The Tool Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Miri

Hi we had a tool thread on the original site. Not sure if it’s gone.

But anyway just wanted to say thank you for the advice given.

I got myself some cordless battery hedge cutters. Mac something or other.

They are great for giving the hedge a light trim and are very light and quick to use,
the battery charges up in less then an hour.

So I can just pop out if a have a spare 15 mins and pretty much do half the garden in that
time without messing around with reels of cable, plugs and circuit breakers.

I will stick with the electric ones I think, for when the hedge is overgrown and needs a good
cut back. That kind of job needs full on power. lol

But the cordless ones are great for keeping the hedge in shape once I’ve tamed it
into submission!

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Just wait until you enter the world of lithium ion 1/4 inch impact drivers.

M

Miri

Ohh I don’t mind playing with drills either. 🙂

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Personally I prefer the two-stroke petrol engine garden equipment
I always buy Stihl
(but I bought a Ryobi garden vacuum/blower because it was a very good price -only $299)

So I have a Stihl brushcutter with lots of various attachments from nylon cord to metal blades.
And I have a Stihl chainsaw for cutting, felling and pruning the many trees and shrubs on my block.
The neighbours have a four-stroke petrol log-splitter that we borrow to split up our tree trunk sections
into smaller pieces for the wood fire heater.

Petrol is best as it lasts a lot longer; and on a big block you can move around the entire area and get stuck into
all the work that needs to be done.

M

Miri

Personally I prefer the two-stroke petrol engine garden equipment
I always buy Stihl
(but I bought a Ryobi garden vacuum/blower because it was a very good price -only $299)

So I have a Stihl brushcutter with lots of various attachments from nylon cord to metal blades.
And I have a Stihl chainsaw for cutting, felling and pruning the many trees and shrubs on my block.
The neighbours have a four-stroke petrol log-splitter that we borrow to split up our tree trunk sections
into smaller pieces for the wood fire heater.

Petrol is best as it lasts a lot longer; and on a big block you can move around the entire area and get stuck into
all the work that needs to be done.

A few people mentioned petrol/gas but I’m just a bit wary of them.
Don’t want to blow myself up! Lol

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I thought we started the tool forum so the women wouldn't find us????
Ha, just kidding, but the reference to the brand as " Mac something or other" was a tip off, a man would know what brand!

M

Miri

I thought we started the tool forum so the women wouldn't find us????
Ha, just kidding, but the reference to the brand as " Mac something or other" was a tip off, a man would know what brand!

That’s what I got a Mac Alister. I’d not heard of that brand before, it does the
job nicely though. 🙂

As a woman I don’t mind getting stuck in and getting my hands dirty.
Besides it’s easy to dig your nails into a bar of soap to get them clean again!
A nail file and they are as good as new again. Ha ha

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Log splitters are fun

In my day, a good maul and a wedge were all we needed, I lived with wood heat for 7 years, and I did most of the chopping. It’s all about using the axe as a fulcrum, not brute strength!

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
A few people mentioned petrol/gas but I’m just a bit wary of them.
Don’t want to blow myself up! Lol
We have never had anything but gas mowers and chain saws. I think my dad had a push mower for years, which was a revolving cutter, which worked by pushing it! He liked the weekend work out, cutting the lawn. Then we moved to a place that was 1/2 acre, and he bought a ride-on mower.

We always had a cheap, old gas mower that was given to us by a neighbour. My husband took a course on rebuilding small motors, and rebuilt it. But when we moved to an acre lot, all grass, he bought a ride on mower, too. Then he got a deal from a neighbour on a ride on mower with a bigger deck, so he had 2! I never used it, we sold them both when we moved here, because there isn’t a lot of grass.

They simple are are not dangerous, if you are careful!

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I am not tool inclined, but I was a jeweller for 7 years, and I became very good at using all kinds of tools.

In 1985, I needed a new flute, and one was on sale for a steal. We had no money, so I sold most of my jewelry equipment, including my acetylene torch! I miss that torch!

I kept a few tools back that are useful around the house. My husband used to steal them, because my tools were organized and his weren’t, so I hid them. He finally cleaned up his multiple tool boxes, shelves and cupboards. And took a few things to the basement. He really needs a workshop! He has too many tools!

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I kept a few tools back that are useful around the house. My husband used to steal them, because my tools were organized and his weren’t, so I hid them. He finally cleaned up his multiple tool boxes, shelves and cupboards. And took a few things to the basement. He really needs a workshop! He has too many tools!
Ain't no such thing in a man's world.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
I have used manual wood splitters for years.
But once you upgrade to a petrol motor driven toy - well you never look back.

This is our neighbour's log splitter at work in our front yard. That is my son operating
the machine.