Thinking

  • Thread starter Thread starter butterfly712
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

butterfly712

Guest
How can you get your mind on other things?Besides thinking too much about things?I have the tendicy of thinking too much about things that are beyond my control,like the future,just about anything and everything.I don't like to think about things so much,because they I start to worrying,and I don't like worrying,but it's just something that I do,do you know what I can do to stop worrying?
 
Creating new habits by doing some road construction on the neural roads that are deeply rutted with lots of traffic.
 
With effort in right thinking you can literally rewire your mind.
 
Spending time with the Lord can create a peace within that will allow your worries to subside. Listen to music, write, nap, etc. But when you spend one on one time with the Lord, you will find peace. <3
 
Hilariously enough I have ADD, so the best way to get me to stop thinking about something is treat me like I'm 10 and just distract me with something fun to do. XD
 
How can you get your mind on other things?Besides thinking too much about things?I have the tendicy of thinking too much about things that are beyond my control,like the future,just about anything and everything.I don't like to think about things so much,because they I start to worrying,and I don't like worrying,but it's just something that I do,do you know what I can do to stop worrying?
whatever you are worrying about, give it to the Lord in prayer - there is a certain peace that comes from doing that.
 
Conditioning. There are a few ways to go about it: Prayer, meditation, hypnotherapy (a little extreme), or even a new hobby. I tend to live inside my head a lot too, so I understand where you're coming from.
 
I love to wax philosophical about thinking and its affect on circumstance...(in case you haven't noticed :p) A persons inner circumstance is often mirrored in their outer. Our thoughts are the seeds of our joy and our suffering.
 
How can you get your mind on other things?Besides thinking too much about things?I have the tendicy of thinking too much about things that are beyond my control,like the future,just about anything and everything.I don't like to think about things so much,because they I start to worrying,and I don't like worrying,but it's just something that I do,do you know what I can do to stop worrying?

You have a worrier personality and this will likely always be a battle for you, to some degree. But you can learn to minimize it. First thing you have to do is learn to spot these thoughts, which means keeping alert to what your mind is thinking, paying attention to your thoughts. Then, when you see yourself going down a wrong road it helps to point it out to yourself, make it clear what you're doing 'oh hey, there i go again worrying/thinking'. Next you have to make yourself think on something different. It's just a matter of willing yourself into another direction. Sometimes it's easy and effective, often times you will find yourself returning to those thoughts and have to start all over again.
A good plan is to have more positive topics in mind ahead of time. Another good plan is to look up scripture that may pertain to the things you most commonly worry about and when you find yourself worrying recite them to yourself. It not only replaces the worrisome thoughts, but also gives you spiritual encouragement to counter the worry.

Changing thought patterns is difficult. The electrical pulses the brain sends travels over your brain. When your thoughts repeat it begins carving a 'river', physically, into your brain. The longer and more often your thoughts travel down this path the deeper the groove is carved. Think of it like a small creek that over time builds into a large river. Starts out small, shallow, and can even easily change the direction of the flow. But try redirecting that flow of a large river. It's doable, but it takes a lot more work and effort. So the same with your brain. Your habit of worry has carved a deep river into your brain, now you have to redirect that river to change your thinking habits. It won't be easy, but it can be done.
So just monitor your thoughts, then replace them with scripture or anything that will be more positive.

But there is one key. Some things need attention. So part of this process is to allow yourself some time to focus on problems. But the key is that you choose when to allow that time, and you choose when to stop, rather than your thoughts controlling you. You don't want to be in denial, just in control.
 
Dwell and ponder on Scriptures that sheds light on the greatness of God, his love and provisions to you.
 
Best thing is to think about right now and let God handle the future. Besides God already knows and taking care of you :) what I do is have a hobby or go for walks or have a book club. Right now I'm trying to see how many books I can read in a year since its a new year. Lol so yeah try something like that or get involve with something you like. Love ya sis in Christ and hope you're doing all right :)
 
PHIL.4:8.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest,
whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely,
whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise,
think on these things.

this will work wonders!
 
With effort in right thinking you can literally rewire your mind.

in Christian circles, this is probably called "renewing" your mind. :) (Rom 12:2)

(just joshing ya, Sirk. :p)

butterfly, sometimes it's easier than others to stop worrying, yeah?
for myself, i find it a cinch when it's i'm not worrying about something i truly care about.
(will it snow tomorrow because i need to go shopping)

other times, if i'm worrying about something i'm prone to make an idol of
(my children)
it's much harder.
and...now i have two sins to confess. :(

just thought i'd raise my hand, so you know you're not struggling alone.
praying for you now... ♥
 
Assuming that you already spend a lot of time in spiritual activities,
I would recommend you break out of your head by doing some exercise.
Try taking a one hour walk and see how you feel afterwards. You will
be using a different part of your brain. Your mood will change, you will
be more relaxed, and your mind will be focusing more on motor functions
and how your body feels. I'm like you. I spend too much time in my
head, and not enough time in the physical world. Go for it.
 
in Christian circles, this is probably called "renewing" your mind. :) (Rom 12:2)

(just joshing ya, Sirk. :p)

butterfly, sometimes it's easier than others to stop worrying, yeah?
for myself, i find it a cinch when it's i'm not worrying about something i truly care about.
(will it snow tomorrow because i need to go shopping)

other times, if i'm worrying about something i'm prone to make an idol of
(my children)
it's much harder.
and...now i have two sins to confess. :(

just thought i'd raise my hand, so you know you're not struggling alone.
praying for you now... ♥
==================================================

above is what we call an heartfelt and honest post,
ty, psycomom!
=====================================

over-thinking can be a problem, especially for us females, as we are the
nurturers and care-givers of the family, we naturally worry and over-think
in order to preserve and protect our own.

finding a balance is really about using our Faith and using our Trust totally
in our Lord, whether life or death or dis-belief, our Father understands us
and has everything in control - BUT, He expects us to bear whatever burdens
come our way, = tests-trials-tribulations-fears-we just have to realize, that
we cannot take-on the burdens of the world and make their choices, it's up
to us individually, even the standing by and watching others fail and fall
and go the wrong way.
having gone the 'wrong-way' numerous times, God has made this a reality
for me and my husband.

it is so very hard to stand=down and let life have its way with those we love -
but we must, because each and every one of us must claim for ourselves the
gifts that our Father has presented and offered in His most gracious Love.