"this generation will not pass away" - until the second coming of Jesus?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

soberxp

May 3, 2018
Ok one must actually read the passage to understand what is being said.
The disciples ask two questions, Jesus gives two answers. What will be the sign of the end of the age? And when will he return? All those horrific things that Jesus said we're the signs of the end of the age, and they will happen before that generation passed away, and it did the passing of that age ended with the final destruction of the temple in 70 ad.
But as for the coming of the son of man, there is no sign.
I ask you, is the blood/red moon before or after second coming of Jesus in the bible?
Think about it

Skovand

Aug 17, 2020
Southeastern USA
Stars don't fall, the moon is never seen as blood red?

Blood red moon
View attachment 220134

View attachment 220135

View attachment 220136

View attachment 220137

View attachment 220139

View attachment 220138

Featured snippet from the web
A "blood moon" happens when Earth's moon is in a total lunar eclipse. While it has no special astronomical significance, the view in the sky is striking as the usually whiteish moon becomes red or ruddy-brown.Jan 22, 2019
View attachment 220133
Space.com › 39471-what-is-a-b...
What Is a Blood Moon? | Space
I’m glad you brought that up. How often does that happen? Is it’s something super rare and so when it happens they would know what was going on or has it happened hundreds of times? Such as it’s going to happen four times alone this year correct?

So why would Jesus pick a very common thing? Was it because of actual astronomical events or can it be traced throughout scripture as war symbolism?

Kolistus

Feb 3, 2020
Bahahaha! Wow, you really need to read more carefully. John 2 is not Matthew 24. The disciples made reference to the grandeur of the building, not to Jesus' physical body, and Jesus responded regarding the stones of the building, not to His physical body.

smh...
That was hilarious indeed. People will try whatever they can to make the This generation into something future. If you read back in the book of Matthew, from chapter 21 to 23, Jesus always uses "this generation" to mean the people He is speaking to. For example:

Matthew 23:36 Truly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation. (context, Jesus speaking to Pharisees about how the prophets have been killed and how all the righteous blood since Abel will be demanded of them, happened in the siege of Jerusalem, clearly)

Not only is "this generation" used that way in the rest of the book of Matthew, but thats also the natural reading, if I am talking with someone and I say this generation will not pass until that happens. Obviously everyone who I am talking to assumes I am talking about this current generation, not something 2000+ years in the future.

Best way to make it historical and future is: double fullfillment, very biblical and has happened many times. Examples are plenty and im willing to provide a few if asked.

Mar 28, 2016
How does your post relate to the key verse in chapter 24, where Jesus says, "This generation shall not pass away..."?
The genraration of Adam. The under the Sun generation.

Kolistus

Feb 3, 2020
Under the ot prophetic timetable, the day of the lord, or the tribulation was suppose to have begun after Christ was crucified.

The 7 years after the cross was supposed to be Daniel 70th week

Before Stephen died, when he saw Jesus standing up in heaven, the expectation was that Jacob trouble would have begun since the nation has firmly rejected him

But of course we knew that Paul was saved to begin the grace dispensation

But even Paul did not expect this interruption to be as Long as this.

He expected the rapture to take place before he die but we now know it has been for 2000 years
That is one way to explain the delay. Sounds reasonable, but surely God knew it would go like this all along? So why bother recording the 'this generation' phrase at all?

L

Locoponydirtman

I ask you, is the blood/red moon before or after second coming of Jesus in the bible?
Think about it
Acts 2:30 is referring to Joel 2:31, and it is about the death burial and resurrection of Jesus.

Kolistus

Feb 3, 2020
We Will Disagree, The Horse Is Dead :)

Matthew & John's account are the same event in Jerusalem, they were both present at the temple with the disciples.

John clearly states he remembered the Lord stating the destruction of the temple, and the interpretation was the destruction in the spiritual, at the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

You sit in the council of the Pharisees, believing it's a literal temple of stone, taking 46 years to build.

The Mystery was (The Temple Of The Lord's Body)

Matthew 24:1-2
1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

Matthew 26:59-61KJV
59 Now the chief priests, and elders, and all the council, sought false witness against Jesus, to put him to death;
60 But found none: yea, though many false witnesses came, yet found they none. At the last came two false witnesses,
61 And said, This fellow said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days.

John 2:19-22KJV
19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
21 But he spake of the temple of his body.
22 When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.
Do you not see how the discipls specifically say BUILDINGS OF THE TEMPLE. And Jesus says not one stone upon another. Not talking about a spiritual temple there. Clearly.

Mar 28, 2016
Do you think that an abundance of capital letters makes your position correct? What utter folly.

Jesus did not mention "the temple" in Matthew 24:2. The only reason to think that He meant the temple of His body is that it supports a certain interpretation of the rest of the chapter. That's simply backwards thinking.

He was talking about the stone temple. That's what the disciples marveled at. Jesus' words, "Do you not see all these things" does not hint at His fleshly body at all. The context is the stone temple. There is no clarifying statement regarding Jesus' body as in Matthew 26.

Just let the text speak to you and stop trying to tell it what it means.
Yes the stones that the disciple marveled at or wondered after . Rather than believing prophecy .

Signs are for those who rebel. Prophecy for those who believe as a anchor to their soul.

