Three Gods or one? Explain the Trinity.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

know1

Aug 27, 2012
How can Jesus be God, the Spirit be God and the Father be God?
It is very simple to understand, if you understand what goes on inside you.
But instead of going into all the details, there is more to you, than just you.
There are other beings or person, that are a part of you, that affect what you say and how you feel, and so on.
We are made like God, and like God, we have more than just us abiding in us.
Some of the other voices or thoughts we hear and can quote, are not from our conscious brain.
And some of the actions you take, are not from the conscious you who is doing it.
These other beings, though they are lesser than you, are still apart of who you are today.
If you could separate your spirit from your soul, you would have two different, yet the same people.
Your spirit man makes up apart of who you are, as does your heart.
Each of them are you, and yet, each are there own person.
But without one of them, you would be a different kind of person, with different likes and dislikes, thoughts, and so on.
And God is no different, only He can subdivide each part of Himself, if I can put it that way.
So God is indeed three beings, making up One God, and thereby making Him the way He is.

tantalon

Oct 11, 2019
"Hear o Israel, our God is ONE" . Well what about Jesus? Jesus is the WORDS OF God made flesh John 1:14. Well what about the Spirit? The Spirit is the Spirit OF God. Well who is the Father? the Father is the will or headship by which the other two are in complete harmony with. There is only ONE God, just one. Think on it.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The prayer goes, "Baruch atah Adoni achat. Bless you Lord God is One."

This is the Hebrew prayer which does say God is One, but the Word says this many times.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Do you accept this as an analogy for the Trinity?
No...

I am the son of my father and the father of my children. I have a brother and a sister and a cousin. I am an uncle. I have many friends and at least one enemy (that I know of). I am just one person.

Does that answer your question?
It was a rhetorical question :D

Mar 27, 2020
Creeds are creeds nothing more and nothing less as oral traditions of men .

That (OUR (2) likeness)would seem more to represent two. The father and the Son as one work of faith working together in perfect harmony. .The Son taking the lower position .The Father the greater with power .Not a greater person but position. Together creating the peace of God that does surpass human understanding .The understanding of God.

Some use three.
At the Baptism of Jesus You have Jesus (1) upon whom descends the Holy Spirit (2) after which the Father (3) says, "This is my beloved Son. Listen to Him." Saint Patrick gave us the example of clover plant having three leaves yet being one clover. I like a triangle. It has three equal sides, yet it is one triangle. Trinity - Three eternal, equal, Persons on the ONE God.

karuna

Apr 24, 2019
Trinity is actually a myth. There are no 3 persons in one God. Also I do not understand why it is called a mystery. Where in the Bible does it say so?

Mar 28, 2016
Trinity is actually a myth. There are no 3 persons in one God. Also I do not understand why it is called a mystery. Where in the Bible does it say so?
Its a mystery of the father and Son working as on God made known in parables. The gospel that brings the peace of God that surpasses al human understanding. In that way it believable through a living hope that rises above human hope, a supernatural hope that moves a believer in promise of a new body. For who hopes in that which they already have.

Mar 27, 2020
Its a mystery of the father and Son working as on God made known in parables. The gospel that brings the peace of God that surpasses al human understanding. In that way it believable through a living hope that rises above human hope, a supernatural hope that moves a believer in promise of a new body. For who hopes in that which they already have.

CS1

May 23, 2012
you can have your opinion but attacking the Trinity on this site , we do not do.

Mar 27, 2020
The Trinity is a Doctrine not a myth. And it is VERY biblical. "Jesus said to him.."Whoever loves me will keep my Word, and my Father will love him, and WE will come to him.." (Jn.14:23) And.."Whoever sees me sees the Father." Then, when Jesus (1) created. the sacrament of Confession, He said.. "AS the Father (2) has sent me I now send you." When He had said this He breathed on them and said. " Receive the Holy Spirit (2).Whoever's sins YOU (men) forgive shall be forgiven them. And whoever's sins you retain shall be retained." (John 20:21-23)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Trinity is actually a myth. There are no 3 persons in one God.
Also I do not understand why it is called a mystery. Where in the Bible does it say so?
Ephesians 1:9-10
And He has made known to us the mystery of His will according to His good pleasure, which He purposed in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to bring all things in heaven and on earth together in Christ.

