TONGUES is a precious gift from God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
what has that got to do with the price of tea in China?

why are people being ignorant in your opinion? Isaiah was an actual prophet and believers are not ancient Israel

are we preaching tongues and gifts or Jesus? Jesus said if He is lifted up, He will draw all men (mankind) to Him. Stop blaming all the ignorant people and see this thread and all the other threads for what they are. One big nasty disagreement on TONGUES that separates, confuses and insults

there is NO comparison between OT prophets and the miasma of misinformation of what passes for a prophet today

I guess I'm preaching it today brother, and guess what? NO ONE IS LISTENING, but that is what God has put on my heart for YEARS now and I am not a prophet.

obstinate people. well you got that right anyway :rolleyes:
@PaulChristensen Just as an FYI, I think Sophie has me on ignore. So she might not even see what I'd posted, making it seem to her like your post was answering nothing at all.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
I shared these thoughts a few days ago and last night I was given Scripture and meaning towards these thoughts.

Revelation 3:10
10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation that shall come on all the world, to try them that dwell on the earth.

Isaiah 26:20-21
20 Come, my people, enter thou into thy chambers, and shut thy doors about thee: hide thyself as it were for a little moment, until the indignation be overpast.

21 For, behold, the Lord cometh out of his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity: the earth also shall disclose her blood, and shall no more cover her slain.

Most people think Revelation 3:10 means the Church is Rapture'd and won't face the hour of Temptation.

But the Holy Spirit instructed me I am facing these trials that have been more severe and greater recently so I can [overcome] the Hour of Temptation. Think of the Hour of Temptation in terms of [[the most severe peer pressure to Sin and Cave In to be like the World]].

I am going to suggest, if the World does not attack you when you are out and about, YOU NEED TO SEEK GOD IN A DESPERATE KIND OF WAY!

If people are not making fun of you, talking trash about you, lying about you, there is something desperately WRONG with Your walk in God. We are this CLOSE to the END of this Age and if the World looks at you and doesn't feel threatened, it's because you are closer to the World than you are to God!
I like that you posted those verses together because I think it shows you have a fairly good grasp of what's going on. It's being close (in the secret place of his pavilion, under his wings, shut in, etc) with God that provides the protection... rather than being physically distant from what is happening.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
I made it to page 28, but I'm giving up now. There's just too much putting each other down.
Making it 28 pages is impressive. Sorry that threads on Tongues often go that way. Sorry to see you go if you had interest or comments to share, but getting frustrated is understandable.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
If you intended to say contradiction then so be it - if you intended to say hypocrisy then I would encourage you to choose your words more carefully..

Romans 6:6 Galatians 2:20

The Father has no intention of improving you - and if you mean that the renewing of the mind is an improvement then you have missed that it is in order to prove that perfect and acceptable will of God. And the foundation of that is Romans 6:6 and its outworking is Galatians 2:20. I wouldn't mind all this improvement myself if we were talking to babes in Christ but when those who endlessly improve have been in Christ for years and are still improving then they may want to consider who is benefiting from their supposed improvement.

God doesn't want to improve you - He wants to have you put to death daily so that He can live through you to the benefit of others.
Hypocrisy meaning in the use of the premise. Hypocrisy as meaning "the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense".

Granted, if your focus is on the word "fix", perhaps I could have used something better or even just gone straight to the "cast out" aspect of the need for improvement. My intent was towards "If you want to do better in life, you're going to need to pray in the spirit because your mind and intellect are faulty and untrustworthy.. And if you want to benefit (edify) others, there's probably going to be the need to practice self-edification." (Even though I'm guessing you cringe at the use of the prefix and idea of "self".)

I consider you a brother because you also have the Holy Ghost, but I think you focus a little TOO much on how people word things. (Even though I do appreciate the importance of accurate wording.) As long as I am (or anyone else is) speaking... unless specifically aided by the Holy Ghost.... there will be some errors in the wording.

