The serious errors of Oneness/United Pentecostals

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
Jesus said

"baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit"
Matt 28:19

What I wonder at is why change this? A theological itch or feeling?
There must be a deeper problem they are searching to distinguish themselves from other groups.

And the foundation of scripture being our authority is abandoned, leads to authority being placed
in the leadership of the movement, which normally shifts further and further away.

It would not surprise me if when people go to church, and read scripture, most are not oneness
believers at all, but put up with their teachings, until they can find somewhere else to go.

God bless you

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Preaching that everyone who recieves the Holy Spirit will speak in tongues is simply a lie.. A false doctrine..

The NT makes it clear that different gifts are given to different Christians.. Tongues being one of those gifts..

1 Corinthians 12: KJV
20 "But now are they many members, yet but one body. {21} And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you. {22} Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary: {23} And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness. {24} For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked: {25} That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. {26} And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it. {27} Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular. {28} And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. {29} Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? {30} Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?"

1 Corinthians 14: KJV

4 "He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. {5} I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying."

Paul says he wished all spoke in tongues.. Meaning that Not all of the saints spoke in tongues.. This is so clear.. All people have to do to avoid false teachings is to read the Word of God.. Sadly so many people just listen to men they assume are men of God.. When in fact they are simply Wrong..

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
To me, it doesn't matter, if you know God, you know Him, the number ascribed to Him doesn't really matter. Both Trinity and oneness doctrine come from literal reading of the scripture and not deep understanding of God. God is truth, expressed as wisdom and knowledge - saying 'truth is one or three in one' because of a few passages in the bible will not take you far.

K

Kim82

I don't see how people can argue against baptism. It's just plain disobedience to the word of God.

K

Kim82

To me, it doesn't matter, if you know God, you know Him, the number ascribed to Him doesn't really matter.
Yes it does. Will you accept it if something says there are 5 Gods?

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Yes it does. Will you accept it if something says there are 5 Gods?
It is not about numbers.

Trinity is trinity because the bible says God is one yet He seems to reveal Himself as three persons.
Oneness is oneness because the bible says God is one and there's no other besides Him.
The bible also says there are seven spirits of God.

If a person came and said God is 5 in one based on their understanding, they are just adding to the number of people who dwell on numbers rather than understanding God.

7seasrekeyed

If anyone thinks it humorous and worthy of berating any denomination in particular be it Mormon, Jw, Pentacostal, Charismatic, Baptist ad nauseum, the unfortunate soul should reveal the name of the denomination our Lord, and our God, teaches. I know, and I am of the same as He as long as He will have me. God bless allwho learn from the Teacher, amen. (and all who will.)
what it seems you fail to understand, is the fact these oneness groups are creating stipulations that detract from God's grace and the sacrifice of His Son

tell me

do you think we can or should add to salvation or is the blood of sufficient ?

oneness doctrine adds to the blood of Christ for forgiveness

that is what this about. distorting the scripture that states that forgiveness is only by the blood and the only thing acceptable for forgiveness of sins before God

oh they will tell you they believe that, but check out their 5 item list and you will find that not to be so

7seasrekeyed

Exactly. Baptism by immersion was an ancient Christian practice after the apostolic age. But the false doctrine of BAPTISMAL REGENERATION (adopted by the Oneness crowd) arose early and became the dogma of the Catholic church.

right

we see infant baptism added to this in the Catholic church, Lutheran and various others

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
what it seems you fail to understand, is the fact these oneness groups are creating stipulations that detract from God's grace and the sacrifice of His Son

tell me

do you think we can or should add to salvation or is the blood of sufficient ?

oneness doctrine adds to the blood of Christ for forgiveness

that is what this about. distorting the scripture that states that forgiveness is only by the blood and the only thing acceptable for forgiveness of sins before God

oh they will tell you they believe that, but check out their 5 item list and you will find that not to be so
If you read my post, I am addressing the previous posts ridiculing specific denominations and movements…………...not the Oneness movement alone.

I am permitted to respond to posts withing the thread am I not? Thank you and god bless you.

7seasrekeyed

I don't see how people can argue against baptism. It's just plain disobedience to the word of God.
you need to pay attention

NO ONE HAS EVER ARGUED AGAINST BAPTISM

this is about water regeneration...

stating water cleanses from sin and stating the blood of Christ is not applied until a person is baptized and speaking in tongues

do you speak in tongues? I do, but it does save me

have you been baptized? I have, but it confirms my desire to follow Christ. it is not salvation

then again, are you also oneness Pentecostal?

7seasrekeyed

FollowHisSteps

"baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit"
Matt 28:19

What I wonder at is why change this? A theological itch or feeling?
There must be a deeper problem they are searching to distinguish themselves from other groups.

this is not what you believe. I see we can add deliberate deception to your list of misdeeds

And the foundation of scripture being our authority is abandoned, leads to authority being placed
in the leadership of the movement, which normally shifts further and further away.

It would not surprise me if when people go to church, and read scripture, most are not oneness
believers at all, but put up with their teachings, until they can find somewhere else to go.

really?

you are not really telling the truth

you believe that is a person does not speak in tongues and is not baptized they are not saved

NEITHER of which is scriptural

you started a thread that is continuing with the intent of teaching the actual things you believe

have you suddenly become embarrassed about the cult like teaching you are spreading?

I guess I will have to put links to your posts where you admit that what you teach is not what you are saying here

7seasrekeyed

If you read my post, I am addressing the previous posts ridiculing specific denominations and movements…………...not the Oneness movement alone.

