Three Gods or one? Explain the Trinity.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

tantalon

Oct 11, 2019
How can Jesus be God, the Spirit be God and the Father be God?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
It is written in the OT and Jesus-Yeshua repeats it, God is One. Do not try to understand the mystery of how God will be when it suits Him, the key here is, it suits Him.

Sep 14, 2019
It is written in the OT and Jesus-Yeshua repeats it, God is One. Do not try to understand the mystery of how God will be when it suits Him, the key here is, it suits Him.
It is the Lord (the God of Israel) who is one but God is seven...

Mark 12:29 - “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.

Rev 4:5 - From the throne came flashes of lightning, rumblings and peals of thunder. In front of the throne, seven lamps were blazing. These are the seven spirits of God.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
The how isn't answerable because that is beyond human intelligence.

We only understand this because of scripture that supports the triune relationship. Starting in Genesis you see God, the Spirit hovering over the formless Earth and the Word. You see God say we will make mankind in OUR image. In John 1 you see the Word in the beginning was the Word to become flesh as Jesus. All through out the Gospels Jesus slowly reveals He is God incarnate by doing things only God could do and by saying things that no man would ever say in less they wanted to be stoned for blasphemy. This trinity is found all throughout scripture. That is the only way you will understand it more. Study the scriptures.

Jan 17, 2020
You should study the Ecumenical Creeds and learn basic Christianity. Nobody does this today and that's why all the differences.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
How can you be a son, and a father, and a brother, and a cousin, and an uncle, and a friend, and an enemy, all at the same time?

CS1

May 23, 2012
Because God is not placed in the box of human reasoning. The Eternal Godhead is named God the Creator of all things, The Son of the Highest, and the Spirit of the Living God.

each spoken of in the word of God each shown as having distinct and coe-attributes.

God is enteral, The Spirit of Christ is enteral, and the Spirit of God is enteral yet all one.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
You should study the Ecumenical Creeds and learn basic Christianity. Nobody does this today and that's why all the differences.
Are you elevating creeds over Scripture?

Apr 15, 2017
Jesus is God manifest in the flesh, and He is God and man.

God said there is no God beside Him, and there was no God formed before Him, and there shall be no God formed after Him.

The Bible says there is one God, the Father, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Which in the Old Testament God said He would reveal a new name to the Jews, and speak to them, which God spoke by the prophets in the Old Testament, but now speaks by His Son.

Which Jesus told Philip if you have seen me, you have seen the Father, and the words that I speak are not my own, but the Father that dwells in me, He does the works.

Which the Son was made according to the flesh of the seed of David, and when the time was fully come, God sent forth His Son, made of a woman, made under the law.

Jesus is God who has no beginning, and man who has a beginning, and Jesus can speak either as God, or the man Christ Jesus.

Son means to be begotten and have a father or else son has no meaning, so how can there be a Son of God that has no beginning, which the Son had a beginning in the womb of Mary, whose deity is God, and He is the Son of God.

Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, and the Lord is that Spirit.

I believe there is one God, who is a Holy Spirit, and Father is a title for God, and the Son is the man Christ Jesus.

Not 3 persons in a trinity, but the 3 relationships God has with His saints designated by titles.

Father- parent of the saints, and Creator of all things, which all things are from Him, and He created all things by Jesus Christ which God created all things because of the plan to come in the future in flesh, and without that plan God would of not created anything He created.

Son- God's visible relationship to the saints, and there is only one throne in heaven, and one who sits on it, which is the throne of God and the Lamb, God in the glorified body of the man Christ Jesus, and God in visible activity.

Holy Spirit- God's invisible relationship to the saints, and God in invisible activity.

Let us make man in our image.

In the Old Testament Adam made in the image of God, and in the New Testament Adam was made in the figure of Him who is to come, Jesus Christ.

The image of God is the image of Christ.

God had the plan to come in the future in flesh, and created Adam in that image, an innocent nature in flesh.

The let us make man in our image is God, and the man Christ Jesus, a prophetic statement to the coming Son of God.

Baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Those are not names, but titles, and it is name singular.

Jesus said He came in the Father's name.

Hebrews 1 says the Son inherited the name from the Father.

The Holy Spirit comes in the name of Jesus.

Jesus is the name.

Which Jews, Gentiles, and Samaritans were all baptized in the name of Jesus.

All that we do in word and deed we do all in the name of Jesus.

Jesus at the right hand of God.

God's right hand represents power, wisdom, and salvation.

There is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Jesus said all power is given unto me in heaven and earth.

The Son must reign until His enemies are conquered, then the Son shall submit to God, the Father, that God may be all in all.

