Tithing/Giving in the New Testament

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Charlie24

Oct 31, 2021
You might unconfuse yourself by reading Bible passages in their appropriate context. Malachi was not written to Christians.
If you want to give when it's convenient for you to give, that's you, not me.

I give a minimum of 10% of everything I receive to my local church and gifts as I can above that.

This junk of us deciding what an when we give is not the will of God. It's departing from the scripture.

Jan 5, 2022
"A higher plane," hehe
www.youtube.com
If you want to give when it's convenient for you to give, that's you, not me.

I give a minimum of 10% of everything I receive to my local church and gifts as I can above that.

This junk of us deciding what an when we give is not the will of God. It's departing from the scripture.
I will say that even in the camp of those who say giving in the NT church is a love offering, they will generally say that 10% is a good guideline for giving, and if possible, then give more.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Perhaps you're unfamiliar with 2 Corinthians 9:7 "Each one must do just as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. "

In other words, it is indeed within the will of God that we decide what and when we give. When you find the Scripture from which I am allegedly departing, you are welcome to post it. I won't hold my breath.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
7 and a half min video ---informative

What Is Biblical Tithing ? - John MacArthur

Charlie24

Oct 31, 2021
Perhaps you're unfamiliar with 2 Corinthians 9:7 "Each one must do just as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. "

In other words, it is indeed within the will of God that we decide what and when we give. When you find the Scripture from which I am allegedly departing, you are welcome to post it. I won't hold my breath.
This verse in no way allows you to give when you feel like giving or to give the amount you think is fair.

I have purposed in my heart to give 10% and more when I can, that is based on scripture.

I know some who have purposed 20% and even more of their increase.

In 9:6 we see that if we sow sparingly we will reap sparingly, in other words, the more we give the greater the blessing.

Nowhere does it say to give of your increase this week if you can, you are expected to give to the work of Christ.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
This verse in no way allows you to give when you feel like giving or to give the amount you think is fair.
Actually, it does. It gives complete freedom to the believer. Pair that with the verse I quoted previously, "not grudgingly or under compulsion." Either there is compulsion to "give" a certain amount or percentage, or there is no compulsion. You can't have it both ways.

I have purposed in my heart to give 10% and more when I can, that is based on scripture.
As there is no Scripture that suggests we are to give 10% or more, your practice is not "based on scripture".

I know some who have purposed 20% and even more of their increase.
Great, but that has nothing to do with "tithing".

In 9:6 we see that if we sow sparingly we will reap sparingly, in other words, the more we give the greater the blessing.
Which, again, has nothing to do with "tithing".

Nowhere does it say to give of your increase this week if you can, you are expected to give to the work of Christ.
Nor have I suggested that's what it says.

What it says is "as he has decided in his heart". There is no percentage suggested.

Charlie24

Oct 31, 2021
Actually, it does. It gives complete freedom to the believer. Pair that with the verse I quoted previously, "not grudgingly or under compulsion." Either there is compulsion to "give" a certain amount or percentage, or there is no compulsion. You can't have it both ways.

As there is no Scripture that suggests we are to give 10% or more, your practice is not "based on scripture".

Great, but that has nothing to do with "tithing".

Which, again, has nothing to do with "tithing".

Nor have I suggested that's what it says.

What it says is "as he has decided in his heart". There is no percentage suggested.
The scripture you are denying is in Gen. and Malachi, as I have already shown relating to the tithe.

You wish to discontinue the tithe based on the Law. Go ahead, that's between you and God.

I wish blessing from God and will give that tithe (a tenth) of my increase as I receive it.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The scripture you are denying is in Gen. and Malachi, as I have already shown relating to the tithe.

You wish to discontinue the tithe based on the Law. Go ahead, that's between you and God.

I wish blessing from God and will give that tithe (a tenth) of my increase as I receive it.
The Law was discontinued at the cross; that’s God’s doing, not mine. Any blessings you receive from God are on the basis of faith, not whatever you happen to give. Again, I would encourage you to become familiar with the new covenant.

Charlie24

Oct 31, 2021
The Law was discontinued at the cross; that’s God’s doing, not mine. Any blessings you receive from God are on the basis of faith, not whatever you happen to give. Again, I would encourage you to become familiar with the new covenant.
"Thou shalt not steal" was that discontinued at the Cross? It was Law, right?

By your definition that commandment no longer exists.

There are some things that have carried over from the Old to the New.

The main carry over was justification by faith, as was seen in Abraham.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
It's not an issue of percentages or the amount you give. God looks for those who are free to give in their hearts. I can assure you that you will never regret giving, as long as it is in the right attitude.
I am far from wealthy, yet; I tithe and I give as I can. I know all the arguments for and against tithing, for they have been argued adlaudem here on CC. I do not care what others do. If they tithe, or not. If they give or not.

One day, we will all stand before the Lord, and we will answer to Him. On that day, I will answer I tithed as I could, and I gave as I could, and I did so not for personal recognition, but from a heart loving You Lord.

Others will have to determine their own answer, and live with His judgement.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
"Thou shalt not steal" was that discontinued at the Cross? It was Law, right?

By your definition that commandment no longer exists.

There are some things that have carried over from the Old to the New.

The main carry over was justification by faith, as was seen in Abraham.
Jesus reiterated most of the commandments. Tithing was never one of the commandments, and justification by faith was never part of the Law.

Charlie24

Oct 31, 2021
Jesus reiterated most of the commandments. Tithing was never one of the commandments, and justification by faith was never part of the Law.
Yea, if Jesus didn't say it, it doesn't apply. one of the all time favorites.

Justification by faith was seen by faith in the sacrifice of an innocent animal that represented Christ.

