TREASURE ON EARTH?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A must to be a disciple... Our love for Christ must be so fervent that by comparison we hate our natural families...
 
all who Love Jesus 'tithe', in the way that He leads them, and no man can
discern this gift of His to those whom He leads...
 
I wish I could give more, but God says to pay our bills. I owe more than I get. It's not like I go and buy a huge tv, or big expensive furniture. I have one tiny tv, I don't even have a dresser, and often can't even afford to take my laundry to the laundromat. Yet when you are in a congregation full of rich people, they expect you to wear expensive clothes, and have plenty of money to cover everything. But my dollar don't stretch as far as theirs. It's like they have a king size blanket that covers them and their spouse, and still overflows off the bed. While I have a tiny throw, and have to choose- if I want to cover my feet my arms get cold, and if I pull it up to my shoulders my legs are cold. I'm not as blessed as they are, and have to make do with what I've got- which is not even enough blanket for myself.

I don't even make it paycheck to paycheck, I just wait all month to be able to wash clothes. Yet they have a washer and dryer in their homes that they can use whenever they wish, without quarters. Meanwhile, when I do hold back on paying bills so that I can do laundry, it it takes all day- you have to keep going to see if someone from another apartment has their laundry in it, then if it is free it takes 5-7 hours to dry one load cause the dryer barely ever heats. It's easy to say just do this or just pay that when you have the means to, but I don't have that luxury like they do.

I have been judged for not giving enough, but I just have to ignore it or fret about it- either way you have no choice to give little when that's all you have. I tried to give large sums, and ended up with shutoff notices- that I need to pay back- so if they went to the shut off in the first place instead of in the collection plate, it's the same distance my money will stretch. And when people who get paid every week pay money back, they can do so in a few weeks, but I only get paid once a month, so it takes me a few months. And so I always think ahead to my next check, and always think it's already gone because of bills I owe- so every month I do t have money to myself. Meanwhile, (speaking from experience) church members have come to me, the poorest member, and ask me to fund so many things, when I can't even barely make it myself. And so they judge me.

I've learned to ignore it. It does not change when I can pay them back or pay them extra- it's going to be the same amount of time whether they judge me or not, or whether I stress about it or not. And if they judge me they show a lack of patience, love, and that it's about money to them. Yet if they were around me in my everyday life, they would see that even as poor as I am, love always tops money. I do pay people back, I do help people when I can free of charge, these always come first before I spend money on myself- which is why my clothes have holes. But my many judges think I kick my feet up and fan out my money while watch a big expensive tv, while ignoring them financially.

I once went without tv for over a year, during which i was accused of sitting on the couch all day watching tv. They didn't know I'm busy all day everyday cooking and cleaning for my house and other peoples houses, teach children, teach the Bible online, make things, sew things, fix things, etc- ALL of which are jobs that people get paid for, but I guess since I don't get paid it's not work to them.

I finally figured out people are going to judge me no matter what- a judgement that has no effect cause only God is Judge, so why give it the time of day? The ONLY difference it can make is in my stress level, and God's judgement of them "do not judge lest you be judged" and "Who are you to judge another man's servant". Not one of these judges in my life will correct me with love to my face if they think my soul is in danger, they will wise only think it or express it with angry words or facial expressions. They don't care about me, they care about how they are effected.

Lol sorry for for the rant, I guess that needed to come out.

If I had that kind of money, like they do, I would even live below my means purposely in order to give as much as I want to in my heart. As it is now, I'm only o e step above homeless, and have been homeless many times. Did I judge them for not helping me? No I did not, not even once. That's between them and God. I understand that the church is made of erring people, and their bad behavior is their decision- not God's doctrine.
 
  • Like
Reactions: breno785au
I can see how tithing could be a part of this, but it is not the ONLY thing the Scripture is talking about/teaching.....IMO

Read John Gill's thoughts from Matthew 6:21 (same teaching):

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

This seems to be a proverbial expression, and contains in it another reason, dissuading from worldly mindedness; because of the danger the heart is in of being ensnared and ruined thereby: and the sense of it is, if your treasure is on earth, and lies in earthly things, your hearts will be set upon them, and be in them, in your bags, your coffers and storehouses; and so your souls will be in danger of being lost; which loss will be an irreparable one, though you should gain the whole world. But if your treasure is put into the hands of God, your hearts will be with him, and be settled on him; your desires will be after heavenly things; your affections will be set on things above; your conversation will be in heaven, whilst you are on earth; and that will be the place and seat of your happiness, to all eternity.


