Tithing Again

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Paul i
have a look also at vv. 15-17 --- that's the context, isn't it?
I take the Scripture as meaning a combined prayer is stronger. Paul in Rom 15:30-33 asks the others to pray for him and in the upper room, I think they were praying in one accord as well as throughout Acts. Jms 5:16 says to pray for one another. I never came across a problem with this before and if it's uncomfortable for someone then perhaps they shouldn't do it.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Seem to me God give the reason

Matt 6

2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

If you give to get the glory fro man, than God not give reward, becouse you already get reward from human.

If you get pay already, God not pay you.

If No body pay you, than God Will.
you're right :)

and He links these two things together; He says exactly the same thing twice -

do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret.
Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
(Matthew 6:3-4)
when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen.
Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
(Matthew 6:6)

i don't want to blow it, and get a reward that's worth far less. i don't want to, even if i mean well, wind up doing the opposite of what He's telling me to do here.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
God bless the givers for such is the kingdom of heaven.
blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
(Matthew 5:3)
what does this really mean?

P

pottersclay

blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
(Matthew 5:3)
what does this really mean?
This poor man cried out, and the Lord heard him, And saved him out of all his troubles.

Poor in spirit....a person that knows they need help...a savior....to depend upon another.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
This poor man cried out, and the Lord heard him, And saved him out of all his troubles.

Poor in spirit....a person that knows they need help...a savior....to depend upon another.
and the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast
(Luke 18:13)
I tell you, this man went down to his house justified
(Luke 18:14)

Sep 3, 2016
Robbing God of tithes and offerings brings a curse of scarcity, barrenness and poverty (Mal. 3:9)!!!!!!!

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
We are under no legal compulsion as Christians to tithe to our church, instead in the NT giving is referred to as 'offerings.'

When a specific need for giving arises, such as when our brothers and sisters suffered deaths and loss from an earthquake
and tsunami in Papua New Guinea, the call went out for practical items and money to rebuild and replace what was lost
materially. We all, even those of us who were unemployed and low incomes, gave much because of the necessity to
respond in practical love to the needs of our churches in PNG.

This is mentioned in scripture when Paul writes of remembering the poor, and giving according to what a person has …
perhaps the best chapter on the law of liberality and giving is 2Corinthians 8:

Acts 11:29

So the disciples determined, everyone according to his ability, to send relief to the brothers living in Judea.
Romans 15:
25 At present, however, I am going to Jerusalem bringing aid to the saints.
26 For Macedonia and Achaia have been pleased to make some contribution for the poor among the saints at Jerusalem.

I do not tithe. But I am not stingy nor tightfisted.
Giving to others and sharing is at the core of Christian love and our testimony.
Remember the good Samaritan who helped a stranger and brought him to the inn (church) for further nurturing.
I do give money now and then to my church, but most often I assist others outside of my church because most often
that seems to be how things work out.

Sep 3, 2016
God must come first in all things in our lives, and that refers to our financial resources as well.

“Therefore take no thought (don’t worry) , saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we d rink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (The Greek Text actually means that even one anxious thought is forbidden. Such shows a distrust of the Lord.)

“(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek) (Gentiles had no part in God’s Covenant with Israel; consequently, they had no part in God’s Economy, and, basically, had to fend for themselves) for your Heavenly Father knows that you have need of all these things (the phrase is meant to express the contrast between those who do not know the Lord and those who do; if we live for Him, ever seeking His Will, we have the guarantee of His Word, which He will provide for us; is God’s Word good enough? I think it is!) .”

“But seek you first the Kingdom of God, and His Righteousness (this gives the ‘condition’ for God’s Blessings; His interests are to be ‘first’) ; and all these things shall be added unto you (this is the ‘guarantee’ of God’s Provision).

“Take therefore no thought for the morrow (don’t worry about the future) : for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself (this is meant to refer back to Verse 27) . Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof (this means that we should handle daily difficulties in Faith, and have Faith for the future that the present difficulties will not grow into larger ones; we have God’s assurance that they won’t, that is, if we will sufficiently believe Him) ” (Mat. 6:31:34).

