The Tool Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Really nice John Deere, do you leave the bucket on when you mow? Buckets seem to put more stress on the front end.

M

Miri

Hey how about this way of peeling an apple!

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
Hi we had a tool thread on the original site. Not sure if it’s gone.

But anyway just wanted to say thank you for the advice given.

I got myself some cordless battery hedge cutters. Mac something or other.

They are great for giving the hedge a light trim and are very light and quick to use,
the battery charges up in less then an hour.

So I can just pop out if a have a spare 15 mins and pretty much do half the garden in that
time without messing around with reels of cable, plugs and circuit breakers.

I will stick with the electric ones I think, for when the hedge is overgrown and needs a good
cut back. That kind of job needs full on power. lol

But the cordless ones are great for keeping the hedge in shape once I’ve tamed it
into submission!
I cant say that I'm keen on cordless tools since I bought an electric drill and discovered it took 24 hours to recharge!

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
thats a bunch, maybe way back then, they are pretty neet now, Li-ion batteries have made a difference.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I cant say that I'm keen on cordless tools since I bought an electric drill and discovered it took 24 hours to recharge!
:eek::eek::eek:

I've never had a cordless tool that took more than an hour or so for the batteries to recharge even back in the days of NiCad batteries. With my current set, it is a rarity that I can kill one battery before the spare is completely recharged and even if I did, LI batteries are not as particular about full charge cycles.

M

Miri

The battery for the hedge trimmers charged up in just under an hour.

I once was given a rechargeable battery tooth brush for a Christmas
present (yes really - my brothers don’t have a clue, probably explains why they
are single)

That took several hours to charge and only gave 10 mins of usage.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
If you have to brush your teeth for more than 10 minutes at a time, you have bigger problems than a rechargeable battery that takes a long time to charge.

M

Miri

If you have to brush your teeth for more than 10 minutes at a time, you have bigger problems than a rechargeable battery that takes a long time to charge.
Yes like having to keep it plugged in for several hours a day. Lol

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
many consumer personal products are kept plugged in, hair curlers, blow dryers, etc.
best wishes

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
yes, i think she was tongue in cheek about the description.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
what about pole saws? Just once or twice a year so don't want to trifle with caring for a gas engine, plug in electric would be great, I think.
Any input/experience?
blessings

M

Miri

I suppose it would be handy if you have a jungle.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
I suppose it would be handy if you have a jungle.
Yes I have about an acre block. Lots of jungle.
The large Mascot slasher mower does the open spaces of grass but one needs a good brushcutter
or wippersnipper to get into all the eges and along the fencing, and around posts …

J

joefizz

An entire tool thread and not one "Tool Grunt" I shall fix this!...

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
A few people mentioned petrol/gas but I’m just a bit wary of them.
Don’t want to blow myself up! Lol
I figured maybe gasoline-powered tools were banned in the UK.
If I'd known that was an option for you, I would have strongly suggested it.
Perfectly safe as long as you remember not to light your cigarette while gassing up.
Seriously, gas-powered is the best of both worlds; cordless and full power.

M

Miri

I figured maybe gasoline-powered tools were banned in the UK.
If I'd known that was an option for you, I would have strongly suggested it.
Perfectly safe as long as you remember not to light your cigarette while gassing up.
Seriously, gas-powered is the best of both worlds; cordless and full power.

We have gas/petrol powered tools they use red petrol/diesel

That’s fuel with a bit of dye added to it. You don’t pay tax on the red stuff, it’s the
only difference. Fuel used to run a vehicle is taxed. If it’s to run machinery it’s not
so it’s cheaper.

People get caught out though putting it in their cars and get fined for tax invasion.