God exalted the man Christ Jesus to exercise the throne of power, be at His right hand, until the saints are with Him, and His enemies are conquered, then the Son cease exercising the throne of power, stop being at the right hand, that God may be all in all.

tantalon

Oct 11, 2019
One God--- HIS will, HIS words, HIS Spirit. What appears to throw most people off in understanding the Trinity is God's words and the man Christ Jesus, and his role for mankind. But this is explained in John 1: 1,2. and verse 14. The WORD took on a flesh Body. That WORD was God's WORD'S and part of the eternal Godhead. One imperfect man (Adam) brought sin into the world, and one obedient man (Jesus, the WORD, in a flesh body), removed the curse. God did not die on the cross, neither THE WORD, but the sacrifice of Jesus BODY died. Three days later, God raised that body again to life. The WORD OF GOD, in a flesh body, accomplished all the will of God for righteousness. To sum up, the headship is the Father or will, the WORD being subject to his will, and the Spirit being God's character of Holiness. For that matter, we too are a "trinity", but far from being a perfect one. For example, I have a WILL that directs my WORDS, and a SPIRIT that is my character, three in essence, but all working to accomplish my will in one entity.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Yeah there are things in nature that can help explain the trinity. The help to understand but cant explain it fully.

A human being has a body mind and soul

Water can be ice, steam and liquid

Light, when put thru a prism has many shades of three base colours

They are limited, but do help show how one thing or being can have three expressions/substances.

To know the deity though of Jesus, the Father and the Holy Spirit you just look at the power they perform and the ability to forgive sin of all.

Jan 17, 2020
Are you elevating creeds over Scripture?
Every time you speak about the bible, you form a creed (conclusion about what it says). The Ecumenical creeds resulted from prolonged and intense debates held in the early church to define what scripture says on several topics. The unify the Church by teaching what the bible says on different topics.

Jan 17, 2020
The Trinity made easy to understand.

1) God is Spirit extending forever in all directions. Without beginning or end. Paul says we live and move in him and have our being Acts 17:28.

2) God is one eternal spirit being with three co-eternal persons, each having a distinct role not performed by the others.

3) Eternally, without beginning or end, The Father person begets (generates) the Son person. And together, the Holy Spirit proceeds from them. Since God created time, and time is not part of God, this three personhood characteristic of God is a static condition of God not having a beginning or end. It always is.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Every time you speak about the bible, you form a creed (conclusion about what it says). The Ecumenical creeds resulted from prolonged and intense debates held in the early church to define what scripture says on several topics. The unify the Church by teaching what the bible says on different topics.
Man’s opinions on what God has said...I’d rather study what God has said. Man’s opinions cannot be trusted all the time, even from godly men. My opinions cannot be trusted all the time. I’m going to get to heaven and find out all the ways in which I was wrong concerning Scripture.

Nov 26, 2012
One God--- HIS will, HIS words, HIS Spirit. What appears to throw most people off in understanding the Trinity is God's words and the man Christ Jesus, and his role for mankind. But this is explained in John 1: 1,2. and verse 14. The WORD took on a flesh Body. That WORD was God's WORD'S and part of the eternal Godhead. One imperfect man (Adam) brought sin into the world, and one obedient man (Jesus, the WORD, in a flesh body), removed the curse. God did not die on the cross, neither THE WORD, but the sacrifice of Jesus BODY died. Three days later, God raised that body again to life. The WORD OF GOD, in a flesh body, accomplished all the will of God for righteousness. To sum up, the headship is the Father or will, the WORD being subject to his will, and the Spirit being God's character of Holiness. For that matter, we too are a "trinity", but far from being a perfect one. For example, I have a WILL that directs my WORDS, and a SPIRIT that is my character, three in essence, but all working to accomplish my will in one entity.
Word is a poor translation. The term given was Logos. Logos is a word sort of. This term is from where we derive logic. Perhaps DNA can be the logos of the creature. It is the plan, or design. Words represent thoughts so you can convey, and record them. The body has a spirit, and a brain and a neurological system. From the spark of life that occurs when the sperm meets the egg, this is Spirit. Then as the DNA (logos) constructs the body like a blueprint, there is the path that extends to the digits (fingers and toes). We are the fingers and toes. This is why we were created, to tend the creation. The Father or Yahweh is the Existence, that sparked the Logos to create. The Spirit is the lifeforce, energy that connects all of the created. Everything in nature is atuned to Spirit which maintains balance. Humans lost connectivity. Being born again is like a severed finger being reattached to the body so it once again receives messages from the “Brain” the Logos, the Head of the Body, Christ.

Jan 17, 2020
Man’s opinions on what God has said...I’d rather study what God has said. Man’s opinions cannot be trusted all the time, even from godly men. My opinions cannot be trusted all the time. I’m going to get to heaven and find out all the ways in which I was wrong concerning Scripture.
You then have only your own opinion. Not tested or proven. You are in essence a pope dictating what you say is true.

Mar 27, 2020
Because The Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, are the three PERSONS in the ONE GOD. Remember? In Genesis 1:26 the ONE God said. "Let US make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness.." In the N.T. Jesus said.."Have you been with me for so long and you still do not understand? Whoever sees me sees the Father." (Jn.14:9) And.. Jesus, as He gave us the sacrament of confession, said to His first Priests.. "AS the Father has sent me I now send YOU." When he had said this He breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit. Whoever's sins YOU forgive shall be forgiven. And whoever's sins you retain shall be retained." (Jn.20:21-23) The Holy Spirit is the very breath of Jesus Christ!