So, the Law of the “firstling” or firstborn applies to our finances as well, which, of course, includes tithing, “seek ye first the Kingdom of God. . . .”

JSM

Nov 14, 2016
Giving is the way out of lack. Tithing is how God's Kingdom is promoted--- whether through Missions, Crusades, Helping the Poor etc. Jesus made it simple in Luke 6:38. Give and it comes back even greater. This is the principle of the seed. No seed produces only a seed, but a harvest.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
God will certainly bless us, and meet our needs and give us more than we can imagine but in context of this thread, if people are in debt because they made poor decisions by following the cultural norm of extreme consumerism leading up to Christmas, I really don't see why God should bail them out because they tithed.

Wisdom is better.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Giving is the way out of lack. Tithing is how God's Kingdom is promoted--- whether through Missions, Crusades, Helping the Poor etc. Jesus made it simple in Luke 6:38. Give and it comes back even greater. This is the principle of the seed. No seed produces only a seed, but a harvest.
Tithing is an OT requirement given via Mosaic Law. To the Nation of Israel only.

Malachi 3:10 “Bring ye """all the tithes""" (PLURAL) into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house,”
(NOTE: "that there might be food in my house". Tithe was fruit, seed & animals, not money. Only land owners were required pay. Example: A fisherman paid nothing on his catch, tradesmen, cobblers, potters, the women, who made the soldiers garments, the servants who worked in the fields for wages, were not required to pay tithe.)

Under the law, there were 3 tithes of a tenth each, not one. The Levitical tithe (Numbers 18:19-20), the festival tithe (Deuteronomy 14:22-17), and the poor tithe, every 3rd year (Deuteronomy 14:28-29). So if your religion regard's itself as being under the Biblical command to pay tithes, then preach three tithes not simply one!

The tithe was exclusively a tax on the produce on the land of Israel, so if you don't live within the Promised land (Israel), then you were not required to pay tithe. Numbers 18:21 clearly states; “all the tithes in Israel,” so tithes were only paid on people’s increase (Deuteronomy 14:22), on their agricultural products (Leviticus 27:30), within the land of Israel

The first of these tithes, the Levitical tithe, was payable only to the Levite tribe of Israel, (Nehemiah 10:37), nobody else was permitted to collect it, and this tithe had to be paid to the tribe of Levi within one of 48 designated Levite cities within Israel (Numbers 35:7).

NOBODY WAS REQUIRED TO TITHE: Every 7th (Sabbath) year (Exodus 23:10-11), and 50th (Jubilee) year (Leviticus 25:10-11), the entire nation of tithers, within the nation of Israel were completely excluded from paying tithes for those entire years.

Leviticus 27:
30 “""And all the tithe of the land""" whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD’S: it is holy unto the LORD.
(NOTE: A tithe was due on the firstfruit: of corn, wine, oil, wood, honey, all the increase of the field. There was also a required Temple tax, wealthy Jews were requires under the """Law""" to give alms as well for the poor & widows).

31. And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes (Plural), he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.”
(NOTE: If a man wanted to take CASH to the Temple instead of grain, animals or increase of the field. He would have to add 1/5. I.E pay an additional 20%)

Instructions given to the Body of Christ on giving:

1 Cor 16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
(NOTE: Bring WEEKLY your best freewill gift)

2 Corinthians 9:6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
(NOTE: Give a little, receive a little, give alot, receive alot)

7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, ""or of necessity"": for God loveth a cheerful giver.
(NOTE: A tithe is given out of the laws necessity. A worthless gift from todays believer. A freewill gift from the heart is loved and rewarded by our Lord)

When it comes to giving. New covenant Christians are taught to give generously, sacrificial & expectant of a blessing in return. And most certainly be CHEERFULL FREEWILL GIVER'S!

We should all prayerfully examine our giving patterns. Pray earnestly that the Holy Spirit would challenge us. To see whether they are in line with God's New Testament plan of being Generous, Sacrificial, Cheerful Giver's!

