The Stone which the builders rejected

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Isaiah 28:16-18

[SUP]16 [/SUP]Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.

[SUP]17 [/SUP]Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet: and the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place.

[SUP]18 [/SUP]And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand;(great mountain made low) when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it."


Zechariah 4:9-10

[SUP]9 [/SUP]The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house; his hands shall also finish it; and thou shalt know that the Lord of hosts hath sent me unto you.

[SUP]10 [/SUP]For who hath despised the day of small things? for they shall rejoice, and shall see the plummet in the hand of Zerubbabel with those seven; they are the eyes of the Lord, which run to and fro through the whole earth."

WE HAVE A MATCH.......and Again, what seven eyes?----->>>>>

Zechariah 3:8-9 “Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou, and thy fellows that sit before thee: for they are men wondered at: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the Branch. [SUP]9 [/SUP]For behold the stone that I have laid before Joshua; upon one stone shall be seven eyes: behold, I will engrave the graving thereof, saith the Lord of hosts, and I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day."

Who removes sin and is referred to as the Stone/Rock who has 7 eyes=the seven Spirits of God upon that one Stone--->>>

Revelation 5:6
And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth."

Again
the scriptures confirm this Truth over and over again. :)

 
I don't think so, not me personally.
I think it refers back to the previous verses in Chapter three, the stone laid before Joshua, the stone with seven eyes. That is the Spirit of God, in my view, and it strangely and mysteriously ties into the lampstand with 7 bowls that the angel explains is the Spirit of God, the Lamb of Revelation that looked as if He had been slain who had seven eyes, and many other verses. It is all so wonderful and although I want to understand it all at once, He gives me understanding and the connections just little by little as I get to know Him more and more.
Why would it jump back to chapter 3 instead of back to the mountain in the same sentence... this is what I don't understand. My opinion is that you have made up in your mind that the stone is Jesus rather than letting the sentence itself define what the stone is. I don't mean this in a negative way. :)
 
KJV, I have learned so much with you this morning! It has really blessed me to learn so much with you. I learned that one of the definitions of that Hebrew word really CAN be grave stone. Even though it isn't the best literal translation in my opinion, there really IS a spiritual tone in which it oddly can be seen as applying somehow to this mysterious stone who I believe is a picture of my Lord! And I was helped by those verses given by ET just now and by all his contributions earlier. I could go on and on about all I have learned with you guys and how much the Spirit began to tie things together and verses together from varied places in scripture. I'll study and learn with you both ANY day! It was pleasant to go on this treasure hunt with you both and with the Spirit guiding us instead of the awful debating and arrogance and nastiness that sometimes goes on in these threads.
It is the glory of God to conceal things and our happiness and privilege and great joy to seek and uncover and search them out! (my paraphrase).
 
Why would it jump back to chapter 3 instead of back to the mountain in the same sentence... this is what I don't understand. My opinion is that you have made up in your mind that the stone is Jesus rather than letting the sentence itself define what the stone is. I don't mean this in a negative way. :)

I don't know, my understanding is just sort of like...the mountain isn't too good. It's like God is saying, who do you think you are, mountain? The mountain is leveled by the stone. (And He will level all the mountains and lofty hills said Isaiah). And when the stone is brought forth/seen by men, they cry out grace! grace! Let the grace of God be to it! And He grew in grace with both God and men and then God poured out the Spirit of grace on Him with out measure. He poured out His mighty Spirit of grace and the oil of gladness on Him more than on any other. This cry of grace! grace! echo's hosanna! to me. And the man who wrote that song, I think he understood some of the Spirit when he said how precious (grace! grace! amazing grace!) did that grace appear the hour I first believed. I just somehow see it all together in places. Not by might of men but by My Spirit - who do you think you are mountain? This stone brought not by the work or might of men but by My Spirit will level you and make the rocky places smooth and prepare the way for His coming. I just...I don't know, I just see it and I sense it and I feel it and...but then, I don't and am not able to drastically and starkly separate and delineate (at least not fully, the three persons of the Trinity. In a sense, they are all God to me. So if I had to starkly define if the stone is the Holy Spirit or is Jesus, I can't quite do it because they are all God to me, the Spirit of God...
 
So if I had to starkly define if the stone is the Holy Spirit or is Jesus, I can't quite do it because they are all God to me, the Spirit of God...

The Stone/Rock is Christ= the Living Word of God. From the OP--->>>>

The Word of God is that Rock.....

1 Corinthians 10:4 “And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.”

2 Samuel 22:3
The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence.


2 Samuel 22:47
The Lord liveth; and blessed be my rock; and exalted be the God of the rock of my salvation.

David by the Spirit called God's Word Lord when referring to Christ

Matthew 22:42-45

[SUP]42 [/SUP]Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The son of David.

