The "uneducated" Bible Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
These days a publican is a Politician...
Did you know that the term "publican" came to be applied to those who own pubs, not politicians? The keeper of a public house or tavern was a "publican".
publican
[ puhb-li-kuh n ]
noun
Chiefly British. a person who owns or manages a tavern; the keeper of a pub.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Did you know that the term "publican" came to be applied to those who own pubs, not politicians? The keeper of a public house or tavern was a "publican".
publican
[ puhb-li-kuh n ]
noun
Chiefly British. a person who owns or manages a tavern; the keeper of a pub.
Yeah, I knew. But that is a completely different era. :)

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
Unlike most people in church, I was not raised in a Christian home. My father was raised a strict Roman Catholic but fled the church at his first opportunity. He rarely shared his faith but did say he could not accept a god who would send someone to hell for not joining the church. He did instill in me a deep concern for those who are weaker and less fortunate. My mother was a very intelligent and well-read person and a humanist. They sent me to a local Baptist church, the church nearest to our house, but did not go themselves. In spite of all this I gave my heart to Jesus at age seven and ran from him for the next forty years. Sometime during this marathon, a very wise preacher told me that the only issue to resolve was the deity of Jesus Christ. When that is answered he said, all the other challenges would fall into place.

I was a police officer for many years and like most, saw and did things most people would avoid. There I was confronted with a choice, believe in the Risen Savior or believe in nothing at all. Through tears I chose the former. My minister friend was proven right.

I embraced the church but did not give up on my mother’s passion for knowledge. I have read most of the great Christian Classics and many of the more contemporary authors. From my father came a deep drive to help others. I found the two passions, church and the desire to help the weak did not always go well together.

In church I would instinctively reach out and approach those sitting alone, or those on the edge or were otherwise “different”. This was nearly always met with consternation. “You will be sorry if you get involved with them” or “Good luck with that” were the usual responses. The church was much better adapted to supporting other, more accomplished members. At best it would throw a few dollars at the problem and wash their hands of anything further.

It has been a struggle but I have learned to love the church, or at least love the individuals who go there. The church is an institution created by fallen man and we cannot expect it to be otherwise. I don’t expect to ever encounter Christ within those walls. But the second commission of the church, to support its members as they go into the world, is where God can be found. Not in hymns, sermons or programs but on the stink and bad breath of their fellow man.

I have learned to love what C. S. Lewis calls “The Church spread out through all time and space, rooted in eternity…” Not the building, not the denomination but the followers of Christ taking him at his word and living their lives fully committed to his will.
I really like this post.

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
Ya know there are no misfits for those who love Christ Jesus. No lesser no greater for the greater one has come and gone and will return again.
It's not by scriptural knowledge that we enter in, nor by the lime light does God show favoritism, it's not what we know but who we know that makes us what we are.
Even the first 12 had different views, but the Lord loved them all the same. It's the matter of the heart and believing the Lord at his word.
Have you ever considered that the first second you are in the presence of the Lord (die) the Bible becomes obsolete?
This is the way secular society has taught us to think, let it be not so in the kingdom.
All of us play a important role in the kingdom, don't be fooled God has purposed us all.
I'm pre trib, I fellowship at Calvary chapel as well as others mid and post tribers alike.
If some one feel like a misfit because of there lack of knowledge of the Bible or beliefs in things of non salvational issues rest assured that at the great day when we return home our eyes will be opened and all of us in some form or fashion will stand corrected then asked to take a seat at the feast.
IMO there are no small bus window likers in the kingdom of God.
By the way ......if time allows....that pre trib thing........I'll explain on the way up.😀😀😀😀😀😏😏
I'm just afraid that those that believe no trials will come to them because the believe in an early rapture, they will loose faith when their life is on the line for their faith in Jesus. It's a very dangerous teaching (pre-trib rapture) in my book, but the pastor at Calvary said, "It will be a pan tribulation, it will just pan out". This is after going back and forth with Bible verses. Calvary Chapel teaches it like a forgone conclusion in church, but when you question it, and talk to the pastor; "It will just pan out". They showed the Left Behind movie in church and etc.

Your quote, "I'll explain on the way up" is exactly what I'm talking about. It assumes your right. If that's your view great, but that is why I left Calvary Chapel. When a church starts playing movies during Bible study, that's when I leave the church. Kirk Cameron was great in Family Ties, but not in understanding end times. Just my opinion.

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
God loves us misfits. He gives us a place to call home, where we all EQUALLY belong. He designed us to be set apart, as we welcome and encourage others in His fold. YAY!!! You sound plenty savvy and educated to me. Um btw, you are a blessing, brother.

