The Round Earth

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

RolloTamasi

Nov 10, 2021

The round Earth poses no problems for a flat Earth believer and vice versa.
On a flat Earth they say everything could fall off the edges.
But on a round Earth everything should fall off the bottom.
Whichever one you believe, the truth is that Jesus holds everything together.
Colossians 1:17; "He is before all things, and in him all things hold together."

Is this a conspiracy?
The world would say yes?
What would you say?

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
On a round earth everything should fall off the bottom? That's false. That sounds like flat earth thinking.
Labeling it as the bottom is a human notion. A ball floating in space would not be seen as having a top or bottom. Gravity holds things on the earth, and it doesn't matter whether it's the "top" or "bottom". If gravity stopped it would not just stop on the bottom.
Unless, again, you thought like a flat earther.

RolloTamasi

Nov 10, 2021
On a round earth everything should fall off the bottom? That's false. That sounds like flat earth thinking.
Labeling it as the bottom is a human notion. A ball floating in space would not be seen as having a top or bottom. Gravity holds things on the earth, and it doesn't matter whether it's the "top" or "bottom". If gravity stopped it would not just stop on the bottom.
You don't make sense.
A round ball doesn't go topsy turvy, if it did, everything would fall off the bottom.
You talk gravity, that goes for flat earthers as well, as the walls hold things in, it doesn't let anything drop off.
The fallacy of round earthers is that they can use gravity but a flat earther can't.
Look that up in your Funk and Wagnall.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Gravity holds things on the earth, and it doesn't matter whether it's the "top" or "bottom".
That's correct. The force of gravity should never be discounted. And God created that force to hold everything in place on the earth. As to the concept of the flat earth, the Bible refutes that by mentioning the sundial of Ahaz (Isa 38:8). The only way the sundial can work is if (1) the earth rotates around the sun and (2) the earth also rotates on its own axis.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
You don't make sense.
A round ball doesn't go topsy turvy, if it did, everything would fall off the bottom.
You talk gravity, that goes for flat earthers as well, as the walls hold things in, it doesn't let anything drop off.
The fallacy of round earthers is that they can use gravity but a flat earther can't.
Look that up in your Funk and Wagnall.
I don't make sense? You completely fabricated things to argue against. Lying about me and then making assumptions about me. Where did I say a ball goes topsy turvy? Show me thar exact lime.
Also where did I say anything about gravity in reference to flat earthers? Show me that exact line.
If you can't show those exact lines where I clearly said those things then you will be revealed as presumptuous and a liar.
But coming from a flat earther it's really no surprise.

RolloTamasi

Nov 10, 2021
My oh my, you are sensitive, aren't you?
Okay, whatever you say.

I don't make sense? You completely fabricated things to argue against. Lying about me and then making assumptions about me. Where did I say a ball goes topsy turvy? Show me thar exact lime.
Also where did I say anything about gravity in reference to flat earthers? Show me that exact line.
If you can't show those exact lines where I clearly said those things then you will be revealed as presumptuous and a liar.
But coming from a flat earther it's really no surprise.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I read the OP as sarcasm (excepting the Jesus part). Did I misunderstand?

RolloTamasi

Nov 10, 2021
That's correct. The force of gravity should never be discounted. And God created that force to hold everything in place on the earth. As to the concept of the flat earth, the Bible refutes that by mentioning the sundial of Ahaz (Isa 38:8). The only way the sundial can work is if (1) the earth rotates around the sun and (2) the earth also rotates on its own axis.
Yes, of course, the force be with you...

Over under sideways down
Backwards forwards square around

Whatever way it's done, It's Jesus who holds the world together, not some force.

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
I read the OP as sarcasm (excepting the Jesus part). Did I misunderstand?
I don't think sarcasm is the intent.

I think the OP is trying to get the point across that - because we, as Christians, know Who has made everything in the manner that He decided to make it - and, are in agreement on this one most important thing - the shape of the earth should never be a point of contention between Christians.

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Thank you for helping to illustrate what I have been "preaching" for a very long time now:

If you are going to consider/examine the Ball Earth model, you must do so from a Ball Earth perspective with Ball Earth terms, physics, etc.

If you are going to consider/examine the Flat Earth model, you must do so from a Flat Earth perspective with Flat Earth terms, physics, etc.

You cannot successfully consider/examine the Ball Earth model from a Flat Earth perspective.

You cannot successfully consider/examine the Flat Earth model from a Ball Earth perspective.

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Isaiah 38:

8 Behold, I will bring again the shadow of the degrees, which is gone down in the sun dial of Ahaz, ten degrees backward. So the sun returned ten degrees, by which degrees it was gone down.

What is the Ball Earth explanation for how God did this?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The best evidence -- using a sundial -- that the earth is a globe is that it must be reversed from the northern to the southern hemisphere.

"A sundial at a particular latitude in one hemisphere must be reversed for use at the opposite latitude in the other hemisphere.[9] A vertical direct south sundial in the Northern Hemisphere becomes a vertical direct north sundial in the Southern Hemisphere. To position a horizontal sundial correctly, one has to find true North or South. The same process can be used to do both.[10] The gnomon, set to the correct latitude, has to point to the true South in the Southern hemisphere as in the Northern Hemisphere it has to point to the true North.[11] The hour numbers also run in opposite directions, so on a horizontal dial they run anticlockwise (US: counterclockwise) rather than clockwise.[12] " --Wikipedia

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

The round Earth poses no problems for a flat Earth believer and vice versa.
On a flat Earth they say everything could fall off the edges.
But on a round Earth everything should fall off the bottom.
Whichever one you believe, the truth is that Jesus holds everything together.
Colossians 1:17; "He is before all things, and in him all things hold together."

Is this a conspiracy?
The world would say yes?
What would you say?
The thing is, where on earth is the bottom as it depends on your point of reference.

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Isaiah 38:

8 Behold, I will bring again the shadow of the degrees, which is gone down in the sun dial of Ahaz, ten degrees backward. So the sun returned ten degrees, by which degrees it was gone down.

The Bible says "the sun returned ten degrees" - how does this translate into the Ball Earth model?

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
How does the sun "back up" or "stand still" in the Ball Earth model?

The Bible says both have actually happened.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I think the OP is trying to get the point across that - because we, as Christians, know Who has made everything in the manner that He decided to make it - and, are in agreement on this one most important thing - the shape of the earth should never be a point of contention between Christians.

TOTALLY agreed...excellent summation