The Scripture is God's Greatest gift to All Mankind

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Chester

May 23, 2016
No way. Jesus is God's greatest gift. The Bible is only the written word of God and only reveals a little of His nature and character. Lord Jesus is the living Word of God. The Bible tells us the truth. Lord Jesus is the truth. If you see Him, you see the Father.

The Pharisees searched the scriptures, but failed to realise what they meant. They spoke about Jesus. You can know the Bible inside out and not be saved. You can only know Jesus if you are saved.
I agree with you that Jesus is the greatest gift. On the other hand, we really do not need to make too big a deal out of it all because without the Word we would not know the Lamb!

The Word is so intertwined with Jesus (who is in fact called the Word (logos) by John) that we must realize we need both.

I do think though that we need to be careful because some who put the written Word before the Son become dogmatic, legalistic, and unloving!

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Knowing Scripture does not bring salvation. Having faith in Jesus Christ does.

“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Having faith in Jesus Christ does.”

“But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; and that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭3:14-17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
How do you claim to know any of these things?
Why did the word become flesh?
How do you know the Spirit quickens the word?
When the Holy Spirit entered into me, I know all I needed know. When I see the dead words writtten, I understand in the Holy Spirit, not everything but all that is actives in my salvation.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Word of mouth like it was for quite some time
That wasn't the plan. John 17:20 says: "I am not praying for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word."

Jesus prayed for all those who would believe because of the testimony of His apostles. He wasn't just praying for those who would hear the apostles' word while they were still living, but all people in all times through their written words.

"And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name."—John 20:30-31

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The 66 books of the Bible is the greatest Gift God has given to mankind.
You might want to say that the Lord Jesus Christ Himself is the greatest gift which God has given to mankind (John 3:16). Paul says :"Thanks be unto God for this Unspeakable Gift!" Then we have the gift of the Holy Spirit. Then we have the gift of eternal life. Then we certainly have the gift of the Holy Scriptures. Is Christ the Word of God a greater gift than the written Word of God? Most definitely.

Iconoclast

May 27, 2017
Word of mouth like it was for quite some time
So. If Joseph Smith told you by word of mouth that Jesus and Lucifer were half brothers that would be okay with you?

Iconoclast

May 27, 2017
You might want to say that the Lord Jesus Christ Himself is the greatest gift which God has given to mankind (John 3:16). Paul says :"Thanks be unto God for this Unspeakable Gift!" Then we have the gift of the Holy Spirit. Then we have the gift of eternal life. Then we certainly have the gift of the Holy Scriptures. Is Christ the Word of God a greater gift than the written Word of God? Most definitely.
How do we know abput any and all of these things?

Iconoclast

May 27, 2017
That wasn't the plan. John 17:20 says: "I am not praying for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word."

Jesus prayed for all those who would believe because of the testimony of His apostles. He wasn't just praying for those who would hear the apostles' word while they were still living, but all people in all times through their written words.

"And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name."—John 20:30-31
Yes, you see it clearly as we are dependant on the God breathed scriptures

Snacks

Feb 10, 2022
Which is greater, the gold or the temple that sanctifies the gold? Obviously Scripture is the written Word of God but it is not a greater gift than God Himself, a.k.a. Jesus Christ.

Iconoclast

May 27, 2017
Which is greater, the gold or the temple that sanctifies the gold? Obviously Scripture is the written Word of God but it is not a greater gift than God Himself, a.k.a. Jesus Christ.
God is greater than anything as Creator

The Issue is, what is the greatest gift God has given to all mankind
How would you know about the biblical Jesus?
How would you know about creation, the fall, sin, death, eternal life, second death,being born from above, the 10commandments?

Iconoclast

May 27, 2017

This is the correct view.
The signs of the Apostles, were used to confirm their word as the word of God.
We are going to be judged by that same word.Jn12:48

BeeThePeace

May 2, 2022
47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

If Jesus was also God, the word made flesh, how does God keep his word there?:confused:

Iconoclast

May 27, 2017
8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.
10 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:
11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.
12 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.
13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

Iconoclast

May 27, 2017
47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

If Jesus was also God, the word made flesh, how does God keep his word there?:confused:
48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

BeeThePeace

May 2, 2022
48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
Doesn't actually answer my question. But I appreciate your thought and repost of that passage.

Iconoclast

May 27, 2017
Doesn't actually answer my question. But I appreciate your thought and repost of that passage.
I did not understand what you meant, but I will try.
Jesus came to earth to save those the Father gave to Him.
He took upon a body of flesh so He could die on behalf of His people.
So having accomplished redemption, He ascends to His heavenly Throne.
When he returns , he will separate the sheep from the goats.

Snacks

Feb 10, 2022
God is greater than anything as Creator

The Issue is, what is the greatest gift God has given to all mankind
How would you know about the biblical Jesus?
How would you know about creation, the fall, sin, death, eternal life, second death,being born from above, the 10commandments?
The Holy Spirit is not confined to a book. And your large print does not legitimize your view.

BeeThePeace

May 2, 2022
I did not understand what you meant, but I will try.
Jesus came to earth to save those the Father gave to Him.
He took upon a body of flesh so He could die on behalf of His people.
So having accomplished redemption, He ascends to His heavenly Throne.
When he returns , he will separate the sheep from the goats.
Thank you.

Aug 2, 2021
Now let me ask you to clarify.....where do you get any true knowledge of God?

How do you know which Jesus is to be worshipped?

The Christian Jesus?

The mormon jesus?

The JW jesus?

Where do we learn in detail about the creation?

Where do we find out about the fall into sin and death?

Who defines reality, ie, right and wrong?

At first it seems like a simple question, until we work through it.
Agree - the written Scripture is the Greatest Treasure of written Knowledge that was made available to us.

the Greatest Gift given to us is HIS WORD which was with the FATHER before the world ever came into existence.

jw's do not worship Jesus. They have corrupted the Scripture and actually reject the LORD Jesus Christ according to who HE says HE IS.
i am sure some are genuinely saved - only the LORD knows.

The FATHER did not send a 'christian jesus' but HE did send His only begotten Son and gave Him His Name.

There are christians with the name jesus by the way.
I have actually met one but he couldn't walk on water, heal the sick, give sight to the blind, open the ears of the deaf, heal cripples, cast out demons or raise the dead.