We can err to the right hand or to the left. Most people choose to be too lax about wording. Some (a significantly lower number) choose to be too exacting. I'm suggesting you have a tendency towards the latter grouping.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
I made it to page 28, but I'm giving up now. There's just too much putting each other down.
It seems that you are interested in learning more about..
- Speaking in Tongues & Spiritual Gifts.
---
My advice is to find & read/study..online articles & books.
- On 'Spiritual Gifts & Speaking in Tongues.'
- Kindle e books, etc..
---
My experience/learning about 'Spiritual Gifts' started..
- Reading books..on the 'Spiritual Gifts.'
- in 1970's.
---
Not sure..the 'discussions/arguments' going on here..can be much helpful to you.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Indeed! Talking "about" experiencing Him leaves us short of our goal of experiencing Him.
For many I know it is when they are alone with Him in prayer and offer to blank their own thoughts and offer the control their words to Him as He knows what we need to pray for better than we. When you get it right, and you will if done in humility and surrender, He will pour out His power in recognition and appreciation , from your head to your toes.:)(y)

CS1

May 23, 2012
I must be missing something somewhere because I'm sure you wouldn't say that human intellect is king, not the word of God
to some intellect is king not the word of God.

CS1

May 23, 2012
It seems you dont understand me. Instead you just ignore what I said.
But this is typical.
My statement has nothing to do with Emma!
Of course I believe that God is doing miracles and wonders today and he also heals people.
But he heals today not every sick believer. As your statement suggest.
It is possible to be a witness to other people in talking and acting as child of God. Is what I said. This is biblical and I would expect that as bible reading child of God you would know it.
Of Course, your statement had nothing to do with The testimony of Emma, you have no Biblical refute for what was said about Her miracle. I have not even suggested God heals every sick believer but he can, and I don't think you know healing is Biblical.

I don't think you know the difference between healing and miracle.
You say: it's possible to be a witness to other people in talking and acting as child of God."

it is not possible, it is what we are supposed to do. Also, we are to bring the Kingdom of God to people as Jesus said to Preach it or proclaim it. Meaning we are to demonstrate it to a lost world. Living a good moral life before people and not sharing Jesus is like living having received a gift from God and hoping those who see you live well, will come to know Jesus without you sharing How he saved you. You do not see Jesus doing that, nor did the Apostles. They spoke and prayed and God Confirmed His word through them as HE will do today. How does ONE "act" like a child of God? Please share how your life has been so powerful to a lost world that people see it and have been saved?

Rhomphaeam

Dec 14, 2021
England
www.nblc.church
Hypocrisy meaning in the use of the premise. Hypocrisy as meaning "the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense".

Granted, if your focus is on the word "fix", perhaps I could have used something better or even just gone straight to the "cast out" aspect of the need for improvement. My intent was towards "If you want to do better in life, you're going to need to pray in the spirit because your mind and intellect are faulty and untrustworthy.. And if you want to benefit (edify) others, there's probably going to be the need to practice self-edification." (Even though I'm guessing you cringe at the use of the prefix and idea of "self".)

I consider you a brother because you also have the Holy Ghost, but I think you focus a little TOO much on how people word things. (Even though I do appreciate the importance of accurate wording.) As long as I am (or anyone else is) speaking... unless specifically aided by the Holy Ghost.... there will be some errors in the wording.

We can err to the right hand or to the left. Most people choose to be too lax about wording. Some (a significantly lower number) choose to be too exacting. I'm suggesting you have a tendency towards the latter grouping.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby
Romans 6:6 Galatians 2:20

The Father has no intention of improving you. The foundation of that is Romans 6:6 and its outworking is Galatians 2:20.

How few words will get us to the point?

Rhomphaeam

Dec 14, 2021
England
www.nblc.church
And if you want to benefit (edify) others, there's probably going to be the need to practice self-edification." (Even though I'm guessing you cringe at the use of the prefix and idea of "self".)
If Pilgrim walked a thousand leagues, o’er coals and shards of broken pain.
If once to look the narrow way, with questioned hope and self restraint.
If right and left were set before, and straight the way made good and clear.
With ever thoughts of ease did labour on, refusing all the Cross to bear.

What profit in these things would find, a man with no distain for fleshy life?
What purpose in these things would show, if comprehending nought but certain woes?
To wink sweet vanity and self repose, discomfort all and looks of being shamed,
Take nothing more than foolish gain, and in it all be found alone?

