Three Days and Three Nights

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

rstrats

Aug 28, 2011
Whispered,
re: "No, it would appear to be for this topic."

It's not. This topic is intended for those who think the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb. Any interpretations otherwise should be addressed in a new topic.

rstrats

Aug 28, 2011
watcher2013,
re: "...what day did Jesus said he will rise again? Is it the third day?"

Well, in Mark 8:31 He said that He would be killed and then rise after three days. That is in line with Matthew 12:40 and Luke 24:21. So the verses which say the third day have to be referring to the third day after the day He died.

watcher2013

Aug 6, 2013
watcher2013,
re: "What time did they put Jesus in the tomb? What time did Jesus get out from the tomb?"

Scripture doesn't say.
Again, what day did Jesus said he will rise again? Is it on the third day or the fourth day?

rstrats

Aug 28, 2011
watcher2013,
re: "Again, what day did Jesus said he will rise again? Is it on the third day or the fourth day?"

See post #962.

watcher2013

Aug 6, 2013
watcher2013,
re: "...what day did Jesus said he will rise again? Is it the third day?"

Well, in Mark 8:31 He said that He would be killed and then rise after three days. That is in line with Matthew 12:40 and Luke 24:21. So the verses which say the third day have to be referring to the third day after the day He died.
watcher2013,
re: "Again, what day did Jesus said he will rise again? Is it on the third day or the fourth day?"

See post #962.
Actual event...emmaus
Luk 24:21 ISV But we kept hoping that he would be the one to redeem Israel. What is more, this is now the third day since these things occurred.

Regarding how they understand the third day..

Luk 13:32 ISV He told them, “Go and tell that fox, ‘Listen! I am driving out demons and healing today and tomorrow, and on the third day I will finish my work.
Today - 1st day
Tomorrow- 2nd day
Next third day

watcher2013

Aug 6, 2013
watcher2013,

Are you a believer in a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection?
Yes, any day outside that is unbiblical
You asked and I answered.
Now, what day do you believe Jesus died..
Was it.
4th day - Wednesday
5th day - Thursday
6th day- Friday??

rstrats

Aug 28, 2011
watcher2013,
re: "You asked and I answered."

And your answer was: "Its not lacking a night..." However, the topic is intended for anyone who says that there is a lack of a third night and tries to explain it by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language of the period.

re: "... what day do you believe Jesus died.."

That's an issue for a different topic. This one is concerned with one issue and only one issue, i.e., the issue of the commonality of forecasting or saying that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.

watcher2013

Aug 6, 2013
watcher2013,
re: "You asked and I answered."

And your answer was: "Its not lacking a night..." However, the topic is intended for anyone who says that there is a lack of a third night and tries to explain it by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language of the period.

re: "... what day do you believe Jesus died.."

That's an issue for a different topic. This one is concerned with one issue and only one issue, i.e., the issue of the commonality of forecasting or saying that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.
Did you not asked me about "heart of the earth"?...and that's a different topic..
It would be fair to know what day you think Jesus died

Jun 10, 2019
He died at the ninth hour where did he go for the remaining three hours of that day.

rstrats

Aug 28, 2011
watcher2013,
re: "Did you not asked me about 'heart of the earth'?..."

I did. What is your point?

re: "It would be fair to know what day you think Jesus died."

And again, that has nothing to do with the issue of this topic.

rstrats

Aug 28, 2011
JamOn,
re: "He died at the ninth hour where did he go for the remaining three hours of that day."

That would be an issue for a different topic. Perhaps you could start one.

Jun 10, 2019
JamOn,
re: "He died at the ninth hour where did he go for the remaining three hours of that day."

That would be an issue for a different topic. Perhaps you could start one.
Why you don’t think it’s part of the three days and nights?

Jun 10, 2019
Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a "discussion" with 6th day crucifixion folks, they frequently argue that it is a Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows that the phrase "x" days and "x"nights was ever used in the first century or before when it didn’t include at least parts of the "x" days and at least parts of the "x" nights?
I think yes three hours can be argued as any part of a day like the remaining three hours of Thursday.

