Tiny house

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
what does everyone here think of tiny houses
an option for you?
too tiny?
only good for dolls?
not worth it or totally worth it?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Depends on who you are.

My phone is good for what I need. So are my laptop, my car and my house. But I wouldn't recommend any of them to everybody as a one-size-fits-all solution.

A tiny house is not for me. I need somewhere to put my music keyboard.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Even if a tiny house fits you perfectly, you might want to hold off for now. They are popular, which influences the price. Wait until the fad dies down.

JimJimmers

Apr 26, 2012
Tiny house & huge garage/workshop is my ideal setup if I lived alone.

S

SimpleSheep

I wouldn't like to live in those typical tiny houses I've seen on tv. They make me feel claustrophobic on the screen. lol
But I wouldn't mind a small humble home. I think I would prefer a small house actually. A lower electric bill is always a plus!

stilllearning

Oct 4, 2021
what does everyone here think of tiny houses
an option for you?
too tiny?
only good for dolls?
not worth it or totally worth it?
I reckon would fall under what fits your needs. Some I understand are minimalist and small and quaint is there thing. In the general I would say it is a indictment against this worlds system and their love of money. This worlds system has priced a good number of individuals and families out of the dream of home ownership and having a place to call your own.

As well as the simple things like a mom getting a kick out of drawing a line on the wall to see how much her child has grown. The child laughing and smiling to see they are getting bigger. The father feeling pride that his family is taking joy in what he is able to provide for them. So for the most part I find it a indictment and a charge against this worlds system and how it's greed and lust has priced folks out of the market.

RodB651

Feb 11, 2021
I wouldn't mind getting one of the big utility buildings and fixing it up to live in. It's about minimalism and living a simpler life.

TamLynn

A heart at rest
Nov 27, 2014
I think tiny homes are neat.
I've seen some really amazing ones!
With the price of houses and rent here, the thought of one is very appealing.
Perhaps one day a tiny home on a nice lot of land will be an ideal situation.
Until then, I need a wee bit more space. 🙂

Apr 11, 2020
I just found a show on Peacock about a company that makes homes, tiny and otherwise, from shipping containers. I have the skills to do that. It has me thinking...

O

Oblio

I'd love to live in a tiny house. Where I now live has more room on one floor than I would ever need. And there are 3 floors.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I reckon would fall under what fits your needs. Some I understand are minimalist and small and quaint is there thing. In the general I would say it is a indictment against this worlds system and their love of money. This worlds system has priced a good number of individuals and families out of the dream of home ownership and having a place to call your own.

As well as the simple things like a mom getting a kick out of drawing a line on the wall to see how much her child has grown. The child laughing and smiling to see they are getting bigger. The father feeling pride that his family is taking joy in what he is able to provide for them. So for the most part I find it a indictment and a charge against this worlds system and how it's greed and lust has priced folks out of the market.
my mum never did that and my dad just cut down most of the trees I did try to grow anyway...but i got the impression from both that home ownership it was the most important thing even though nobody is ever able to afford it THESE days.

in the library I do have a height chart on the wall where the children can mark how tall they are. I also stacked the books up as a challenge for readers to read their height in books.

I am quite lucky that I have a school library to look after and its just me in one room. There is a divider to another part and a corner office but its pretty much one room Ive worked in 3 storey public libraries and they are too big plus they need a whole team to look after them.

as for tiny homes Ive never lived in one so I am not sure how that would work. Ive stayed in cabins and huts but I dont know if a tiny home is the same or its just another name for a glorified shed.

T

TheIndianGirl

How big is a tiny house, in terms of square footage?

T

TheIndianGirl

I lived in a 410 sq ft nicely laid out studio apartment for awhile and it fit me perfectly. However, there are a lot of limitations with a studio. Ideally, I would like a proper guest bedroom (instead of having guests sleep on the futon or sharing my bed) and my own office (since now the trend is more teleworking). I also need enough counter space in the kitchen for appliances. I grew up in a 2400 sq ft home.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
How big is a tiny house, in terms of square footage?
good question

in nz its 7m x 3m I think thats the width that you can easily tow on a road trailer

I dont know how much that is in square feet though

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
google tells me average tiny home for sale in US is 225 square feet

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
ok my bedroom is 3x3 m or 9 square metres. An entire tiny house is a little over twice that size 21sq metres.

A bed is roughly 2 m long. So a single bed would fit but you'd be pushing it to have a double bed unless you had loft space or one of those fold up beds.

then youd need to fit in a shower/bath and toilet, and kitchen sink, stove, fridge to make it self contained. Otherwise youd need to contantly go somewhere else for those facilities. I dont think there would be room for tables and chairs or a couch or desk.

some teenagers have a 'sleepout' thats basically a garage converted into a bedroom. But that is not a tiny home. They still need to use the main house its attached to or on the same land for everything else.

T

TheIndianGirl

The only way a tiny house would is if the location is a scenic place, so you spend more time outdoors than indoors.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The only way a tiny house would is if the location is a scenic place, so you spend more time outdoors than indoors.
or if everyone as the size of hobbits.
I have been to visit Hobbiton. But they prefer holes in the ground to tiny homes.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think a tiny house would be ideal if you also had a mini golf and a miniature railway going past your house. Just to keep everything to scale.

It would be kind of weird to have a tiny house that was smaller than your garage. I have seen triple car garages in some richer areas in the world and I wonder if the owners have three cars to themselves or their family member each have a car so their property becomes like a parking lot.

The thing with home ownership is, its touted as 'the dream' but is hardly ever achieved in reality. Also the Bible says not to covet someone elses house, so Im thinking ok, its nice if everyone has their OWN house, but then how is it some people have like 5 or 20 properties? what do they possibly do with them all except rent them out to make profit?

It must have been they coveted someone elses home. Unless is another valid reason to own so many but I cant think of any.