Sep 3, 2016
God will certainly bless us, and meet our needs and give us more than we can imagine but in context of this thread, if people are in debt because they made poor decisions by following the cultural norm of extreme consumerism leading up to Christmas, I really don't see why God should bail them out because they tithed.

Wisdom is better.
You say these things because you have know wisdom on the Spiritual Laws of God. Your faith depends on the "Babylonian System," who has deceive you by believing that you can reap what you sow to the flesh.

7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap.
8 For he that sows to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that sows to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. Gal. 6:7-8

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
You say these things because you have know wisdom on the Spiritual Laws of God. Your faith depends on the "Babylonian System," who has deceive you by believing that you can reap what you sow to the flesh.

7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap.
8 For he that sows to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that sows to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. Gal. 6:7-8
I believe God has certainly blessed me with lots of wisdom, but clearly not as much as you ;)
To say I have no knowledge of the spiritual laws of God is insult to God Himself, not on me. I don't rely on myself to give myself anything.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
So when pastors, priests, ministers, vicars and so on become multi-millionaires (one or two are billionaires)
is this the purpose of preaching the doctrine of tithing??
Whatever happened to giving to the poor in our church.
And people are not poor because they are sinful or less blessed: unemployment, tragedy and misfortune still come upon the
children of God as we live in this world. The difference ought to be of course faith and Christian charity with love.
Whatever happened to sharing a meal and good works to those who are not able to return the favour materially themselves?
Seems to me that tithing ends up in the pockets of the ruling "priesthood" and in material wealth and extravagance in buildings.
And what is this nonsense that giving to a mutli-millionaire is the same as giving directly to the Lord who is then obligated
to materially prosper church goers who believe in a prosperity gospel??

13 But when thou make a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind:
14 And thou shall be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.
Luke 14:

27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction,
and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
James 1:

Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you.
2 Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are motheaten.
3 Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire.
Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days.
James 5:

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father,
but is of the world.
17 And the world passes away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abides for ever.
1John 2:
19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through
nor steal:
21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Mathew 6:

Joel Osteen's humble shack fitting for a man of God.
No wonder they promote the doctrine of tithings and "blessings"

Laish

Jul 31, 2016
Ok looking in on this thread . Spending 10% of my time here .
Going about how I thought it would .
Blessings
Bill

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father,
but is of the world.
17 And the world passes away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abides for ever.
1John 2:
19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through
nor steal:
21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Mathew 6:

Joel Osteen's humble shack fitting for a man of God.
No wonder they promote the doctrine of tithings and "blessings"
He does give very good messages and has a huge congregation. He does make money from his many books. and his wife is involved in a successful cosmetic co. It must take a lot of studying and effort to b in the public eye speaking to millions ea wk. It's hard for any of us to know what it's like to b in his shoes and I always thought if crooks and money-grubbers can have mansions, should we deny Christian leaders who happen to have big followings the same.

Sep 3, 2016
The reason why Christians are struggling is because God is not first, so they get to take care of themselves (Matthew 6:33). God will continue to make the wisdom of the world look foolish. The Christian must understand we are fighting a spiritual battle what we can not see, but the effects of it you can see. We have entered a time when level one problems will not be able to be solve with level one thinking. Many are walking in the vanity of their minds Eph. 4:17. You have left your first love Rev. 2:4 NKJV. Many Christians believe they can circumvent tithing. God will not be mock.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The reason why Christians are struggling is because God is not first, so they get to take care of themselves (Matthew 6:33). God will continue to make the wisdom of the world look foolish. The Christian must understand we are fighting a spiritual battle what we can not see, but the effects of it you can see. We have entered a time when level one problems will not be able to be solve with level one thinking. Many are walking in the vanity of their minds Eph. 4:17. You have left your first love Rev. 2:4 NKJV. Many Christians believe they can circumvent tithing. God will not be mock.
He will not supernaturally bless CC members with good grammar either. That you have to learn on your own.

Tithing is a requirement under the Mosaic Law. Christians aren't under that Law.

It really is as simple as that.