personally I'd love to live with all the saints peaceably. Nothing is more joyful than to sit and listen to saints responding to God's word.
But I do not tolerate new age philosophy, replacement theology, works salvation, idealism, unified religion.
It has no place in the church, the pews or study......no place.
Calvinism is much debated but I think it's misunderstood so that's boarder line.
I study both sides to understand where people are coming from and to see if there is a error that perhaps can be corrected.
Have you ever realized that all sin entered through the church.....hard to swallow for some.
All sin came through Adam.....Adam and Eve were the first picture of the church. There union is carried through as husband and wife and is the example of the bride groom and the bride of Christ.
We are to contend for the faith, to persevere, be steadfast.
Jesus said and if they do not receive the truth don't wish them God's speed. Wipe the dust off your feet and continue on.

I try to always look for the person who just wants to be right and the person who wants to be right with God.
I don't know it all but I do have my dogma.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Paul addresses this issue in Romans 14. Paul seems to think that those who argue about doubtful issues are weak in the faith. He even addresses the issue of Sabbath keeping as one of these doubtful issues. Paul tells us we are to accept what other Christians think of these issues, to go along with the people who feel they are important, for if we don't we impeded their salvation.

In the book of Isaiah we are told it is fine to discuss ways of the Lord together, but Paul points out that we can make this a stumbling block for others if we quarrel instead of discuss.

Jun 25, 2020

KJV
(y)What you are saying is in line with what the bible says:

Titus 3:10 says “Warn a divisive person once, and then warn them a second time. After that, have nothing to do with them. ” In Luke 9:5, it says “And whosoever will not receive you, when ye go out of the city, shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them.” We also see with Jesus, how He would give one or two rebukes to the Jewish leaders and continue to preach to others who are willing to listen.

There are those who will never believe what you are saying, no matter how much biblical evidence you present to them.

It is our duty to present the truth and the Holy Spirit’s duty to convict the person of righteousness and sin (John 16:8). We cannot do the job of the Holy Spirit and convince the person. If they do not believe us, then we should pray that the Holy Spirit speaks to them. We should especially pray for them because there is an invisible spiritual war that is happening, and we are not wrestling with flesh and blood, but against evil principalities and rulers of darkness (Ephesians 6:12). The devil, the deceiver, does not want people to believe the truth and speaks to their mind and gives them excuses to reject the truth.

There are very few people who will accept something that they hear or read for the first time. Some people accept something after they have heard it for the fourth, fifth or seventh time from different people. Other barriers that cause the rejection of the truth is people’s biases and prejudices and tend to focus on who the messenger is and not what the messenger is saying.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
www.101christiansocialnetwork.com
2 Timothy 2
22 Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love(AI) and peace, along with those who call on the Lord(AJ) out of a pure heart.(AK) 23 Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.(AL) 24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.(AM) 25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth...

1 Corinthians says our knowledge is partial and incomplete, and even the gift of prophecy reveals only part of the whole picture!

Also it tells us that although we all have knowledge.... Knowledge puffs us up, but love builds up others.

Paul tells us all our gifts are worthless including our sharing of knowledges, if causes us to behave in a way that doesn’t reveal the fruit of the Spirit, it doesn’t matter how right we are, we are wrong. We are but a clanging gong.

I find these biblical principles helpful in sharing thoughts and understanding on scripture with others.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
I love tea, and I love you too! T42 please:coffee::).
How could a sweet lady like you have that attitude in a FORUM where ideas are exchanged, debated and disputed.....to ignore them that do not agree with you? I'm certain the apostles faced that daily, but they were never deterred. To offer to "pray" for them is an back-door insult and indicates some spiritual pride....it says to them 'you are wrong to disagree with me and are not saved like I am'.

My first venture into the forums a couple of years ago.....off and on since for awhile.....when I looked back at my exchanges with others I was appalled at my behavior. It was a good lesson to me to see my own spiritual pride.
Thank you for your honesty . If we can all learn to judge ourselves in this way we would do well :)

It may not be a tea party ... but it should be. Coming together to “feed one another and build up one another” rather than consuming one another. It is always the preferred way of fellowship - even online. We all think we have something to offer others I assume, and all we have worth offering is whatever gift we have received from God. And the gifts of God are meant for the building up of one another to the unity of the faith.

