Toys You Wanted As A Kid But Never Got

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

MollyConnor

I wanted a trampoline. My mom said it was too expensive and dangerous. :(

N

NoNameMcgee

Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle

(lol jp a trampoline would have been great)

J0Hnnatcc3

May 26, 2017
Yeah, same here, although I didn't beg for it or anything​ like that. Then again, I had 3 or 4 friends who had tramps so I got my fill I guess.

C

CaptainGoat

Well. There were many things richer parents could get, but looking back on it, I wouldn't have changed my childhood at all. It was such a good time and place to live. God had a hand on my family even though back then none of us knew Him other then knowing there was a God. And each of life's struggles were compensated through living a life that even wealthier families could not live. We had animals and food from the garden. We were blessed to live in places many could only dream of owning!
Things I didn't have... I missed out on the BMX craze because they were well out of my parents budgets. But is did have an old single speed roadster which taught me how to handle a bike off road. I did things on that that those with the bmx's didn't do. I did break a few axles and other bits which made me quickly learn how to fix things.
I had a well blessed just right childhood!
The things I didn't get that I wanted ended up either being fashion flops, or later I had better when I had an income of my own.
I remember selling three or four good working bicycles and a moped (Which my dad had as id lost faith in it as it left me stranded! My brother had it after that and the police mechanics tuned it up for him and it did 68mph on their rollers... Was a 50cc Yamaha QT50) and also with saving up, I bought a most fantastic touring bike when I was 17. I was growing out of the last bicycle. The last bike was fantastic. My parents took a good year and a half paying for that. It was a 12 speed Falcon, and back in those days nearly everything was 10 speed. The touring bike I bought was a Dawes Galaxy. I still have the bike and though I've rebuilt it many times, I've kept the general outline in having touring randoneur drop handlebars, a triple chain set (Rare on road bikes in 1989) and a freewheel except it used to be 18 speed and now it is 21. I have widened the gear range a bit also via taking apart old freewheels and chain sets and rebuilding them as custom made units. Here I need a wide gearing range as I have a steep climb to get home, and I may as well slightly increase the other end of the range as well... Other upgrades were a leather saddle, box section rims (On about the eigth rear and about the fourth or fifth front wheel since I've had the bike), stronger brake levers (The old drilled out Weinmanns were prone to failure and after one broke I decided to change the pair for Shimano 600 levers which were the older type so allowed external cabling) and the gear levers to a similar type but with seven speed indexing instead of six, and many other smaller upgrades less noticeable to most.
All in all it is as good today then it was when new! If not, better. It feels nice to ride. I've changed the stem to be just the right position to suit my height and reach. I like it!

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Can't think of a thing. Not that we were rich and got everything in the world, I just don't remember wanting a lot of toys. At Christmas I was always surprised by the toys I got, that I didn't know I wanted until I opened the package and saw how neat they were.

I never got as much amusement out of toys as I did out of a 55 gallon drum though. I enjoyed standing on it and pushing one side to make it roll.

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
I wanted this toy my cousin had. It was like a view finder, but you could turn the spinner, and the picture would appear to be moving like a Disney movie scene. There was no sound, but I loved it.

I also wanted Barbie rubbing cards. You could mix and match tops with skirts or pants, and shoes. You then put a piece of paper on it, and rubbed it with a crayon. The image would show up. You could then color and decorate your outfits. There was also a monster one- where you could create different monsters. I admit I wanted that one too.

A Ninteno system, a trampoline with a net around it, and an inground pool.

[video]https://youtu.be/ptvlJmK_w9U[/video]

C

CaptainGoat

I remember the viewfinder things. Never had one but others did and I got to look through them. I remember having a Grandstand electronic game. That was cool! Though one kid who was from a year younger then me once tried it and he would rush to play my game. He would be home from school before I did and he would be playing it for ages. I didn't really mind but my parents had to say a few words as I wasn't there sometimes and sometimes he wouldn't go... He was a nice kid though. Often think what happened to him.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Oh man... What toys DIDN'T I want as a kid? At one point in time when I was growing up, you name it, I wanted it:

* Trampoline.
* Swimming pool.
* Barbies.
* Strawberry Shortcake dolls.
* Glitter-filled tube bracelets.
* Jelly shoes.
* Hello Kitty accessories.
* Alien spaceship (ok, ok, so that wasn't me... but I have a friend who STILL wants one.)

