TONGUES

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
There's no way of me knowing whether people who claim to speak in tongues are telling the truth, but of course I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because there is no basis for me to question their claims and few reasons for them to lie about it. What I'm still questioning though is the supposed purpose of it. Pickles, you have said that speaking in tongues is basically prayer. How do you know what you are praying about and how do you know if God has answered that prayer? I'm just wondering how useful it is. Also, what advantages does it have over regular prayer? If there is anyone here that has spoken in tongues before, could you please give an account of how it went, and the spiritual benefits you received from it?
I know there is scripture that covers this, I cant recall it all but it speaks of the groans of the spirit and what we cannot say ourselves. Each night when I pray in tounges I know that my prayers are absolutly true and from my heart. Being human and sinful in nature I always question if what I pray for is free of sin. When praying in tongues I know in spirit that my prayers are true. There is also scripture that says that God our father has already made known to our spirit what he has prepared for us in heaven. If scripture tells us that God our father speaks to our spirit it makes sence that our spirit can speak to him. Is not the perpose of accepting Jesus, obeadience and love of our Lord to allow our spirit to grow in Jesus? Many may debate about this but all I can say is that when I pray in tongues I know that it is the most honest and loving prayer that I can offer to Our Father in heaven through Jesus Christ by his Holy Spirit. If any of you can find the exact scripture, thankyou. Ill try to find it myself but it takes me awhile. Godbless, pickles

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I forgot to add, scripture says that not all will speak in tongues but seek ye after all these gifts. If some one says that you cannot be spirit filled or saved because you cannot do these things they go against the word. I have recieved prophetic word when hearing a prayer group pray in tongues. I can only say that it was a knowlage that became within me and the words flowed so perfectly from my mouth. When I have had these expeariances I was wittnessing not only to others but to myself also. Like everything in our Lord Jesus, it must be accepted in faith. I have always been puzzled by the fact that in a world that rejects us why we as christians would look to reject each other. The love of God Our Father is limitless, so there is plenty to go around. God bless, pickles

Sharp

May 5, 2009
Thanks for your answers Mahogany and Pickles. Ok, so when people speak in tongues, their spirits are groaning and asking God for things that the spirit needs but that the person doesn't know that they need. If these are things that our spirits need, and God knows we need them, but we don't know that we need them, why wouldn't God just give us these things instead of making us ask Him for them in languages that we don't understand?

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I think to simply put it, we often get in our own way and certain understandings are to great for minds. So God provided a way that will not be impeaded by our sinful and foolish thoughts. Ask yourself how many times you got in your own way of accomplishing something or your mind has wandered. I think that this is a wise gift from God. A way to pray and recieve without the sin, fears, worries or world getting in the way. Godbless, pickles

Jan 8, 2009
Thanks for your answers Mahogany and Pickles. Ok, so when people speak in tongues, their spirits are groaning and asking God for things that the spirit needs but that the person doesn't know that they need.

Not just spiritual needs, it could be anything. It may not even be petition (asking for things) it may simply be praises of God or stating things God has done.

If these are things that our spirits need, and God knows we need them, but we don't know that we need them, why wouldn't God just give us these things instead of making us ask Him for them in languages that we don't understand?
This comes down to the sovereignty of God, the nature of God and how the three person's of the Trinity interact, their roles, functions etc, and how we on earth by the Spirit communicate to the Father in Heaven. Why does the Spirit help us pray at all? Afterall the Spirit is God. Why pray at all? This is a bigger question not limited to the specific gift of tongues. God knows what we need before we even ask , so why do we need to ask?

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Not just spiritual needs, it could be anything. It may not even be petition (asking for things) it may simply be praises of God or stating things God has done.

This comes down to the sovereignty of God, the nature of God and how the three person's of the Trinity interact, their roles, functions etc, and how we on earth by the Spirit communicate to the Father in Heaven. Why does the Spirit help us pray at all? Afterall the Spirit is God. Why pray at all? This is a bigger question not limited to the specific gift of tongues. God knows what we need before we even ask , so why do we need to ask?
Amen to this, thankyou MahogonySnail. God bless, pickles

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
If God knows every thought or need why need ask? My sence from scripture is two parts, first because he has revieled some things to our spirit only, also simply to feed the spirit and streangthen it.Mostly because he has this gift for us for reasons beyond our understanding, and some things must be accepted in faith. God bless, pickles

Sharp

May 5, 2009
Thankyou. I am very satisfied with these answers.

So, Pickles and Mahogany, just out of curiosity, when you first came to believe that speaking in tongues was something you felt you wanted or needed to do, or that God was moving you to do, how did you go about it? Did you pray to God asking that He enable you to speak in tongues? Or did it just happen?