If we don’t discern the body of Christ we really may lose sight of the fact how we treat one another is the measure of our love for Christ.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
Thank you for your honesty . If we can all learn to judge ourselves in this way we would do well :)

It may not be a tea party ... but it should be. Coming together to “feed one another and build up one another” rather than consuming one another. It is always the preferred way of fellowship - even online. We all think we have something to offer others I assume, and all we have worth offering is whatever gift we have received from God. And the gifts of God are meant for the building up of one another to the unity of the faith.

If we don’t discern the body of Christ we really may lose sight of the fact how we treat one another is the measure of our love for Christ.
Just to add this wasn’t all aimed at the person I replied to, only the first part. , The rest is just my thoughts after reading the posts so far on the thread. Didn’t have time to edit to make that clear. To add, discipline and truth are vital but not Dished up without Humility and love.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018

Yes, we should always be ready to give an answer to anyone that asks us of the hope within us.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Paul addresses this issue in Romans 14. Paul seems to think that those who argue about doubtful issues are weak in the faith. He even addresses the issue of Sabbath keeping as one of these doubtful issues. Paul tells us we are to accept what other Christians think of these issues, to go along with the people who feel they are important, for if we don't we impeded their salvation.

In the book of Isaiah we are told it is fine to discuss ways of the Lord together, but Paul points out that we can make this a stumbling block for others if we quarrel instead of discuss.
But we are supposed to always be ready to give an answer to anyone that asks of the hope that is within us.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
(y)What you are saying is in line with what the bible says:

Titus 3:10 says “Warn a divisive person once, and then warn them a second time. After that, have nothing to do with them. ” In Luke 9:5, it says “And whosoever will not receive you, when ye go out of the city, shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them.” We also see with Jesus, how He would give one or two rebukes to the Jewish leaders and continue to preach to others who are willing to listen.

There are those who will never believe what you are saying, no matter how much biblical evidence you present to them.

It is our duty to present the truth and the Holy Spirit’s duty to convict the person of righteousness and sin (John 16:8). We cannot do the job of the Holy Spirit and convince the person. If they do not believe us, then we should pray that the Holy Spirit speaks to them. We should especially pray for them because there is an invisible spiritual war that is happening, and we are not wrestling with flesh and blood, but against evil principalities and rulers of darkness (Ephesians 6:12). The devil, the deceiver, does not want people to believe the truth and speaks to their mind and gives them excuses to reject the truth.

There are very few people who will accept something that they hear or read for the first time. Some people accept something after they have heard it for the fourth, fifth or seventh time from different people. Other barriers that cause the rejection of the truth is people’s biases and prejudices and tend to focus on who the messenger is and not what the messenger is saying.
Thanks! You reply explained it very well! I copied down for myself what you said, too! I had forgotten that verse in Luke 9:5 - yes, that's a very good verse on the subject, too!

I think that although some Christians don't read and study their Bibles as much as they should - that many do. Yet they are heavily influenced by their own pre-existing views on things, and by what kind of spiritual teaching they have been most under. So that the Bible verses on some subjects means something quite different to one person as compared to another person.

God bless you!

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014

Yes, it's important to watch for pride in ourselves in our answers to others in forums like this. Pride can make a person blind against learning new truths. It can also make a wrong impression on others, and that doesn't glorify Christ. I am not allowing myself to be under the affect of pride by answers I give to others. It is very hard to know how to avoid offending others in what one says, as one must state what one believes, though not all may like it or may misunderstand oneself. I think I learn with time how to better avoid being unnecessarily confusing to others. I sometimes say I pray for other who disagree with me. If I forgot to say that I know that they might pray for me too - well, I regret it if that makes them feel I am more of a Christian necessarily - than they are. However, I'll admit that some who don't agree with me on the need for repentance towards God - may not be true Christians. Because I know that some who believe the way they do - are not true Christians.