 
I wish I could give more, but God says to pay our bills. I owe more than I get. It's not like I go and buy a huge tv, or big expensive furniture. I have one tiny tv, I don't even have a dresser, and often can't even afford to take my laundry to the laundromat. Yet when you are in a congregation full of rich people, they expect you to wear expensive clothes, and have plenty of money to cover everything. But my dollar don't stretch as far as theirs. It's like they have a king size blanket that covers them and their spouse, and still overflows off the bed. While I have a tiny throw, and have to choose- if I want to cover my feet my arms get cold, and if I pull it up to my shoulders my legs are cold. I'm not as blessed as they are, and have to make do with what I've got- which is not even enough blanket for myself.

I don't even make it paycheck to paycheck, I just wait all month to be able to wash clothes. Yet they have a washer and dryer in their homes that they can use whenever they wish, without quarters. Meanwhile, when I do hold back on paying bills so that I can do laundry, it it takes all day- you have to keep going to see if someone from another apartment has their laundry in it, then if it is free it takes 5-7 hours to dry one load cause the dryer barely ever heats. It's easy to say just do this or just pay that when you have the means to, but I don't have that luxury like they do.

I have been judged for not giving enough, but I just have to ignore it or fret about it- either way you have no choice to give little when that's all you have. I tried to give large sums, and ended up with shutoff notices- that I need to pay back- so if they went to the shut off in the first place instead of in the collection plate, it's the same distance my money will stretch. And when people who get paid every week pay money back, they can do so in a few weeks, but I only get paid once a month, so it takes me a few months. And so I always think ahead to my next check, and always think it's already gone because of bills I owe- so every month I do t have money to myself. Meanwhile, (speaking from experience) church members have come to me, the poorest member, and ask me to fund so many things, when I can't even barely make it myself. And so they judge me.

I've learned to ignore it. It does not change when I can pay them back or pay them extra- it's going to be the same amount of time whether they judge me or not, or whether I stress about it or not. And if they judge me they show a lack of patience, love, and that it's about money to them. Yet if they were around me in my everyday life, they would see that even as poor as I am, love always tops money. I do pay people back, I do help people when I can free of charge, these always come first before I spend money on myself- which is why my clothes have holes. But my many judges think I kick my feet up and fan out my money while watch a big expensive tv, while ignoring them financially.

I once went without tv for over a year, during which i was accused of sitting on the couch all day watching tv. They didn't know I'm busy all day everyday cooking and cleaning for my house and other peoples houses, teach children, teach the Bible online, make things, sew things, fix things, etc- ALL of which are jobs that people get paid for, but I guess since I don't get paid it's not work to them.

I finally figured out people are going to judge me no matter what- a judgement that has no effect cause only God is Judge, so why give it the time of day? The ONLY difference it can make is in my stress level, and God's judgement of them "do not judge lest you be judged" and "Who are you to judge another man's servant". Not one of these judges in my life will correct me with love to my face if they think my soul is in danger, they will wise only think it or express it with angry words or facial expressions. They don't care about me, they care about how they are effected.

Lol sorry for for the rant, I guess that needed to come out.

If I had that kind of money, like they do, I would even live below my means purposely in order to give as much as I want to in my heart. As it is now, I'm only o e step above homeless, and have been homeless many times. Did I judge them for not helping me? No I did not, not even once. That's between them and God. I understand that the church is made of erring people, and their bad behavior is their decision- not God's doctrine.

I'm speechless, but thank you for sharing.
 
I wish I could give more, but God says to pay our bills. I owe more than I get. It's not like I go and buy a huge tv, or big expensive furniture. I have one tiny tv, I don't even have a dresser, and often can't even afford to take my laundry to the laundromat. Yet when you are in a congregation full of rich people, they expect you to wear expensive clothes, and have plenty of money to cover everything. But my dollar don't stretch as far as theirs. It's like they have a king size blanket that covers them and their spouse, and still overflows off the bed. While I have a tiny throw, and have to choose- if I want to cover my feet my arms get cold, and if I pull it up to my shoulders my legs are cold. I'm not as blessed as they are, and have to make do with what I've got- which is not even enough blanket for myself.

I don't even make it paycheck to paycheck, I just wait all month to be able to wash clothes. Yet they have a washer and dryer in their homes that they can use whenever they wish, without quarters. Meanwhile, when I do hold back on paying bills so that I can do laundry, it it takes all day- you have to keep going to see if someone from another apartment has their laundry in it, then if it is free it takes 5-7 hours to dry one load cause the dryer barely ever heats. It's easy to say just do this or just pay that when you have the means to, but I don't have that luxury like they do.

