The sign of Jonas, three days and three nights

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
Think that he was the guy that got ate by a rather large fish. Or was that Jonah? I believe that both spellings are biblically acceptable.
Jonah was swallowed by the whale. I've never seen the name rendered Jonas.

Jan 25, 2015
Jonah was swallowed by the whale. I've never seen the name rendered Jonas.
One thing we should try to understand that one letter can change if it was written in Hebrew or Greek (not sure if this is the case with our friend Jonah/Jonas).

Paul is the Greek name and Saul was the Hebrew name used for Paul.

Judah is the Hebrew name and Judas the Greek name.

Maybe it is the same with Jonah and Jonas??? :unsure:

Jan 25, 2015
The one who got their ear cut off suffered, jesus was arrested in the garden but the flogging and the beating and the nailing came later.
When Jesus was arrested they took him to a jail cell below the house of Pontius Pilate. The cell is supposedly still in existence today and it is actually a deep dark cave below the house of the governor. I wouldn’t want to sit in that cell for too long….

Jun 10, 2019
[
When Jesus was arrested they took him to a jail cell below the house of Pontius Pilate. The cell is supposedly still in existence today and it is actually a deep dark cave below the house of the governor. I wouldn’t want to sit in that cell for too long….
Hmm interesting thanks for the info I’ll have too look into that got any links.

Speaking of how many places was He taken before appearing before the crowd?

Jan 25, 2015
[

Hmm interesting thanks for the info I’ll have too look into that got any links.

Speaking of how many places was He taken before appearing before the crowd?

Our church go to Israel twice a year and that is one of the place they visit, me and the wife plan to go soon because apparently it is amazing to see it and more often than not people just breakdown when they enter the cell.

I actually don't know how many times he did appear...

Jun 10, 2019
Our church go to Israel twice a year and that is one of the place they visit, me and the wife plan to go soon because apparently it is amazing to see it and more often than not people just breakdown when they enter the cell.

I actually don't know how many times he did appear...
Three first the Pharisees court to Pilate to Herod back to Pilate then 🤔 well a few places. and three robes brilliant blue, purple and scarlet red, these the colors of the temple per OT the soldiers knew that of them.

Jan 25, 2015
Three first the Pharisees court to Pilate to Herod back to Pilate then 🤔 well a few places. and three robes brilliant blue, purple and scarlet red, these the colors of the temple per OT the soldiers knew that of them.
Wow amazing brother.

The word of God is perfect. This is why I don't understand that people think we need man's interpretation to explain His word.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
The video talks about when Jesus was handed over to the sinners begins the hour of him being in the hearth of the earth.
watcher, that is just spiritualizing the plain meaning of the scripture. I always wonder why so many people come with these off-the-wall interpretations of scripture.

The heart of the earth does not = the Jesus being handed over to the sinners.

The thief who was crucified next to Jesus said, "Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom. And Jesus said, "truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise."

How Jesus make such a promise to this man when they both died that very day?

The answer is, just as when Lazarus and the rich man died, their spirits went to Sheol/Hades, which is where Abraham was, with the spirit of Lazarus taken to Abraham's side (bossum). The area of sheol/Hades was dived up into two areas, with one side being a place of comfort/paradise which is were Abraham and Lazarus were and the other area was a place of torment in flame, which is where the rich man was.

When Jesus said, "today you will be with me in paradise," it was the comfort area of Sheol/Hades that he was referring to. When both Jesus and the thief died, their spirits departed and that is where they went to.

There is no way that the Lord being in the heart of the earth can be interpreted as being handed over to sinners.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
actually..its not the only thing that the video shows as the problem with wednesday..
here...picture this..Jesus this words on wednesday 3pm
Luk 13:32 And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected.
Today - wednesday
tomorrow - thursday
third day - friday...

you third day is the fourth day...
Regarding the three days, it is also important to understand that, if something happened before sunset, it was still counted as happening on that day. For example, scripture states that Jesus died around the ninth hour which was from 12pm to 3pm. Since He died before sunset, that would be counted as a day. The scripture does not say, that the Son of man will be in the heart of the earth for 72 hours on the dot!

watcher2013

Aug 6, 2013
watcher, that is just spiritualizing the plain meaning of the scripture. I always wonder why so many people come with these off-the-wall interpretations of scripture.

