Today’s church’s misunderstandings

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
really we have services on Sunday because that is the day of the week Jesus Rose from the dead. WE Preach arisen Lord not a dead one.
Who told you Christ rose on Sunday? It isn't in scripture. It was DISCOVERED that he rose from the dead on Sunday. Do you think that the time Mary went to the tomb was so powerful that it could change creation? As Genesis describes creation the creation of the Sabbath was part of it.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The church today says that the Sabbath was cancelled.
Jesus cancelled the written code. That's in Colossians 2:14. The Sabbath is part of that code, and it is clearly identified two verses later.

The Lord gave us a new covenant, one we are told makes the old covenant obsolete.
"You" are told that because the Bible clearly says it, in Hebrews 8:13. If you don't like what the Bible says, take it up with God instead of making groundless accusations regarding the suspiciously anonymous "church today".

The church tells us that God knew he make a mistake so he cancelled the old covenant.
Which church? Which pastor? Where is your evidence?

The church goes on and on about the mistakes the Lord has made.
Yet you haven't provided a single quotation where any Christian "goes on an on" as you claim.

The church tells us OT scripture can be in error.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you have any.

R

Reformyourself

Oh I see, well the thing with people like that especially someone who is meant to guide and help lead his flock is maybe people do look up to them to much because I once went to a sermon to try a church out and this pastor was one of those if you sin at all you are not saved kind of preachers and there were children with their families listening to this.

I stood up and confronted him about all of this especially with those children being there and he demanded I leave and repent for my sins for attacking the truth the entire church even sided with him without having any thought to all I said.

If people do not know how to take everything with a grain of salt and blindly follow a leader then well... yeah....
I don’t go to church now. Don’t even know which one to choose 😐 just read The Bible. Maybe I’m better off ??

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Who told you Christ rose on Sunday? It isn't in scripture. It was DISCOVERED that he rose from the dead on Sunday. Do you think that the time Mary went to the tomb was so powerful that it could change creation? As Genesis describes creation the creation of the Sabbath was part of it.
I haven't done any research on the subject but I know some believe it was on saturday as well, to know for sure we have to look at the jewish feast days and when they land on the calendar. Pentecost is 50 days from the day Jesus rose from the dead but that also is a fickle holiday as it depends on the lunar cycle on which day Pentecost offically begins

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I don’t go to church now. Don’t even know which one to choose 😐 just read The Bible. Maybe I’m better off ??
Well as much as I love being on cc I also am a people person so I like to be around other believers as well I actually was so excited to be able to finally go to church today that last night I couldn't sleep until 5 am and overslept and sooo mad XD

R

Reformyourself

Well as much as I love being on cc I also am a people person so I like to be around other believers as well I actually was so excited to be able to finally go to church today that last night I couldn't sleep until 5 am and overslept and sooo mad XD
About 10 years ago, I wrote an essay about the early church and something struck me ‘they devoted themselves to the apostles teaching, fellowship, breaking of bread and prayer AND The Lord added to their number daily’ I tried to do those four things (religious I know) but now I can’t find a church that does them! I’ve been doing two-three of them, but can’t get the fellowship. You’re v. blessed if you’ve found it 😁
Ps. Fellowship for me is talking about Jesus/Bible etc.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The church tells us that God knew he make a mistake so he cancelled the old covenant.
Why do you twist things to suit your agenda? No one said God made a mistake. God told Israel that because of their disobedience, He would establish a New Covenant.

Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. (Heb 8:9)

Furthermore, the Sabbath was given to Israel UNDER THE OLD COVENANT. So since you refuse to believe God, you will also be in disobedience by insisting on Sabbath-keeping. Looks like you have been opposing God and Christ for a long time.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Jesus cancelled the written code. That's in Colossians 2:14. The Sabbath is part of that code, and it is clearly identified two verses later.

"You" are told that because the Bible clearly says it, in Hebrews 8:13. If you don't like what the Bible says, take it up with God instead of making groundless accusations regarding the suspiciously anonymous "church today".

Yet you haven't provided a single quotation where any Christian "goes on an on" as you claim.

The church tells us OT scripture can be in error.

I don't think you have any.[/QUOTE]Thanks for answering, I was hoping you would.

Col. 2:14 having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross.

This is telling us that Christ forgives our sin by grace, it doesn’t say that God took away any guidance or as you call it, law.

Heb 8:13 By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

This is exactly as I have been saying, the old covenant is obsolete. It is not cancelled. God does not cancel and take back any promises He makes to us as you keep insisting. There were promises in the old covenant. The new covenant works much better, the old is obsolete and will soon go away. Surely you know what obsolete means.

I am simply not going back over old posts like “not under law” means we don’t have to listen to the law any more. We know you don’t think the church has any errors, so be it.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Why do you twist things to suit your agenda? No one said God made a mistake. God told Israel that because of their disobedience, He would establish a New Covenant.

Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. (Heb 8:9)

Furthermore, the Sabbath was given to Israel UNDER THE OLD COVENANT. So since you refuse to believe God, you will also be in disobedience by insisting on Sabbath-keeping. Looks like you have been opposing God and Christ for a long time.
Why do you only discuss scripture by adding blame and accusations? You are refusing scripture, actually, I am quoting scripture and now!!! I "refuse to believe". The theme of this post is to believe scripture. That is not twisting things.

acts5_29

Apr 17, 2020
So what do you believe about the Sabbath? Do you believe Genesis 2:3 is an error or the truth?
I believe that unless you were meeting in church and worshipping on Saturday all throughout the Covid crisis, then you need to take the log out of your own eye before taking out the speck of people who observed it on a Sunday instead of a Saturday.