I am permitted to respond to posts withing the thread am I not? Thank you and god bless you.
well, ANY denom that deviates from scripture should be refuted

don't you think so?

how many people are led astray be those who teach things like you have to obey our rules or you are not saved?

I am pretty sure you do not believe that

you certainly are allowed to respond to posts and so am I :geek:

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
well, ANY denom that deviates from scripture should be refuted

don't you think so?

how many people are led astray be those who teach things like you have to obey our rules or you are not saved?

I am pretty sure you do not believe that

you certainly are allowed to respond to posts and so am I :geek:

Over the years, here in the BDF, I have posted my understanding of denominations, and, in a nutshell, cannot belong to any one of them, however I most definitely believe there are brethren in just about all denominations. My understnding, because the New Testament teaches this, is that we, as Gentiles, have been made heris with the Children of Israel, and we are now sonsof Abraham. That last is in reference to having the faith of Abraham, all.

Were I to be required to address the errors of denomination doctrines, I wouldnever have time to praise God and edify others in Jesus, Yeshua, and that is just wrong, but you know that,.

God bless you and keep up the good fight in Jesus...

7seasrekeyed

here is the list the oneness people follow in order to secure their salvation

1. Acceptance of Jesus sacrifice and repentance

2. Water Baptism (receive the priestly garments)

3. Infilling of the Holy Ghost

4. Priestly office secured

5. Blood of Jesus sacrifice is applied

Jesus does not save a person unless they first are water baptized. is that what scripture teaches?

yet, the Bible clearly teaches that you receive Christ and then are water baptized

if someone receives Christ, number one on the op list, they are saved there. everything else follows

water regeneration is not taught in scripture

this is what oneness is spreading

no one has stated baptism should not occur. that is not a true statement and people would be wise not to fall for this deception

look up the words baptismal regeneration

that is what is believed

7seasrekeyed

Over the years, here in the BDF, I have posted my understanding of denominations, and, in a nutshell, cannot belong to any one of them, however I most definitely believe there are brethren in just about all denominations. My understnding, because the New Testament teaches this, is that we, as Gentiles, have been made heris with the Children of Israel, and we are now sonsof Abraham. That last is in reference to having the faith of Abraham, all.

Were I to be required to address the errors of denomination doctrines, I wouldnever have time to praise God and edify others in Jesus, Yeshua, and that is just wrong, but you know that,.

God bless you and keep up the good fight in Jesus...
that is not my point at all

my point is that baptism does not wash away sins as the oneness people are stating

now if you also believe that? then you are also in error

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
My commentas due to a coupld of recent posts ridiculing Charismatics in general, Pentacost and more ...……….I pointed this out to you, and I am not relating to the OP.....People do this all of the time, and I am a people too. sorry.

7seasrekeyed

My commentas due to a coupld of recent posts ridiculing Charismatics in general, Pentacost and more ...……….I pointed this out to you, and I am not relating to the OP.....People do this all of the time, and I am a people too. sorry.

I speak in tongues myself so that is not disagreement there

they refer to themselves as Pentecostal, but please...I am so tired of that moniker and the way people view it

there were no Pentecostals in the NT.

this is a name that has been derived from the day of Pentecost and it has come to mean many things and many of them derogatory

this thread is not even about what name people call themselves. I already explained what is going on here a few times

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
You seem to have missed the point altogether. Christians do not argue against baptism.

But Bible-believing Christians reject the false doctrine of baptismal regeneration -- that there is no salvation and no New Birth without baptism, and that a person is only born again at the time of baptism. That unless a person is baptized he or she is barred from Heaven.

This is because the words of Christ in John 3:5 have been misunderstood and misrepresented: Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. This metaphorical water is actually the Word of God -- the Gospel, which is the power of God unto salvation (Rom 1:16), and the incorruptible seed of the New Birth (1 Pet 1:23-25). This is also the "clean water" mentioned in the OT (Ezek 36:25), which is sprinkled on hearts and souls, and results in a new heart and a new spirit.

If indeed the New Birth depended upon the water of baptism, then Paul would have made that a part of his Gospel. Instead, here is what he said (1 Cor 1:17,18):
For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. Now this is very significant, since there was a dispute about baptism in the Corinthian church. But here it is the preaching of the cross which is the power of God unto salvation.

Christian baptism is a work of righteousness -- the first step of obedience to Christ and towards sanctification. But here is what Paul said by divine inspiration in Titus 3:4-8, and it clearly tells us that regeneration (the New Birth) is an inner, spiritual, and supernatural work of the Holy Spirit:
4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;
7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

It is a very serious matter to pervert the Gospel of God. The Judaizers were insisting that circumcision was necessary for salvation (Galatians). Today we have various cults (including the Oneness people) insisting that water baptism is essential for salvation.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I speak in tongues myself so that is not disagreement there

they refer to themselves as Pentecostal, but please...I am so tired of that moniker and the way people view it

there were no Pentecostals in the NT.

this is a name that has been derived from the day of Pentecost and it has come to mean many things and many of them derogatory

this thread is not even about what name people call themselves. I already explained what is going on here a few times
Not to shuck anyone, but I believe you ad I agree on a lot more than you could realize. God bless you, and I will exile myself for not staying in the OP....

7seasrekeyed

Not to shuck anyone, but I believe you ad I agree on a lot more than you could realize. God bless you, and I will exile myself for not staying in the OP....
I am less shocked these days having been on CC for some years now, then I used to be LOL!

I've now heard it all from 'the Lord's prayer is no valid anymore'

to

the Bible is just man's opinion and only the 10 commandments are from God (that one is recent)

people's gotz a screw loose o_O