The sin of quenching the spirit of truth?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

DJ2

Apr 15, 2017
Can we by ignoring or purposely choosing to shut down certain viewpoints be guilty of quenching the spirit of truth? If we find ourselves turning a blind eye to certain ideas simply because they do not align with our current theology, is this in itself a sin? At what point do we cross over from innocent ignorance to quenching the spirit of truth?

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
Can we by ignoring or purposely choosing to shut down certain viewpoints be guilty of quenching the spirit of truth? If we find ourselves turning a blind eye to certain ideas simply because they do not align with our current theology, is this in itself a sin? At what point do we cross over from innocent ignorance to quenching the spirit of truth?

It should not be considered a quenching but a debate... Debates are great. I will either become stronger in my belief or change my mind.

People do not like the debate... They are pansies... Cannot take scarcusim... like they are pansies....lol Some do give credence and actually provoke deep thought and prayer... If it is a debatable issue (which G-d did write in His Word, like healing, prosperity... but NEVER THAT Y-SHUA IS THE ONLY WAY TO HEAVEN, HE DIED ON THE CROSS, ROSE FROM THE DEAD, and IS COMING BACK)... If you debate these you are RIGHT, you are quenching the Truth!!!!

Sep 4, 2012
It's good to have a supple heart and an open, lowly mind so that we don't quench the spirit. Holding wrong ideas in a lifted up mind is akin to idolatry and can prevent us from hearing the holy spirit.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Scripture teaches that for him to know to do right and does not do it to him it is sin. Perhaps any sin quenches the Holy Spirit or repeated sin and refusal to repent when continuous conviction is present results in quenching the Holy Spirit.

At some point there is no return.

1Ti 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

I have no idea where that point lies. Prudence would give it a wide berth.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
What it seems you are asking is what constitutes blasphemy of the Holy Ghost?

Of course blasphemy is speaking against the Spirit of truth, so choosing to ignore the word of truth is not in and of itself blasphemy, yet when one intentionally seeks to hinder or prohibit others from being able to hear the testimony of those who words are given unto them by the LORD can not claim innocent ignorance since actions speak louder than words.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
KJV Dictionary Definition:

QUENCH,

1. To extinguish; to put out; as, to quench flame.

2. To still; to quiet; to repress; as, to quench a passion or emotion.

3. To allay or extinguish; as, to quench thirst.

1 Thes 5:19 To cool; to become cool.

QUENCH'ING, ppr. Extinguishing; quieting; stifling; repressing.

NUFF SAID!

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
If it is a debatable issue (which G-d did write in His Word, like healing, prosperity... but NEVER THAT Y-SHUA IS THE ONLY WAY TO HEAVEN, HE DIED ON THE CROSS, ROSE FROM THE DEAD, and IS COMING BACK)...
The scriptures allow a person to try the words to see whether they be of truth, that is not quenching the Spirit of truth, especially since no prophesy of scripture is of any private interpretation.

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: 1 John 4:1
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 2 Peter 1:20

It is error only and not truth that shrinks from inquiry. Thomas Paine.

If you debate these you are RIGHT, you are quenching the Truth!!!!
Actually, you are saying that your interpretation should be held as an axiom, to the exclusion of all other interpretations.

31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. 32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
Matt 12:31-32

CS1

May 23, 2012
context, setting, and reason

Not every setting is going to allow you to change one’s mind. The presupposing is too, those who do not agree with one is in some way “quenching the Spirit of truth". No, they just do not agree with a person view. So because they do not agree some will move to the subtle attack

they are quenching the Holy Spirit or blasphemy of the Holy Spirit . Why? Because they will not agree with a person.
The setting here is not going to provide that correction. All one can do is present their view Biblically and then let those be.
The point, to when one crosses the line, is when one has to attack the person they did not agree with. Instead of sticking with the word, praying for them, and creating a false narrative .

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The phrase (in the KJV), "Quench not the Spirit" is part of a series of instructive admonitions at the end of Paul's letter. It is not given in the context of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit and it is unlikely that Paul is conflating the two concepts.

The context should serve as a warning to those who interpret all prophecy as adding to Scripture, or who demand that all spiritual gifts be manifested within certain narrow parameters.

7seasrekeyed

and here we have the true meaning of the word 'ironic'

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
Do you know what the Bible says is the Spirit of Truth?

7seasrekeyed

The phrase (in the KJV), "Quench not the Spirit" is part of a series of instructive admonitions at the end of Paul's letter. It is not given in the context of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit and it is unlikely that Paul is conflating the two concepts.

The context should serve as a warning to those who interpret all prophecy as adding to Scripture, or who demand that all spiritual gifts be manifested within certain narrow parameters.

what I have found in the forums, is that an op will 'set up' a thread to 'prove' what they think but seem unawares they sometimes prove what they want to say about someone else also applies to them

and I mean that in a general fashion

7seasrekeyed

I'll add that when the scriptures say do not quench the Spirit, that the people to whom that was addressed, had a much better idea of what that meant than the way some may apply it today

it can work both ways

some will interpret it as anything goes instead of taking Paul's admonition to test the spirits etc and do things decently and in order

W

whatev

I don't know about we, but I'm very good at it. There is only one viewpoint I don't want to shut down -- God's. All other viewpoints are pointless, so why keep them open?

And isn't quenching the spirit of truth a good thing? I thirst for truth. I seek truth. I am happy when my thirst is quenched.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
All *theology* must be firmly supported by Scripture, but there are many theologies which are not. When something is solidly supported by Scripture e.g. the deity of Christ, and someone who does not believe it is presented with Scripture, they have an obligation to believe the Word of God (if they claim to be Christians). So persistent rejection of Bible truth from Scripture is in fact quenching the Spirit. And this is very common on Christian forums.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
It should not be considered a quenching but a debate... Debates are great.
Except that there is very little that is debatable in the Bible. Not that it keeps people from debating. But you will not find Christ and the apostles debating. They proclaimed Christian truth.

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
Except that there is very little that is debatable in the Bible. Not that it keeps people from debating. But you will not find Christ and the apostles debating. They proclaimed Christian truth.
Proverbs 25:9

What about the faith and works controversy as some refer to it, or the debate, in scripture between the Apostle James and the Apostle Paul?

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
So here we are 2000 plus years after God gave us His Son. We can't seem to agree on very many things. Proof positive that the antichrist has snuck in and done his dirty work.

blue-smiley-feeling-sad.gif

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I don't know about we, but I'm very good at it. There is only one viewpoint I don't want to shut down -- God's. All other viewpoints are pointless, so why keep them open?

And isn't quenching the spirit of truth a good thing? I thirst for truth. I seek truth. I am happy when my thirst is quenched.
Respectfully, I believe you're mixing two senses in which the word "quench" is used. One is to douse, put out, or extinguish, as with an unwanted fire. The other is to satisfy, as with thirst. You're kind of "putting out the fire of thirst" - that's how the senses are related. :)