They were saved the same way under Law as we are under Grace, by faith in the sacrifice of Christ.

That fact was before Law, during Law, and after Law, which is my point.

In my opinion, the same applies to the tithe.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

Here's the passage from Malachi:

“Would anyone rob God? Yet you are robbing Me! But you say, ‘How have we robbed You?’ In tithes and [j]offerings. 9 You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing Me, the entire nation of you! 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and put Me to the test now in this,” says the Lord of armies, “if I do not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until [k]it overflows. 11 Then I will rebuke the devourer for you, so that it will not destroy the fruit of “Would anyone rob God? Yet you are robbing Me! But you say, ‘How have we robbed You?’ In tithes and [j]offerings. 9 You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing Me, the entire nation of you! 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and put Me to the test now in this,” says the Lord of armies, “if I do not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until [k]it overflows. 11 Then I will rebuke the devourer for you, so that it will not destroy the fruit of your ground; nor will the vine in the field prove fruitless to you,” says the Lord of armies. 12 “All the nations will call you blessed, for you will be a delightful land,” says the Lord of armies. ; nor will the vine in the field prove fruitless to you,” says the Lord of armies.

What "nation" are Christians? What "storehouse" do we have? What "ground" do Christians have? What "land" are Christians? This was written to ancient Israel.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Yea, if Jesus didn't say it, it doesn't apply. one of the all time favorites.

Justification by faith was seen by faith in the sacrifice of an innocent animal that represented Christ.

They were saved the same way under Law as we are under Grace, by faith in the sacrifice of Christ.

That fact was before Law, during Law, and after Law, which is my point.

In my opinion, the same applies to the tithe.
Which was never discussed as such in the New Testament. You're grasping at straws, and you have no sound biblical support for your position.

Tithing is no more part of the new covenant than the stoning of adulterers, the exclusion of lepers, or the wholesale slaughter of rams and bulls. The Law is not a smorgasbord from which you can drag over to the new covenant what bits suit you (or your pastor). Giving in the new covenant is entirely voluntary as to timing, amount, percentage, and purpose.

By the way, Abraham didn't even tithe from his own goods. Think on that before you respond further.

Dec 29, 2021
So the born-again Christian gives to support the local church when he chooses to? That is robbing God!

To suggest that tithing to support the church is keeping the Law is ridiculous!
Have you ever considered if the Local Church and Leadership were aligned with God, God would pay the bills, not the Members? And the Blessing would come from free will offerings.

Charlie24

Oct 31, 2021
Here's the passage from Malachi:

“Would anyone rob God? Yet you are robbing Me! But you say, ‘How have we robbed You?’ In tithes and [j]offerings. 9 You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing Me, the entire nation of you! 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and put Me to the test now in this,” says the Lord of armies, “if I do not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until [k]it overflows. 11 Then I will rebuke the devourer for you, so that it will not destroy the fruit of “Would anyone rob God? Yet you are robbing Me! But you say, ‘How have we robbed You?’ In tithes and [j]offerings. 9 You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing Me, the entire nation of you! 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and put Me to the test now in this,” says the Lord of armies, “if I do not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until [k]it overflows. 11 Then I will rebuke the devourer for you, so that it will not destroy the fruit of your ground; nor will the vine in the field prove fruitless to you,” says the Lord of armies. 12 “All the nations will call you blessed, for you will be a delightful land,” says the Lord of armies. ; nor will the vine in the field prove fruitless to you,” says the Lord of armies.

What "nation" are Christians? What "storehouse" do we have? What "ground" do Christians have? What "land" are Christians? This was written to ancient Israel.
It was written to believers! Not everything in the Old Testament has been abolished.

We now are brothers and sisters in Christ with the Old Testament saints.

They were saved the exact same way as we are now, by faith in the Messiah.

They looked forward to His sacrifice, we look back at His sacrifice.

Charlie24

Oct 31, 2021
Have you ever considered if the Local Church and Leadership were aligned with God, God would pay the bills, not the Members? And the Blessing would come from free will offerings.
I believe everything concerning God is based on faith from man. No faith-- no blessing.

God did not intend for some to give while others who could give don't!

That is not how faith works biblically.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Abraham and Jacob paid a tithe (a tenth) before the Law, Gen. 14:20/28:22, it carried over into the Law and many will say there is no reason why it shouldn't carry over after the Law.

I've heard preachers say that we are the sons and daughters of Abraham and Jacob by faith in Christ and the tithe applies to us as well.

It is my opinion that God does not leave it up to the individual as to whether they are able to give or not. He asks for a tenth as a minimum and anything above that is our choice.
Nowhere is tithing stated as mandatory in the NT. 1 Corinthians 16:2 states "portion". 2 Corinthians 8 is a helpful guide to how it can be done.

Having said all that, I personally give 1/10th of any "windfall" money I receive. I give more right now as my expenses are low. That will likely change soon. God desires that we be liberal. "Liberal" may be little for some or a lot for others.

The sooner Christians realise that 100% of our income is supplied by our heavenly Father, the better. As in the case of Ananias and Sapphira, we are at liberty to give or not. However, there is the principle of sowing and reaping. Those who are generous will be blessed by God, and not only financially.

Dec 29, 2021
I believe everything concerning God is based on faith from man. No faith-- no blessing.

God did not intend for some to give while others who could give don't!

That is not how faith works biblically.
Faith is unearned nor bought, but each of us have been given a portion and more than enough to move Mountains.

Charlie24

Oct 31, 2021
Faith is unearned nor bought, but each of us have been given a portion and more than enough to move Mountains.
Yes, and your portion is a minimum of 10%.

There is nothing in scripture that says the tithe has ended, it is assumed by some who are trying to escape the responsibility of it.