I need to go re-read your op. Did you ever find a church home? I pray you do.
Last church I went to was Seventh Day Adventist, but I left that church, because my beliefs were not well received. I was repeatedly cut off or told to be quiet in so many different ways during Bible study. I told them, I can sit home and be quiet, and listen to the best Bible teachers online. A few of them invited me back, but I said, I'm wasting my time. What is ironic is, the Bible study group has almost completely diminished since I left. They know I was good for the group, but bad for church doctrine.

I'm thinking about either going back to a Messianic fellowship or a Jewish temple. I always wanted to goto a Karaite Jewish temple, because they really search the scriptures. Not currently going to any formal place of worship currently. I was lucky though, last week, they had a church service outside at a park and I just happened to be there.

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
Hello kinda, :love:

This is the video and testimony you've been looking for.....

I love this guy's message - Nathan Wheeler. He has a facebook site called Yeshua Official. He's been through all the different religions - new age, budda, hindu, etc. everything. Then, he became a Christian because of meeting Kelly and Dan. Then, he went through all the churches and denominations.................lol! Same song, second verse. Lol!

Finally, he ended up with (same as me).........I follow Yeshua/Jesus, the Holy Bible, and the Holy Spirit....that's it.

He has his whole testimony on YouTube - it's a VERY long series that I have watched every minute of - times I wanted to walk away from his testimony because of the wrong path he had chosen but, God made me stay and listen and understand the path Nathan was on. It's kind of like a hard movie to watch but, it has a REALLY GOOD ending!

Nathan posted this video that is a brief summary of his encounter with Kelly and Dan that brought him to Yeshua/Jesus......

1 Come, let us sing, let us rejoice,
Come, let us sing, let us rejoice.
Messiah's come, and He brought life,
and He brought laughter into my soul.

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
So you had a problem being given the Scriptures to support a pre-tribulation Rapture, and having them properly explained.

1. Did you search the Scriptures for yourself or did you simply believe the anti-pre-trib-rapture propaganda that has flooded the Internet?

2. Did you ask yourself what the Tribulation period is all about, and whether it has any connection to or significance for the Church?

3. Did you ask yourself what the Resurrection/Rapture is all about and how it relates to the perfection of the saints and the Second Coming of Christ?

While it is the duty of Bible teachers to provide the Scriptures for their teachings, and also expound them properly (rightly dividing the Word of Truth), it is also the privilege and the responsibility of individual Christians to study the Word diligently. Sadly, there are few churches where they will actually teach you how to study the Word.
Trust me, I spent some time studying this topic. It's best to study different views, to make a good decision. My mind is made up and there are different websites that can break this down quite nicely, that can explain all the different views. Just don't subscribe to the pre-tribulation rapture.

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
Yes. He probably realized that he should have said *the savvy thread* rather than the *uneducated thread*. He's probably sitting in a public library wondering what to do (unlike some who are slumbering).:cool:
Libraries are great, but most things can be obtained online now.

G

Godsgirl83

So, I think this might be a good place to share this.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Libraries are great, but most things can be obtained online now.
True. But there will never be a substitute for actual books. Anyway, we were just kidding about libraries and how some use them for having a nap.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
When I worked in the engineering library...One student would always comein early in the morning and would sit n the comfy chair having a snooze with his alarm clock tied to his wrist to wake him for class.

But we did sometimes kick the students out at lunchtime for playing cards. But now, in schools they just want to play on the computer. If I could find a way to completely block video games on them I would.

Unfortunatley the makers of thse computers install these useless games on them or entice people to download all this junk. And people hog the computers like its a time out centre. Nobody I know in the history of computers ever learned anything from playing a computer game, except maybe how to cheat. And who wants to be round a video game winner...all youve learned is how to beat algorithms on a machine. Its purpose is to program you.

Having said that...

Studying can be wearying. The Bible says so in Ecclesiastes 12:12

Its just some people dont know how to read the Bible to please God, some think they need to study it till their brains explode. Reading the Bible is a joy, not a chore.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Sorry I dont mean to knock gamers. They can be nice people when they not holed up shooting each other up on their screens. But I wonder where people got the idea to tote a gun and mass shoot people from, then post it on facebook and see if people like it? A book?

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
Sorry I dont mean to knock gamers. They can be nice people when they not holed up shooting each other up on their screens. But I wonder where people got the idea to tote a gun and mass shoot people from, then post it on facebook and see if people like it? A book?
Well, Hollywood has a few movies that has violence in them. I remember the Columbine shooters were into the Matrix movie. Some have blamed the up tick in violence due to the Ten Commandments being removed from public schools, Darwin's Theory being taught (survival of the fittest), and Pscyh meds prescribed by doctors.

