Tolkien Nerd Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

Tinuviel

Well, the team has made it through the mines of Moria, but this time Gandalf bested the Bal Rog and he is still with the company in Lothlorien. ... Not really.

The company is gathering to leave Lothlorien and head on down the river.
...wait, you didn't tell us you were RE-DOING the series!

You must have just read one of my favorite lines in the whole first book: "I pass the test. I will diminish, and go into the West and remain Galadriel." (of course, the line isn't much without the lead-up, but you get the idea).

Last edited by a moderator:

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Is this thread for Tolkien nerds, or token nerds.

I just need to know.

T

Tinuviel

Is this thread for Tolkien nerds, or token nerds.

I just need to know.
No token nerds allowed :mad: lol. Wait...does token nerds mean you are nerdy about tokens, or a representation of nerds?

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
No token nerds allowed :mad: lol. Wait...does token nerds mean you are nerdy about tokens, or a representation of nerds?
Since this is not a token nerd thread,
I don't have to answer that.

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
The tale continues:

They received their gifts from the lady Galadrial. They made it down the river. They had a brief encounter with the Orcs and Gollum. They made it past (not "passed") the rapids. Now they are approaching the falls and the end of Vol 1.

Sam is about to cut part of his finger off.

WHAT? ... Wait! ... No, not really.

T

Tinuviel

The tale continues:

They received their gifts from the lady Galadrial. They made it down the river. They had a brief encounter with the Orcs and Gollum. They made it past (not "passed") the rapids. Now they are approaching the falls and the end of Vol 1.

Sam is about to cut part of his finger off.

WHAT? ... Wait! ... No, not really.
Where now Earnest? A few of my siblings and I have been reading through LotR chapter by chapter and sending comments via email, but life got in the way and we haven't been progressing lately. Ironically, we've been spending weeks and weeks on the chapter Treebeard. Ho, hm, let's not be hasty!

Pipp

Majestic Llamacorn
Sep 17, 2013
Georgia
I like Samwise... I can relate to being the fat hobbit best friend/(overseer, if we're honest)

T

Tinuviel

I like Samwise... I can relate to being the fat hobbit best friend/(overseer, if we're honest)
Actually, Sam kind of starts out as friend, or maybe even mentee, but as Frodo fades, he becomes an overseer. Only Sam. It breaks my heart when he finally realizes in Mordor that there is no going back. But even then, he's not as hopeless as Frodo. It's funny, because Sam is one of the most dynamic characters, yet he is the most steadfast and unchanging. (Sam is my current LotR study :)).

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
The story continues ...

Merry and Pippin have met Treebeard and the ents are now marching on Isengard. The "three hunters" (Aragorn, Legolis, and Gimli) have met the "resurrected" Gandalf and have just freed Theodin King from his evil fugue. And Theodin is about to kick Wormtongue out of his service.

I can't wait to see what happens next. lol

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
By reviving this thread, I press my claim as King of the Misc forum. The Steward can be at rest and the people may rejoice.

J

Jenny23

By reviving this thread, I press my claim as King of the Misc forum. The Steward can be at rest and the people may rejoice.
You’re the worst. And by worst I mean the best King of Misc. How does it feel to be in such a position of great power?

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
It feels great, but I wish it included all the usual perks- feasts, tournaments, trumpets, hog-hunting, and the occasional war with my meddlesome cousin. The closest thing I have to the last one is @Sackcloth-N-Ashes.

You’re the worst. And by worst I mean the best King of Misc. How does it feel to be in such a position of great power?

J

Jenny23

It feels great, but I wish it included all the usual perks- feasts, tournaments, trumpets, hog-hunting, and the occasional war with my meddlesome cousin. The closest thing I have to the last one is @Sackcloth-N-Ashes.
*Stuffs roast, pottages, fruit, wine, bread through phone screen while chasing hogs down an enchanted forest, and simultaneously warns you of the plot by your envious cousin who is planning to otherthrow and steal your misc. forumdom throne*

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
You have shown yourself to be an able courtier, Lady Jenny. I shall grant you a Misc Fiefdom in recognition of your service. You are now Countess Jenny of the Books Thread. May you enjoy the privileges of your rank.

*Stuffs roast, pottages, fruit, wine, bread through phone screen while chasing hogs down an enchanted forest, and simultaneously warns you of the plot by your envious cousin who is planning to otherthrow and steal your misc. forumdom throne*

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I just bought the Hobbit for my school library realising they only have the graphic novel version. Which is really old.

But I didnt like the movie they made of it. Too long! And I have been to Hobbiton.

Does this make me a tolkien nerd? I live not far from middle earth.

My only complaint is there arent enough female characters. Its like the smurfs. All these boy smurfs and only one smurfette.

M

morefaithrequired

King of the Misc sounds very Tolkien
I'm more Drama Queen of the Misc. or Annoying Narcissist of the Misc. ANOTM

J

Jenny23

You have shown yourself to be an able courtier, Lady Jenny. I shall grant you a Misc Fiefdom in recognition of your service. You are now Countess Jenny of the Books Thread. May you enjoy the privileges of your rank.
Thank you. I will await my gold proceeds from the King. You can wire them to me at [email protected].