I am actually against working more than 40 hours a week. Shut everything down at 40 per week.
i know lots of people like that. fortunately for my wife & I, we both have lots of energy so we're able to be nonstop. someone said if you are busy all the time, how is that you are on cc commenting? because i'm performing accounting work & antique work thru the computer concomitantly.
I understand about not wanting to work too much and burn ourselves out, but I do think, as Karlon is saying, God gives people different capacities.
My parents have always been like Energizer Bunnies -- go, go, go!!!
And like Karlon, 60 and 80 or more hours a week were more common for my Dad than 40.
But he was also able to retire and go into ministry. He and my Mom did financial counseling at churches, helping people get out of debt, for over 20 years -- all on their own time, and at their own cost. When they found out people couldn't afford to buy the most basic course pack materials, they produced their own and handed them out for free.
When a woman who had 32 credit cards maxed out told my Dad she planned on self-deletion, my parents worked with her for 2 years -- and she became debt-free. They met with her every week or more, all on their own time and dime, driving to where she was.
They could not have done this work if my Dad hadn't worked those long hours for so many years (he was also a provider husband, as my Mom quit work to be a stay-at-home mom when us kids came along.)
There are many things in life that, unfortunately, won't be achieved by a 40-hour work week. I'm not saying that's bad, I'm just saying, some people won't reach always achieve what they hope for with 40 hours. When God created the week and said 6 days of work and 1 day of rest, I don't think He ever said how many hours we should be working during those other 6 days. I often wonder what He WOULD mandate the work week to be -- and i would guess that it would be different for different people.
While I would love for everyone to be able to be able to put lower caps on their work hours, unfortunately, it's not possible for some.
If you had a family member who was in a bad car accident and clinging to life in the hospital, you wouldn't want your pastor to say, "Sorry, I can't come visit/pray for your mom/dad/child right now -- I already hit 40 hours this week, and that's my max. I'll get back to you when my next 40 hours kick in."
Same thing with anyone in the medical field and several other professions.
Do people pay with their health for working the long hours? Absolutely. I always say my Dad has had every medical test known to man -- at least twice.
But I've also seen some of the benefits as well.
All my life, people have said told me things like, "Why haven't I achieved what your Dad has?"
And I could tell them that if they really want to, the first thing they're going to have to sacrifice -- is the notion that they'll be working only 40 hours a week.
Of course, there are some exceptions -- but not as many as most people would like.