Someone could write a Thesis on a culture that has no God, humanistic ideas, and being fixed up on mind altering medications (see antidepressants & Adderral). Sounds like a recipe for death to me.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Well, Hollywood has a few movies that has violence in them. I remember the Columbine shooters were into the Matrix movie. Some have blamed the up tick in violence due to the Ten Commandments being removed from public schools, Darwin's Theory being taught (survival of the fittest), and Pscyh meds prescribed by doctors.

Someone could write a Thesis on a culture that has no God, humanistic ideas, and being fixed up on mind altering medications (see antidepressants & Adderral). Sounds like a recipe for death to me.
According to wikipedia the pair were into Doom and Quake (two violent shooter video games).

Im sure lots of people saw the Matrix, I cant remember if i did ..I dont recall any shooting violence in it except for questionable drug use, something about blue and red pills. But most anything from hollywood has usually got something objectionable being glorified in it. Its just some video games take it to another level.

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
According to wikipedia the pair were into Doom and Quake (two violent shooter video games).

Im sure lots of people saw the Matrix, I cant remember if i did ..I dont recall any shooting violence in it except for questionable drug use, something about blue and red pills. But most anything from hollywood has usually got something objectionable being glorified in it. Its just some video games take it to another level.
I had a friend who was raised Baptist and played in the band at church, his home was the first house I knew of to use a router to play multiplayer shooter games at home. He was probably the most well mannered person I knew at school. If you want to blame video games, I'm sure you will find your reasons. Like anything, there will be an exception. I remember they started putting disclaimers on the Beavis and Butthead tv show, because kids were influenced by them. Head scratcher.

Wikipedia
"One report suggested that Harris was a psychopath and Klebold was severely depressed, and consequently that Harris was influenced by sadism, whereas Klebold was influenced by revenge. "

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
True. But there will never be a substitute for actual books. Anyway, we were just kidding about libraries and how some use them for having a nap.
If I could plan my dream home, it would have a two-story cozy intimate library with a fireplace and comfy chairs to curl up with a good book..........

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I had a friend who was raised Baptist and played in the band at church, his home was the first house I knew of to use a router to play multiplayer shooter games at home. He was probably the most well mannered person I knew at school. If you want to blame video games, I'm sure you will find your reasons. Like anything, there will be an exception. I remember they started putting disclaimers on the Beavis and Butthead tv show, because kids were influenced by them. Head scratcher.

Wikipedia
"One report suggested that Harris was a psychopath and Klebold was severely depressed, and consequently that Harris was influenced by sadism, whereas Klebold was influenced by revenge. "
Well that weird. Os I visited a widow who belonged to a pentecostal church and her young son was playing this shooting game while we were practising guitar. He was very polite and well mannered too and I asked him did what did he think of those shooting games. He goes oh I would not do it in real life. I said really what are they based on then, and what do you think of people that really shoot other people. But i just left it at that, he was very young so wasnt aware that he was kinda being brainwashed by a game. If his dad was there I wonder if he would have said anything. Or if his dad was there they might have been playing an actual real game than a virtual one.

Its like people that play monopoly, all their worst traits come out when they play it cos people succumb to greed, and love lf money which is what the game teaches. But they arent really aware of this and have no clue, they just think its fun.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Well that weird. Os I visited a widow who belonged to a pentecostal church and her young son was playing this shooting game while we were practising guitar. He was very polite and well mannered too and I asked him did what did he think of those shooting games. He goes oh I would not do it in real life. I said really what are they based on then, and what do you think of people that really shoot other people. But i just left it at that, he was very young so wasnt aware that he was kinda being brainwashed by a game. If his dad was there I wonder if he would have said anything. Or if his dad was there they might have been playing an actual real game than a virtual one.

Its like people that play monopoly, all their worst traits come out when they play it cos people succumb to greed, and love lf money which is what the game teaches. But they arent really aware of this and have no clue, they just think its fun.
Lanolin,

I'm not sure about all those shooting games..... Guys have a lot of testosterone and us "moms/women" have estrogen. Believe it or not, our hormones influence our decisions......meaning guys kind of need a physical outlet. I do not like the games of shooting people and guts go flying everywhere... yuk!

But, I do agree that God needs to raise up someone in the gaming community to create games that rescue and save people from the enemy - not just random shooting attacks.