Theology—beneficial or source of endless debating?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Jews didnt really have theology as the Greeks did

The Greeks sought wisdom, the Jews sought signs.

This is why God did a lot of miracles for the Jews, which were then written down, and also Prophets spoke then it was written down. But many Hebrews were not actually that great readers of the scriptures, though the Jews in time came to revere it, esp when God wasnt talking with them anymore (over 400 years, He was silent)

signs included...burning bush, healing bronze serpent, the ten plagues, passover, parting the red sea, manna from heaven crossing the Jordan, stopping the sun, healing lepers, the saving from a fiery furnace and stopping mouths of lions, etc etc.

The greeks didnt have any of that. They could only read about it in the translated scriptures.

randyk

Jan 14, 2021
Pacific NW USA
Are you a Roman Catholic?
I was actually raised a Lutheran from birth. Have been in church almost every week of my life. After 16 years old I began to attend an independent Pentecostal church led by a Lutheran pastor who had been kicked out of his Lutheran denomination for teaching the "gift of tongues."

I take pride in the entire historic Christian Church, Catholic, Protestant, Independent, Separatist, East and West. A tremendous history of the Church was written by irenic Baptist historian Kenneth Latourette. He was fair to *all* Christian movements, seeing in them a common spiritual enthusiasm generating a variety of forms of this spiritual life. He did not condone error or heretical movements, but recognized all true Christian movements despite their impurities.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
Well, while I disagree, perhaps one of the reasons you feel that way is because Catholic Bibles have 7 extra books that Protestant Bibles don't have. In a Council in Rome under Pope Damasus in 382, the Catholic Church determined the Canon of Scripture, including the 27 Book NT Canon we all accept. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Rome But the OT canon always contained 46 books, not 39. During the Reformation, after over 1000 of universal acceptance of the canonicity of these books, these 7 books (1 and 2 Maccabees, Judith, Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch and Tobit) were taken out. The difference is mostly due to these books, for e.g. they teach that we should pray for the faithful departed, and that the Saints in Heaven pray for us. Regarding Christ and the NT, we differ very little, all told. But these books do belong in the Bible imho, and thus if they are removed, a difference in theology will occur. That's what occurred at the Reformation.

God Bless.
i have these books in one of my bibles and i dont ever remember reading about it teaching we should pray for the faithful departed???

Nov 26, 2021
India
Hi Melach.

Have you read the Two Books of Maccabees? In 2 Macc 12, Judas Maccabeus prays for the faithful departed, and the Book says it was very well and good and holy to do so. Here's the KJV translation of it:

2 Macc 12:

"And when he had made a gathering throughout the company to the sum of two thousand drachms of silver, he sent it to Jerusalem to offer a sin offering, doing therein very well and honestly, in that he was mindful of the resurrection:
44For if he had not hoped that they that were slain should have risen again, it had been superfluous and vain to pray for the dead.
45And also in that he perceived that there was great favour laid up for those that died godly, it was an holy and good thought. Whereupon he made a reconciliation for the dead, that they might be delivered from sin."

Taken from: https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/2-Maccabees-Chapter-12/