The Singles Forum Hosts A Summer Cookout! What Would YOU Like to See/Do There?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hey Everyone,

It's been a while since we've tried a thread like this, so let's see what happens. :)

Here in the USA, the 4th of July is coming up, and most people will be having cookouts with their friends and family. I thought it might be fun to envision the Singles Forum as having a cookout of their own, with members from all over the world gathered together.

The singles are of course allowed to bring a "Plus One" (otherwise known as a, gasp, date,) or just a friend or family member. Married Friends of the Single Forum are invited too (ask your spouse on a date and bring them along!)

Back when I was growing up in a Lutheran church, potlucks were very common, and we were always asked to "Bring a dessert and a dish to pass."

So... If the Singles Forum was having a cookout/potluck, like this:

* What dessert and dish to pass would you bring to share? What foods would you hope to see there that you wish someone else would bring?

* Who would be manning (or woman-ing) the grill? (Yes, we are looking for volunteers. Tell us about your qualifications in your post -- "My family always puts me on the grill because..." etc.)

* (By the way... How do you like your steak? Rare, medium, or well?) We all know THIS is the question that's going to ignite some controversy!! :p

* What games and activities would you like to play? (Card games, board games, croquet, badminton, other outdoor sports -- which ones? "Top Gun" - style volleyball?? Just Kidding!)

And now, for THE most important question of them all:

* Who would YOU want to see put in the dunk tank? :D

This is meant to be a friendly, uh, suggestion. :) Choose someone you like or are friends with and tell us why you think they deserve A Dunkin' (like a donut) in The Tank! :D

(I would, of course, have to choose Lynx. Just because he always gives me so much doggone trouble in the threads!) :geek:

I know cats hate water, but everyone needs a full bath at some point, am I right? :D

Ok, now it's your turn!

Tell us about what YOU would like to eat and do at the official Singles Forums Summer Cookout. :giggle::coffee::LOL:

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
huh I never thought about it till now but surely...Lynx is not prowling around us UNbaptised?!

Im a going to have to get back to you on the food. Ive just been reading a terrible book on US school lunches called Lunch Wars by Angry Moms.

I always wondered why, in the US, movies always showed school children throwing food in a food fight. Is the food really that bad? Do children really do that in the US?

I think teachers would be horrified if that was done here in nz.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Yeah, no, leave me out of the dunk tank. I would tear it apart to make sure it never happens again.

I would bring deviled eggs and a good homemade chocolate pie. Down here in the South we know how to make them. Maybe a buttermilk custard pie too, if you're lucky.

It had better be Rodney on the grill. Just saying.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
I reserve the right to do the grilling.

I know how to set it up for a crowd of 100+ people or more. I've done crowds of 400+.

But I'll bring sausages I made for grilling (beef, chicken, and pork kielbasa)....and ice marinaded chicken....maybe some chops, burgers and just regular hot dogs too.

Maybe this time I'll get the grill on the casings right and none of the sausages will explode. (I had a few that did last year with the cookout for 100....too much heat for them and they pop....but it had been a while since I had done it last....I'm good now)
It will take a couple of hours to get it all done....and then it's time to play. Fishing and water balloon fights with squirt guns.
The only loser is the one who doesn't get wet in the way I play.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I have known many men who insist on commanding the grill, but I never have understood it. Will your chest hair fall out if you let someone else do the grilling?

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
I have known many men who insist on commanding the grill, but I never have understood it. Will your chest hair fall out if you let someone else do the grilling?
Nope...
But I will become a wallflower and not talk to anyone.

Live4Him3

Jesus is Lord
May 19, 2022
* Who would YOU want to see put in the dunk tank? :D
Rriiiinnnnngggggggg!

Rriiiinnnnngggggggg!

Store rep: Thank you for calling Dick's Sporting Goods. How may I help you?

Me: Hi. I was wondering if you have any men's wet suits in stock? Perhaps in a size large?

Store rep: Is the wet suit for you, sir?

Me: Umm...err...uhh...no. I'm just asking for a friend...

RodB651

Feb 11, 2021
If there is grilling, gimme burgers or medium steak.

