TROLLS ARE SICK PEOPLE

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

AuntieAnt

I don't know what the big deal about shame is..... it's pretty effective at keeping me out of trouble.
Well, God never shames me but people sure do. And that's my flesh, of course. That's why it's easier to accept correction from a loving brother or sister in Christ rather than a harsh person.

My father used to say to us kids, "We don't talk like that." or "We don't treat people that way." He didn't make us kids feel ashamed but rather that we were all growing and learning together as a family. He made himself an example with us. When he passed away, our step-dad was the very opposite. It was 100x harder to witness my siblings being crushed by him than it was to endure it myself. :p

It's so icky to my flesh when a person who is always criticizing others acts like they have it together all the time. They call people names and question if they're a "real" Christian, and try to wield authority by using scriptures to justify their criticism. I have a hard time dying to someone picking on another. :::sigh:::

Dec 28, 2016
Well, God never shames me
Sort of. Consider this:

But what fruit were you getting at that time from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. - Romans 6:21.

ἐπαισχύνομαι
epaischunomai
ep-ahee-skhoo'-nom-ahee
From G1909 and G153; to feel shame for something: - be ashamed

God brings his people to this place post conversion.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Well, God never shames me but people sure do. And that's my flesh, of course. That's why it's easier to accept correction from a loving brother or sister in Christ rather than a harsh person.

My father used to say to us kids, "We don't talk like that." or "We don't treat people that way." He didn't make us kids feel ashamed but rather that we were all growing and learning together as a family. He made himself an example with us. When he passed away, our step-dad was the very opposite. It was 100x harder to witness my siblings being crushed by him than it was to endure it myself. :p

It's so icky to my flesh when a person who is always criticizing others acts like they have it together all the time. They call people names and question if they're a "real" Christian, and try to wield authority by using scriptures to justify their criticism. I have a hard time dying to someone picking on another. :::sigh:::

I just never wanted to bring shame to my family..... then I'd feel like I would have to take a tanto to my guts.

A

AuntieAnt

Sort of. Consider this:

But what fruit were you getting at that time from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. - Romans 6:21.

ἐπαισχύνομαι
epaischunomai
ep-ahee-skhoo'-nom-ahee
From G1909 and G153; to feel shame for something: - be ashamed

God brings his people to this place post conversion.
I did not say my flesh doesn't get ashamed or that I don't have regrets. But that's the flesh. I don't have a flesh relationship with God because my "old man" is dead. I gotta keep reminding myself daily that the flesh is carnal, it's our own understanding, not spiritual truth.

God NEVER shames me. He has no reason to. He only relates to His Spirit within me. Of that I am absolutely sure. :eek:

Dec 28, 2016
I did not say my flesh doesn't get ashamed or that I don't have regrets.
And I never said or implied any of the above concerning you so that point is moot. All I did was offer Biblical evidence of where God brings his people, and bring them there he does.

God NEVER shames me
God brings his people to a place of shame for their sin; Romans 6:21. Of that I am absolutely sure.

Eromonnis

Dec 21, 2017
I think there needs to be a better distinction between what is shame and what is guilt.

Guilt says to us "I made a mistake, I better not do that again". Guilt is healthy because it motivates us to change.

Shame says to us "I am a mistake, so what's the point of changing". Shame is toxic because NOBODY is a mistake. God does not make mistakes, we do.

The truth about shame is that the person who made the mistake has not changed due to some fear of changing. So they keep repeating the mistake, and end up believing that they are a mistake ("I am stupid", I am hopeless" etc). Of course others who label others as a mistake (eg; "Your insane, stupid, idiot, etc) don't help none. This is shaming in the more obvious way.

The truth again is that nobody is a mistake, they are just afraid to change. Sometimes this is because they don't know how to change, or cope, or be responsible. In any case, it is some fear that stops them.

Eromonnis

Dec 21, 2017
Do you believe a Christian can behave in a trollish manner, or are you condemning them all as lost? By the way, what is a "practicing" Christian?
Christians behave in a trollish manner because they have lost sight of their own salvation at that moment. They are acting out of fear. Nobody is perfect, and we all are prone to fear. It is never about never being fearful, but about dealing with fear, through faith, asap...that is the quest of a practicing Christian.

A

AuntieAnt

Lol that blew up quickly...
Heehee!! Nothing blew up, WineRose. Don't worry, dear.

The internet leaves a lot to be desired. It's certainly not the same as folks sitting with each other talking normally, ya know? Any little word or phrase can get misconstrued and snowball into oblivion. :rolleyes:

Dec 28, 2016
Any little word or phrase can get misconstrued and snowball into oblivion.
Or, mention a Scripture that dismantles or challenges held beliefs and become the recipient of implied false accusations, defensiveness and evidence of the person being appalled at such a notion. And now add in a feeble attempt to ridicule the person.

I mean, if you can go at it like this upon another person who mentioned Scripture, I can see why some would feel no shame for their behavior.

All this, instead of glorying in where God brings his people.

I am thankful that God brings his people to such a state as Romans 6:21, actual shame for their past. It's a good thing, and it's biblical, so I will glory in it. How others react to his word is not up to me but it is a commentary, that's for sure.

Dec 28, 2016
Christians behave in a trollish manner because they have lost sight of their own salvation at that moment. They are acting out of fear. Nobody is perfect, and we all are prone to fear. It is never about never being fearful, but about dealing with fear, through faith, asap...that is the quest of a practicing Christian.
I don't believe it has a thing to do with fear, or dealing with it through faith &c.

There are real trolls and they tend to get banned quickly, but I don't believe your OP is addressing this.

Thinking of others as a troll becomes subjective, like if a person irritates another, or some other subjective poor feeling arises toward a person, or if they have disagreed with you, or have exposed an error, then they are accused of "trolling." I'd say those reacting to these calling them trolls are the ones who are in fear and probably also struggle with pride and anger.

Dec 28, 2016
You rarely if ever use Scripture as if all truth comes from subjectivity. I wish you'd get your ideology from the word, not from subjective thought. There is authority in his word, not ours. Scripture speaks of shame, shame for the believer and the unbeliever.

Feb 28, 2016
when one is exposed, we all should know what their responses will be...
it's 101, every time, 'self-defense', over and over, something Jesus NEVER, EVER, did...

this always shows a lack of true humility and a willing heart to submit and learn...
two things that Christ demands for those whom He calls...

also, if we truly want to grow and learn in all humility, we will never 'play' the devil's advocate...
this is a no brainer...

A

AuntieAnt

Those that troll get pleasure from upsetting and hurting others. This is what evil does.
They are not practicing Christians, though many falsely claim to be.

Trolls are sick, and they exploit others for their remedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9INTt_3yNo
I just watched this video. Wow, what an eye opener! It tells how some people are so mentally unstable that they spend much of their day targeting certain people to antagonize and discredit them for thrills. They'll even work together with other trolls like a tag team to bully others. I think one of the most obvious signs of a troll is that they act out like wasps, stinging again and again without remorse. Another sign is that they rarely show any humility or vulnerability.

Truthfully, I think they are fueled by envy more than anything else. Trolls have no control over their life circumstances and get enraged at the sight of those who are happy and free. They attack people they're jealous of. Does that make sense?