Time and existence (Life)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jaybird88

i dont think time is real, only the moment is real. time is just perception. if you meditate long enough you can slow time, even stop it.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Not true according to the Bible. The sun and particularly the moon (for Hebrews) were placed in the heavens to mark time.

And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years (Gen 1:14).

One day they will disappear, but everything will continue for eternity under the New Heavens and the New Earth.

The sun shall be no more thy light by day; neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee: but the LORD shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory. (Isa 60:19)

And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it. And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof. And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it. (Rev 21:22-24)
What you are saying is true but i was talking about our own consciousness. It is our consciousness that creates the visible sun and the moon meaning that time is within our consciousness and not necessarily with sun and the moon. If time stops, you can not observe the moon or the sun because making that observation requires time.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
i dont think time is real, only the moment is real. time is just perception. if you meditate long enough you can slow time, even stop it.
Meditating LONG enough requires time, so you can't stop time by meditating long enough, but i agree time is a perception created in us; and nothing exists without time, meaning that all existence (universe) is just a perception.

Jun 10, 2019
Exploring time in a different dimension.

Is it true that when time stops everything disappears?

For example, in a restaurant taking tea; if time stops, the cup and its contents will disappear, the restaurant and all its fittings will vanish, including the chair that i sit on, the table that i eat on, my flesh and bones will also be no more.

Everything requires time to be what they are; all my feelings and what the brain interprets:
Smell/vision/feel/touch/hearing- the neurons require time (even if in nano second) to fire these inputs to my brain and the output from my brain to respond to them also requires time. So if time stops, i will also not see, hear, feel, respond, talk or even move my lips.

The resulting conditions will be thick darkness and an echoing silence. Trying to move my limbs, but they are not there, trying to speak but my lips and tongue are not even there. I'm definitely stuck.

But isn't this the precise description of death?
If that’s true, why didn’t all the soldiers disappear when the sun stopped in the Bible.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
What you are saying is true but i was talking about our own consciousness. It is our consciousness that creates the visible sun and the moon meaning that time is within our consciousness and not necessarily with sun and the moon. If time stops, you can not observe the moon or the sun because making that observation requires time.
Time is NOT subjective. Whether or not your consciousness believes that it exists, God measures time and eternity. He has allotted a specific time to the present heavens and earth. After that eternity will exist for eternity.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
If that’s true, why didn’t all the soldiers disappear when the sun stopped in the Bible.
If the war raged on then it means time did not stop, only the 'sun stopped'.
If the soldiers were able to observe the sun then it means time did not stop; making an observation requires time, don't you agree?

They say light travels from an object to the eye at a rate (m/s), if the s in that rate is 0, then there's no rate at all and light doesn't travel in this case. If the soldiers were able to observe the sun, then time did not stop. It was only miraculous that the day was made longer as was observed but then compensated by a shorter night IMO.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Time is NOT subjective. Whether or not your consciousness believes that it exists, God measures time and eternity. He has allotted a specific time to the present heavens and earth. After that eternity will exist for eternity.
But God measures time and eternity through you heart (consciousness), so it matters a lot. The reason Paul says the whole universe awaits for the glory to be revealed in you:

Rom 8:
18I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.19For the creation waits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed. 20For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope 21that h the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God.

22We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, the redemption of our bodies. 24For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? 25But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

Q. So, what is the connection between the universe and our hearts?

People can not believe that God has created the universe through the hearts of men and God will liberate the universe through the hearts of men.

J

jaybird88

Meditating LONG enough requires time, so you can't stop time by meditating long enough, but i agree time is a perception created in us; and nothing exists without time, meaning that all existence (universe) is just a perception.
What's LONG to you may be a moment to me.no time in the morning.
Time is a unit of measure. You can only prove it's there by saying it's there. Like inches and gallons

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
What's LONG to you may be a moment to me.no time in the morning.
Time is a unit of measure. You can only prove it's there by saying it's there. Like inches and gallons
We actually experience 'passage of time', so anything to be done, including long meditation, requires time; we can not 'stop time', by doing something. While you are doing anything, you experience passage of time; time stoppage means your consciousness is stopped or reduced to only self awareness.

Jun 10, 2019
If the war raged on then it means time did not stop, only the 'sun stopped'.
If the soldiers were able to observe the sun then it means time did not stop; making an observation requires time, don't you agree?

They say light travels from an object to the eye at a rate (m/s), if the s in that rate is 0, then there's no rate at all and light doesn't travel in this case. If the soldiers were able to observe the sun, then time did not stop. It was only miraculous that the day was made longer as was observed but then compensated by a shorter night IMO.
Yes I agree, if all time stopped then the universe would not exist, everything in the physical has a time stamp.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Yes I agree, if all time stopped then the universe would not exist, everything in the physical has a time stamp.
But there's a biblical mystery behind this; time is actually our consciousness. This means that the whole universe is our collective perception.

Ecc 3:9What do workers gain from their toil? 10I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. 11He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet a no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

How God created the universe is a mystery:

Psalm 24:1A Psalm of David. The earth is the LORD’s, and the fullness thereof, the world and all who dwell therein. 2For He has founded it upon the seas and established it upon the waters.

Isa 51:16And I have put my words in your mouth, and I have covered you in the shadow of my hand, that I may plant the heavens, and lay the foundations of the earth, and say to Zion, You are my people.

Prov 20:
5The intentions of a man’s heart are deep waters,
but a man of understanding draws them out.

Proverbs 18:4
The words of a man's mouth are deep waters; the fountain of wisdom is a bubbling brook.

Jun 10, 2019
But there's a biblical mystery behind this; time is actually our consciousness. This means that the whole universe is our collective perception.

Ecc 3:9What do workers gain from their toil? 10I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. 11He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet a no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

How God created the universe is a mystery:

Psalm 24:1A Psalm of David. The earth is the LORD’s, and the fullness thereof, the world and all who dwell therein. 2For He has founded it upon the seas and established it upon the waters.

Isa 51:16And I have put my words in your mouth, and I have covered you in the shadow of my hand, that I may plant the heavens, and lay the foundations of the earth, and say to Zion, You are my people.

Prov 20:
5The intentions of a man’s heart are deep waters,
but a man of understanding draws them out.

Proverbs 18:4
The words of a man's mouth are deep waters; the fountain of wisdom is a bubbling brook.
time is a mysterious thing, we can catch up to it but none can surpass it

J

jaybird88

We actually experience 'passage of time', so anything to be done, including long meditation, requires time; we can not 'stop time', by doing something. While you are doing anything, you experience passage of time; time stoppage means your consciousness is stopped or reduced to only self awareness.
i think pig killer explained it best in mad max beyond thunderdome -
"no matter where you go, there you are."