The Sinful Charge of Idolatry Against King James Bible Believers

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I see, so then I guess the Bible is not your final authority, it's just "some book". If you really think that you have a mighty low view of God's word.

No, I just do not take one "interpretation" as flawless. I Do what Paul said, and test each word to make sure it is from God.. Meaning I test using all resources I have..

we are talking about an interpretation. using and outdated language, in the worse language known to mankind lest you forget. (we have one word to interpret four different greek words (love for agape, phileo, eros. and I can not off the top of my head remember the forth one) that alone should tell you there is a major problem, no matter what english bible you use.
 
you know how they say about wit, "it's not funny when i have to explain it" ?

what if someone drank 20 gallons of water and only produced a dribble?
 
Well, so far no one has accused me of idolatry.<---Disappointed???:rolleyes: I wonder if anyone can make the case that I am an idolater for the position I hold. Personally I think I have adequately proved that I or those that believe like me are not.

From what I can see you're the only one talking about being an idolater. You set yourself up pre-emptively as one being accused of it even though nobody here appears to have done that. Then when nobody goes into calling you an idolater you start making requests for people to make a case for it even though they haven't accused you of it.

Do you WANT someone to call you an idolater so you can be persecuted and walk around with your nose out of joint.

For the sake of clarity here, I've known of one person that called another person an idolater over the King James issue. And in that case the King James guy had already called the other guy a pagan. Both were wrong but the King James guy started the name calling, and yes...got his nose all out of joint when someone treated him the same way.

It's really not an issue among regular, everyday Christians. It's an issue for those who need an ax to grind.
 
No, I just do not take one "interpretation" as flawless. I Do what Paul said, and test each word to make sure it is from God.. Meaning I test using all resources I have..

So then what resource do you use to test the "interpretation". It seems to me your suggesting using a none biblical source to check to see whether the Bible is true or not, that would make that source your final authority and not the Bible itself.

we are talking about an interpretation. using and outdated language, in the worse language known to mankind lest you forget. (we have one word to interpret four different greek words (love for agape, phileo, eros. and I can not off the top of my head remember the forth one) that alone should tell you there is a major problem, no matter what english bible you use.

King James language is no outdated the language, you can find most of the words of the King James Bible in modern dictionaries. Furthermore the continued existence and use of the King James Bible by modern English readers proves that it is not outdated language. The King James Bible uses fewer words than modern Bibles and creates more comparable connections so that one who regularly reads it will find it easier to "connect the dots" so to speak, and learn the language of the Bible much more easily than when they use modern versions.
 
From what I can see you're the only one talking about being an idolater. You set yourself up pre-emptively as one being accused of it even though nobody here appears to have done that. Then when nobody goes into calling you an idolater you start making requests for people to make a case for it even though they haven't accused you of it.

Do you WANT someone to call you an idolater so you can be persecuted and walk around with your nose out of joint.

For the sake of clarity here, I've known of one person that called another person an idolater over the King James issue. And in that case the King James guy had already called the other guy a pagan. Both were wrong but the King James guy started the name calling, and yes...got his nose all out of joint when someone treated him the same way.

It's really not an issue among regular, everyday Christians. It's an issue for those who need an ax to grind.

King James Bible believers are frequently accused of being idolaters, I'm simply addressing the issue. I'm glad you see that it's wrong to call King James Bible believers idolaters :)
 
King James Bible believers are frequently accused of being idolaters,<<--HARDLY!! I'm simply addressing the issue. I'm glad you see that it's wrong to call King James Bible believers idolaters :)

I read King James myself...and people know it. Nobody has ever called me an idolater.

And you're obviously trying to make this into an issue.

Out of all the responses you got; in a thread where you knowingly opened yourself up to the accusation of idolatry and then followed up with a request to show that your an idolater......how many people actually called you an idolater?
 

sure, it makes sense, but this seems like you're diverting the conversation from what the actual original text says.

but if this is what you'd rather talk about than the pretty obvious fact that "strain at" is not in any of the existing Greek manuscripts and is an altogether different word than "strain out" -- i might point out that the Pharisees in no way "strained at" giving tithes -- quite the opposite, they loved to make a great show of doing it:

Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
(Matthew 6:2)

The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
(Luke 18:11-12)
​

we may be able to fiddle around with interpretation until it sounds good to us, but nevertheless, accurate rendition from one language to another isn't accomplished by private interpretation, but by literal translation, and "strain at" literally isn't in the text.

this is what i was talking about in my post yesterday -- some "KJB believers" would rather talk around the obvious mis-translation than honor what the actual scripture says. wouldn't you rather have an accurate translation than have to go through a bunch of hoops to justify a mistake?
What I get out out of this is ,when you strain something you separate it. Whether with a strainer or you separate with your eye, or in your deeds. and therefore to worry about a gnat,and have a camel's head flopping out of the jar a person is missing the big picture. Notice he said not to leave the other undone.
 
I read King James myself...and people know it. Nobody has ever called me an idolater.

They don't accuse people who read the King James Bible of idolatry they accuse people who actually believe all the words written on the pages of the KJV of idolatry.

And you're obviously trying to make this into an issue.

Out of all the responses you got; in a thread where you knowingly opened yourself up to the accusation of idolatry and then followed up with a request to show that your an idolater......how many people actually called you an idolater?

