Tough Part of Being Christian

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
What part of being Christian, if any, is difficult for you? For me, it’s loving arrogant unbelievers. I pray such people come to have faith in Jesus, yet there are times I pray with clenched teeth, caught between love and indignation.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
What part of being Christian, if any, is difficult for you? For me, it’s loving arrogant unbelievers. I pray such people come to have faith in Jesus, yet there are times I pray with clenched teeth, caught between love and indignation.
Can we add arrogant believers?

Mar 4, 2020
Jesus said His yoke is easy and burden is light so Christianity should actually be a cake walk for the genuine believer who accepts the love and grace of God. I live with some people who are really hard to get along wkth, God knows, and we fight and things can get pretty foul. I feel guilty for being mean because I know it's wrong.

The conversion process to Christianity is not an instant transformation into the image of Christ and no sinners can attain that level of holiness. So for people who were raised quite worldly, the list of things they need to change might be extensive. So sanctification varies for each unique person, but as long as they have faith and keep the faith they're in through the narrow gate.

E

EleventhHour

Can we add arrogant believers?
Can you define this or provide an example? I think it is a very interesting point but I think important to be clear what we have in view.

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
Jesus said His yoke is easy and burden is light so Christianity should actually be a cake walk for the genuine believer who accepts the love and grace of God. I live with some people who are really hard to get along wkth, God knows, and we fight and things can get pretty foul. I feel guilty for being mean because I know it's wrong.

The conversion process to Christianity is not an instant transformation into the image of Christ and no sinners can attain that level of holiness. So for people who were raised quite worldly, the list of things they need to change might be extensive. So sanctification varies for each unique person, but as long as they have faith and keep the faith they're in through the narrow gate.
Yeah, I know how you feel. I've had to apologize to people more than a few times and many times it wasn't even my fault to start with, but the way I dealt with it was wrong. So I guess my temper would probably be my biggest down fall. I need to learn to walk away and pray for others. Jesus didn't fight and argue when he was hanging on the cross...He said father forgive them for they know not what they do. So this is something that I have to pray about often, learning to be more patient with others, and letting things go and putting it in God's hands.

Mar 4, 2020
Yeah, I know how you feel. I've had to apologize to people more than a few times and many times it wasn't even my fault to start with, but the way I dealt with it was wrong. So I guess my temper would probably be my biggest down fall. I need to learn to walk away and pray for others. Jesus didn't fight and argue when he was hanging on the cross...He said father forgive them for they know not what they do. So this is something that I have to pray about often, learning to be more patient with others, and letting things go and putting it in God's hands.
Absolutely. I think most people mean well but emotions are real and those influence us. I can intellectually think one thing but emotionally feel entirely different. That's part of the struggle of the flesh I guess?

B

ByStillWaters

An arrogant believer hardens their own hearts!
Even when God extends His grace and mercy , they are too arrogant to ask forgiveness of those offended.
Their belief is hanging on a very thin thread!

E

EleventhHour

An arrogant believer hardens their own hearts!
Even when God extends His grace and mercy , they are too arrogant to ask forgiveness of those offended.
Their belief is hanging on a very thin thread!
See I do not see that as arrogant. Perhaps a lack of humility.?

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
See I do not see that as arrogant. Perhaps a lack of humility.?
Arrogant definition, making claims or pretensions to superior importance or rights; overbearingly assuming; insolently proud.

I'm not sure what the OP meant as arrogant but by this definition I have met a few on this site. Luckily only a few are on ignore so I am not tempted to debate them for days only to get no where and to gain nothing but a headache. Granted I no longer spend much time on subjects I believe are not worth hashing out in divisions.

E

EleventhHour

Arrogant definition, making claims or pretensions to superior importance or rights; overbearingly assuming; insolently proud.

I'm not sure what the OP meant as arrogant but by this definition I have met a few on this site. Luckily only a few are on ignore so I am not tempted to debate them for days only to get no where and to gain nothing but a headache. Granted I no longer spend much time on subjects I believe are not worth hashing out in divisions.
LOL... I get a headache for sure.

I do think sometimes we perceive people as arrogant but they are not... just confident.

I have only met one or two truly arrogant people, very rich, highly educated, entitled types, who really thought they were all that... it ain't pretty.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
LOL... I get a headache for sure.

I do think sometimes we perceive people as arrogant but they are not... just confident.

I have only met one or two truly arrogant people, very rich, highly educated, entitled types, who really thought they were all that... it ain't pretty.
Very true but I also wonder if some use arrogance as way to feel confident.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019

I'm not sure what the OP meant as arrogant but by this definition I have met a few on this site.
This morning I went to visit my mother who lives across the street from a bar and a religiously-based bakery. There was a garbage can in the middle of the road with beer cans and beer bottles strewn everywhere, so I picked up the garbage can and brought it over to the bar.

The bakery owner, an unbeliever who despises anyone outside their religious community, was sitting in the bakery and yelled out to me that the garbage can did not belong to the bar owner.

IOWs rather than picking the can out of the street, the bakery owner sat back and waited for someone else to do it, then criticized that person (me) for taking the can to the wrong place. I bit my tongue and walked away rather than picking the can back up and disposing of it in the bakery.

E

EleventhHour

Very true but I also wonder if some use arrogance as way to feel confident.
Interesting, my thinking is that the truly confident person will own up to an error which I have seen many times on CC and BDF.

So to continue in pop psychology ... :) .....maybe the arrogance is to cover up insecurity?
Hard to say.. I guess for believers best to focus on Jesus and learn from Him.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
This morning I went to visit my mother who lives across the street from a bar and a religiously-based bakery. There was a garbage can in the middle of the road with beer cans and beer bottles strewn everywhere, so I picked up the garbage can and brought it over to the bar.

The bakery owner, an unbeliever who despises anyone outside their religious community, was sitting in the bakery and yelled out to me that the garbage can did not belong to the bar owner.

IOWs rather than picking the can out of the street, the bakery owner sat back and waited for someone else to do it, then criticized that person (me) for taking the can to the wrong place. I bit my tongue and walked away rather than picking the can back up and disposing of it in the bakery.
I work with people like that. Especially when I was new. I would work on something with people all around just to find out after wasting time I was doing it wrong. They would finally come up and tell me instead of helping to begin with they waited until I was almost done.