Tongues - Conclusion

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
1 Korinther 14:1 Strebet nach der Liebe! Fleißiget euch der geistlichen Gaben, am meisten aber, daß ihr weissagen möget!

14:2 Denn der mit Zungen redet, der redet nicht den Menschen, sondern Gott; denn ihm hört niemand zu, im Geist aber redet er die Geheimnisse.

14:3 Wer aber weissagt, der redet den Menschen zur Besserung und zur Ermahnung und zur Tröstung.

14:4 Wer mit Zungen redet, der bessert sich selbst; wer aber weissagt, der bessert die Gemeinde.

14:5 Ich wollte, daß ihr alle mit Zungen reden könntet; aber viel mehr, daß ihr weissagt. Denn der da weissagt, ist größer, als der mit Zungen redet; es sei denn, daß er's auch auslege, daß die Gemeinde davon gebessert werde.


I suppose I should translate so you guys who don't speak tongues will understand.......sigh.....


1 Corinthians
14



1 .) Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
2 .) For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
3 .) But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
4 .) He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
5 .) I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
 
p_rehbein

that illustrates what Paul was saying in 1 Cor 14. All he is talking about is translating , and teaching....

We need to realize that 1 Cor 14, is not something to be made into spiritual event. Especially a confusing one. I cant mention enough that Act's 2, there are no unknowns there.

If we hold our emotions and Imaginations in check, then we can allow the Bible to teach, and Paul's teaching the opposite of confusion .
Instead of making his letter into something it is not; allow the Bible to say what it is saying.
 
Last edited:
I have determined that the gift of tongues today is esteemed higher by some as the greatest spiritual gift one can have, because it's so extraordinary and noticeable. That means that it is being abused even though it is still a gift for today as it was during the time of Paul. Whatever is spoken must be understood.

1 Corinthians 14:5-6 (KJV)
[SUP]5 [/SUP]I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
[SUP]6 [/SUP]Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?
Why is it that people bold "for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues" but do not bold "except he interpret"? Because when one speaks in tongues and interprets the church does receive edification.

Luke 6:45 (KJV)
[SUP]45 [/SUP]A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Some say they have a prayer tongue that is different than speaking in tongues, even though they don't know what they are saying themselves, but claiming it as a spiritual uplifting experience. If praying is going to be an uplifting experience, it has to be accompanied with understanding to be fruitful to the one praying, as Paul teaches.

1 Corinthians 14:14 (KJV)
[SUP]14 [/SUP]For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
What is it then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the understanding also.
1 Corinthians 14:37-38 (KJV)
[SUP]37 [/SUP]If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.
[SUP]38 [/SUP]But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.
Wherefore brethren, covet to prophesy and forbid not to speak with tongues. Let all things be done decently and in order.

There is ONE gift - the gift of holy spirit. This gift has nine manifestations given to every man for profit - there is a profit to man in word of wisdom, word of knowledge; another profit to man in faith, and gifts of healing; another profit in the working of miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, different kinds of tongues, and interpretation of tongues. The only manifestation listed as a gift is healing - all healing is a gift from God.
:)
 
I thought you were using the Isaiah scripture in support of what some people are doing today . I'm not sure what other reason you could have been referencing Isaiah ; you didn't say.

I think Isaiah is teaching about a unrelated issue.
Paul was expounded apon the prophet Isaiah when he quoted the prophet but by no means am I saying that this a holy thing
11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.*
(Is 28:11 KJV)
The prophet was talking directly to God's choose nations on how they will not only be mocked but will relearn there identity from other nations when was given to by the most high

21 They have moved me to jealousy with that which is not God; they have provoked me to anger with their vanities: and I will move them to jealousy with those which are not a people; I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation.
(Deut 32:21 KJV)
Romans 11:111 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. (Rom 11:11 KJV)
 
Notuptome : Don't forget the Italian band ? They were gentiles. There are more scriptures that are along those lines; and they received the gift of the Holy Spirit.

But, the gift of thee H.S, in Acts 2, is not what Paul is taking about in 1 Cor 14. as talked about in the posts below. Joel the prophet was to Christians . Specifically Christians living in the end times at the appearance of Antichrist.
I am aware of the instances where Gentiles spoke in tongues but in every instance there were Jews present and the purpose was to demonstrate to them that this was indeed the same Holy Spirit dwelling in them that was in the Jews. This is recorded in Acts when an account is given to James and the other apostles in Jerusalem. Paul was reporting on how God was saving gentiles through his ministry and it was the self same Holy Spirit that fell upon Peter and the other disciples at Pentecost.

For the cause of Christ
Roge
 
Why is it that people bold "for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues" but do not bold "except he interpret"? Because when one speaks in tongues and interprets the church does receive edification.


What is it then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the understanding also.

Wherefore brethren, covet to prophesy and forbid not to speak with tongues. Let all things be done decently and in order.

There is ONE gift - the gift of holy spirit. This gift has nine manifestations given to every man for profit - there is a profit to man in word of wisdom, word of knowledge; another profit to man in faith, and gifts of healing; another profit in the working of miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, different kinds of tongues, and interpretation of tongues. The only manifestation listed as a gift is healing - all healing is a gift from God.
:)

In my opinion only I suppose, you may be misunderstanding the intent of Paul's words/teachings here........but, that may just be me...........

Here is another thought, when discussing the speaking in tongues thingy, why do people not include the 13th Chapter of 1st Corinthians? Seems to me if we are to best understand Paul's teachings on this, we should include ALL of his teachings shouldn't we?

.............just saying...........

[h=1]1 Corinthians
13[/h]
1 .) Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 .) And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3 .) And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 .) Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 .) Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 .) Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 .) Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8 .) Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 .) For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 .) But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 .) When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 .) For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13 .) And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.