And that you also forfeit your right to log onto this forum and obviously pick a fight, if you yourself did not meet in church every Saturday since the covid crisis began.

Feb 1, 2020
With all the other heresies the churches of brick and mortar got going on I really feel like the day you can't make me work is the least of their problems.

Mar 4, 2020
As members of the body of Christ, we are part of the church. It is our duty to trust in Jesus alone, apart from our imperfections, apart from the letter of the law, for the salvation of us who believe. It is also our duty to study the scriptures to find guidance for holy living and doctrinal truth.

It can be hard to find the right church but I am confident they exist. Ever consider just meeting up with your fellow Christian friends and having a worship service and Bible study?

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I believe that unless you were meeting in church and worshipping on Saturday all throughout the Covid crisis, then you need to take the log out of your own eye before taking out the speck of people who observed it on a Sunday instead of a Saturday.

And that you also forfeit your right to log onto this forum and obviously pick a fight, if you yourself did not meet in church every Saturday since the covid crisis began.
This post's purpose is not to order the behavior of anyone. Or is it to cast blame. The object of the post is to determine the truths of scripture, and I pointed to some things church teaches that are not truth of scripture.

I was hoping replies would prove the church's stand to me, but as I have explained in my replies I do not find I am wrong.

acts5_29

Apr 17, 2020
This post's purpose is not to order the behavior of anyone. Or is it to cast blame. The object of the post is to determine the truths of scripture, and I pointed to some things church teaches that are not truth of scripture.

I was hoping replies would prove the church's stand to me, but as I have explained in my replies I do not find I am wrong.
What is the Scriptural justification for Seventh Day Adventist not meeting for church at all on Saturdays during the covid crisis? If God ordained it so strictly that it absolutely has to be Saturday, then surely no man can undo that God ordained that you actually meet for worship on Saturday all the more.

Feb 29, 2020
The church today says that the Sabbath was cancelled.
Romans 14:
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Colossians 2:
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 which are a shadow of things to come...

The seventh day rest is referred to as the believer resting from his works and laboring to entering into God's rest by belief; belief in the gospel. (Hebrews 3; Hebrews 4).

They say the sacrificial system didn’t work at all for atonement of sin even though scripture tells us it did.
The old testament sacrificial system offered forgiveness, but not removal of sins (Hebrews 9:9; 10:2). Christ's sacrifice took sins away from the believers conscience.

You are being broad with the term "churches".

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
As members of the body of Christ, we are part of the church. It is our duty to trust in Jesus alone, apart from our imperfections, apart from the letter of the law, for the salvation of us who believe. It is also our duty to study the scriptures to find guidance for holy living and doctrinal truth.

It can be hard to find the right church but I am confident they exist. Ever consider just meeting up with your fellow Christian friends and having a worship service and Bible study?
Right on! It is up to us to study and obey best we can, but it would be so foolish to say all churches are not right in something so we turn our back on them and refuse fellowship with Christians, only judge them.

We are to discuss God's ways and judge what is true of the Lord as people are doing in these posts, but not to judge people or even the church as it belongs to the Lord. The true church is perfect.

CS1

May 23, 2012
first day of the week it's in the word of God :)

on ‘the first day of the week’ as the day on which Jesus rose from the dead.” Mark 16:2, Luke 24:1, John 20:1, Matthew 28:1, Mark 16:9–20 and John 20:19

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
"Micaiah-imla, post: 4286346, member: 294550"]Romans 14:
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Blik says: This scripture makes no mention of a Sabbath

Colossians 2:
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 which are a shadow of things to come...

Blik says: Paul wrote this to the Colossians because gnostics were teaching do not handle, taste, or touch--against celebrating the feasts. Paul said to follow Christ, not them. If we follow Christ we obey the Lord. You must read the whole scripture to understand, not pick out here and there.

The seventh day rest is referred to as the believer resting from his works and laboring to entering into God's rest by belief; belief in the gospel. (Hebrews 3; Hebrews 4).

Blik says: You are adding to scripture by saying that scripture tells us to cancel the Sabbath because we rest in Christ. It is not right to add words to scripture.

The old testament sacrificial system offered forgiveness, but not removal of sins (Hebrews 9:9; 10:2). Christ's sacrifice took sins away from the believers conscience.

Blik says: Scripture tells us that Christ fulfilled, Christ made complete, the sacrificial system. It was not complete until Christ fulfilled it.

You are being broad with the term "churches".[/QUOTE]

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
first day of the week it's in the word of God :)

on ‘the first day of the week’ as the day on which Jesus rose from the dead.” Mark 16:2, Luke 24:1, John 20:1, Matthew 28:1, Mark 16:9–20 and John 20:19
Do you really think that God tells us one thing in Genesis (scripture) and a completely different thing in other scriptures? If that was so then scripture would not be truth at all.

acts5_29

Apr 17, 2020
Before the Covid crisis even came, these Sabbath debates just went constantly round-and-round, in circles.

Then when Covid came and the Church hit a little bit of adversity, it was the Pentecostals who shined--not the Seventh Day Adventists. It was the Pentecostals who boldly continued to meet on Sunday, virus or no virus. Stay-at-home order or no. They were the ones getting sick, arrested, and on the news for the cause of Christ.

Meanwhile, the same people who were earlier going around telling everyone else how wrong they were because they observed Sabbath on the "wrong" day--when an itty bitty virus comes along, suddenly those same people are off cowering at home not even observing Sabbath at all! And now they're going to have the audacity to crawl out of their rabbit holes to try and "convict" the rest of us about Sabbath's exact day again? Come on, man. Walk the walk.