The Sinful Charge of Idolatry Against King James Bible Believers

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
King James Bible believers hold that the King James Bible is perfect in the sense of being an entirely accurate transmission of the original scriptures from times past into our present English tongue.

LOL........
 

sure, it makes sense, but this seems like you're diverting the conversation from what the actual original text says.

but if this is what you'd rather talk about than the pretty obvious fact that "strain at" is not in any of the existing Greek manuscripts and is an altogether different word than "strain out" -- i might point out that the Pharisees in no way "strained at" giving tithes -- quite the opposite, they loved to make a great show of doing it:

Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
(Matthew 6:2)

The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
(Luke 18:11-12)
​

we may be able to fiddle around with interpretation until it sounds good to us, but nevertheless, accurate rendition from one language to another isn't accomplished by private interpretation, but by literal translation, and "strain at" literally isn't in the text.

this is what i was talking about in my post yesterday -- some "KJB believers" would rather talk around the obvious mis-translation than honor what the actual scripture says. wouldn't you rather have an accurate translation than have to go through a bunch of hoops to justify a mistake?
Ok course the Pharisees had no problem giving tithes... the tithes are the camel and Jesus said they easily swallowed the camel. The Pharisess issue was with the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith... the gnat. They omittted the gnat, why did they omit the gnat?
 
The term' King James Bible believer' makes me a little uncomfortable It poses the question as to whether reading other versions makes one an unbeliever. Are people who read the original Hebrew and Greek Bible less believers than King James readers? I sometimes read the KJV. Am I more of a believer when I do so?

1 Peter 1:23 KJV
Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Let the bible answer those questions for you... You are born again right? Are you born again of corruptible words or incorruptible words?
 
This proves that the KJV is not perfect. In Acts 15, James quoted a prophecy in Amos 9:12. It matches the translation found in the Septuagint. The KJV is different.

Amos 9:12 in Acts 15 (KJV)

That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things. Acts 15:17​

Amos 9:12 in the Septuagint

That the remnant of men, and all the Gentiles upon whom my name is called, may earnestly seek [me], saith the Lord who does all these things. ​ Amos 9:12​

Amos 9:12 in the KJV

That they may possess the remnant of Edom, and of all the heathen, which are called by my name, saith the LORD that doeth this. Amos 9:12​

The only mistake I see is in the newer translations as proven by the incorrect translation of the ESV.

Acts 15:17English Standard Version (ESV)

17 that the remnant[a] of mankind may seek the Lord,
and all the Gentiles who are called by my name,
says the Lord, who makes these things


"The remnant of mankind"? What is that? We know who the Gentiles are, they are non-Jews. So who is "the remnant of mankind"? That would be all of mankind which is WRONG.... All of mankind is not going to seek after the Lord, only the "residue" of men and Gentiles who are called by His name will seek after him. So who is "the residue of men"?

Amos 9:12King James Version (KJV)

12 That they may possess the remnant of Edom, and of all the heathen, which are called by my name, saith the Lord that doeth this.

The residue of men IS the remnant of Edom... Blood descendants of Abraham and Isaac! So those that will seek after the Lord are the remnant of the Jews and the Gentiles who are called by his name!

This is the kind of denial and rationalization that enables the belief that the KJV is not perfect. Amos 9:12 in the KJV and Septuagint are obviously different, and James witnessed which is right.

The remnant of men are those who seek the lord, as it says in the verse.
 
1 Peter 1:23 KJV
Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Let the bible answer those questions for you... You are born again right? Are you born again of corruptible words or incorruptible words?

I am born of God, and the words of God. Not the KJV, The NKJV, The NASB, The ASV or any other english translation of that word.

You just show why people call you people idolators.. youer holding a TRANSLATION of the true word as an idol.
 

I am born of God, and the words of God. Not the KJV, The NKJV, The NASB, The ASV or any other english translation of that word.

You just show why people call you people idolators.. youer holding a TRANSLATION of the true word as an idol.
I'm sorry but I'm not an idol worshiper, I worship the image of Jesus Christ found on the pages of His incorruptible word... I don't worship an image that I carved out of Greek and Hebrew words that I don't understand.
 
I've made a mistake, the defense of "strain at" here is that they would strain the liquid "at" seeing a mere gnat in it and then proceed to swallow a camel.
 
I'm sorry but I'm not an idol worshiper, I worship the image of Jesus Christ found on the pages of His incorruptible word... I don't worship an image that I carved out of Greek and Hebrew words that I don't understand.