Sides of potato salad, baked beans, and deviled eggs.

A dunk tank?.. I don't know, I guess whoever volunteered for that. A game of badminton would be fun, but I don't run anymore. You'll have to hit the birdie to me cause I ain't chasing it.
Some horseshoes might be fun or yard darts.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I mentioned the dunk tank because I think we had one at one of the old Lutheran potlucks...

I think I can remember seeing one of our pastors get dunked -- I was just a kid.

But I also remember always thinking that pastor was super cool because he was such a good sport.

That's also why I asked for people to suggest friends for it.

It's always cool to see another side of someone. 😁☔🏖️

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
It had better be Rodney on the grill. Just saying.

I'm thinking a big portion of the entertainment is going to be Grill Master Vs. Grill Master: the Ultimate Cook Off edition.

Of course, I'm going to have to try a couple (or 5 or 6 samples) from each chef in order to check out their skills.

T

TheIndianGirl

I usually get both hamburger and hotdog, maybe a chicken sandwich. I basically like any of the cookout foods except the pasta salads (generally not a fan of pasta salads).

I usually volunteer to bring store bought items like condiments, utensils, soda, chips, paper towels, fruit, etc.

The only cookouts I've been to are church cookouts, that I can think of. Otherwise everything like hambugers or hotdogs etc. have been stovetop for these holidays. Or, we just order pizza.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I'm thinking a big portion of the entertainment is going to be Grill Master Vs. Grill Master: the Ultimate Cook Off edition.

Of course, I'm going to have to try a couple (or 5 or 6 samples) from each chef in order to check out their skills.
Why can I not give this a green check mark more than once?

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Why can I not give this a green check mark more than once?
See....I'm up for that. Everyone ends up a winner.
And Rodney and I can have a very well received water fight afterwards that will help us cool down.

I'm not seeing a downside to this.
I am nice with other chefs and cooks. I don't feel the need to disparage others to elevate myself. I grew up after 13. My food stands as it is. Whether it's a colossal failure or success...I'll own it.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
hmm it seems water fights are allowed but food fights are not.
They must only happen in the more feral parts of the US.

But I will bring a cream pie just in case.

RodB651

Feb 11, 2021

Two grills going at the same time is a good idea.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
But I will bring a cream pie just in case.
Yes, because everything on TV is culturally accurate and everyone knows the only purpose of a cream pie is to launch it at someone's face. 🤣

It's the only thing we Americans know to do with one! 😬

I hope you know I'm totally kidding.

Then again... It depends on what flavor of cream pie. 🤔🍰🧁

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Yes, because everything on TV is culturally accurate and everyone knows the only purpose of a cream pie is to launch it at someone's face. 🤣

It's the only thing we Americans know to do with one! 😬

I hope you know I'm totally kidding.

Then again... It depends on what flavor of cream pie. 🤔🍰🧁
well, we have pavlova in nz and would be horrfied if anyone wasted it by throwing it in someones face.

The flavour is from the creams, eggs meringue and any fruit topping you choose (kiwifruit, strawberries or passionfruit most common)

but the cream pie, as I heard in the US is just 100% cream. To me it looks like shaving cream but I have seen (from genuine US TV commercials, they never lie!) that you can get cream in a aerosol can called miracle whip.

I just wondered why bother pretending with the throwing pie when you could just bring the can and spray it in peoples faces?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
though on further investigation, it seems the miracle whip isnt so miraculous after all. Google tells me that its reddi whip, and miracle whip is a type of mayo. huh

so this dunkin thing...does it work ? I thought Lutherans just sprinkled and only Baptists dunked people

And that is the cause if all the enmity between those two denominations!
:ROFL:

J

joecoten

Off the top of my head, I think I would take great pleasure in dunking Magenta! Yeah, that would put a smile on my face! lol
I'd like a grilled steak sandwich with fried onions and ketchup! Of course, I'd bring my guitar and lead us in praising the Lord!
Then I'd go with the kids to the lake and help them ties knots, bait hooks and release fish! Then this old guy would find a shady spot to stretch out on and catch a few winks.