Time alone with God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Hi all...I have it heavy on my heart to just shut the computer down , turn away from everything and spend time alone with God ...

How do we give Him all our time :confused:...I know we we have to do our chores etc , but between this I have a craving to spend time with our LORD , but I am not that knowledgeable in the word and feel I need outside guidance...I am reading through the OT at the moment and have just finished Proverbs , understood a little but not a lot , I think if I shut everything down and just trust in God to teach me than I can not fail , but the truth of the matter is , is this wise...

In my head I just want to God , His leading and Him showing me the way , but I am afraid that I do not understand all I read , I am afraid of reading on my own , is this normal...Has anyone been through this and if so , did it benefit you...I want to use self control , this is what God has given us , I want to wake up in the morning , make my coffee , and spend time with God...I feel I am lacking something , I feel as if I am spending little time in the word and more time in CC or FB then what I should be given to God , is it because I am young in the word , I feel as if I am learning more about the word in CC than the actual word of the bible and that is not good...:(...

Is it healthy to just shut off and be in the word alone...I am looking for guidance from anyone who has been in this situation...I feel as if I am putting CC and FB before God ...In other words , has any of you just blocked off from everything and spent time in the word , Ii feel so lonely sometimes , my pastor and his wife have gone to America on Gods calling for 6 months , I have found a new church and hopefully will attend this week , I love CC , I am so thankful to God that I found this site , but I know I have to come away for a while but I am scared because at home here I am on my own...Have you ever just closed off everything and spent time with God , only God...Would love a reply and thank you...xox...

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Hi all...I have it heavy on my heart to just shut the computer down , turn away from everything and spend time alone with God ...

How do we give Him all our time :confused:...I know we we have to do our chores etc , but between this I have a craving to spend time with our LORD , but I am not that knowledgeable in the word and feel I need outside guidance...I am reading through the OT at the moment and have just finished Proverbs , understood a little but not a lot , I think if I shut everything down and just trust in God to teach me than I can not fail , but the truth of the matter is , is this wise...

In my head I just want to God , His leading and Him showing me the way , but I am afraid that I do not understand all I read , I am afraid of reading on my own , is this normal...Has anyone been through this and if so , did it benefit you...I want to use self control , this is what God has given us , I want to wake up in the morning , make my coffee , and spend time with God...I feel I am lacking something , I feel as if I am spending little time in the word and more time in CC or FB then what I should be given to God , is it because I am young in the word , I feel as if I am learning more about the word in CC than the actual word of the bible and that is not good...:(...

Is it healthy to just shut off and be in the word alone...I am looking for guidance from anyone who has been in this situation...I feel as if I am putting CC and FB before God ...In other words , has any of you just blocked off from everything and spent time in the word , Ii feel so lonely sometimes , my pastor and his wife have gone to America on Gods calling for 6 months , I have found a new church and hopefully will attend this week , I love CC , I am so thankful to God that I found this site , but I know I have to come away for a while but I am scared because at home here I am on my own...Have you ever just closed off everything and spent time with God , only God...Would love a reply and thank you...xox...
Why not a time with the Lord until you have received a revelation of Jesus, then fellowship. Seek to see Him in your reading.

You need both Rosemary. And there's no law. No fear. That sounds like a religious push or thought to me.

If He calls you to Himself for a time, there won't be fear.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

Reading the Bible is of great long term benefit.. I found i was like you .. not understanding some of what i was reading.. But this did not stop me understanding what i did understand and praying to God again and again and again for understanding as i was reading the Bible.. I did find that some of the things i did not understand would be explained while reading other passages of the Bible.. And i believe God did cause me to understand things.. Sometimes it was weeks or months later, sometimes it was the next day after a nights sleep..

So i would encourage anyone to read the Bible in full.. Read it like a book.. Just read.

Oh and PS: Sometimes i did learn from other Christians on forums like this.. I believe God can inspire others to understand passages and reveal to others in fellowship meanings of those passages.. But we should never become dependent on other people to tell us what the Bible is saying.. That's a recipe for deception and disaster..

Last edited:

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
You're giving God all of your time by knowing, loving, and serving Him.

I have read the bible since I was 14 and there is a tremendous amount that I don't understand, not that I don't want to, but for one reason or another things are unclear at times.

In the first chapter of Isaiah God says to us, "Come now, and let us reason together...line upon line, precept upon precept, a little here, a little there". Spending time in fellowship with the members of this site is not shutting God out but rather He is part of the conversation also.

A few years ago after my late wife died, my car broke down, all of my possessions lost, pet dogs gone, job gone, no money, I was alone with God. I found it to be a very lonely place but eventually He brought me to a place of healing and restoration.

It would be a good thing for you to attend church and to be with other believers as human contact is essential for our physical and mental health and our spiritual health as well. There is human contact on this site too even though very few actually have the opportunity to meet another member.