No sign was given to answer their question. Its a evil generation or the generation of Adam that seeks after signs and wonders . When Jesus walked out his words declared the ugly abomination desolate. Rocks falling has nothing to do with making the house of abomination (Kings in Israel ) to no effect.

God does not live in temple mande with umna hands .We walk by faith. the diciples did not understand the parable..This shows no faith was given to sek after a signds and wondes gospel

soberxp

May 3, 2018
Isa
6:9
He said, "Go and tell this people: "'Be ever hearing, but never understanding; be ever seeing, but never perceiving.'

Mat
13:14 In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: "'You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.

Mak
4:12 so that, "'they may be ever seeing but never perceiving, and ever hearing but never understanding; otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!

Act
28:26
"'Go to this people and say, "You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.

Kolistus

Feb 3, 2020
Actually it's all part of the same discourse. Chapter divisions are artificial and we only use them to help our reference. So the end of Matthew 23 is very connected especially since it provides the historical and grammatical context for understanding Matthew 24
Ah, I wouldnt of even posted what I did had I read your messages, you got all the bases covered. Good job.

Jan 12, 2019
That is one way to explain the delay. Sounds reasonable, but surely God knew it would go like this all along? So why bother recording the 'this generation' phrase at all?
Its the same reason why before his ascension, Jesus answered the 11 question in Acts 1 with

6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?

7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

He already knew the nation Israel would reject him and stoned Stephen. Why would he bother giving them false hopes about the restoration of the kingdom to Israel?

The common explanation for both is "God respects Man's free choice"

Mar 28, 2016
We walk or hear God by faith the unseen eternal .And not after the lust of the flesh, lust of the eye. The temporal corrupted things seen.

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

What we as sons of God not see what we will receive . The incorruptible eternal

1 John 3:1Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

No literal signs as a wonder were given . The last one was the sign of Jonas .It was fulfilled at the coming of the Son of man Jesus.

Its a evil faithless generation that does seek after a sign. Sign follow the renting of the veil. .the propmised time of reformation Graves were signified as opened by a earthquake .(the after sign)

Matthew 27:51-53 King James Version (KJV)
And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Total lunar eclipses are Blood Moons.(the after sign) Sign follow they do l not lead . Prophecy (God's words) leads .

Luke 23:44-46 King James Version (KJV) And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour. And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst. And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

One demonstration using the temporal things under the Sun is all that was propmised .

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Actually, the Greek word for race is genos rather than genea. I know they look close but they're different words.
It does not matter. The only way to reconcile what Christ said with what we know from the rest of Scripture is that the nation of Israel would exist at His Second Coming. And we now know that that is a reality.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The genraration of Adam. The under the Sun generation.
I see no connection between your post here and my question, nor with your previous post.

Kolistus

Feb 3, 2020
Its the same reason why before his ascension, Jesus answered the 11 question in Acts 1 with

6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?

7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

He already knew the nation Israel would reject him and stoned Stephen. Why would he bother giving them false hopes about the restoration of the kingdom to Israel?

The common explanation for both is "God respects Man's free choice"
Great post. My mind was brought to Jeremiah 18 when you said that. Its the chapter about the potter, and how if a nation does good, God repents of the evil He was about to do and vice a versa.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
This generation is speaking of the generation that sees these things come to pass at the end of the tribulation period.
There is absolutely no way that you can say that without adding to the text. The text does not say "the generation that see's these things will not pass away until ALL these things come to pass". He only said "THIS GENERATION" looking those people in the eye, answering the people that just asked Him "when will these things come to pass.

Honestly I believe Jesus and believe the end of that, "AGE" not "WORLD", took place in 70 AD when His temple was removed off this earth in the promised judgement of the covenant breakers after redemption of the fallen world, just like He said, but....

I'm not here to argue that, all I'm saying is that you have to admit that you are adding to the text to support you're view here. We are supposed to draw from text, not add to. In order to make this verse mean what you just said it means you HAVE to add "the generation that see's these things", which honestly doesn't even make sense as an answer to the people asking Him when you honestly look at it in context without bringing your view first. Anyway I hear this view often and just couldn't disagree in your meaning for it more, respectfully. It's just not what Jesus says, when He could have easily said that.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
All those horrific things that Jesus said we're the signs of the end of the age, and they will happen before that generation passed away, and it did the passing of that age ended with the final destruction of the temple in 70 ad.
But as for the coming of the son of man, there is no sign.
Just a question. Since their question to Jesus in Matthew 24:3 was based on what He had PREVIOUSLY disclosed to them in Matthew 13:24,30,39,40,49-50 (re: "the end [singular] of the age [singular]") when the angels will "REAP" (wheat and tares, and that), are you saying that you believe Matthew 13:24,30,39,40,49-50 was "fulfilled" in the events surrounding 70ad (rather than yet future)... meaning, you believe the angels did [already] "REAP" (wheat and tares [separation], and etc from the Matthew 13:24,30,39,40,49-50 passage)??

Just wondering your view on that.
(Esp. in view of what I put in past posts about how Lk21:32's "TILL ALL be fulfilled" necessarily must INCLUDE the LISTED ITEMS [of lengthy duration] in what verse 24 had already just said.)

[by the way, for the readers, the commentary I posted in Post #96 covered some of that issue (re: their Q of Him in Matt24:3 and its RELATION to Matt13)...; plus the posts I've made in the past on the subject of the "proleptic 'you'" in the Olivet Discourse]