To press with joy the narrow way, makes nothing sure its course ne’er run.
Nor left nor right but straight and true, will of itself accomplish none.
Except ye first conceive to know, what lies ahead this way to go,
And by such choosing grasp this truth, that Christ Himself bore man’s reproof.

To look ahead in purpose straight, a profit for our Lord to reap.
It will be found in certain measure, the fool has run himself to gain.
But gain for self and none for Christ, is gain not all but gain for one.
Though gain had been as He did gain, would gain for all and gain indeed.

Ahead the road is made “The Cross” and so The Cross is sought for hope.
Faith and Truth that in His body won, the cost of life was borne in full.
And there is set another measure, the scales of which weigh works and deeds.
Now will that man take more concern, to labour well by Christ indeed.

Walk on walk on a thousand leagues, we labour now no more concerned.
With worthless purpose vain conceit, with faithless thoughts and foolish faith.
Cast down to furrowed ground made good, where seed will die and broken, grow.
Thirty, sixty and an hundred fold, thy portion Lord thy harvest knows.

And when by faith at journey on, obedience still remains and hopes.
Ne’er left nor right but straight and true, the fullness of thy servant makes.
To look and then to comprehend, great weights and scales are set before.
In one last cry in Hope secure. to throw ourselves upon thy rest.

For though we walk ten thousand leagues, or bear The Cross as set before.
It is The Cross behind us now, that Christ our Lord and Saviour bore.
What count we now our little done, if done in strength and of our own?
If not His strength but ours we labour, we would have laboured not at all.

Tis all His gain tis all His good. Ours the chaff before the wind.
Would better yet to labour not, than labour false ne’er true to Him.
When harvest comes and wheat and tares, are by His word made clear,
We find that tares are we and sure. what wail and cry, what gnash of teeth.

Consider Christ and all His efforts, consider Christ His labours done.
Consider God His purpose known, to bring us all to Christ His Son.
With selfish thoughts and ease we see the loss which faithless labour proves.
Consider Christ in Truth and Hope, gave His life that we might choose.

Though choice by Christ will not in measure, of just one soul by foolish labour.
It will by many as the sand, which would not go that narrow way.
And having chosen Christ and all. let Christ and all be to our choice.
Made certain by our choosing Him. The narrow way of Christ at last.

Rhomphaeam

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
I wouldn't suggest reading books and articles to learn about spiritual gifts and speaking in tongues. There are many counterfeits out there trying to make money. Writing books is a great way to make money.

We have a living book. Read that and sincerely pray and ask the Lord about it.

Another thing I have a question about, and maybe some of you may be able to answer.

How on earth do you say you can set a time and time limit to speak in tongues? Like someone said they made a plan to speak in tongues for an hour a day.

Speaking in tongues is a gift of the Spirit and is brought on by the Spirit.

I mean, yes, I can say I'm going to pray for an hour each day and submit to the Lord and the Spirit and let Him have control and whatever happens happens .

How can one say or make out a plan that they are going to speak in tongues for an hour each day?

It is a gift of the Spirit. So wouldn't that be like saying I'm going to heal 2 people a day, give out 3 prophecies, perform 5 miracles and/or etc. We are not in control of the gifts of the Spirit....the Spirit is in control.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Another thing I have a question about, and maybe some of you may be able to answer.

How on earth do you say you can set a time and time limit to speak in tongues? Like someone said they made a plan to speak in tongues for an hour a day.

Speaking in tongues is a gift of the Spirit and is brought on by the Spirit.

I mean, yes, I can say I'm going to pray for an hour each day and submit to the Lord and the Spirit and let Him have control and whatever happens happens .

How can one say or make out a plan that they are going to speak in tongues for an hour each day?

It is a gift of the Spirit. So wouldn't that be like saying I'm going to heal 2 people a day, give out 3 prophecies, perform 5 miracles and/or etc. We are not in control of the gifts of the Spirit....the Spirit is in control.
There is a difference in praying in tongues, and operating in the Spiritual Gift of tongues that is to be Interpreted by one with that particular gift. The first is for self-edification whereas the Spiritual Gift of tongues when interpreted is for edification of the church body.