Spending time on this site writing and responding to other members is sort of like talking to God. You know He's there but you can't physically see or touch Him. At least not on this part of our spiritual journey. But you can feel His presence and know that He's there beside you on this long walk towards eternity.

Those that love you will walk with you too so you're not alone.

We are all young in the Word.

Last edited:

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
You're giving God all of your time by knowing, loving, and serving Him.

I have read the bible since I was 14 and there is a tremendous amount that I don't understand, not that I don't want to, but for one reason or another things are unclear at times.

In the first chapter of Isaiah God says to us, "Come now, and let us reason together...line upon line, precept upon precept, a little here, a little there". Spending time in fellowship with the members of this site is not shutting God out but rather He is part of the conversation also.

A few years ago after my late wife died, my car broke down, all of my possessions lost, pet dogs gone, job gone, no money, I was alone with God. I found it to be a very lonely place but eventually He brought me to a place of healing and restoration.

It would be a good thing for you to attend church and to be with other believers as human contact is essential for our physical and mental health and our spiritual health as well. There is human contact on this site too even though very few actually have the opportunity to meet another member.

Spending time on this site writing and responding to other members is sort of like talking to God. You know He's there but you can't physically see or touch Him. At least not on this part of our spiritual journey. But you can feel His presence and know that He's there beside you on this long walk towards eternity.

Those that love you will walk with you too so you're not alone.

We are all young in the Word.
Awwww tourist , what you posted about Isaiah is exactly where I am right now , made me choke a bit just reading that...I do not want to shut CC down , oh my goodness I have learned so much from fellowship in here :) , I just think at the time when I posted this I wanted to shut the world out lol...But I have just made a cup of tea and a roll , and feeling better , but still , I just need to be in the word , thank you for your reply , as I said Isaiah Scripture just said it all...Isn't it wonderful how God just shows up , using others to show us the word :D...xox...

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Why not a time with the Lord until you have received a revelation of Jesus, then fellowship. Seek to see Him in your reading.

You need both Rosemary. And there's no law. No fear. That sounds like a religious push or thought to me.

If He calls you to Himself for a time, there won't be fear.
Thank you Stones...Yes I feel as if God is calling me because it is nagging me for a few weeks...I have noticed in the morning I am waking up before sunrise and I am aware that I am reaching for my bible as I have my morning coffee...

I feel as if my prayer is being answered because a while ago I have God to take certain things away from me , Ii do not know Stones , all I know is I really want to spend time with Him alone , it is like a craving , an urge , I need Him , I want Him , I am looking , feel like I want to Him...

What comforts me is the Scripture James 4:8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded...

I know when I draw near to Him , He will draw near to me
:)...xox...

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Reading the Bible is of great long term benefit.. I found i was like you .. not understanding some of what i was reading.. But this did not stop me understanding what i did understand and praying to God again and again and again for understanding as i was reading the Bible.. I did find that some of the things i did not understand would be explained while reading other passages of the Bible.. And i believe God did cause me to understand things.. Sometimes it was weeks or months later, sometimes it was the next day after a nights sleep..

So i would encourage anyone to read the Bible in full.. Read it like a book.. Just read.

Oh and PS: Sometimes i did learn from other Christians on forums like this.. I believe God can inspire others to understand passages and reveal to others in fellowship meanings of those passages.. But we should never become dependent on other people to tell us what the Bible is saying.. That's a recipe for deception and disaster..
Thank you for your reply :)...

I do believe that I am not spending enough time in the word , I am reading but in short spats , then I close it and go on to other things , and this is not right...Maybe I am being convicted:eek: but something is changing in me towards the word , and it is pushing me to close down things around me and read , but then I can not read all day , so I have to remember to read untill I get a revelation from God , and then I can close the word , this is why I have to get serious , I am becoming mature lol , laughing in a Joyful way , I am being pruned , being stretched , these words now are rolling out my fingers hehe...xox...

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Thank you Stones...Yes I feel as if God is calling me because it is nagging me for a few weeks...I have noticed in the morning I am waking up before sunrise and I am aware that I am reaching for my bible as I have my morning coffee...

I feel as if my prayer is being answered because a while ago I have God to take certain things away from me , Ii do not know Stones , all I know is I really want to spend time with Him alone , it is like a craving , an urge , I need Him , I want Him , I am looking , feel like I want to Him...

What comforts me is the Scripture James 4:8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded...

I know when I draw near to Him , He will draw near to me
:)...xox...
Actually I have been feeling this too. We can have a lot within us to pour out, but then comes a time to fill up. My problem is so much going on at home, that my time can be limited here. If I get into a conversation (known as debate :) ) then my home life suffers. But, I have a husband, and too many animals that I love.

I was was concerned about you feeling alone. However, I've been there too in my early days. The presence of the Lord is strong, and He loves His "widows". Anyone completely dependent on Him.

