The whole issue with having only 5 minutes to edit our posts is ridiculous

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Miri

I think the 5 min edit time is just right. Otherwise someone could reply to your post disagree agree etc. Then 10 mins later it could say something completely different. It would cause problems and confusion if the edit time was too long in my opinion.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Please give us more time to edit. There is absolutely no reason to have it at 5 minutes.
I've been on site 7 1/2 years and it has always been five minutes and I can pretty much guarantee that it will always be five minutes. If you wish to know reason behind it, search the dozens of existing threads on this topic. I really don't feel like typing it out again.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
I've been on site 7 1/2 years and it has always been five minutes and I can pretty much guarantee that it will always be five minutes. If you wish to know reason behind it, search the dozens of existing threads on this topic. I really don't feel like typing it out again.
No need There is no logical reason. It is ridiculous.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
I think the 5 min edit time is just right. Otherwise someone could reply to your post disagree agree etc. Then 10 mins later it could say something completely different. It would cause problems and confusion if the edit time was too long in my opinion.
10 minutes would be better. Any issues as you say woundn’t be a factor. I Never seen an issue when I used to moderate.

M

Miri

Then either be more careful or don’t post long posts. Lol

I’ve been on here since 2012 and it’s never been an issue.

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
10 minutes would be better. Any issues as you say woundn’t be a factor. I Never seen an issue when I used to moderate.
Dunno about that, LB. Remember smokey? That woman would edit her posts several hours after she first posted them, sometimes completely changing the meaning of things she said. It was very annoying, not to mention unethical.

But I agree that 5 minutes is too short, 10 or 15 would be better.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
Dunno about that, LB. Remember smokey? That woman would edit her posts several hours after she first posted them, sometimes completely changing the meaning of things she said. It was very annoying, not to mention unethical.

But I agree that 5 minutes is too short, 10 or 15 would be better.
Hi shrume! I believe the limit there was 15 minutes. That was perfect. You will always have issues with some. Smoky should have been reported. I don't recall her being reported for that and if so not that often. If she was and proved her self incorrigible; she would have been eventually banned permanently for that.

Incidentally the amount of personal attacks that are gotten away with here. Someone changing their posts should not even be an issue.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
Then either be more careful or don’t post long posts. Lol
Please.....like I said there is no logical reason to keep the limit at 5 minutes.
If they polled it here with the intent to give the people a choice it would be increased. Granted they own and run the site but if it weren't for the people who frequent it; it would not be. The members should have a say.

I’ve been on here since 2012 and it’s never been an issue.
Good for you. Seriously; you are quite exceptional. Most people if they were honest would agree that 5 minutes is not enough for them.
It is hard to keep a conversation or study going in a timely manner when it is in-depth if we are spending 5 to 15 minutes on top of compiling the post editing.

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
Hi shrume! I believe the limit there was 15 minutes. That was perfect. You will always have issues with some. Smoky should have been reported. I don't recall her being reported for that and if so not that often. If she was and proved her self incorrigible; she would have been eventually banned permanently for that.

Incidentally the amount of personal attacks that are gotten away with here. Someone changing their posts should not even be an issue.
Morning, LB. The limit at BD was WAY over 15 minutes. It was hours. And smokey was reported. But that's all water way under the bridge.. BD is long dead. :)

And I agree about the personal attacks here...

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
I second the need for more time.

I concede that at sometime in the past someone abused the ability to edit their posts, but that doesn't mean that most people will.
Just today I made a post and hit "post" when I really wanted to "review". It is an easy mistake to make.

At least 15 minutes is reasonable. Please grant us at least that, please. It would be hard to abuse that.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Hello.

As i'm not one to post very long msgs, it is not a problem to me... but what if we typed our reply in Word first, then pasted to CC? There are cases where i do need to think longer abt a post and cannot afford to click Post only to lose all for missing the time limit=). Just a suggest.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Hello.

As i'm not one to post very long msgs, it is not a problem to me... but what if we typed our reply in Word first, then pasted to CC? There are cases where i do need to think longer abt a post and cannot afford to click Post only to lose all for missing the time limit=). Just a suggest.
This is the best route (and most frequently suggested "fix" to the short editing time).

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
This is the best route (and most frequently suggested "fix" to the short editing time).
I have done that when I have a very long post to make.

But, respectfully, why not fix the problem instead of asking users to live with a work around?

Aug 2, 2009
Here's what I do... its sort of a slight workaround....

If the 5 minutes expires and you see something u want to change, you still have like 1 minute to delete, so copy all your text, delete the post.... and then paste your text into a new reply box and make your changes and repost. It gives you an extra minute or so.... and you can repeat that trick over and over as long as you still have time to delete. The delete option expires in about a minute I think.