TONGUES

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2009
every one I have been in or even heard about, has said that tongues is the evidence of being saved and if you don't talk in tongues you are not saved, where are you from???
I am from virginia. I go to a Church of God which is and pentecostal denomination very similar to the Assemblies of God, neither of which believe you must be baptized in the Holy Spirit or speak in tongues to be saved. I have went to many independant pentecostal churches as well and none of them have ever taught this. The only Pentecostals I know of that teach this are the Oneness pentecostals, the largest Oneness Pentecostal denom out there would be the United Pentecostal Church of America orr the ''UPC''. I believe the thought that one must speak in tongues to get into Heaven is very scarce even amoung most pentecostals.

Jan 31, 2009
Charity is the key and the first thing mentioned in chapter 14, which U cannot give to Urself. If U read chapter 13 it explains what happens to good intentions that are misplaced! devil tongues are nothing more than lies. Ex... it is more than hard to use Ur head to invent truth... its impossible. For any person to take a motion of truth, they need The Holy Spirit of The Lord God Most High Yahshua ben Yosef Ha' Mashiach ben Yahweh Yehovah Elohim!!! Here in lies my point: People (thats plural for person) have told me many times before, that the TRUE names above all names are devil talk. This is the danger with "unknown" tongues. It isn't even meant to be used in the presence of other believers.
1co 14:39Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with TONGUES.

Jan 31, 2009
I am from virginia. I go to a Church of God which is and pentecostal denomination very similar to the Assemblies of God, neither of which believe you must be baptized in the Holy Spirit or speak in tongues to be saved. I have went to many independant pentecostal churches as well and none of them have ever taught this. The only Pentecostals I know of that teach this are the Oneness pentecostals, the largest Oneness Pentecostal denom out there would be the United Pentecostal Church of America orr the ''UPC''. I believe the thought that one must speak in tongues to get into Heaven is very scarce even amoung most pentecostals.
very scary doctrine, that is why I am not pentecostal, among some other reasons

C

Cookie38115

You are right!!!! Thanks for bringing that point out!

[/color][/i][/b][/i]
You both are correct then is one type of tongues (which needs an interpreter that is intended to edify the Church, and another that need no interpretation that is for self edification and is between you and God not to be sooken aloud in public.

Apr 23, 2009
very scary doctrine, that is why I am not pentecostal, among some other reasons
I think you are referring to Oneness Pentecostals. They have many doctrinal differences besides the Trinity, than you run of the mill everyday Pentecostals.

D

doubleedge

I think this one went over everybody's head. I'm NOT disputing the relevance of ANY of the spiritual gifts, but rather the motive behind their usage!

D

doubleedge

Tongues is simply a reference to my personal encounter with The Spirit of God, TRUTH, Love, Peace, & Life Eternal!

D

doubleedge

I want a person to give me scriptural evidence that motive can save!

D

doubleedge

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!!

S

Slepsog4

doubleedge,

NOTE: The way you post is really irritating. Why do you post single statements at a time but run a whole series? Say what you have to say in one and let it be.

A

Astronut

Look all the natural disasters that took place after the 9/11 coverup?
Oh brother...
How did 2 planes knock down 3 buildings?
How do 2 fingers knock down 3 dominoes? It's called collateral damage. Falling buildings tend to drop debris on neighboring buildings, and indeed, it wasn't just 3 buildings that were destroyed; several other smaller ones suffered severe roof collapse.
Did U know jet fuel is 4/5 kerosene & doesn't even burn hot?
Did you know that offices are full of flammable materials?
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/1227842.html?page=4#steel
Jet fuel was merely the catalyst, and even jet fuel burns hot enough to cause steel to lose more than half its strength.
Propane burns hotter than jet fuel & can't even melt a camp fire grill?
The steel didn't melt, nor did it need to in order to cause a collapse.
How did the buildings fall at the rate of gravity after "blowing" into powder?
They didn't fall at the rate of gravity - anyone can look at the videos, time them from start to finish (NOT when the first piece of debris (perimeter column) that left the building hits the ground, but when the actual core finishes collapsing) and see that it's slower than 9.8m/s^2.
http://www.debunking911.com/freefall.htm
The devil has a veil over the world's eyes people!!! Wake up & get right with God!!!
Posts like this turn people off, so who has the veil?

D

doubleedge

Sorry for the irritation of frequent posting, but my Playstation 3 has limited typing capabilities!

A

Astronut

I was referring to building 7 specifically. Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXZpOjXWZKI&feature=related
I'm well aware of what you were talking about. Funny how you didn't mention the extensive damage to WTC 3,4,5, and 6 as well...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/myphotos1960/wtc6.jpg
So you see, WTC 1 and 2 did not fall "straight down" - their collateral damage took out 5 other buildings, one of which was large enough to progressively and rapidly collapse under its own weight after burning for hours on multiple floors.
http://www.debunking911.com/WTC7_Smoke.jpg
I've looked at the 9/11 conspiracy theory extensively and there's simply no truth in any of it.