A

Alejandrox

talk in tongues means that everyone no matter the nationality can understand you and it only happens when you are talking about God in a place where there are ppl that talk another languages different to you...
that is only given by the holy spirit...

then if you are in a place where there is a person that is talking about God and you can't understand nothing then he is not talking in tongues!!!
.... and talk in tongues only happen in that special situation when everyone don't talk your language :)... and it is not nessesary to be SAVED!!!! JUST BELIEVE!!!. :)

May 21, 2009
Tongues are real. There in the bible. It's the spirit of God who lives inside talking to God in heaven. It's to strengthen you. Or to give a message from God to you or the church. No church should be saying anyone is not saved if they don't speak it. But the bible says for us to do it. If you don't know how just ask God. It gives you more power from God. Anyone should want that. It's just a matter of opening your mouth. It feels silly. But we're not to go by what we feel. We are to do as we told. God bless you.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009

So, Pickles and Mahogany, just out of curiosity, when you first came to believe that speaking in tongues was something you felt you wanted or needed to do, or that God was moving you to do, how did you go about it? Did you pray to God asking that He enable you to speak in tongues? Or did it just happen?
I was about 11 years old. It was an eye opener. I had been babysitting for a christian couple and there 5 yr old had prayed in tounges at bedtime prayers. The religion I was raised in had only taught that the apostles could pray in tongues. When the parents came home I brought this up as I was concerned. They shared with me that it is Gods gift to all. She told me it may seem wierd at first but to trust in Jesus. So that night when I prayed I tried and found I had the gift. I have spent time praying this way more and more over the years. It truelly is a gift as I knew I was pouring out all the hurt and sorrow I did not know how to express when I was young. Now it is not only Gods gift to me but My gift of praise to him. God bless, pickles

Jan 8, 2009

Sharp, when I was a teenager, my dad spoke in tongues, my mum didn't (never has). I'd seen others do it in church. I never doubted its reality, but had a lot of questions about how to get it and how it felt (eg did you lose control of yourself, your mind or what). About when I was 16 or 17 I wanted it for myself. Number of reasons, I felt there was something more to the Christian life. I didn't have the joy and peace that I had seen in others. I had a range of emotional and physical problems. I wanted to feel different. I read lots of books about it. But they don't really answer the questions like "do you lose control of yourself" etc, and I prayed and prayed for about 3 years asking for it but nothing ever happened. I often asked to be filled with the Spirit, expecting tongues to follow. One time when I was 19 at college I was asked to go out with friends for drinking as we usually did. I decided not to go. That night I spent time in prayer and a voice inside me "just open your mouth and start talking", since then I started to speak in tongues. The next morning , holy laughter and more tongues. I chose not to drink alcohol, and God chose to get me drunk in the Spirit. Be not drunk with wine, but be filled with the Spirit, that's what happened to me literally, LOL.

C

ChefMel

That's a great testimony, Mahogany. I remember praying and praying, like you for a number of years to be filled with the Spirit. I kept hearing and feeling "It is done" but I couldn't find it. I had heard for a long time that tongues was the only evidence of being properly saved. Once I found my gifts and my calling within my spirtual community and realized I HAD INDEED been filled with the Spirit in other ways and started to use them, the gift of tongues came as well.

Jan 8, 2009
well tongues is not the evidence of anything really..certainly not salvation, it is really only evidence that you speak in tongues hehehe.

E

eringobrea

Old testament, New testament. How many testaments do you need to confirm the baptism of the Holy Spirit? Tongues is evidence of something:
[SIZE=-1]Acts 19:6[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] When Paul placed his hands on them, the [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Holy Spirit came on[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] them, and they [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]spoke in tongues[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] and [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]prophesied[/SIZE][SIZE=-1].[/SIZE]
I appreciate your testimony Mahogony. The number of scriptures that support the baptism of fire and the speaking of tongues is many. And by the way, tongues do not edify selfishness, they edify ourselves. Big difference. Selfish is not in that verse. Don't put words in the bible. Bad.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
There's no way of me knowing whether people who claim to speak in tongues are telling the truth, but of course I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because there is no basis for me to question their claims and few reasons for them to lie about it. What I'm still questioning though is the supposed purpose of it. Pickles, you have said that speaking in tongues is basically prayer. How do you know what you are praying about and how do you know if God has answered that prayer? I'm just wondering how useful it is. Also, what advantages does it have over regular prayer? If there is anyone here that has spoken in tongues before, could you please give an account of how it went, and the spiritual benefits you received from it?
Hi Sharp, sorry I didnt catch this sooner. Been having issue with computer. Many times while praying in tongues I have known a release from a burden or a spiritual healing. Often I know that it is all praise. Then there have been those times of grace, where I am aware of God our fathers presence. These I treasure most. I know we all want to see the mirical. But Jesus did say blessed are those who do not see yet believe. I have learned more and more as I age that it is about faith and love. I have also learned that it is not about earning it but recieving. I have heard singing in tongues and as all did sing I heard within beautiful words from God. Wether it was just someone saying it or an interpitation I dont know for sure as I was too shy to question. I did recieve words of knowlage a few times and my shyness dissapeared. It was if I was moved to speak with courage that was not my own. My best thought on all of this is there is scripture about the gifts that says you cannot make these gifts happen. It is from God and his will. If anyone can find it Thankyou. I know I saw it in referance to the gift of prophacy. I know more than ever before now that all I am is by God our father, I am his creation, his child. I will be what he has for me to be . So I trust him and know all will be as it should be. One of my most loved understandings is that even though Our Lord God is God above all, he serves us contiually. God bless, pickles

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I Just realized I had answered this before. My age is showing. I guess Jesus wanted me to give more details. God bless, pickles

Status
Not open for further replies.