No the issue already exists, I didn't invent the notion the KJB believers are idolaters, just because people here have been careful not to break the ninth commandment doesn't mean, it doesn't happen, it didn't take me long to do an internet search to find numerous sites accusing King James Bible believers as being idolaters.
 
They don't accuse people who read the King James Bible of idolatry they accuse people who actually believe all the words written on the pages of the KJV of idolatry.

No the issue already exists, I didn't invent the notion the KJB believers are idolaters, just because people here have been careful not to break the ninth commandment doesn't mean, it doesn't happen, it didn't take me long to do an internet search to find numerous sites accusing King James Bible believers as being idolaters.


Is the KJV the only translation that is inspired by God?
 
They don't accuse people who read the King James Bible of idolatry they accuse people who actually believe all the words written on the pages of the KJV of idolatry.



No the issue already exists, I didn't invent the notion the KJB believers are idolaters, just because people here have been careful not to break the ninth commandment doesn't mean, it doesn't happen, it didn't take me long to do an internet search to find numerous sites accusing King James Bible believers as being idolaters <<<Which shows your obviously looking to be called an idolater.

By the way, I just did a search too and guess what, it didn't take me long to do an internet search to find numerous sites accusing Morman believers as being idolaters

How long do you think it will take to "find numerous sites" on the internet that say Catholics are idolaters?

Do you really think it's a big deal that you can find internet sites claiming someone else's religion is idolatrous?

And I'll answer the question for you since you won't answer yourself. The answer is no, you still haven't found someone here out of all those responses to call you names.

I'm sorry you can't find someone to call you an idolater.:rolleyes:
 
So then what resource do you use to test the "interpretation". It seems to me your suggesting using a none biblical source to check to see whether the Bible is true or not, that would make that source your final authority and not the Bible itself.

Nope, I use other versions, I use greek and hebrew texts. And I use itself to interpret itself..(since an inspired word can never contradict itself)

It seems your so stuck on idolizing one version, your trying to make up stuff to help you keep that belief. It is not helping your case, if anything, it makes you soumd desperate/



King James language is no outdated the language,

Go into a school, and use the word tongue, You will not get the same interpretation that they used in the 1600s'.


you can find most of the words of the King James Bible in modern dictionaries. Furthermore the continued existence and use of the King James Bible by modern English readers proves that it is not outdated language. The King James Bible uses fewer words than modern Bibles and creates more comparable connections so that one who regularly reads it will find it easier to "connect the dots" so to speak, and learn the language of the Bible much more easily than when they use modern versions.

lol, Verily verily I say unto you. Who uses that language today? We use different words. Maybe you, as a person who used it your whole life can understand it, Bugt the layman person who has never read it, can not understand it without help.

I grew up in the KJV, In fact most memory verses I still use today are of the KJV veriety (since most of the ones I learned as a kid was of the KJV variety)

Yet when my mom passed away, I took her KJV as a moment of her, I tried to read it, and parts I read I could not even understand, because it had been decades since I used it.

Again, your sounding desperate. it does not serve you very well.


in fact, you ignored my example (4 words with totally different interpretations and meaning used for the word love, in greek, all translated with one word, so how can we properly interpret the word and get the true meaning apart from the greek text YOU CANT
 
King James Bible believers are frequently accused of being idolaters, I'm simply addressing the issue. I'm glad you see that it's wrong to call King James Bible believers idolaters :)

Nope thats not true.

Fanitics, like yourself and KJV are the ones called idoloaters. I know many who use that version, who are not idolaters.. because they do not worship a version. They freely and willingly use others along with it, they just grew up with it, it is what they know so they use it.

THATS FINE..
 
Is the KJV the only translation that is inspired by God?

KJB believers only believe the King James Bible is inspired by God in so much that it is an accurate translation of the originals. The King James Bible or the translators were not in and of themselves inspired by God. If any Bible in any language is qualified to be called infallible its the King James Bible since it has established itself for these past four hundred years and has been and continues to be used by true Christians since its creation. No Bible comes anywhere close to being a contender as to being the preservation of God's inspired word.
 
KJB believers only believe the King James Bible is inspired by God in so much that it is an accurate translation of the originals. The King James Bible or the translators were not in and of themselves inspired by God. If any Bible in any language is qualified to be called infallible its the King James Bible since it has established itself for these past four hundred years and has been and continues to be used by true Christians since its creation. No Bible comes anywhere close to being a contender as to being the preservation of God's inspired word.

So the KJV is the only translation inspired by God. Got it. Do you agree with KJV1611 that any translation that is not inspired by God is, by definition, an idol because it was carved out by men?
 
KJB believers only believe the King James Bible is inspired by God in so much that it is an accurate translation of the originals.

oh so you agree that Matthew 23:24 should read "strain out a gnat" ?

since the verb "strain at" is not in the Greek?

if you're concerned with accuracy of translation, i think you should agree that the KJV is not accurate in this instance.
if you're more concerned with "being a KJV believer" than you are with accuracy of translation however . . .
 
oh so you agree that Matthew 23:24 should read "strain out a gnat" ?

since the verb "strain at" is not in the Greek?

if you're concerned with accuracy of translation, i think you should agree that the KJV is not accurate in this instance.
if you're more concerned with "being a KJV believer" than you are with accuracy of translation however . . .
Maybe camels are tasty and people want to swallow them...
I'd suggest cutting into bite sized pieces and deep frying, first ;)