Jan 8, 2009
How often do you play the PS3 doubleedge? Perhaps it is warping your sense of reality. Else brush up on your English communication skills:

Tongues is simply a reference to my personal encounter with The Spirit of God, TRUTH, Love, Peace, & Life Eternal!

Do you speak in tongues yourself? Yes or no.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
As I have understood by scripture tounges have 2 perposes, one for personal prayer so that you can pray what your spirit groans. Two, for those who come together in Jesus's name and pray. Also you should have one that can interpet present. Seems pretty clear to me. God bless, pickles

Jun 18, 2009
It's always interesting to me that no actually useful information is produced through "tongues". I find it remarkable that the only claims to gain are purely personal. I am aware that this supposed process is for personal edification, but find it very telling that this divine communication never actually produces anything in a wider spectrum. It's a lot like miracles these days...the virgin mary in a potato.

Sharp

May 5, 2009
As I have understood by scripture tounges have 2 perposes, one for personal prayer so that you can pray what your spirit groans. Two, for those who come together in Jesus's name and pray. Also you should have one that can interpet present. Seems pretty clear to me. God bless, pickles

There's no way of me knowing whether people who claim to speak in tongues are telling the truth, but of course I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because there is no basis for me to question their claims and few reasons for them to lie about it. What I'm still questioning though is the supposed purpose of it. Pickles, you have said that speaking in tongues is basically prayer. How do you know what you are praying about and how do you know if God has answered that prayer? I'm just wondering how useful it is. Also, what advantages does it have over regular prayer? If there is anyone here that has spoken in tongues before, could you please give an account of how it went, and the spiritual benefits you received from it?

Jan 8, 2009
If there is anyone here that has spoken in tongues before, could you please give an account of how it went, and the spiritual benefits you received from it?
None of God's gifts are without purpose or benefit. There are main benefits and side benefits. Main benefits are praying to God in a tongue guided by the Holy Spirit. You are praying in the spirit exactly what God wants you to pray. For example, if you prayed in English , you might pray about your daily grocery shopping list , when actually God wants you to pray for world peace or perhaps a person you would not normally pray for because you don't like them. If you pray in tongues, you pray what God wants.

Tongues involves surrender of your will to God's will, and can result in teaching you greater self control.

Tongues can increase your faith, which has benefits in every area.

However, tongues can simply be praising God instead of lengthy prayers. Which is still useful, you are praising God with the right words.

Side benefits of tongues are the feeling of closer connection to God, and thereby resulting in more fervancy and time spent in regular prayer in English. And increased answers to prayer due to that. Tongues also helps a person operate in the other gifts such as prophecy, because they are so similar. You could think of prophecy as simply tongues in English. i.e. you guided by the Spirit to speak words in a language you do understand. Tongues with interpretation is basically equivalent to prophecy.

We mustn't think tongues is limited to one purpose, such as world wide evangelism (which it isnt in practice, tongues has rarely been shown useful for evangelism or missionary work).
1 Cor 12:28 says there are diversities of tongues.

Scripture gives about 3 (and theres probably more) types or purposes of tongues:

There is tongues for personal edification ( 1 Cor 14:4)
Tongues for interpretation (1 Cor 14:5)
Tongues for a sign to unbelievers (1 Cor 14:22).

The sign to unbelievers is an interesting one. It is a type of mockery or judgement. God's people didn't hear Him when people came speaking in their own language, so he decided to send foreigners, or at least, people who sound like foreigners.

Isa 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
Logically, these people speaking in tongues, is not just meaningless gibberish just for the sake of having someone blabber to an unbeliever in another language. No. They are speaking inspired messages from God yet in another language. Which is why if accompanied with interpretation, it is equivalent to prophecy.

Now presumably, God would choose a language which is rare, so it really and truly is foreign to the hearer. Which is why I think God doesn't get many people today to speak in tongues whose tongues are German, French, Spanish, Chinese, or other common languages of the world. And it is because God chooses rare or even unknown languages, that Paul said asking God for interpretation is necessary (1 Cor 12:10). We can't rely upon language translators, because the tongue is most likely to be uncommon.

These reasons defeat the arguments that tongues are not real languages because they aren't in German or French or some language they expect it should be.

Some people say "if you tongues isn't a real language (and they expect it to be German or something common), it isn't from God". The thing with tongues is, it is not so much about the speaker, as about the hearer. It is not important whether the tongue speaker speaks in Chinese or an angelic tongue (if even possible), the focus is upon the hearer.

In the case of private prayer language, the hearer is God. He understands all languages, including the thoughts and intent of the heart and Spirit's will that accompanies it.

Jan 8, 2009
I mean to add:

Scripture shows that not only is the speaking in tongues miraculous, but so is the interpretation of it. So don't expect tongues to be in common languages like French or German, nor demand it to be such from tongue-speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.