The thief who was crucified next to Jesus said, "Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom. And Jesus said, "truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise."

The answer is, just as when Lazarus and the rich man died, their spirits went to Sheol/Hades, which is where Abraham was, with the spirit of Lazarus taken to Abraham's side (bossum). The area of sheol/Hades was dived up into two areas, with one side being a place of comfort/paradise which is were Abraham and Lazarus were and the other area was a place of torment in flame, which is where the rich man was.

When Jesus said, "today you will be with me in paradise," it was the comfort area of Sheol/Hades that he was referring to. When both Jesus and the thief died, their spirits departed and that is where they went to.

There is no way that the Lord being in the heart of the earth can be interpreted as being handed over to sinners.
These are the words of Jesus regarding the third day...
Mar 9:31 KJV For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day.

Note:...this begins when he was delivered into the hands of men...then killed...then rise again.

Mar 10:34 KJV And they shall mock him, and shall scourge him, and shall spit upon him, and shall kill him: and the third day he shall rise again.

Including mocking, scourging, spitting...

Luk 9:22 KJV Saying, The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be slain, and be raised the third day.

To suffer many things, rejected of chief priest, elders, scribes...

Thats what he prophesied...

Then Jesus said this....

Mat 26:45 KJV Then cometh he to his disciples, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.

The hour is at hand...
The beginning of the fulfilment of what he prophesied...
He begins to be swallowed by the heart of the earth...
Begins the suffering of Jesus...(you can look at this as Jonas was swallowed by the fish alive then he suffer., but that is not what meant by Jesus as the sign..the sign is only three days and three nights)
And coincidentally thats your first night...

Mar 28, 2016

That would be pretty much be the result of someone's literalizing the spiritual understanding hid in parables. Remember the commandment is without parable he spoke not. No commandment that informs us . . just literalize the signified tongue of God. ignore the gospel understanding.

The parable in Luke is a continuation of 5 parables. It does not speak of manner of hell. . not the subject matter.. The context is necromancy. The request. Send the dead legion of disembodied spirits as spirits of lies to the living. Twice Christ said that was impossible to commune with the dead .Saying if they do not hear the two witnesses of God as one witness . The law and the prophets. Moses and Elijah.(sola scriptura) Then neither would they if they saw someone arise from the dead .

Faith that is needed to believe God comes by hearing as it is written, not seeing ,walking by sight.

The heart of the "corrupted suffering" earth does = the Jesus being handed over to the sinners. The blood of Abel speaks of a living suffering crying out to be clothed with the incorruptible. Cain plowed him under .Out of sight out of mind the foundation of paganism .No faith

Romans 8:22For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

Hell is defined by reason of a living suffering. One cries out for strength. . The punishment Cain could not bear. No sabbath rest.

Jonah 2 King James Version (KJV) Then Jonah prayed unto the Lord his God out of the fish's belly, And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
This is a “new’ thing how people want to explain to us that Jesus was crucified the Wednesday or Thursday and resurrected the Sunday with complex calculations. The truth of the matter is that the word of God teaches us exactly what happened and we know for a fact that Jesus was crucified on Friday and resurrected by Sunday. If we study the feast days of YHVH we will also understand that it was a shadow of things to come and that is why these theories don’t carry any weight.
Not necessarily Friday. We know for certain that the resurrection happened sometime after sundown that begins 17 Nisan......the day after the nearest normal Saturday Sabbath after Passover which is always Sunday. However, Passover can occurr ANY day (other than Saturday as far as I know.....but please Check on that), so it is perfectly conceivable to get an exact 72 hours if the burial was after sundown (start) Thursday, reresurrection just after sundown (start) Sunday . I was a partial Friday man for quite some time....but now Thursday looks better to me. But Friday is the most flexible choice. Really not that important IMO. Jesus is not mistaken whatever the case may be.