Things people think that are from the Bible but are actually not

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 10, 2019
That does make sense I never thought of that of that plus they had a strict food designed they weren't supposed to eat a lot of red meat and as for sweet things I rarely ever read them eating it honey and sugar cane are about all I can remember and that was not something they seemed to eat a lot
And different types of drinks today my gosh there are a ton of soft drinks, I can see a increase in diseases and decay because of technology inventions etc. though better care also but that cost more money than a soft drink kind of ironic

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
And different types of drinks today my gosh there are a ton of soft drinks
Honestly I sometimes wish we lived much more like they did we are beyond unhealthy compared to how they were at least as far as normal daily living goes as for sickness well... we kind of are better off but also not

Apr 5, 2020
Sin does not exist without a sinner. Sin is a concept (James 1:14) it does not exist unto itself but from the mind of the sinner. Should we love sinners? Yes, because sinners are still made in the image of God. But unforgiven sinners will face the wrath of God regardless of our love.

Which is even more of a reason to invite them to meet our Lord and Savior.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
Hmmmm....I’m trying to think of one that hasn’t been said already... oh! Um I think it goes “God has someone’s planned for you.” Yes that may be true for some, but not all. It’s not in God’s plan I’m sure that everyone be married. Yes it’s a nice sentiment but it’s not in the Bible.

Jan 17, 2020
"A gap between Daniel's 69th and 70th weeks". Scripture never mentions this. Yet an entire scheme of false prophecy as seen in the "Left Behind" rapture mind-set rests upon it.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
[QUOTE="MOC, post: 4210992, member: 295105"."

Cleanliness is next to godliness
This originated as an ancient Babylonian text. Jesus wants us to focus more on the sin in our hearts rather than the dirt on our hands.
the statement might be a reference to deuteronomy none the less clean is God’s command in quite a few places in the Bible like below,

Deuteronomy 23

12You must have a place outside the camp to go and relieve yourself. 13And you must have a digging tool in your equipment so that when you relieve yourself you can dig a hole and cover up your excrement.

[/QUOTE]

When in the US Army during war exercises each soldier had a digging tool in our field equipment. We had to go outside of the camp too. Perhaps Deuteronomy 23:12 is in the military regulation manuals.

Mar 28, 2016
Even though it may not be in the bible I tend to agree with the statement that God helps those that help themselves. At times to serve God requires action and not being passive. If you want to accomplish something, even something for God, you have to at least attempt to try. In other words, you have to, with the grace of God, help yourself.

A lot of people actually believe that the bible states that money is the root of all evil when in fact, as you have pointed out, is the love of money that's the root of all evil according to scripture.

Hate the sin but love the sinner attributed to Gandhi seems to have some scriptural basis but perhaps not in those words.

This could be a very interesting thread.
I would offer.

God hates the sin and the sinner condemning him to death as a dying suffering. . Hate is to not bless.

But he does love those whom he blesses. We can as those who do have the power of Christ in us. We can offer our bodies in view of His mercy. No power as it is written . . no view. no mercy

Psalm 5:5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

Apr 15, 2017
Whether Christian or not, some may think they are quoting scripture when they really aren't. The Bible tells us to impress God's words on our heart and soul, thinking about them daily. For the Christian brother or sister, we are to study God's word diligently, memorize it, and obey it. When we get away from doing this, things get distorted, misused, and often miss-quoted. We not only confuse each other, but may lead someone who doesn't know Christ as their Savior in the wrong direction.

God helps those who helps themselves
This is not from the Bible, but is quoted as such many times. Vladimir Putin gave a speech live on national tv quoting this line and making the claim that is was from the Bible. Now, no one is saying that the Russian leader is a God fearing biblical scholar, but think about how many people heard this and who was able to recognize that it was incorrect when Vladimir Putin made this statement? The earliest recording of this saying is from a fable called, "Hercules and the Waggoner."

Cleanliness is next to godliness
This originated as an ancient Babylonian text. Jesus wants us to focus more on the sin in our hearts rather than the dirt on our hands.

Hate the sin, love the sinner
This is a loose quote from Gandhi, not a quote from the Bible.

This too shall pass
This is from the English poem, "The Lament of Doer." Of course there are verses in scripture that remind us that all of us, Heaven, and earth will pass away (Matthew 24:35), but "this too shall pass" is not a direct quote from the Bible.

Money is the root of all evil
1 Timothy 6:10 actually says, "The love of money is the root of all evil." Money is neither good nor bad and being rich is not a sin. The desire to accumulate money above God and others is the sin.

Final thoughts
Sometimes it can be easy to quote scripture wrong, mistakes happen. As Christians we should be careful and consider it very important not only quoting scripture correctly but understanding what it means. Reaching out to the ones who do not know Jesus is our Christian duty, so we need to be mindful in what we say and how we say it. God bless everyone!
1. God helps those who helps themselves.

This would be true for we would have to take the initiative to want to do something before the Spirit will help us.

The Spirit will not help us to overcome a sin if we want to hold unto that sin.

But then if we have the power to help ourselves God does not need to help us.

2. Cleanliness is next to godliness.

I understand what they mean by this one that it is a practice that is good to be clean for God would like us to be clean rather than dirty, and God had people cleanse themselves during certain situations, and sometimes quarantine themselves in the Old Testament.

So in the Old Testament if they had to cleanse themselves and quarantine themselves because of certain situation then their relationship with God would be better which is more godly.

But Jesus said to the Pharisees that eating with unwashen hands does not defile a person, but what proceeds from the heart that is wrong defiles the person.

So Jesus is saying that eating with washen hands has nothing to do with being godly, but the way you act.

3. Hate the sin, love the sinner.

This is true for Jesus said love your enemies, and pray for them, and bless them, and feed and clothe your enemies, so obviously we have to love the sinners, and obviously we have to always hate sin.

4. This too shall pass.

Mat 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

I do not know, but in Matthew 24 where Jesus said heaven and earth shall pass away does not qualify for this shall pass too, for in order for something to pass too there must be something that passed before, that I do know.

Saying that will pass, and this will pass too, makes sense, but saying that will pass too without stating anything will pass before it does not make sense.

I received a football, and a baseball too, makes sense, but saying I received a football too does not make sense.

Mat 24:6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

Jesus said this will come to pass, but the end is not yet, so there is more and if more than they will come to pass too.

5. Money is the root of all evil.

That is true money is not the root of all evil, and it can sure do good for a lot of people.

But the love of money is the root of all evil.

And some people will say how can the love of money be the root of all evil for money is not the reason for every sin.

A person can cheat on their spouse that has nothing to do with money.

God created the earth for people to love each other.

Love works no ill towards their neighbor, therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Paul said if a person has the means to help the poor and needy but does not do it then they are nothing, and have erred from the faith, and James said their faith is dead, and John said the love of God does not dwell in them.

For the love of money is the root of all evil for it neglects the poor and needy which is what it is all about for love is the fulfilling of the law.

Pro 30:14 There is a generation, whose teeth are as swords, and their jaw teeth as knives, to devour the poor from off the earth, and the needy from among men.
Pro 30:15 The horseleach hath two daughters, crying, Give, give.

This is that generation, and millions of dollars and billions of dollars is not enough for them.

The love of money is the root of all evil for it neglects the poor and needy.

Money is only needed in a selfish, arrogant, and self exalting world, for if the world truly loved each other we would not need money.