I did not fully understand how the two differed until God used me in the operation of the Spiritual Gift of tongues in the congregation. The following personal experience may help in clarification of the two:

I received the baptism of the Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues when I was very young. During prayer, my language changes to tongues as well at times when I am singing. (1 Cor. 14:15) The Holy Spirit does not take over a person's spirit. Those who speak in tongues can start and stop speaking of they own accord.

About ten years later God had me operate in the Spiritual gift of tongues that was interpreted by another for edification of the church body. I had not been seeking the Spiritual Gift, however, while praising God in the worship service He decided to flow through me and speak a message to the congregation.

As I was praising God I could feel His presence stronger than in times past; so strong in fact, I sensed something was definitely different but had no idea what was going on. As I praised the Lord someone to my left began to speak in tongues. I remember thinking Lord if that is what you wanted me to do I would have done that. Immediately the individual stopped speaking. I felt what can only be described as an internal explosion; a feeling of complete fullness that my body could no longer contain. To my utter dismay the fullness began pouring out in the form of tongues. There I was, normally the shy, quiet one, loudly proclaiming half of a message that was afterward interpreted by another. I say half, because the interpretation began, and part way through the message there was a pause, after the pause the message continued. The proclaimed message began with the other individual and was picked up and concluded through me.

On the drive home I could not help re-living the incident over, and over in my mind. I was amazed at what had occurred. I questioned the Lord about the explosive feeling. His answer was, “I consumed the sacrifice.” I was in awe. I realized that God would only use my vocal cords to speak to His people if I was willing for Him to do so.

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
I wouldn't suggest reading books and articles to learn about spiritual gifts and speaking in tongues
As I mentioned..on my post,
- My experience..on Spiritual Gifts..started reading books.
- It opened the door..
- I still go back to those books..again.
---
People experience/learn..'Spiritual Gifts'..through many ways.
* At the meetings, teaching/workshop, reading the Bible, books, etc..
---
There are some books..which can be helpful..
- In understanding.. the basics of Spiritual Gifts.
---
It seems that Kathryn Louis (read her post) was disappointed.
- From this thread..arguments..going on.
---
That is why I gave my advice/suggestion.
---
My view/perspective is that many threads(including this thread) on 'Bible Discussion Forum'..are
- For people..who have their Biblical & Theological stance/position.
That is why..people can get into..arguments.
- Sometimes..hair-splitting argument.
---
Learning/experiencing Spiritual Gifts..is still ongoing/continuing..
- During my spiritual journey..from 1970's.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are the 4 best books I know on receiving Holy Spirit and growing in His working in us and through us.
blessings

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
- It opened the door..
---
---
---
---
---
My view/perspective is that many threads(including this thread) on 'Bible Discussion Forum'..are
---
I agree with @1ofthem. There are so many unbiblical ideas floating around about speaking in tongues, as well as any other biblical subject. The bible itself contains all the answers. (2 Tim. 3:16) According to Jesus the gift of the Holy Ghost is available for all those who ask. (Luke 11:13)

KarynLouise

Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
- It opened the door..
---
---
---
---
---
---
You know, it's not just disagreeing, it's putting each other down. And just because you think someone put you down doesn't mean it's okay to retaliate in kind. Most of the time the one that's being retaliated against didn't even mean to be so hateful as the person received it

Dec 29, 2021
You know, it's not just disagreeing, it's putting each other down. And just because you think someone put you down doesn't mean it's okay to retaliate in kind. Most of the time the one that's being retaliated against didn't even mean to be so hateful as the person received it
If I may interject something.

When the Pharisees said the Power of Jesus was by Satan, Jesus came unglued and told them they were Blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Many of the times there is disagreement in the discussion of Speaking in Tongues, is because someone is calling the Gifts of the Holy Spirit DEMONIC, and we come unglued just like Jesus did.

O

Oblio

If there was such thing as the gift of arguing, we might get somewhere!

KarynLouise

Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
But honestly, i gave up on reading all 66 pages because you all just keep saying the same things over and over.

Dec 29, 2021
If there was such thing as the gift of arguing, we might get somewhere!
Just like Jesus didn't get very far in persuading the Pharisees, we aren't going to do any better.

Jesus eventually called them men full of DEAD BONES and Vipers and Liars [which is like cussing like a Sailor without cuss words].

Personally, I believe in following the [all] Examples of Christ [for all things] and when it comes towards the ENEMY!!