[SUP]43 [/SUP]He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying,

[SUP]44 [/SUP]The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?

[SUP]45 [/SUP]If David then call him Lord, how is he his son?
 
Isaiah 28:16-18

[SUP]16 [/SUP]Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.

[SUP]17 [/SUP]Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet: and the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place.

[SUP]18 [/SUP]And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand;(great mountain made low) when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it."


Zechariah 4:9-10

[SUP]9 [/SUP]The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house; his hands shall also finish it; and thou shalt know that the Lord of hosts hath sent me unto you.

[SUP]10 [/SUP]For who hath despised the day of small things? for they shall rejoice, and shall see the plummet in the hand of Zerubbabel with those seven; they are the eyes of the Lord, which run to and fro through the whole earth."

WE HAVE A MATCH.......and Again, what seven eyes?----->>>>>

Zechariah 3:8-9 “Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou, and thy fellows that sit before thee: for they are men wondered at: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the Branch. [SUP]9 [/SUP]For behold the stone that I have laid before Joshua; upon one stone shall be seven eyes: behold, I will engrave the graving thereof, saith the Lord of hosts, and I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day."

Who removes sin and is referred to as the Stone/Rock who has 7 eyes=the seven Spirits of God upon that one Stone--->>>

Revelation 5:6
And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth."

Again
the scriptures confirm this Truth over and over again. :)


I actually tried to like THIS one 5 times, but it wouldn't let me...
 
The Stone/Rock is Christ= the Living Word of God. From the OP--->>>>



2 Samuel 22:3
The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence.


2 Samuel 22:47
The Lord liveth; and blessed be my rock; and exalted be the God of the rock of my salvation.

David by the Spirit called God's Word Lord when referring to Christ

Matthew 22:42-45

[SUP]42 [/SUP]Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The son of David.

[SUP]43 [/SUP]He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying,

[SUP]44 [/SUP]The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?

[SUP]45 [/SUP]If David then call him Lord, how is he his son?

hmmm

43“Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit. 44Anyone who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; anyone on whom it falls will be crushed.”i
 
KJV, I have learned so much with you this morning! It has really blessed me to learn so much with you. I learned that one of the definitions of that Hebrew word really CAN be grave stone. Even though it isn't the best literal translation in my opinion, there really IS a spiritual tone in which it oddly can be seen as applying somehow to this mysterious stone who I believe is a picture of my Lord! And I was helped by those verses given by ET just now and by all his contributions earlier. I could go on and on about all I have learned with you guys and how much the Spirit began to tie things together and verses together from varied places in scripture. I'll study and learn with you both ANY day! It was pleasant to go on this treasure hunt with you both and with the Spirit guiding us instead of the awful debating and arrogance and nastiness that sometimes goes on in these threads.
It is the glory of God to conceal things and our happiness and privilege and great joy to seek and uncover and search them out! (my paraphrase).

It is actually ok to disagree and still learn from each other.... without getting mad. :)
 
Daniel 2:34 “Thou sawest till that a stone was cut out without hands, which smote the image upon his feet that were of iron and clay, and brake them to pieces.”



Daniel 2:45 “Forasmuch as thou sawest that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it brake in pieces the iron, the brass, the clay, the silver, and the gold; the great God hath made known to the king what shall come to pass hereafter: and the dream is certain, and the interpretation thereof sure.”
 
Daniel 2:34 “Thou sawest till that a stone was cut out without hands, which smote the image upon his feet that were of iron and clay, and brake them to pieces.”



Daniel 2:45 “Forasmuch as thou sawest that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it brake in pieces the iron, the brass, the clay, the silver, and the gold; the great God hath made known to the king what shall come to pass hereafter: and the dream is certain, and the interpretation thereof sure.”

Those verses are not headstones. You're mixing metaphors.
 
Daniel 2:34 “Thou sawest till that a stone was cut out without hands, which smote the image upon his feet that were of iron and clay, and brake them to pieces.”



Daniel 2:45 “Forasmuch as thou sawest that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it brake in pieces the iron, the brass, the clay, the silver, and the gold; the great God hath made known to the king what shall come to pass hereafter: and the dream is certain, and the interpretation thereof sure.”

Revelation 19:11-15

[SUP]11 [/SUP]And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
[SUP]12 [/SUP]His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

[SUP]13 [/SUP]And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

[SUP]14 [/SUP]And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

[SUP]15 [/SUP]And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God."
 
Those verses are not headstones. You're mixing metaphors.