Jesus Christ is not bound up in the pages of a book. And Christians do not worship an image of Him contained in the pages of a book, we worship Him. You have made eternally-gratefull's point for him.
 
I'm sorry but I'm not an idol worshiper, I worship the image of Jesus Christ found on the pages of His incorruptible word... I don't worship an image that I carved out of Greek and Hebrew words that I don't understand.

Yep. you worship a translation. and the people who translated it.
You put them equal with the ones who originally wrote the words. Your no better than the catholics who say worship their pope and priests,, who are the only ones who can interpret.
 
διυλίζοντες

from

diulizó: to strain thoroughly, strain out
Original Word: διϋλίζω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: diulizó
Phonetic Spelling: (dee-oo-lid'-zo)
Short Definition: I strain, put through a sieve
Definition: I strain, put through a sieve.


i don't "know" Greek but i know how to look things up.
"to strain at" is παραμόρφωση -- looks like completely different word to me. what do you think? which is more important, to agree with what Matthew wrote or with what Erasmus wrote?


I made a mistake, the defense of "strain at" here is that they would strain (filter) the liquid "at" seeing a mere gnat in it and then proceed to swallow a camel.
 
using the KJV does not make one an idolator. I used it for years.. I updated to the NKJV, and also now use the NASB and other versions depending on what I am reading (some are better than other is certain areas)

what makes one an idolator is when you just others for using other bibles, saying they are not inspired or will lead you astray. God gave only one english bible (even though the english is outdated, and God for some reason did not update it.. )
 

Yep. you worship a translation. and the people who translated it.
You put them equal with the ones who originally wrote the words. Your no better than the catholics who say worship their pope and priests,, who are the only ones who can interpret.

An idol is an image carved out something that comes from God, whether it be wood, stone or words. Any translation that is not inspired by God is by definition an idol because it was carved out by men.
 
The term' King James Bible believer' makes me a little uncomfortable It poses the question as to whether reading other versions makes one an unbeliever. Are people who read the original Hebrew and Greek Bible less believers than King James readers? I sometimes read the KJV. Am I more of a believer when I do so?

The term "King James Bible believer" simply means that one believes the King James Bible, those who believe that there are mistakes in every Bible on earth don't believe 100% in any Bible. It specifically refers to belief in the Bible and not to ones overall faith as a Christian, though not believing the Bible 100% is likely to have a significant impact on ones faith.
 
An idol is an image carved out something that comes from God, whether it be wood, stone or words. Any translation that is not inspired by God is by definition an idol because it was carved out by men.

No, an idol is anything that you put in the place of God, that includes the Bible, regardless of what translation it is. You are engaged in bibliolatry, which is to make the Bible into a physical idol.
 
An idol is an image carved out something that comes from God, whether it be wood, stone or words. Any translation that is not inspired by God is by definition an idol because it was carved out by men.

No. An idol is what you make of it..and how you hold it up and worship it..

And if what you said is true, then all translations and all greek and hebrew manuscripts we have in existance today are idols. Now you just made things worse.

 
The term "King James Bible believer" simply means that one believes the King James Bible, those who believe that there are mistakes in every Bible on earth don't believe 100% in any Bible. It specifically refers to belief in the Bible and not to ones overall faith as a Christian, though not believing the Bible 100% is likely to have a significant impact on ones faith.

yep. thats why we put faiht in God. not some book.. We read the book, But don;t blindly read assuming everything is right..

even the "COPIES" of the letters paul wrote to be given to all the churches were not inspired. Only the words paul wrote wer inspired.
 
Jesus Christ is not bound up in the pages of a book. And Christians do not worship an image of Him contained in the pages of a book, we worship Him. You have made eternally-gratefull's point for him.
So where does your idea of who Jesus is come from?
 
So where does your idea of who Jesus is come from?

The Bible doesn't point me to an "idea" of who Jesus is, it points me to Him. I do not worship an "idea", I worship the living risen Christ, of whom the Bible testifies.
 
So where does your idea of who Jesus is come from?

The Holy spirit, And I read about him every day in my NASB or NKJV Bible.. but without the HS to guide me, they would just be words. ..
 
yep. thats why we put faiht in God. not some book.. We read the book, But don;t blindly read assuming everything is right..

even the "COPIES" of the letters paul wrote to be given to all the churches were not inspired. Only the words paul wrote wer inspired.
I see, so then I guess the Bible is not your final authority, it's just "some book". If you really think that you have a mighty low view of God's word.