Do what you feel in your heart. That's best. And tourist had a great word.

stand2

Dec 6, 2017
There isn't much to add, Rosemary. Much of what everyone here just offered even inspired me, and also brought back many memories (ahh the good ole days). Pray for God's guiding hand and I'm sure He will light your way. The fact you are reading your Bible puts you way ahead of the procrastinators. God Bless your study.......AMEN.....Stan

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Thank you for your reply :)...

I do believe that I am not spending enough time in the word , I am reading but in short spats , then I close it and go on to other things , and this is not right...Maybe I am being convicted:eek: but something is changing in me towards the word , and it is pushing me to close down things around me and read , but then I can not read all day , so I have to remember to read untill I get a revelation from God , and then I can close the word , this is why I have to get serious , I am becoming mature lol , laughing in a Joyful way , I am being pruned , being stretched , these words now are rolling out my fingers hehe...xox...
When i read the Bible i was never worried about my performance.. Sometimes i would read just one chapter sometimes i would read a couple and end in the middle of a chapter.. Sometimes i read for only a short time sometimes a long time..

There is no point reading for a long time simply as a way of proving some point.. The important thing is to be fully focused and attentive to the Bible when one is reading it.. If your reading for 15 minutes fully focused without distraction then you have read that 15 minutes worth of scripture properly.. But if you are reading the Bible for 2 hours and all that time your mind is wondering because you really want to be doing something else,, or you are reading as fast as you can to finish a set number of chapters, then you are wasting your time and not giving the Holy Bible the honor and attention it should have..

So if your mind starts to wonder then put the Bible down and do what ever it is that's got you distracted.. Get it dealt with then you can come back to the Bible and read it without that distraction :)

A

Ariel82

Why are you scared?

If you know the basics then no matter what lies the enemy tries and whispers you can be like Jesus and refute it.

I have found it wise to just listen to the Bible through an audio book and write down questions I have and pray about it.

Not trying to find answers just asking the questions and then keep reading the Bible.
.Sometimes the answers are found in the following chapters.
.Sometimes I find answers to questions I never think to ask.
.there is nothing wrong with learning from others and teachers, but we should always pray and ask God to help us discern truth from lies.

Trust and have faith in God's love for You.

Many people love God but have a hard time loving themselves. This isn't humblenesa or meanness but a lack in trust in God and an inability to see yourself as who you truly are:

A beloved child of God.

We may not be the most smartest people or always speak eloquently or be able to quote chapter and verses of scriptures...but what we have is more important:

We have God's love.

So if you want to take a break, dont,be afraid.

If you want to stay, dont be ashamed or feel guilty.

God loves you and is with you which ever way you decide to spend your time online or off. Just pray and God will answer .

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
You know Rose at first I didn't understand a lot of what I read either But you know maybe this just how it works for me but as I kept communion with everyone here in cc God and I become closer and closer just through being on cc because for me this was the main and best way for me to be with him which sounds weird because really I'm being with everyone on cc yet at the same I am being with him does that make sense? I listen to my Christian music while being on cc and as I kept enjoying talking about God and being with everyone on cc the bible just one day opened up.

I think there is a reason God wants us to have communion with our brothers and sisters

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Why are you scared?

If you know the basics then no matter what lies the enemy tries and whispers you can be like Jesus and refute it.

I have found it wise to just listen to the Bible through an audio book and write down questions I have and pray about it.

Not trying to find answers just asking the questions and then keep reading the Bible.
.Sometimes the answers are found in the following chapters.
.Sometimes I find answers to questions I never think to ask.
.there is nothing wrong with learning from others and teachers, but we should always pray and ask God to help us discern truth from lies.

Trust and have faith in God's love for You.

Many people love God but have a hard time loving themselves. This isn't humblenesa or meanness but a lack in trust in God and an inability to see yourself as who you truly are:

A beloved child of God.

We may not be the most smartest people or always speak eloquently or be able to quote chapter and verses of scriptures...but what we have is more important:

We have God's love.

So if you want to take a break, dont,be afraid.

If you want to stay, dont be ashamed or feel guilty.

God loves you and is with you which ever way you decide to spend your time online or off. Just pray and God will answer .
Hi Ariel...I agree...I felt alone before I made this post , I felt as if I was on my own in the world :rolleyes:...

I have bought a box set of the bible in Audio that Iput on at night time , it is really nice , the whole bible is spoken by different characters with a few sound effects in the background , wonderful when listening to the wars going on...

Although I have my daughters living near by , I live quiet a solitude life , have always liked my own company , but as I said I am getting this strong urge to just spend time with God , so I want to obey Him , Ii do not want to miss His blessing on what He wants to reveal to me , I am only coming up with this as type to you :)...

