The self improvement thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

Hamarr

So, I floated this idea in Wild's thread, but I was thinking this might be a good place for discussing self improvement you are working on. Maybe we can use this theard for accountibility and ecouraging each other on?

I have been doing keto for several months but had stalled awhile back. I was also still seeing some blood sugar issues. After listening to the Diabetes Code by Jason Fung, I decided to give intermittent fasting another try. I am on day 7 and feel great. My mental clarity has also improved considerably, and I have more energy overall. I'm sure it's mostly water weight, but my weight has been dropping again. I'm down about 10 lbs already. My blood sugar is also looking tons better.

Another thing I am working on is moving out of isolation. I come home from work and usually hang out unless I am walking my dog. A big part of that has been lack of energy, but IF is helping that to improve. I would like to get to church more regularly and check out other options for socializing or making friends outside of work.

Pipp

Majestic Llamacorn
Sep 17, 2013
Georgia
I'm also doing keto and intermittent fasting. Like you said I feel the best when I do that . I started Nov. 1st and as of this morning I'm down 41 lbs . Praise the Lord.

Something I need to work on is getting my drivers license soon. Yes, I know a 35 year old without a driver's license is unheard of , but its something I've put off for the stupidest reason...you ready for it ?? Im afraid I'll fail the test. I have my learners and I know how to drive, but some reason the test freaks me out . I don't do well under pressure. I know it's silly and the worse that could happen is I fail then try again later , but its held me back all these years. In all honesty...I'm kinda embarrassed about it . Y'all pray for me that I will get out of my head and just do what I need to do.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
I'm doing core and plank exercises, and walking at least once a day-sometimes twice.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
i need to socialize more with people at my local fellowship. i want to make friends.. but... at the same time, i don't wanna lol.

i need to get back to diet and exercise. i think i've gained back all the weight i lost before getting married. it's funny how exercising gives you more energy, but i need energy to start exercising lol

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
So, I floated this idea in Wild's thread, but I was thinking this might be a good place for discussing self improvement you are working on. Maybe we can use this theard for accountibility and ecouraging each other on?

I have been doing keto for several months but had stalled awhile back. I was also still seeing some blood sugar issues. After listening to the Diabetes Code by Jason Fung, I decided to give intermittent fasting another try. I am on day 7 and feel great. My mental clarity has also improved considerably, and I have more energy overall. I'm sure it's mostly water weight, but my weight has been dropping again. I'm down about 10 lbs already. My blood sugar is also looking tons better.

Another thing I am working on is moving out of isolation. I come home from work and usually hang out unless I am walking my dog. A big part of that has been lack of energy, but IF is helping that to improve. I would like to get to church more regularly and check out other options for socializing or making friends outside of work.

I love the solitude of isolation, but I think God didn't want that, so I think He let me get pneumonia, so I would have to go back into civilation. Sounds like you're doing well.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
I'm also doing keto and intermittent fasting. Like you said I feel the best when I do that . I started Nov. 1st and as of this morning I'm down 41 lbs . Praise the Lord.

Something I need to work on is getting my drivers license soon. Yes, I know a 35 year old without a driver's license is unheard of , but its something I've put off for the stupidest reason...you ready for it ?? Im afraid I'll fail the test. I have my learners and I know how to drive, but some reason the test freaks me out . I don't do well under pressure. I know it's silly and the worse that could happen is I fail then try again later , but its held me back all these years. In all honesty...I'm kinda embarrassed about it . Y'all pray for me that I will get out of my head and just do what I need to do.

Good for you! I think I found some of those. I know someone who has that issue about that test. I prayed for you, and will continue.