I have been judged for not giving enough, but I just have to ignore it or fret about it- either way you have no choice to give little when that's all you have. I tried to give large sums, and ended up with shutoff notices- that I need to pay back- so if they went to the shut off in the first place instead of in the collection plate, it's the same distance my money will stretch. And when people who get paid every week pay money back, they can do so in a few weeks, but I only get paid once a month, so it takes me a few months. And so I always think ahead to my next check, and always think it's already gone because of bills I owe- so every month I do t have money to myself. Meanwhile, (speaking from experience) church members have come to me, the poorest member, and ask me to fund so many things, when I can't even barely make it myself. And so they judge me.

I've learned to ignore it. It does not change when I can pay them back or pay them extra- it's going to be the same amount of time whether they judge me or not, or whether I stress about it or not. And if they judge me they show a lack of patience, love, and that it's about money to them. Yet if they were around me in my everyday life, they would see that even as poor as I am, love always tops money. I do pay people back, I do help people when I can free of charge, these always come first before I spend money on myself- which is why my clothes have holes. But my many judges think I kick my feet up and fan out my money while watch a big expensive tv, while ignoring them financially.

I once went without tv for over a year, during which i was accused of sitting on the couch all day watching tv. They didn't know I'm busy all day everyday cooking and cleaning for my house and other peoples houses, teach children, teach the Bible online, make things, sew things, fix things, etc- ALL of which are jobs that people get paid for, but I guess since I don't get paid it's not work to them.

I finally figured out people are going to judge me no matter what- a judgement that has no effect cause only God is Judge, so why give it the time of day? The ONLY difference it can make is in my stress level, and God's judgement of them "do not judge lest you be judged" and "Who are you to judge another man's servant". Not one of these judges in my life will correct me with love to my face if they think my soul is in danger, they will wise only think it or express it with angry words or facial expressions. They don't care about me, they care about how they are effected.

Lol sorry for for the rant, I guess that needed to come out.

If I had that kind of money, like they do, I would even live below my means purposely in order to give as much as I want to in my heart. As it is now, I'm only o e step above homeless, and have been homeless many times. Did I judge them for not helping me? No I did not, not even once. That's between them and God. I understand that the church is made of erring people, and their bad behavior is their decision- not God's doctrine.


dear heart ♥

God loves you! i am certain there are things well beyond mere money you can, and do, give to others.
money is easy to give. giving time is much more expensive, imho.
 
yes, she is a 'dear heart', and as you so well stated, 'giving time', heart, is so much more.................
 

Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give,
not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

(2 Corinthians 9:7)

​
i thought we already had this thread?
 
If your hung up---too focused on certain "doctrines"---this is probably a sign you are preaching ideas verses Christ...Riding a horse that's going nowhere is foolish... Grace and Peace

is this right . . . . ?
 
Some of the people I 've encountered over 40 years----teaching and preaching----are messed up with lots of ideas they become fixated on---- their who!e world revolves around their teaching or focus---' this is usually unhealthy---- they tend to be contentious----and angry. Not judging anybody---- but we all must examine our hearts and motives--:- some people like to fight for Christ----probably better too just serve....
 
Some of the people I 've encountered over 40 years----teaching and preaching----are messed up with lots of ideas they become fixated on---- their who!e world revolves around their teaching or focus---' this is usually unhealthy---- they tend to be contentious----and angry. Not judging anybody---- but we all must examine our hearts and motives--:- some people like to fight for Christ----probably better too just serve....

i know some people hung up on tithing. on either side.

((maybe you don't really mean "tithe" - you mean give?))

instead of trying to shame or command people, i think it's better to proclaim the greatness of God in how that you have nothing that was not given to you, and the mercy of God in that the Son became the servant of all, in order to redeem us also into servants, that we may rule with Him.
if people love Him, they will walk as He walked. and they will give as their heart purposes, not under compulsion or reluctantly, but happily. freely, as we were given.
 
Don't mean to come off the wrong way---just hoping the Holy Spirit will speak to people as it pleases Him...God is always desiring to use love as the chief motive in all things----but we must realize the Word is full of exhortations...sometimes the Word can be uncomfortable----I remember a teacher from the 70's that was awesome---he said he came to comfort the afflicted----and to afflict the comforted---those "at ease in Zion"...Grace and Peace