Ephesians 3:4-6
In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, which was not made known to men in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets. This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are fellow heirs, fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 3:8-9
Though I am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ,
and to illuminate for everyone the stewardship of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things.

Ephesians 6:19
Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, divine utterance may be given me, so that I will boldly make known the mystery of the gospel,

Colossians 1:27
To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Colossians 2:2
that they may be encouraged in heart, knit together in love, and filled with the full riches of complete understanding, so that they may know the mystery of God, namely Christ,

Colossians 4:3
as you pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains.

1 Timothy 3:9
They must hold to the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience.

1 Timothy 3:16
By common confession, the mystery of godliness is great: He appeared in the flesh, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was proclaimed among the nations, was believed in throughout the world, was taken up in glory.

karuna

Apr 24, 2019
GOD is a whole being. A part of God is WORD. That WORD came down to the earth in flesh and was called JESUS CHRIST. He is the SON. FATHER is the name JESUS CHRIST calls GOD. The HOLY SPIRIT is another part of GOD.

In other words - GOD has many parts. Some of His parts have been revealed to us. One part (which is most relevant to our salvation ) is His WORD and another part (which is equivalently relevant) is His SPIRIT.

Jul 23, 2018
GOD is a whole being. A part of God is WORD. That WORD came down to the earth in flesh and was called JESUS CHRIST. He is the SON. FATHER is the name JESUS CHRIST calls GOD. The HOLY SPIRIT is another part of GOD.

In other words - GOD has many parts. Some of His parts have been revealed to us. One part (which is most relevant to our salvation ) is His WORD and another part (which is equivalently relevant) is His SPIRIT.
nope

rev 5

2 separate persons

karuna

Apr 24, 2019
The Trinity is a Doctrine not a myth. And it is VERY biblical. "Jesus said to him.."Whoever loves me will keep my Word, and my Father will love him, and WE will come to him.." (Jn.14:23) And.."Whoever sees me sees the Father." Then, when Jesus (1) created. the sacrament of Confession, He said.. "AS the Father (2) has sent me I now send you." When He had said this He breathed on them and said. " Receive the Holy Spirit (2).Whoever's sins YOU (men) forgive shall be forgiven them. And whoever's sins you retain shall be retained." (John 20:21-23)
Father, Son and the Holy Spirit are mentioned in the Bible and I do not deny it. I love my Jesus Christ and I will not deny Him. But the doctrine of trinity tells us that there are 3 persons in one God. How can you say Father is the first person in trinity? "Father" is a term used by Jesus Christ to address God.

karuna

Apr 24, 2019
Ephesians 1:9-10
And He has made known to us the mystery of His will according to His good pleasure, which He purposed in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to bring all things in heaven and on earth together in Christ.

Ephesians 3:4-6
In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, which was not made known to men in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets. This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are fellow heirs, fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 3:8-9
Though I am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ,
and to illuminate for everyone the stewardship of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things.

Ephesians 6:19
Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, divine utterance may be given me, so that I will boldly make known the mystery of the gospel,

Colossians 1:27
To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Colossians 2:2
that they may be encouraged in heart, knit together in love, and filled with the full riches of complete understanding, so that they may know the mystery of God, namely Christ,

Colossians 4:3
as you pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains.

1 Timothy 3:9
They must hold to the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience.

1 Timothy 3:16
By common confession, the mystery of godliness is great: He appeared in the flesh, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was proclaimed among the nations, was believed in throughout the world, was taken up in glory.

Thank you for all those verses brother. Those verses to refer to mysteries that were hidden by God. But my question was where does it say that the doctrine if trinity is a mystery. Also please read those verses carefully once more. Are not these verses speaking about mysteries that were hidden but are now made known? Is there any mystery that has been destined to remain a mystery?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Believe Isaiah who is a prophet of our Father.

6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. 7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it ...

It is so peaceful when brethren who read the Word also share it in understanding.

PS..if you need numbers that is Isa 9;6

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
When the Angel of the Lord announced to the to/be parents of Samson they were going to have him, the husband said to the wife, we have seen God, surely we will die. Read it.

When Moses was given a title of God, God said He will be what He will be. You like the seven fold Spirit of the Assemblies. well and good.

I will stick with the Mystery to be revealed and believe all God says about it until them.

Mar 28, 2016

God cannot be separated .There are three things that make God , one God.

He is Spirit. He is Light. And He is Love.

Before mankind was created he was God . Again not a man.