H

Hamarr

i need to socialize more with people at my local fellowship. i want to make friends.. but... at the same time, i don't wanna lol.

i need to get back to diet and exercise. i think i've gained back all the weight i lost before getting married. it's funny how exercising gives you more energy, but i need energy to start exercising lol

Yeah, that is a killer for me too. I feel so much better when I lift, but when it has been awhile those first few times are painful. I need to push through and get going again.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018

You'll get there. I had severe anxiety from being around people when I first started going to church, but God took that away.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
I will pray for each of you. that way I won't start slacking on my prayer.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
You'll get there. I had severe anxiety from being around people when I first started going to church, but God took that away.
i was at my old church since i was 6. as a teen, i was withdrawn and antisocial. it wasn't until my mid 20s that i began to spend time with people.

so... as you can see.. it takes me a while before i get comfortable with people lol

H

Hamarr

i was at my old church since i was 6. as a teen, i was withdrawn and antisocial. it wasn't until my mid 20s that i began to spend time with people.

so... as you can see.. it takes me a while before i get comfortable with people lol

Being shy or having social anxiety can suck. I used to put tons of effort into it when I was younger. Trying to stay after and get to know people. My social skills were not the best then, though.

I put on a lot of weight since then. I get self conscious about reaching out or even going places sometimes. But if I wait until I drop wait to get out I till be isolated a long time.

Aug 2, 2009

Pipp, you can just get someone to practice with you. Have them sit in the passenger seat while you drive around the block, stop at a stop sign, parallel park, etc.. It will be just like the real test. A lot of people fail it. I failed it my first time because when I came to a stop sign I stopped too close to the intersection, so people walking across wouldn't have room to walk in fornt of my car. But you get to take it again. It's no big deal really.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I didn't get my license until I was 21 and my reason was more stupider than yours. I just didn't bother. I lived about a block from my job, and my bank was on the same block, and the supermarket was also right there... *shrug* I had a bicycle if I wanted to go across town but I rarely needed to.

Indolence forever!

JustEli

Dec 23, 2018
In all aspects of life, I find a body that is in motion, tends to well you know......

I failed my first drive test, and nearly my second and third, nearly dont count though. haha
clearly Ive had uh..... issues with driving.

On a funny note, 18 yr old Eli took his second drive test without his shirt on, with a female
instructor! Still makes me laugh. (in my defense it was 100 degrees out)

JustEli

Dec 23, 2018
44 yr old Eli is in the process of getting his driver lic back for the third time in life.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
i took my driver's test at 19. i only missed 1 question for the written test. for the driving, i think i barely passed.

funny story, the ONLY time i ever paralleled park was for the driving test lol.

L

LadyInWaiting

I was 21 when I got my license. I passed the written test with ease but the driving portion was barely passed. lol I failed the entire parallel parking part.

I am also doing keto. So far so good. On Monday I plan to start counting calories as well. This way I could get to my goals even faster!

At the beginning of this year I started reading the Word daily, doing two devotionals (Jesus Calling and In Touch by Charles Stanley) and the verse of the day from the Bible app. I needed to be fed more spiritually. I love it so far! It's only been three months since I started on January 1 but I've learned so much! :love: Sometimes I wanna quit college to get a degree in some type of religious studies. lol Then I come back to reality.

I am also walking 30 min a day M-F. I started this in late January.

Tip: Use the productive app on your phone to track all your new habits. Your day gets shaded in when you accomplish all of them for each day. It doesn't feel good when your day is not shaded. The good thing is if you miss a task on, for example, Tuesday, you can do it Thursday and Tuesday will be shaded in when you complete the task!

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
i took my driver's test at 19. i only missed 1 question for the written test. for the driving, i think i barely passed.

funny story, the ONLY time i ever paralleled park was for the driving test lol.
What is parallel park? Is that two city parks right beside each other? :p

Kidding of course, but in Tennessee they don't even include that in the driving test. No I'm not kidding. I took the test and they never even mentioned parallel parking.

I can parallel park though. Pull up even with the car in front of the target parking space, then back in. Simple. I've done it before, just to see if I could do it. I could.

H

Hamarr

I have never had to parallel park since the driving test. There is usually parking in a lot around here. I was so nervous about it on my driving test that I did it at about 20mph during the test. I scared the guy but he was impressed.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I'm kinda chuckling at the reasons why some didn't get their driver's license til later than "normal". I had my learner's permit at 15 1/2 with plans of getting my license at 16 like the rest of my friends but then didn't get it til I was 17 1/2. I kinda "borrowed" mom's car before I got my license and totaled it. My punishment was that dad wouldn't sign for my license until the car was paid for (fortunately it was an older car that wasn't worth much).