That is the same stone! haha!! I think that's why he brought the verses up. That stone is also the spiritual rock that followed Israel around and that they drank from. We all drink from the same spiritual rock, which is Christ. We must eat His flesh and drink His blood. The blood and the water poured from His side when He was pierced just as the water flowed from the rock that Moses struck to give water to Israel in the desert. It happened literally but the word is also Spirit because God is Spirit and that rock spoke of Christ who was to come, who some of them saw but dimly and at a great distance off in the future. It just gets more and more amazing. All the law and the prophets, which is the entire OT, Jesus said it all spoke of Him!
 
That is the same stone! haha!! I think that's why he brought the versoes up. That stone is also the spiritual rock that followed Israel around and that they drank from. We all drink from the same spiritual rock, which is Christ. We must eat His flesh and drink His blood. The blood and the water poured from His side when He was pierced just as the water flowed from the rock that Moses struck to give water to Israel in the desert. It happened literally but the word is also Spirit because God is Spirit and that rock spoke of Christ who was to come, who some of them saw but dimly and at a great distance off in the future. It just gets more and more amazing. All the law and the prophets, which is the entire OT, Jesus said it all spoke of Him!

Who does Zerubbabel represent?
Edit: Zerubbabel made the mountain a plain.
 
Last edited:
Those verses are not headstones. You're mixing metaphors.

Nope, same stone (singular) not headstones (plural) as you are trying to suggest in the above.

Again the same singular Stone (Christ) has also became the singular head stone of the corner, or foundation stone(singular) on which the Church is built, with Christ being the Head=the beginning

Psalm 118:22
The stone (singular)which the builders refused is become the head stone (singular)of the corner. :)
 
Nope, same stone (singular) not headstones (plural) as you are trying to suggest in the above.

Again the same singular Stone (Christ) has also became the singular head stone of the corner, or foundation stone(singular) on which the Church is built, with Christ being the Head=the beginning

Psalm 118:22
The stone (singular)which the builders refused is become the head stone (singular)of the corner. :)

If the headstone is Christ who is Zerubbabel?
 
If the headstone is Christ who is Zerubbabel?

Zerubbabel was the governor of Judah, who is symbolic of the righteous governor Jesus Christ.

Haggai 2:21-23

[SUP]21 [/SUP]Speak to Zerubbabel, governor of Judah, saying, I will shake the heavens and the earth;

[SUP]22 [/SUP]And I will overthrow the throne of kingdoms, and I will destroy the strength of the kingdoms of the heathen; and I will overthrow the chariots, and those that ride in them; and the horses and their riders shall come down, every one by the sword of his brother.
[SUP]23 [/SUP]In that day, saith the Lord of hosts, will I take thee, O Zerubbabel, my servant, the son of Shealtiel, saith the Lord, and will make thee as a signet: for I have chosen thee, saith the Lord of hosts."


Isaiah 9:6
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."

The Lord is always using signs, types and shadows to speak and prophesy of spiritual things to come. The Lord said He would use his saints, and even Jesus as a sign to the people.

Isaiah 8:18

Behold, I and the children whom the Lord hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the Lord of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion.
 
Zerubbabel was the governor of Judah, who is symbolic of the righteous governor Jesus Christ.

Haggai 2:21-23

[SUP]21 [/SUP]Speak to Zerubbabel, governor of Judah, saying, I will shake the heavens and the earth;

[SUP]22 [/SUP]And I will overthrow the throne of kingdoms, and I will destroy the strength of the kingdoms of the heathen; and I will overthrow the chariots, and those that ride in them; and the horses and their riders shall come down, every one by the sword of his brother.
[SUP]23 [/SUP]In that day, saith the Lord of hosts, will I take thee, O Zerubbabel, my servant, the son of Shealtiel, saith the Lord, and will make thee as a signet: for I have chosen thee, saith the Lord of hosts."


Isaiah 9:6
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."

The Lord is always using signs, types and shadows to speak and prophesy of spiritual things to come. The Lord said He would use his saints, and even Jesus as a sign to the people.

Isaiah 8:18

Behold, I and the children whom the Lord hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the Lord of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion.

So Zerubbabel (the righteousness of Christ) is bringing forth the headstone (Christ) and the righteousness of Christ is shouting give grace to Christ.

Is that what you're saying?
 
So Zerubbabel (the righteousness of Christ) is bringing forth the headstone (Christ) and the righteousness of Christ is shouting give grace to Christ.

Is that what you're saying?

Zerubbabel is like the symbolism of the righteous servant the Branch I showed in the OP who brings forth the words of God, just as Jesus Christ (The Word of God) is also called His servant the Branch who speaks the words of God and also builds the house of God. God's Word is the Stone that brings forth the Living waters, or brings forth the words of Life.

Just as we are told by Jesus that obeying his words and sayings is like building our houses upon a rock.

Matthew 7:24-25

[SUP]24 [/SUP]Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

[SUP]25 [/SUP]And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.