Jun 10, 2019
Perhaps being a stickler isn’t your forte

watcher2013

Aug 6, 2013
watcher2013,
re: "Did you not asked me about 'heart of the earth'?..."

I did. What is your point?

re: "It would be fair to know what day you think Jesus died."

And again, that has nothing to do with the issue of this topic.
I guess any argument would be futile..

rstrats

Aug 28, 2011
JamOn,
re: "Why you don’t think it’s part of the three days and nights?"

As I wrote previously, the topic title and OP were poorly conceived with regard to the intent of the topic. Unfortunately the title couldn't be edited once it was posted. However, It was clarified in a number of subsequent posts and most recently in post #929.

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth"

2. There are those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. Of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

4. A 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, there may be some of those mentioned above who say that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I simply wonder if anyone who falls in that group of believers could provide examples to support that belief; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime and/or no part of a night time could have occurred.

Again, the topic request for examples is with regard to the commonality of forecasting a daytime or a night time when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.

Jun 10, 2019
JamOn,

As I wrote previously, the topic title and OP were poorly conceived with regard to the intent of the topic. Unfortunately the title couldn't be edited once it was posted. However, It was clarified in a number of subsequent posts and most recently in post #929.

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth"

2. There are those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. Of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

4. A 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, there may be some of those mentioned above who say that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I simply wonder if anyone who falls in that group of believers could provide examples to support that belief; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime and/or no part of a night time could have occurred.

Again, the topic request for examples is with regard to the commonality of forecasting a daytime or a night time when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.
I have not met anyone who thinks that, nor do I see any posting on a sabbath burial. if you know somone or a site that preaches that it’s probably a very small number.

Though I have seen almost all ignore the three hours on that one day.

rstrats

Aug 28, 2011
watcher2013,
re: "I guess any argument would be futile.."

That would certainly be the case since all your 'arguments' have dealt with issues for different topics.

rstrats

Aug 28, 2011
JamOn,
re: "I have not met anyone who thinks that..."

Since I assume you include yourself in "anyone", this topic does not apply to you.

re: "...nor do I see any posting on a sabbath burial."

Where have I said anything about a 7th day of the week burial?

re: "If you know somone or a site that preaches that..."

I don't.

Mar 28, 2016
JamOn,

The heart of the corrupted earth is represented by the blood of Abel . . crying out to be clothed with the incorruptible on the last day .He arose when the graves were opened

The three days three nights. . with three representing the end of the matter began in the garden. The first part of the 3 part demonstration to the world.

Matthew 26:37-39 King James Version (KJV) And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me. And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

the father pour out the cup of his wrath The Son as a living sacrifice suffered unto death. A punishment he could not bear so he cried out, the father heard and sent a messenger to strengthen the Son of man Jesus. three times together they work out the demonstration. Then the demonstration of the lamb of God slain from the foundation of the world moved to the cross. There the demonstration was shown in an another parable. Christ working suffering indicate by sweat which can represent the unseen work of the Spirit as if it was literal blood. To shown the father was working with Him. The third part of the three day demonstration is in the tomb where the father continued to strengthen the Son in order finish the mutual work of God .

Luke 22:44And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

Not sweat is blood. But as it were. Sweat as if it was the work of the Spirit.

The belly of the whale in that parable in Jonas is used a companion parable. Jesus the fulfillment of the last sign and wonder compared to the Jonas parable.. It gives us the same gospel understanding. Two working together three days and finished the work of bring the gospel to the world.

The King James seem to describes hell as a living suffering by reason of ones affliction. Like that with Jonas Or the Son of Man Jesus. But were given the breath of life from the father .

Some see hell beyond what the eyes see. Just as like catholic who see salvation beyond what the eyes see. Puragtory

But where would that faith come from for both ? It would be like to me. . . Thou will not surely die.

Jonah 2 King James Version (KJV) Then Jonah prayed unto the Lord his God out of the fish's belly, And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.