My family didn't have much when I was growing up, and my parents were watching every penny.

At the time, it seemed TERRIBLE (it took a lot of sweet-talking to get my Mom to buy me a fancy schmancy Trapper Keeper one year for school), but as an adult, I'm VERY thankful for the lessons they taught me in delayed gratification and not buying everything I wanted.

HOWEVER... Now that I CAN make those decisions...

I just may or may not be sipping coffee from a Hello Kitty coffee mug as I type this. :cool:

Sometimes, being a grown-up isn't so bad. :D

notmyown

May 26, 2016
i want to give my grandsons a trampoline. but my daughter says it's too expensive and dangerous. :(

C

CaptainGoat

i want to give my grandsons a trampoline. but my daughter says it's too expensive and dangerous. :(
Is probably one of the number one "Toys" to cause injuries. Pedal go carts and bicycles may be a better plan? How about a swing or a slide? :) Trampolines do look fun but buy a cage round it if buying one.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
HOWEVER... Now that I CAN make those decisions...

I just may or may not be sipping coffee from a Hello Kitty coffee mug as I type this. :cool:

Sometimes, being a grown-up isn't so bad. :D
Now it's our turn!

And we can define it any way we want!

notmyown

May 26, 2016
Is probably one of the number one "Toys" to cause injuries. Pedal go carts and bicycles may be a better plan? How about a swing or a slide? :) Trampolines do look fun but buy a cage round it if buying one.
well, i would! :)
their yard is too small atm, anyway. and the kids are just 1 and 2 years old.

just pointing out how much kids and grandparents are alike. (we both need naps and we both like Little Bear...)
it's that middle generation that's forced to adult. :D

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Now it's our turn!

And we can define it any way we want!
I have a good friend whom I've threatened for years to take to a Chuck E Cheese or Peter Piper Pizza in order to make him jump around inside the ball pit with me.

Now in order to fully appreciate this, you have to know that my friend is in his late 30's, black, and slightly resembles Ice Cube (my friend is usually smiling, but he can throw down and give a heart-stopping sneer with the best of 'em.)

I've heard that ball pits have been discontinued in most places due to problems with sanitation.

I'm thinking... I'm gonna make my friend go jump in one of those inflatable, bouncy castles instead.

C

CaptainGoat

Sanitation? Are they used as a toilet? Kittylitter?

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Sanitation? Are they used as a toilet? Kittylitter?
Pretty much, yes.

I don't want to get into the gory details but apparently they were having too many problems with some parents hiding dirty diapers and/or messes (their kids getting sick from the jumping, etc.) at the bottoms of the pits.

notmyown

May 26, 2016
I have a good friend whom I've threatened for years to take to a Chuck E Cheese or Peter Piper Pizza in order to make him jump around inside the ball pit with me.

Now in order to fully appreciate this, you have to know that my friend is in his late 30's, black, and slightly resembles Ice Cube (my friend is usually smiling, but he can throw down and give a heart-stopping sneer with the best of 'em.)

I've heard that ball pits have been discontinued in most places due to problems with sanitation.

I'm thinking... I'm gonna make my friend go jump in one of those inflatable, bouncy castles instead.
i bet there's just one topping at Peter Piper Pizza. (sorry, never heard of the place, but that must be a sad tired old joke)

and yeah, once you've seen a kid barf in the ball pit or come out sans diaper, no thanks! :eek:

bouncy castle, hey! maybe the kids would go for that? :rolleyes:

C

CaptainGoat

Pretty much, yes.

I don't want to get into the gory details but apparently they were having too many problems with some parents hiding dirty diapers and/or messes (their kids getting sick from the jumping, etc.) at the bottoms of the pits.
Oh dear. (Sorry. Can't "like" that as it would imply it is a good thing...)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Well the only sanitary thing to do is get your own bunch of balls.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Some of the toys mentioned we dont normally have, so i never imagined wanting a trampoline... but there was something red on wheels i saw in foreign storybooks that i rather dreamed about but never saw here. A wagon to pull other toys and dolls around here=).

Maka

Jun 26, 2017
Slip and slide but appently it's ruins the lawn. ??????