Ii know who I am in Christ , I know God loves me , it is only now I have let these feelings out that I see they are real and not just random thoughts in my head...Thank you for your reply Ariel...xox...

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
There isn't much to add, Rosemary. Much of what everyone here just offered even inspired me, and also brought back many memories (ahh the good ole days). Pray for God's guiding hand and I'm sure He will light your way. The fact you are reading your Bible puts you way ahead of the procrastinators. God Bless your study.......AMEN.....Stan
Thank you Stan...And God bless you to my brother in Christ...xox...

Feb 28, 2016
read your opening Post and was very moved!

when Jesus Christ called us, hub and myself, we were led to 'cut-off' all connection to the world - etc...
it was 'never a hardship or a feeling of 'giving-up' anything...we were over-joyed to be
called to serve our Holy Master, at any cost that the world had on us...we became His slaves, soldiers'.
His called-out and chosen, as we learned this, along and along - it's been a daily challenge, His ways,
the way! but He has taught us to be the victors, as we gave-up ALL of our 'old ways for Him and
what He has asked us to do for the rest of our lives...

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017

Yes Adstar I agree...It is a long life reading , to carry us home :)...It is like what Stones said , we become full , then we empty and then we need refilling , I like that...

But although I have read up to Proverbs , I still do not understand much of what I have read from Genesis , and today I thought I was blind , and my eyes have not been opened , it kind shook me a bit , started asking myself am I really saved , has God not opened my eyes :rolleyes: , am I just reading and making head and tail of words , this was not a nice feeling...But if this was true , I would not have the urge in me to want to read , and yes you are right , I must just read un til God shows me what I need to see , may it be 15 mins , 1 hour or weeks or whatever , but for now I just want time with Him...I pray the morning comes and my new day will begin...xox...

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Rose if I may make a suggestion Have you tried starting in the four gospels? I don't know how experienced youare in reading the bible but I have always seen the ot as more meat than the rest of the bible. I know when I didn't understand the bible the only two books I would read were Psalms and proverbs that is of course because with Psalms which I call the book of encouragement I felt as if David and I were kindred spirits we both seemed to feel the same way about God and sometimes I even would find that I said something on cc and later read that David has said almost the exact same thing and proverbs was just a good read for me I enjoyed the wisdom of it and took it to heart.

But the rest of the ot for me was hard to grasp I simply couldn't understand it. But I decided to read the four gospels first then I read acts and so on and so forth. these were what jump started me in my understanding of not only the bible but God's true nature, had I read the ot first knowing me personally I would have gotten a very wrathful and don't dare cross me angry eyed God image in my mind about him and also the fact that so much of the ot just didn't get through to me makes me think that starting with the nt first is the better choice but to each his or her own

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Rose if I may make a suggestion Have you tried starting in the four gospels? I don't know how experienced youare in reading the bible but I have always seen the ot as more meat than the rest of the bible. I know when I didn't understand the bible the only two books I would read were Psalms and proverbs that is of course because with Psalms which I call the book of encouragement I felt as if David and I were kindred spirits we both seemed to feel the same way about God and sometimes I even would find that I said something on cc and later read that David has said almost the exact same thing and proverbs was just a good read for me I enjoyed the wisdom of it and took it to heart.

But the rest of the ot for me was hard to grasp I simply couldn't understand it. But I decided to read the four gospels first then I read acts and so on and so forth. these were what jump started me in my understanding of not only the bible but God's true nature, had I read the ot first knowing me personally I would have gotten a very wrathful and don't dare cross me angry eyed God image in my mind about him and also the fact that so much of the ot just didn't get through to me makes me think that starting with the nt first is the better choice but to each his or her own
Hi Blain...Yes I have read the NT and started again in the book of Matthew , but my pastor said I should read the OT as I will get more understanding from the NT...Ii think once I get to the NT again , I will understand more about the Jews and who Jesus was addressing , as before I never understood their culture...

Oh gosh you are right , the OT is pure meat lol , and I can not wait to start drinking some milk to swallow it lol , but what I have learned a lot from the OT is God`s character , His loooong suffering , His Mercy , His kindness etc , and also that He is a God of consuming fire...xox...

Feb 28, 2016
AMEN, Rose,

He is also a 'consuming fire', and a very jealous Father, with many expectations
from His 'called-elect-chosen', - may we try our very best to not let Him down!!!

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Hi Blain...Yes I have read the NT and started again in the book of Matthew , but my pastor said I should read the OT as I will get more understanding from the NT...Ii think once I get to the NT again , I will understand more about the Jews and who Jesus was addressing , as before I never understood their culture...

Oh gosh you are right , the OT is pure meat lol , and I can not wait to start drinking some milk to swallow it lol , but what I have learned a lot from the OT is God`s character , His loooong suffering , His Mercy , His kindness etc , and also that He is a God of consuming fire...xox...
Can you imagine the migraines he must have gotten from his stubborn children?